Author Topic: very nice applique tangkha on a website  (Read 12909 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
very nice applique tangkha on a website
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:30:35 AM »
"life is a box of chocolates" - Forest Gump

U never know what u can get from the internet sometimes when u just do a wild search. I was searching for a horse tangkha on google and look what me found!

a beautiful applique tangkha of our lord protector Dorje Shugden!

The article has no mention of Dorje Shugden but only mentions that this form of art is widely practiced in Western China.

Here's the link and article:

http://en.showchina.org/02/04/3/200907/t369101.htm

Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Tenzin Gyatso

Re: very nice applique tangkha on a website
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »
I guess these monks have not heard the advice of His Holiness the Dalai Lama yet. For if they did, they would of happily abandoned the practice of this Dhogyal ghost.

But eventually this practice will die off. It has lessened tremendously due to the courageous efforts of HHDL. May true Dharma protectors prevail.  ;)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
I guess these monks have not heard the advice of His Holiness the Dalai Lama yet. For if they did, they would of happily abandoned the practice of this Dhogyal ghost.

But eventually this practice will die off. It has lessened tremendously due to the courageous efforts of HHDL. May true Dharma protectors prevail.  ;)

Guess vs facts. The truth is both the monastics and media is very much aware of this transcendent deity, practice and now propagate in the media. I guess the CTA's cry for abandonment of Dorje Shugden doesn't stand much in competition with their faith in DS and the faith of many more thriving and GROWING Dorje Shugden monasteries, Dharma Centres, chapels, temples etc around the WORLD.

Contrary to what has been mentioned in the above quote, I believe 100% in HH Trijang Dorje Chang's words, Dorje Shugden's practice will prevail and PERVADE THE ENTIRE EARTH! :)
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Tenzin Gyatso - lessened? Die off? Au contraire. Didnt read the news report? Says that the practice is strong in Western China. Kindda matches what people always say about Dorje Shugden being a widespread, mainstream Gelugpa practice.

If it werent mainstream and widespread, why bother with spending so much time and effort suppressing a minority practice? If its a minority practice, leave the minority be. I dont see the CTA spending this much time and money suppressing Tibetan Muslims...and their a whole other religion! So maybe it means Dorje Shugdens something special for the CTA to pump in so much of their FOREIGN AID into suppressing him? What a horrible way, btw, to use foreign donations, to perpetuate human rights abuses.

Irony also about the practice dying off. Because I certainly wouldnt have heard about Dorje Shugden had the monks not been protesting outside the Dalai Lamas talks. From what I can tell, the practice has only gone around the world since the ban...kind of like how Buddhism went around the world when the Tibetans fled Tibet.

icy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:40:33 AM »
In fact I would like to thank the Dalai Lama for skillfully promoting Dorje Shugden to the wide wide world by banning it.   As a result Dorje Shugden is the talk of the world any Buddhist Deity has ever enjoyed in the religious sphere since history.   By banning and creating such a controversial hype it has become a well known issue among Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike.  Can you name one Buddhist Deity that is globally as renowned as DS, having the same publicity while increasing and gathering more devotees and practioners into its lineage every minute?   Dorje Shugden has certainly gone viral.

The Dalai Lama who is Chenrezig is also Vajrapani orchestrating the Shugden episode to ensure Dorje Shugden will not fade out but flourish ever more. 

thor

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
This is the first time I have seen such a large thangka with dorje shugden's image in it. Does anyone know where this was taken, or what the full thangka looks like? I am impressed.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
I guess these monks have heard and are heeding the advice of great past masters. They are fortunate, at this time and age, to live in this part of China where there is no persecution of Dorje Shugden practitioners unlike their other countrymen who are treated as outcasts in India, Nepal and other countries. From the size of this thangka Dorje Shugden's teaching and practice is flourishing!

Fabulous thangka!

diablo1974

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »
They must have heard of the ban, i guess. China is large and highly populated in some cities. From this applique thangka, it shows the effort of the artist put into and the will to propitiates DS on their motherland. Way to go.

kris

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
Many are suffering because of the ban. How can they now know about the ban? I don't believe they don't know.

It is the practice of Guru devotion, where they received this practice from their Guru, and they choose to continue with the practice despite the hardship. To me, that is very admirable.

I must say the thangka is really HUGE!! Does anyone know where is this thangka now? Which monastery is it in right now?

Barzin

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »
I find it is quite amusing when one side of the world is debating that the practice is evil and will die off eventually and the other side saying that it's going strong in parts of the world.  Yet, they are still people don't know about the ban.  Whether they know or not, they have come across this protector, it is a sign of growth.  If not we won't be lucky enough to have this image available on line.  If the practice is dying or lessened, information will get lost and first thing this forum will die off slowly but this seems to not be the case.

diablo1974

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
A very huge and incredible applique thangka depicting the king of protectors Dorje Shugden. Applique thangka Unlike painted thangkas as they are created using different colors of quality fabrics and piece them together to created images of holy beings.

Preparation of a applique thangka involves the construction of the prescribed grid adhering to measurements ( Tibetan iconogrphy, sacred geometery) to position the deity's body.

The drawing is then refined into shapes like a puzzle for the silk to be sewed on. Silks and brocades are selected and assembled as the deity takes shape. The thangka is fully made in fabric, using best quality silks, satins and brocades and backed with cotton.
Most patrons of such a Buddha image would have the completed piece consecrated by a lama's prayers to activate its nature as a meditation tool.

lotus1

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Rejoice to see such a huge applique thangka of Lord Shugden. It is definitely showing signs of the growth of Lord Shugden in this area. Anyone know where is the place?

Thanks diablo1974 for sharing on what is an applique thangka (or called ‘go-tang’) which is different from the common painted thangka (‘tson tang’). I learned that this technique is started from 15th century.

Appliqued thangkas are often thought of as superior to the painted thangkas due to their choice of high quality materials, durability, suppleness and their ability to last many generations. There is no brittle paint to crack. There are no glues to come unstuck. All pieces are masterfully hand stitched using special embroidery techniques. This type of thangka has the potential to last many generations.

In Tibet, it is a highly regarded skill of thangka making traditionally been passed on from senior monks to the younger generation. Unfortunately, this tradition has largely been lost in Tibet though it has resurfaced with the exiled Tibetans in India. It is suitable for giant festival thangkas that designed to be unrolled against a wall in a monastery for particular religious occasion.

I hope to see more and more of these huge applique thangka of Lord Shugden especially in the region that i am staying!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
I find it is quite amusing when one side of the world is debating that the practice is evil and will die off eventually and the other side saying that it's going strong in parts of the world.  Yet, they are still people don't know about the ban.  Whether they know or not, they have come across this protector, it is a sign of growth.  If not we won't be lucky enough to have this image available on line.  If the practice is dying or lessened, information will get lost and first thing this forum will die off slowly but this seems to not be the case.

its more like the other part of the world has difficulty accepting the fact that Dorje Shugden is not as bad as he appears to be and they are refusing to see or accept what is so clear in front about them regarding Dorje Shugden: He is not as bad as he seems, and neither is his practice fading out or dying or evil with that said. Dorje Shugden is being practiced by China and China is the most populated country in the world, so no matter how many americans and europeans think that Dorje Shugden is bad (and even among them, there are pro Shugdenites), There are still MORE Dorje Shugden practitioners than they think. Unless China is not considered part of the world.

dsiluvu

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »

Haha Barzin u said it... if it is lessening then why oh why are we seeing more and more activities and monasteries growing all around the world not just in China's Tibet. Some how i think this fact is something we cannot ignore and twist around because actions and results speaks more then a thousand words.

And it is really hilarious is 90% of the world does not even care about the ban and controversy. I think they have far more global issues to think about and people are more concern like about their economy and their own lives and how to stay in balance with it all. The one thing good that came out of this ban is that more and more people got to hear and see and read about Dorje Shugden. Whether or not they care is a different story but at least by one glance of an ENlightened image it is said that the seed is planted in them which is not bad I must say.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
If the practice is dying or lessened, information will get lost and first thing this forum will die off slowly but this seems to not be the case.

If the practice is dying or lessened, then it would be pretty obvious that this website will not exist at all. the other thing that would be obvious is that not much information about Dorje Shugden can be found online and this is not the case. There are many more Dorje Shugden practitioners around the world, some of them are keeping a low profile. However, the part where it says that Dorje Shugden practice is declining is not true at all, given that China wants their monasteries to practice him.