Author Topic: Kalon Tripa’s first year in office reviewed  (Read 5717 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Kalon Tripa’s first year in office reviewed
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
Here's a nice review of katri's performance for the past year, but what is missing is a list of the issues addressed by the katri since he took office. I dont know, but this article seems to be one that is brownnosing the katri as opposed to giving him a proper review of both the good and bad points.

Oh well. What's new.

Phayul[Friday, August 10, 2012 19:39]

Kalon Tripa Dr Lobsang Sangay addresses the gathering on August 8, commemorating his first year in office as the elected head of the Tibetan people. (Phayul file photo/Norbu Wangyal)
DHARAMSHALA, August 10: A public discussion on reviewing Kalon Tripa Dr Lobsang Sangay’s first year in office as the elected head of the Tibetan people was held yesterday in the Tibetan exile headquarters of Dharamshala.

The discussion was organised by the National Democratic Party of Tibet, which had campaigned and endorsed Dr Sangay’s candidature for the post during the last general elections.

Former speaker and member of parliament, Karma Chophel, vice-president of the Gu Chu Sum Former Political Prisoners Movement, Lukhar Jam and former president of NDPT, Chime Youngdung were the key speakers.

Speaking first on the 14th Kashag’s three guiding principles of unity, innovation and self-reliance, Lukhar Jam sounded a message of caution on the importance of upholding the principles of democracy over calls for unity.

Drawing from precedence set by other nations, Lukhar noted that democratically elected leaders, once in power, should refrain from relying on the need for unity while underscoring that ‘unity’ must not translate to a necessity for a unified ideology and political stance.

The former political prisoner asserted that the biggest service the present Kashag can accomplish is to support the wishes and aspirations of the Tibetan public. He also urged the 14th Kashag to preserve and enhance the Tibetan democratic system, which he said, is the best tool for the future generations to carry forward the Tibetan struggle.

Chime Youngdung echoed Dr Sangay’s earlier statement of “sense of stability” amongst the Tibetan public following the initial anxiety when the Dalai Lama devolved his entire political authority to the elected Tibetan leadership.

Youngdung also spoke about the Dr Sangay’s popularity and influence inside Tibet, citing instances where Tibetan singers have sung songs in praise of Kalon Tripa.

Karma Chophel, former speaker and a senior parliamentarian, noted that it was too early to either applaud or dismiss the present Kashag’s performance keeping in mind the challenges that Dr Sangay had to face in light of His Holiness’ devolution of power and the stalled dialogue process with China.

He said that the 14th Kashag’s engagement with Tibetans in various settlements and the Kalons’ international tours, especially to Japan and Taiwan, were positive and welcome developments.

A former teacher, Chophel remarked that the concrete steps taken by the Kashag for the transfer of Tibetan schools, currently managed by the Indian government, to the Tibetan Department of Education was one of Dr Sangay’s biggest achievements.

He also pointed out that the Kashag should be proactive about appointing Envoys of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, especially after making repeated statements that the Tibetan side is ready to engage in meaningful dialogue with China, anywhere anytime.

CTA ready to engage in dialogue with China? AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA that is funny. Is that a joke? How do you engage in dialogue with a country you hate so much to the point that being called a Chinese spy is an insult? Fix that before engaging in proper dialogue?

bambi

Re: Kalon Tripa’s first year in office reviewed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
LOL. Coincidentally I posted this not too long ago about the "dialogue". Many of us are just wondering how or if they would ever have the "dialogue". Hhmmm.. I wonder how they will start and WHERE to start. At the present moment, everything is just about politics. I wonder what Kalon Tripa really did in his one year in office?

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

"The US secretary of state Hillary Clinton has called on the Chinese government to hold a "serious dialogue" on the issue of Tibet during her meeting with Chinese foreign minister Yang Jiechi at the ASEAN Summit in Cambodia," said the CTA.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:52:17 AM »
LOL. Coincidentally I posted this not too long ago about the "dialogue". Many of us are just wondering how or if they would ever have the "dialogue". Hhmmm.. I wonder how they will start and WHERE to start. At the present moment, everything is just about politics. I wonder what Kalon Tripa really did in his one year in office?

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

"The US secretary of state Hillary Clinton has called on the Chinese government to hold a "serious dialogue" on the issue of Tibet during her meeting with Chinese foreign minister Yang Jiechi at the ASEAN Summit in Cambodia," said the CTA.

He also pointed out that the Kashag should be proactive about appointing Envoys of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, especially after making repeated statements that the Tibetan side is ready to engage in meaningful dialogue with China, anywhere anytime.

repeated statements? ummm do you mean statements like

BEIJING –  China accused the Dalai Lama of being deceitful Monday after he reportedly alleged that Chinese agents trained Tibetan women to assassinate him by planting poison in their hair for him to touch during blessings.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry said the Tibetan spiritual leader's allegations, reported in the London-based Sunday Telegraph newspaper, were not worth refuting, but added that he generally spreads false information.
"The Dalai always wears religious clothes while carrying out anti-China separatist activities in the global community, spreading false information and deceiving the public," spokesman Hong Lei said at a routine daily news briefing.
The nationalistic tabloid the Global Times further scorned the allegations in a commentary, saying that if China had wanted to kill the Dalai Lama it could have done so any time without waiting until he was 76 years old.
The Tibetan Buddhist leader told the Telegraph he had been warned that the Chinese government was training female Tibetan agents to put poison in their hair or scarves and to seek his blessings or touch his hand.
Hundreds of thousands of people take pilgrimages each year to northern Indian town of Dharmsala, where the Dalai Lama lives under tight security. Huge crowds also surround him during his travels abroad. The Tibetan leader usually places his hand over the heads of devotees seeking his blessing.
He told the newspaper he may ending up being the last Dalai Lama because of Chinese interference in finding his reincarnation after his death.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/14/dalai-lama-alleges-poison-plot-china-cries-foul/#ixzz23JP1C3d7

Dear China, we heard you tried to poison the Dalai Lama with poisoned khatas and women. Can you give us Tibet back now? Sincerely, CTA.

Even if it was true, how is it a good idea to release a statement on that? Anyone can see and tell that it can undo whatever progress that has been made in the talks with China.

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »
Phayul[Friday, August 10, 2012 19:39]

Former speaker and member of parliament, Karma Chophel, vice-president of the Gu Chu Sum Former Political Prisoners Movement, Lukhar Jam and former president of NDPT, Chime Youngdung were the key speakers.

Speaking first on the 14th Kashag’s three guiding principles of unity, innovation and self-reliance, Lukhar Jam sounded a message of caution on the importance of upholding the principles of democracy over calls for unity.

Drawing from precedence set by other nations, Lukhar noted that democratically elected leaders, once in power, should refrain from relying on the need for unity while underscoring that ‘unity’ must not translate to a necessity for a unified ideology and political stance.

The former political prisoner asserted that the biggest service the present Kashag can accomplish is to support the wishes and aspirations of the Tibetan public. He also urged the 14th Kashag to preserve and enhance the Tibetan democratic system, which he said, is the best tool for the future generations to carry forward the Tibetan struggle.

I wonder very Kalon Tripa will take Lukhar Jam advice seriously and do something about it. Yes, any head of a country will support the wishes and aspirations of the their public. Currently, with the Shugden issues which CTA DOES NOT support, they do not realised that they are ignoring or cutting a huge part of what could have move forward for their people.

If only CTA could reunite everyone, they could be stronger instead of now. Imagine, reuniting Geshe Kelsang Gyatso group or even Trijang Rinpoche and LIFTING the ban on Shugden. Finally, CTA makes a differences if they do that.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:39 PM »
To me, its very simple to assess the Kalon Tripa's performance. Let's just look at three key issues that face Tibet:

(i) what has he done which is fresh and effective to re-engage the Chinese Government in serious dialogue. What has be done in fact?

(ii) what has he done in leadership to improve the welfare of ALL Tibetans and to raise the education and living standards of Tibetans in exile. As much as he and the CTA condemns the Chinese Government, the fact is China has done much to improve the economic and social standards of Tibetans. What has the CTA done for Tibetans in exile?

(ii) with full knowledge that the ban on Dorje Shugden was unlawful and unconstitutional (Dr Lobsang Sangay is supposed to be an expert in Law and Human Rights) and given that the ban on the practice has caused such great damage to Tibetan society, what has he done to initiate steps to remove the ban and to repair the damage done to his own people who are affected by the ban? The CTA talks about "unity"... so isn't removing a ban that divides the people the logical first step towards securing unity?

Lobsang Sangay is admittedly young and new to politics but he must still make good of his campaign promises. During the campaign he leveraged heavily on his credentials in Law and Human Rights and it is on this point that I was personally hopeful that he might do something to re-establish the rights of Dorje Shugden practitioners. He has not.

As for having better negotiations with China, it may help if Lobsang Sangay starts studying the Chinese language. I understand that he doesn't speak a word of the Chinese language still.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:31:44 PM by vajratruth »

Manjushri

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »
Where is the religious freedom that should be priority in tasks after taking over as Kalon Tripa? As a Havard? Or Oxford (oh whatever) law graduate, aren't the welfare and rights of the people, your people, of more importance? I do not see any huge and drastic results created by Lobsang Sangye that addresses this issue. Many are still self immolating to fight for Tibet's freedom... But what use is there to fight for Tibet's freedom when its people do not even have freedom in their religious practise and with each other. There is still war and conflict amongst Tibetan Shugden practitioners and non-Shugden practitioners, so how can an unstable population fight to stabilize and win back their nation's independance? The war within will create war on the outside too. There is no harmony within and is also one of the very reasons why Tibet cannot gain back its independence. Imagine a unharmonized population trying to harmonize the country. Ha. Sounds like a joke. ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM ALREADY, CTA & LOBSANG SANGYE!

Here's an article by Lobsang Sangye released on 8th August addressing his first anniversary in administration:

First anniversary of Sikyong Lobsang Sangay’s administration

By Lobsang Sangay | Tibet Net
[Lobsang Sangay is the Sikyong or the Prime Minister of the Central Tibetan Administration.]
MCLEOD GANJ, India, 8 August 2012

Dear Friends,

Today, on this auspicious Wednesday, the 14th Kashag observes the one-year completion of its Administration. I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on and highlight a few accomplishments and developments, and share with you some thoughts as we move forward.

The Kalon Tripa was entrusted with the monumental responsibility of ensuring a smooth transition in the wake of His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s historic decision to devolve political power to an elected leadership in March 2011. This is a responsibility that we have handled reasonably well so far, thanks to the unity, solidarity and support from Tibetans in and outside Tibet, and our friends.

The leadership transition coincided with a tumultuous period marked by an unprecedented wave of Tibetans self-immolating — the paramount form of protests against China’s occupation of Tibet. A total of 46 known incidents of self-immolations have occurred in Tibet with all but one occurring since March 2011. While we urge Tibetans to refrain from such drastic form of protest, we hold the repressive policies of the Chinese government solely responsible for this tragic turn of events.

On a more positive note, I am pleased to let you know that the past year was productive as we made some progress on a few fronts.

Keeping the spotlight on Tibet: The 14th Kashag’s efforts to sustain attention on Tibet and enhance the profile of the Tibetan political leadership attained some levels of momentum fueled by an energetic outreach effort. My colleagues in the Kashag have been travelling to various countries and my travels have taken me to seventeen different cities on four continents. I have met with senior government officials, prominent lawmakers, including the Speaker of the US Congress, well-known media organizations, and other notable world citizens like Nobel Peace Laureates with whom I have highlighted the dire situation in Tibet and sought their support. Important resolutions supporting Tibet and Tibetans were passed in the US Senate and the European Parliament and around 100 Japanese parliamentarians issued a public appeal supporting Tibet. International media appear to be giving more attention to the Tibetan situation. Many new friends and important contacts were made.

New Initiatives: Several initiatives were launched in the areas of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) staff reform, strengthening policy research, development capacity, mobilising human resources, and health. The five that I would like to highlight are: CTA Recruitment Training Programme, Tibet Policy Institute, Tibet Corps, launching of the Tibetan Medicare System and establishment of a process to award Geshema degree for nuns. The underlying principles guiding these initiatives were unity, innovation and self-reliance.

Transforming CTA: In order to make the CTA and its thousand plus civil servants a professional organisation and workforce, we took steps to integrate the use of technology, streamline staff transfer policies, and identify ways to better match staff ability with positions. In the area of technology, the CTA website was completely redesigned (www.tibet.net) and internet bandwidth was quadrupled. About one-third of computers in the CTA have been replaced with new ones. Email and online communication and collaboration were moved to a newer and more secure platform (Google Apps). With regards to staff transfer, a new unit was created and tasked with managing the placement and transfer process. A well-established system is in place to ensure the smooth functioning of the Kashag even while the Kalon Tripa travels outside Dharamshala.

Deepening Community Connection: The 14th Kashag’s foreign travels were complemented by a robust domestic travel schedule to hear first-hand the issues and concerns of the people. Towards this end, my colleagues in the Kashag and I visited most of the Tibetan settlements in India, including Jangthang area in Ladakh.

Education: One of the priority areas of the current Administration is education. Some progress in the first year include:
 - Exclusive meetings that brought together Tibetan school principals and administrators where discussion topics included strengthening administration, bringing innovation and improving academic standards;
 - taking significant steps to realise the previous administration’s plan to launch a four-year integrated teachers’ training institute in Buntar, Himachal Pradesh;
 - securing a US$2 million education grant from the US Government;
 - forwarding a detailed proposal to the Indian authority to transfer the management of Central Schools for Tibetans (CST).

Relief for Tibetans: The Indian authorities kindly agreed to extend the validity of the Registration Certificate (RC) for Tibetans born in India as well as those who have held RC for twenty years or more. Tibetans may now renew their RC once every five years as opposed to the current requirement of every six months to a year.

The resettlement project of Tibetan from Arunachal Pradesh to Canada has been launched and the concerned authorities are taking steps in this project.

For the new arrivals from Tibet, during their stay in India, considerations are made with the initiatives to provide vocational skills, further education and other opportunities.

Dialogue with China: We are committed to the Middle-Way Approach and the dialogue process to resolve the Tibet issue on the basis of mutual benefit. The Tibetan Task Force on Negotiations has met twice in the last eight months and will meet again in December to continue the dialogue process with the new Chinese leadership. Prominent leaders, including the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, called on the Chinese government to continue a serious dialogue on the issue of Tibet.

Looking ahead, the Kashag and the Tibetan Parliament will be convening the 2nd Special General Meeting of Tibetans in Dharamshala from September 25-28, 2012. The primary agenda will be to discuss ways and means to deal with the urgent and critical situation in Tibet. Another important upcoming gathering is the Special International Tibet Support Groups Meeting.

In addition to strengthening some of the initiatives and areas already outlined, the current administration plans to further upgrade the CTA’s capacity on some fronts, including internet security, TibetOnline.tv, entrepreneurship, and revitalization of the Tibetan settlements.

Lastly, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to the governments and people across the world, particularly our kind host, India, for their support. I pray for the long life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. We are profoundly grateful for his continued presence and guidance. Finally, to my fellow Tibetans in and outside Tibet, I want to reiterate the current Kashag’s commitment to fulfill our cherished goal of freedom for the Tibetan people, and return of His Holiness the Dalai Lama to Tibet.

Tashi Delek!
http://beta.tibetsun.com/opinions/2012/08/08/first-anniversary-of-sikyong-lobsang-sangays-administration

YES, boy does the CTA need reformation/transformation/shuffling within and without!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:00:22 AM »
To me, its very simple to assess the Kalon Tripa's performance. Let's just look at three key issues that face Tibet:

(i) what has he done which is fresh and effective to re-engage the Chinese Government in serious dialogue. What has be done in fact?
Accuse the Chinese of trying to poison the Dalai Lama. Yup, that is a very effective way of getting the China to listen to you. Even if it was true, why would would this be published if CTA is serious about engaging in talks with the Chinese?

(ii) what has he done in leadership to improve the welfare of ALL Tibetans and to raise the education and living standards of Tibetans in exile. As much as he and the CTA condemns the Chinese Government, the fact is China has done much to improve the economic and social standards of Tibetans. What has the CTA done for Tibetans in exile?
(if the report is correct, making visits, but surprisingly such visits are not exactly mentioned in phayul. Or is it that the Dalai Lama himself is making more visits than LS? Then what is he doing?) CTA has done ZERO improvements for Dharamsala. they have not fixed the sewerage system, nor have they implemented any infrastructures that will improve. All they have is just talk and nice words on paper.

(ii) with full knowledge that the ban on Dorje Shugden was unlawful and unconstitutional (Dr Lobsang Sangay is supposed to be an expert in Law and Human Rights) and given that the ban on the practice has caused such great damage to Tibetan society, what has he done to initiate steps to remove the ban and to repair the damage done to his own people who are affected by the ban? The CTA talks about "unity"... so isn't removing a ban that divides the people the logical first step towards securing unity?
Has the hunting of Dorje Shugden practitioners and the whole hitlist of lamas who practice Dorje Shugden been stopped, and people caught doing that arrested? If not, what human rights? Its fine to isolate that issue as a religious one but to get laypeople involved, that is akin to the taliban.

Lobsang Sangay is admittedly young and new to politics but he must still make good of his campaign promises. During the campaign he leveraged heavily on his credentials in Law and Human Rights and it is on this point that I was personally hopeful that he might do something to re-establish the rights of Dorje Shugden practitioners. He has not.
As a Harvard graduate, he has no excuse. He should have more exposure to politics around the world and should be an expert in the history of Tibet to know what works and what does not for the Tibetans. If he keeps parroting the Dalai Lama, he should just step down and apologize to the Tibetans.

As for having better negotiations with China, it may help if Lobsang Sangay starts studying the Chinese language. I understand that he doesn't speak a word of the Chinese language still.
Everything he has done so far shows that he is not sincere and he is merely saying that to gain sympathy from the US. He has YET to apologize for the accusations he made against China and the Chinese, on behalf of the Tibetan people.

I like your points that you have pointed out here because it shows that CTA has been lying and has been two faced about their policy. They talk about human rights and freedom, but they clamp down and ostracize those who practice Dorje Shugden. They claim to want to negotiate with China, but degrade the Chinese in their own community and did not apologize. With such lies, tibetan independence is but a dream, unless the law of karma is wrong and you can get good results from doing bad things.