Author Topic: Living Buddhas in Tibet/China  (Read 11977 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Living Buddhas in Tibet/China
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:07 AM »
This Tibetan Buddhism Institute which controls the development of the Living Buddhas identified and approved by the Chinese authorities look like the reincarnations of great masters is tightly controlled. 60% of their time is spent on religious studies while the remainder is on secular and cultural studies.

It really looks like these identified Lamas are being carefully programmed to play an important future role in Buddhism in China.  I am sure many people will be skeptical about these Lamas because of how they were identified and how they are being trained via this institute. 

However, like the Panchen Lama, perhaps these highly attained beings have allowed themselves to be in this system so that they can benefit many in China. I wonder if they practice Dorje Shugden in this institute. After all, this is a practice the Chinese have been encouraging in Tibetan monasteries.

Time will tell.

Top theological institutes prepare Living Buddhas

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-08/14/content_15672847.htm

Updated: 2012-08-14 08:09
By Li Yao (China Daily)

A new generation of Living Buddhas who are studying Tibetan Lamaism at top theological institutes are expected to become the eminent religious leaders of the future.

Twenty-two young Living Buddhas, including the 6th Dezhub Jamyang Sherab Palden, 7, and the 7th Reting Rinpoche, 15, are studying at the Tibet Buddhism University, Tibet's only regional-level Buddhist theological academy.

"The young Living Buddhas enjoy each other's company and they play and study together," said Dulkar Tsering, vice-president of the university.

The university opened in October 2011 and has 150 students. Its programs include Esoteric Buddhism, Exoteric Buddhism and Sanskrit for monks from all schools of Tibetan Lamaism.

"The students may have different backgrounds. They are of varying ages, come from different regions, and have different religious influences and economic status. But at school, they are equal as fellow students," Dulkar Tsering said.

Educating young Living Buddhas to become revered religious leaders was the next task facing China after the selection and recognition process of reincarnated Living Buddhas was standardized in 2007 by a regulation issued by the State Administration for Religious Affairs.

Some young Living Buddhas are tutored in their own monasteries, which may undermine their religious training because of inadequate resources, said Dulkar Tsering.

Now with all of Tibet's influential Living Buddhas under its roof, the Tibet Buddhism University tries to retain the model of traditional tutoring in monasteries, with 60 percent of the course devoted to religious training, and the rest to language, cultural and secular studies, he said.

It is important for Living Buddhas to communicate in local dialects and connect with believers from different areas in the Tibet autonomous region. It is also important they have the skills to engage in global dialogues during public appearances, Dulkar Tsering said.

Five monks from the university attended the 5th Beijing International Seminar on Tibetan Studies, which was held from Aug 2 to 4, attracting 267 scholars from China and abroad. The monks' participation was aimed at promoting Buddhist studies and gaining experience in front of an international audience.

The school tries to combine the advantages of traditional tutoring with modern skills. Located in Quxu county in Lhasa, it has advanced facilities, thanks to massive government investment.

"It is a matter of time until Living Buddhas from China will be proficient in multiple languages and knowledgeable in religious doctrines, Tibetan medicine and pharmacology," Dulkar Tsering said.
The reincarnation of the 5th Dezhub Rinpoche was the first major Living Buddha selected and enthroned after the 2007 decree came into effect.

Losang Dorje, born in 2005 in Lhoka prefecture of the Tibet autonomous region, was selected in July 2010 by drawing lots from a golden urn at the Jokhang Monastery in Lhasa, according to the rituals of Tibetan Buddhism and historical convention. He was enthroned as the 6th Dezhub Jamyang Sherab Palden after being approved by the central government and authorities in Tibet.

The young Living Buddha is studious, healthy and enjoys staying at the Tibet Buddhism University, said Dawa Tsering, director of the Buddhist Association in Lhoka prefecture. After the 5th Dezhub Rinpoche passed away in March 2000, Dawa Tsering led a search team and looked for a successor in more than 700 villages.

"I was personally involved in the process. I received great support from the central government and authorities in the Tibet autonomous region. Many well-respected monks helped me in the search and ensured religious rituals and historical conventions were adhered to," said Dawa Tsering in a speech during the three-day seminar on Tibetan studies in Beijing.

In China, about 1,000 Living Buddhas follow a reincarnation system. The reincarnation of a Living Buddha who has great influence, such as the Panchen Lama, needs to be confirmed and approved by the central government. For the reincarnation of Living Buddhas who have less influence, the State Administration for Religious Affairs will be consulted. And reincarnation of those with minor influence should be reported to provincial-level authorities, said Dulkar Tsering from Tibet Buddhism University.

Since the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) the reincarnation of the 150 most important Living Buddhas has required approval from the central government.

Today, the number of highly influential Living Buddhas is still about 150 in China and the process of reporting to the central government is the same as it was in the Qing Dysnasty, said Li Decheng, director of the religious studies institute at the China Tibetology Research Center.

The lot-drawing ceremony from a golden urn has governed the selection of most influential Living Buddhas, such as the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama. The measure was first introduced during the Qing Dynasty to prevent Living Buddhas from appointing their own relatives or people close to them as successors, Li said.
By continuing historical customs, both the authority of the central government and the traditions of Buddhists in Tibet are respected, Li said.

Da Qiong in Lhasa contributed to this story.
[email protected]

photo caption: Dezhub Jamyang Sherab Palden (right) reads sutras at the Tibet Museum in Lhasa, capital of the Tibet autonomous region, on April 17, 2011. Jogo / Xinhua
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Living Buddhas in Tibet/China
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:35:14 AM »
This is very interesting. China is recognizing their own tulkus and training their own tulkus! And they have been investing in this just so that the quality of the tulkus will be better. It is kind of incredible because China has always been a communist country and they do not trust religion but it seems that they are turning back to religion, more specifically, to Buddhism to help tame the people in China and in Tibet. Other than China, Lama Gangchen has also recognized another Tulku independent of CTA/Dalai Lama, so it means that CTA/Dalai Lama arent the only ones with authority to recognize tulkus.

Midakpa

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
I find the information in this article very positive on the whole. China has always practised the policy of providing assistance to minority communities. This policy, although political in nature, has resulted in the preservation of the culture, customs and belief systems of the ethnic groups. Since the 1980s, China has started to renovate and repair damaged Tibetan monasteries. Even though the purpose could be partially for economic reasons, the Tibetan community has benefited from this action.  Although it may appear that the Chinese Government is interfering in the selection of tulkus, there are many advantages to be gained from this system. The "living Buddhas" get modern education and traditional training in the local Tibetan dialects as well as religious training for their role as future spiritual leaders. I believe that these tulkus will not only benefit their own Tibetan communities but also the Chinese people as well.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:53:58 AM »
I find the information in this article very positive on the whole. China has always practised the policy of providing assistance to minority communities. This policy, although political in nature, has resulted in the preservation of the culture, customs and belief systems of the ethnic groups. Since the 1980s, China has started to renovate and repair damaged Tibetan monasteries. Even though the purpose could be partially for economic reasons, the Tibetan community has benefited from this action.  Although it may appear that the Chinese Government is interfering in the selection of tulkus, there are many advantages to be gained from this system. The "living Buddhas" get modern education and traditional training in the local Tibetan dialects as well as religious training for their role as future spiritual leaders. I believe that these tulkus will not only benefit their own Tibetan communities but also the Chinese people as well.

And these tulkus can benefit so many more people! China has the worlds' largest concentration of people and imagine what a Lama can do if he can teach the masses! Also most people in China now are financially well to do so they would want something more in their lives to fill up the emptiness in their hearts due to lack of a spiritual direction, and Buddhism would be the answer. Buddhism is flourishing today in China and it can only get better from there. In China, Dorje Shugden is not banned and everyone can practice him without worrying about being on CTA's hitlist or problems like that.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »
China's initiative on building up Buddhism again in their country definitely commendable. This may be due to the fact that they recognise the importance of religion and also a culture in their country that has been practices for many centuries. From rebuilding temples/monasteries to now having this Institute to educate Lamas and reincarnate Tulkus. They really put in effort in all aspects to ensure that the lineage continues on. Like what Wisdom Being posted, China has set up a process of identifying Tulkus which must be approved by the administration and people may think that the process is politically motivated. However, we could also argue that the Tulkus could reincarnate into the system itself and be recognised. They are after all Buddhas and clairvoyant. Furthermore, this system was set up during the Qing Dynasty.

With China's recognition, we could be sure that the spread of Buddhism will not be hindered.

dondrup

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:57:46 AM »
The intervention by the Chinese government into the established system of recognising the reincarnation of great masters or tulkus will destroy the authenticity and tradition as passed down in the respective lineages of Tibetan Buddhism.

How can a religious practice like the system of recognising the tulkus, tainted with political intervention be well received by the practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism?  The Chinese government surely is making a mockery of the religious practice. 

We can only hope these living Buddhas training in this Tibetan Buddhism Institute will eventually become true Buddhist Leaders spreading the pure teachings of Lord Buddha and not become the “puppets” of the Chinese government.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »
The intervention by the Chinese government into the established system of recognising the reincarnation of great masters or tulkus will destroy the authenticity and tradition as passed down in the respective lineages of Tibetan Buddhism.

How can a religious practice like the system of recognising the tulkus, tainted with political intervention be well received by the practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism?  The Chinese government surely is making a mockery of the religious practice. 

We can only hope these living Buddhas training in this Tibetan Buddhism Institute will eventually become true Buddhist Leaders spreading the pure teachings of Lord Buddha and not become the “puppets” of the Chinese government.

I dont really think that it would destroy the authenticity because it seems that the Panchen Lama which was chosen by the Chinese is being endorsed  by the 102th Ganden Tripa as well as Gangchen Rinpoche who has been seen to be photographed with the Chinese Panchen Lama together. So it could mean that the Chinese Panchen Lama could be the real incarnation and the one that the Dalai Lama has endorsed could have been a diversion of sorts because it cannot be that the Dalai Lama does not know that if he officially endorses a Panchen Lama China will somehow not recognize him. In the case of the Karmapa, the Dalai Lama recognized him only after China has done so, so China could not take back their words, or else they would look stupid, so I'd say that China's methods of finding tulkus might just be working.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »
Wow! China has recognized over 1000 tulkus in China. This is an impressive figure and I guess that's a very good sign for China's future development of Buddhism. Well, even if they interfere, I am sure they are not really trying to ensure the wrong tulku is found, I am sure, they are looking for these tulkus as a means to control the Tibetan population by influencing the tulkus' development. I think it is fine as long as they allow the tulkus to undergo their traditional monastic education. Therefore, it is no wonder that these tulkus have decided to reincarnate back in China. It almost almost seemed to be like an army of spiritual guides ready to spread the Buddhadharma all over China and the world.

whitelion

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »
Personally I think it's a very good idea that China government opened this proper Buddhist institute for reincarnated lama/Tulku to continue the study, as long as the teachers are following the authentic monastic system.

It's very good to see China government have been so supportive on the growth on Tibetan Buddhism, they not only provided Dharma teaching but also daily need to the members. From picture below, we know the members/students from this institute are provided with very good environment to study and live, the members also have a chance to learn new technology such as computer skill, which much needed nowadays.

Thanks China again for to provide this institute to the minority (Tibetan), which keep the culture and knowledge from ancient but also not left behind with new era. It's quite ridiculous that CTA always claims that they care about Tibetan's welfare but they never do anything and contribute to the people inside/ in exile of Tibet but yet they encourage the disharmony in between Dorje Shugden practitioners and non-practitioners. CTA have caused many cases of self-immolation or fighting between the Tibetan communities directly or indirectly. It's something we should really think about, is CTA bringing more benefit or more harm to Tibetan.

Very exciting to see HH The Panchen Lama to officiated the opening of this "Tibetan Buddhism Institute", may the Dharma grow even further in very short time :)

** According to the China press currently they are 150 students in this institute, 22 of them are high reincarnated lamas, they are all under the guidance of 16 senior Tibetan Buddhism scholars.

Video of Panchen Lama visiting The Tibetan Buddhist Institute.

http://www.chinanews.com/player/shipin/video2012.swf?vInfo=http://video.chinanews.com/flv/2012/0727cxl024.mp4&vsimg=http://www.chinanews.com/shipin/cnstv/2012/07-27/U405P883T4D80522F158DT20120727164510.jpg

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:14:09 AM »
Wow! China has recognized over 1000 tulkus in China. This is an impressive figure and I guess that's a very good sign for China's future development of Buddhism. Well, even if they interfere, I am sure they are not really trying to ensure the wrong tulku is found, I am sure, they are looking for these tulkus as a means to control the Tibetan population by influencing the tulkus' development. I think it is fine as long as they allow the tulkus to undergo their traditional monastic education. Therefore, it is no wonder that these tulkus have decided to reincarnate back in China. It almost almost seemed to be like an army of spiritual guides ready to spread the Buddhadharma all over China and the world.

That is an impressive number of tulkus recognized by China's golden urn system. If the tulkus do Dharma work in Tibet then they are real tulkus. Personally, I dont think that an ordinary child would like to be thrust in the middle of the monastery and having rules imposed on them or that they are forced to learn the Dharma, only a tulku would be naturally inclined to do that. China has been treating the Tibetans quite well and even helping to identify the tulkus and this is very encouraging. When the tulkus grow up they will be able to benefit many more people.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »
I find this very intriguing. Tulkus are incarnated lamas, highly attained beings, one who can control their rebirth to benefit many. The angle that articles about Tulkus usually involves some authorities "appointing" tulkus. It seems that these authorities, be it, the CTA, the Chinese government or the Indian government controls the rebirths of these tulkus.
In reality, I think that these tulkus control their own rebirths and of course the authorities of those countries or administrations that the tulkus chose to take rebirth in will say they chose the tulkus. Or perhaps some of these tulkus are not real tulkus?
Anyhow, I believe ultimately, in this degenerate age the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas have to "conspire" to act out a great drama to tame the collective karma of beings and benefit us all. But it seems rather worldly on the outside. Sigh!

dsiluvu

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
It really looks like these identified Lamas are being carefully programmed to play an important future role in Buddhism in China.  I am sure many people will be skeptical about these Lamas because of how they were identified and how they are being trained via this institute. 

However, like the Panchen Lama, perhaps these highly attained beings have allowed themselves to be in this system so that they can benefit many in China. I wonder if they practice Dorje Shugden in this institute. After all, this is a practice the Chinese have been encouraging in Tibetan monasteries.

Time will tell.

Indeed this an interesting news but probably not surprising. But what I found interesting is your comment on the fact that more and more highly attained Lamas are making their ways in to the China and in to their system. And if we follow the Dharma, it is probably something we should rejoice in? I mean the Chinese also need Dharma, no... and being the biggest superpower nation at the moment... with so much growth and materialism... I am sure when the Boddhisattvas took the vows of benefiting all sentient beings... I don't think it says "except" the Chinese in China lol.

So I am quite happy with this notion and honestly we do not really know what "enlightened" beings have in mind and what has been probably "premeditated"... I am sure if the motivation is right which is to spread he Dharma in all 10 directions... it is super aweeesome and I really cannot wait for the time when a whole big stadium in China gets filled with hundreds of thousands of people receiving initiation of Dorje Shugden by His Holiness Pabongkha Rinpoche or Trijang Rinpoche!!! Oh wow imagine that happening?! That will be the day which I hope I have the merits to be alive to witness  ;)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 04:37:09 AM »
I find this very intriguing. Tulkus are incarnated lamas, highly attained beings, one who can control their rebirth to benefit many. The angle that articles about Tulkus usually involves some authorities "appointing" tulkus. It seems that these authorities, be it, the CTA, the Chinese government or the Indian government controls the rebirths of these tulkus.
In reality, I think that these tulkus control their own rebirths and of course the authorities of those countries or administrations that the tulkus chose to take rebirth in will say they chose the tulkus. Or perhaps some of these tulkus are not real tulkus?
Anyhow, I believe ultimately, in this degenerate age the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas have to "conspire" to act out a great drama to tame the collective karma of beings and benefit us all. But it seems rather worldly on the outside. Sigh!

The CTA has been the approving or rejecting tulkus from the very start ever since they took over secular control of Tibet, and immediately banned the Sharmapa and Taranatha from reincarnating in Tibet. More like, they banned the recognition of the incarnations in Tibet rather than them from being reincarnating. With that, CTA or known by  their older name as Ganden Phodrang could take over the wealth and property. In China's case, China already has so much wealth so why would they want to recognize the Tulkus? They are probably doing so to try and control the people through the tulkus, but it is in reality the other way round.

Positive Change

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »

Time will tell.

Indeed this an interesting news but probably not surprising. But what I found interesting is your comment on the fact that more and more highly attained Lamas are making their ways in to the China and in to their system. And if we follow the Dharma, it is probably something we should rejoice in? I mean the Chinese also need Dharma, no... and being the biggest superpower nation at the moment... with so much growth and materialism... I am sure when the Boddhisattvas took the vows of benefiting all sentient beings... I don't think it says "except" the Chinese in China lol.

So I am quite happy with this notion and honestly we do not really know what "enlightened" beings have in mind and what has been probably "premeditated"... I am sure if the motivation is right which is to spread he Dharma in all 10 directions... it is super aweeesome and I really cannot wait for the time when a whole big stadium in China gets filled with hundreds of thousands of people receiving initiation of Dorje Shugden by His Holiness Pabongkha Rinpoche or Trijang Rinpoche!!! Oh wow imagine that happening?! That will be the day which I hope I have the merits to be alive to witness  ;)

I love what you wrote here dsiluvu! Its funny how you said Boddhisattvas took vows of benefitting ALL sentient beings and it certainly did not say EXCEPT Chinese in China... hehehe.

I guess in our limited understanding we tend to be blinkered into thinking in a narrow manner. It certainly seems plausible and highly likely China will be the generator that fuels the Buddhist Renaissance in the world... hence the divine "chess pieces" are all coming into play...

We are truly blessed to be able to witness such a diverse change and rise in Buddhism in these degenerate times... May we all accumulate much merits till the time of Maitreya!

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »
thinking about things in a bigger and broader spectrum, China knows that with time, as technology becomes a bulldozing factor for the nation to grow both economically and materialistically. The hearts and minds of people will experience a sense of loss and emptiness over time.

By putting their resources for the next generation of living Buddhas, they are actually doing their nation a necessary deed. These spiritual leaders will be the ones to help alleviate the negative emotions the people have from the side effects of the country's expansion.

it does make sense though that the Land of the Dragon will be the next Buddhist power house for it to grow in leaps and bounds for what it needs to cater for now and in the future.
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!