Author Topic: Falmouth cop's Buddhist support group  (Read 5356 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Falmouth cop's Buddhist support group
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
This is interesting...a support group for Buddhist members of the police force. A Buddhist community or sangha is one of the pillar-stones of Buddhism: it is part of the trinity of the three jewels. Having the support of a community in our Dharma practice can make a big difference sometimes as we get people who will still support us even when we are down and give us that extra push that we need and help us resolve our doubts when they arise. Anyway, I rejoice greatly for these police officers: may their journey in Dharma be rewarding!

Falmouth cop's Buddhist support group

11:00am Thursday 5th July 2012 in News By Greg Fountain, Reporter/Photographer

A support group for Buddhist police officers, which aims to have a global reach, has been started by Falmouth's very own neighbourhood sergeant, Gary Watts.

The Buddhist Police Support Network (BPSN) is designed to provide a forum in which police officers and staff who share a common belief system can “be themselves”.

Gary said: “I am a lone Buddhist. For a while I have tried to follow a Buddhist path taking teachings that sit well with me from different traditions.

“I was surprised to learn that the majority of my Buddhist colleagues, unlike me, are wary of identifying themselves as Buddhist in the work place.

“Some colleagues have experienced the odd silly joke about being a Buddhist, which is likely the reason others don't want to be open. This is something I would like to overcome.

“However, it did take a station move and a period of time before I was willing to discuss my beliefs at work.”

After asking throughout Devon and Cornwall police, around 40 people got in touch with Gary to identify themselves as Buddhist and this inspired him to set up a support group similar to those available for officers who are black, homosexual, or Christian.

“The group members will provide support to each other; the group will provide links for officers to other Buddhists groups in the community and a link for Buddhist groups to the force.”

Non-violence is at the heart of Buddhist thinking and behaviour and the tradition of Buddhism is essentially a peaceful one.

This can create difficulties for a police officer following the religion, as Gary explains: “As you may be aware there are conflicts between law enforcement and Buddhist practice so that can often be a challenge.”

“The typical view in Buddhism is complete non-violence, but I look at it as non-aggression,” he said.

The BPSN is now looking to connect with other police staff across the UK and the wider world and Gary has already been in contact with officers from Australia, the USA and Holland, as well as a Buddhist police group in Cambridgeshire.

bambi

Re: Falmouth cop's Buddhist support group
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
Interesting! It is great to know that there are support groups for Buddhists especially those who are in the police force for a lot of them might need to do or encounter incidents that are contradicting what they believe. Although the police force have their own doctor but it would be good to talk to someone who understand your believes and what you do. What an initiative!

sonamdhargey

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
Interesting to know that there are such suport group within the police force where there are conflicts between the law enforcement and the Buddhist religion as stated in the article. With support group like this, it will bridge the gab and create more understanding and awareness about Buddhism and thus creating harmony in their workplace.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:36:12 AM »
“How can Buddhist police officers use force? The typical view in Buddhism is complete non-violence, but I look at it as non-aggression.
“I do not believe in killing, maiming, or hurting someone because of anger, retribution, or revenge, but if I needed to use force on someone in order to reduce someone else's suffering, to protect someone else or myself, I believe I can do it.”
He admitted it was a “contested issue in some Buddhist circles” but pointed out that many members of the group are backroom staff rather than frontline officers.

Mr Watts has been a practicing Buddhist for four years but felt “isolated” so posted a message on his forces’ internal website asking if there were any other fellow believers out there, and was inundated with responses.
He said he had not been discriminated against for his beliefs but thought that other Buddhists in policing felt “very much in the minority” and were reluctant to go public.

“I am aware that potential members have experienced some mocking in a playful way through a lack of understanding more than outright discrimination. I myself have had the odd comment but again not maliciously.”
Mr Watts believes the new group – which held its first Annual General Meeting in Plymouth last week – will help by providing support to members and sharing knowledge.

He went on: “In simple terms, if staff are able to be themselves in the workplace then their performance will increase. This group is a start.
“The force also has mechanisms in to canvas the opinions of minority groups when considering change. In the long term I would like to open up practices such as meditation classes to all officers and staff in the interest of health and well-being.”

There are already police associations for followers of other religions, such as Muslims, Christians and even Pagans - who came to notice when it emerged they were allowed time off for the summer solstice and Hallowe’en.
Mr Watts said his members did not follow one particular tradition of Buddhism and so would not all want to take the same festivals off work, however, nor were there any plans to create shrines or Buddha groves in police stations.
In total it is estimated that there are just 150,000 Buddhists – who believe in gaining spiritual knowledge about the true nature of life and do not worship gods – in Britain.

But as well as gaining popularity among police officers, Buddhism is also one of the fastest-growing religions in jails.
The number of Buddhists behind bars rose from 226 in 1997 to 1,737 a decade later, with experts believing that meditation can help prisoners cope with being locked up while spiritual development can stop them re-offending.

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
This is a beautiful story of prisoner on death row in San Quentin, receiving empowerment from Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche. This article mentioned that Buddhist ceremony is not recognized by Department of Corrections..i wonder if it is now though..
http://freejarvis.org/writer/writer_12.html

In the Uk, it's reported that "Buddhism is fastest-growing religion in English jails over past decade"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/5977093/Buddhism-is-fastest-growing-religion-in-English-jails-over-past-decade.html

An excerpt from this article...
"In 1997 there were only 226 Buddhists in prisons in England and Wales, but by the end of June 2008 that figure had risen by 669 per cent to reach 1,737 – 2 per cent of the 79,734 prison population."

kris

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
A lot of the Buddhism teachings are opposite of what our society is telling us. For example, our society view people with money as successful; people who beg is someone who is lower class; when we get wife and a good career, we will be happy, etc.

As such, it is not easy to practice if we are alone, especially we are new to Buddhism. As such, it is such a good "strategy" to stay together and practice. This will definitely give each other support, and to stop each other from breaking vows.

I have also heard that there are Buddhists who stay in close proximity or together to assist each other in practicing.