Author Topic: The Dalai Lama attends World Meet for Peace and Harmony  (Read 9217 times)

Ensapa

• Email
The Dalai Lama attends World Meet for Peace and Harmony
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »
The Dalai Lama is inspiring other religious leaders to have peace in their respective religions and to discuss on how to coexist better with other religions. My question is this: why is he not doing anything towards the situation with the Dorje Shugden devotees? Why cant he just get along with all the Dorje Shugden Lamas and practitioners and tell his Tibetans to get along with them as well? Hmm.

The Dalai Lama attends World Meet for Peace and Harmony
Phayul[Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:40]

His Holiness the Dalai Lama speaking at the All Faiths Prayer Meeting at the Universal Temple of Sri Ramakrishna in New Delhi, India, on September 11, 2012. (Photo/OHHDL/Tenzin Choejor)
DHARAMSHALA, September 12: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama took part in an all-faith prayer meet and inaugurated the World Meet for Peace and Harmony in New Delhi, Tuesday.

The events were organised to commemorate the 119th year of renowned Hindu scholar Swami Vivekananda’s rousing speech at the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago, introducing Hinduism and propagating world peace.

More than a hundred scholars and participants are attending the two-day World Meet as part of 'Awakening India' celebrations organised by the Ramakrishna Ashram to commemorate 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.

Former President of India, Dr A P J Abdul Kalam in his address quoted at length from Vivekananda's historic 1893 speech and urged world leaders to practice his positive approach in denouncing hatred among communities and sectarianism.

Speaking at the inaugural ceremony, the Dalai Lama said the spirit of Swami Vivekananda was living and growing and praised India for making it a reality the aspiration of all religions flourishing and living together in harmony.

“Swami Vivekananda is no longer with us, but the spirit of what he achieved is alive and growing,” the 77-year-old Tibetan leader said. “He had great foresight and I feel I am a follower, trying to implement his dream of creating inter-religious harmony in the world.”

Drawing from his past experiences of attending the Parliament of World Religions in Cape Town and Melbourne, the Dalai Lama, while respecting Swami-ji’s vision, cautioned that there was a risk of these meetings just becoming occasions for religious leaders to exchange calling cards.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama and former President of India, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, during the inaugural session of the World Meeting for Peace and Harmony in New Delhi, India, on September 11, 2012. (Photo/OHHDL/Tenzin Choejor)
“I feel we need to make more effort if we are to actively foster harmony among our traditions. In Melbourne I said that effects come from actions not mere talk.”

His Holiness expressed his gratitude to all our religious traditions for conveying the same message of love and compassion despite their differing philosophical views.

“In a world of 7 billion human beings with different ways of life these different traditions are necessary for humanity,” the Dalai Lama remarked. “Realistically speaking we need these different approaches to achieve inner peace and peace in the community.”

His Holiness also commended the Ramakrishna Mission’s emphasis on education, noting that education is the proper way to achieve far-reaching results and to promote compassion and tolerance in society.

The Ramakrishna Mission, a philanthropic, volunteer organisation that conducts extensive welfare and educational work, was founded by Swami Vivekananda in 1897.

Amitabha

• Email
Re: The Dalai Lama attends World Meet for Peace and Harmony
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:28 AM »
“In a world of 7 billion human beings with different ways of life these different traditions are necessary for humanity,” the Dalai Lama remarked. “Realistically speaking we need these different approaches to achieve inner peace and peace in the community.”

His Holiness also commended the Ramakrishna Mission’s emphasis on education, noting that education is the proper way to achieve far-reaching results and to promote compassion and tolerance in society.

;D

Manjushri

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
“He had great foresight and I feel I am a follower, trying to implement his dream of creating inter-religious harmony in the world.” ~ His Holiness the Dalai Lama

How can one possibly create inter-religious harmony when one cannot even create harmony within their same religion? It's like trying to build the tallest building in the world, when you haven't even built a building before.

Yes, inter-religious harmony is an excellent stance to work towards creating but if even within religions, there is no harmony, how is it possible to even create that harmony between other religions? Tibetan Buddhism has been greatly divided, because His Holiness has asked people not to practise Dorje Shugden, which has been practised by many of the lineage lamas. Pro-Shugden and Anti-Shugden Tibetan Buddhists are at odds against one another and all this has boiled down to the fact that HHDL has asked fellow Tibetan Buddhists to stop the practise as it shortens his life - a Buddha's life.

“I feel we need to make more effort if we are to actively foster harmony among our traditions. In Melbourne I said that effects come from actions not mere talk.” ~ His Holiness the Dalai Lama

What effort is being made to mend the torn relationship between Tibetan Buddhists?

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
The "whys?" may not be answered as what we expect. I guess those on the other side may be asking the same to those who are still doing the practice.

Let us work together with our pens and practices but not with swords or words that cut the oppositions.

I strongly believe in Dorje Shugden and I respect HHDL. If I do not then I might as well not practice dharma. The roads leading to my total liberation are rocky with potholes and obstacles. This is just the beginning of my journey but I have to plod on.

kris

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »
I'm glad HH Dalai Lama, as a head figure for Buddhism is helping to promote world peace and harmony. There are really too much hatred among people of different religions, and incidents of killing each other has often happened. That's why we really need someone to promote peace.

This topic is of HH Dalai Lama being a peace figure but unfair towards Dorje Shugden practitioners is much debated here and it does not quite make sense. All i can say is it is for a bigger reason, and we just have to use this as a way to pressure the ban to be lifted soon.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
I for one is very happy that the Dalai Lama is going around promoting peace, harmony and love with other religions. Lately, the Dalai Lama has been appearing in many occasions with many religious sects and community with this regards.

I hate to say this again, but I would have to repeat myself that the Dalai Lama is contradicting himself when he says that Peace is very important. The Tibetan community is not in peace, inner and outer. The Tibetan community is separated because of the ban imposed on Dorje Shugden practitioners by the Dalai Lama. Do you call this peace?

Please Dalai Lama, show us what you really mean when you are promoting peace elsewhere and also please keep your OWN community in peace as well. All Tibetans need you as their religious head and not someone who discriminate them because of different practices. If the Dalai Lama were to lift the ban, I am pretty sure that those who hate him will love him back.

dsnowlion

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »
I don't get it?!!!!

Your Holiness, you talk about Peace, Harmony and Tolerance yet there is none given to those who has a different practice and who choose to remain loyal to their Guru's advice.

Even if someone who practices Satanic is allowed schooling and to go to a normal sundry shops to buy their daily supplies and grocery... How come Shugden practitioners are not allowed?

You Holiness talk about unity, uniting everyone together as one Tibetan, and as one brother and sisters of this planet earth we live in but there is none for those who practice Dorje Shugden? Yet Dorje Shugden was the one who saved Your Holiness life and help Your Holiness escape to India.

How is it that monks and nuns are allowed to be violent, to encourage violence amongst the lay people, to allow Shugden familie's home to be attacked, their belonging destroyed, their house destroyed and be driven out of their own homes??? How is all this possible when one preaches compassion? If I was new to Dharma and I hear of such stories of how Tibetans treat their own brothers and sisters.. I would definitely quit Dharma and not support the Tibetan goal cos it is all a sham.

How is all this possible under the compassionate mother land of India who is a democratic country? Doesn't this make the Indian Govt look weak for not being able to control their refuges?

All I can say and hope that there is a much bigger and positive impact and result due to this ridiculous Ban but I think it is time it is removed!

Barzin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
Many of us are probably angry over the contradictory acts of His Holiness due to the unfairness of treatment.  On the other hand but deep inside we know His Holiness must have his reasons to manifest this way.  I guess we are just speaking out of impatience.  WHEN? will always be the question of when the ban is going to be removed?  This has caused much unnecessary disharmony among our own religion and how could we set a good example to other religion?   So what is going to happen now His Holiness may I ask. We are getting impatient.

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »
Many of us are probably angry over the contradictory acts of His Holiness due to the unfairness of treatment.  On the other hand but deep inside we know His Holiness must have his reasons to manifest this way.  I guess we are just speaking out of impatience.  WHEN? will always be the question of when the ban is going to be removed?  This has caused much unnecessary disharmony among our own religion and how could we set a good example to other religion?   So what is going to happen now His Holiness may I ask. We are getting impatient.

I think the whole point of this is not to harbour further negativity into the situation but be a torch wading ourselves together with other like minded people into the new era of logic and spiritual reality. No matter how much anger we harbour onto the situation, it will only worsen whatever's on the dining table now.

Join everyone else on this forum and website to spread harmony and peace through understanding the real agenda of Buddha's intention - compassion and wisdom through skillful means.
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Lineageholder

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:16:28 AM »
WHEN? will always be the question of when the ban is going to be removed?

Why would he remove it?  He's not going to because he wants the ban to stay in place for political reasons.

Mana

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »

Why would he remove it?  He's not going to because he wants the ban to stay in place for political reasons.

Politics change. Political agendas change. Political directions change. Nothing stays stagnant. Politicians change. So the ban can and will change.
 :)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
As Buddhists we believe in impermanence, hence the ban will be lifted. The 5th Dalai Lama changed his mind, therefore the 14th Dalai Lama can too! It has been predicted that the ban will be lifted soon and I do believe that if we truly wish the ban to be lifted, we should create the causes. How? There are so many ways, but try these for a start…

• Participate in this forum so that people who are interested in Dorje Shugden can read and learn about the true situation about the ban.
  • Write to your local MP, write to the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), to human rights organisations. For those who don’t know what to write, the letters have been kindly prepared for us http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/spread-the-word/write-a-letter/
  • Share as much information about Dorje Shugden as possible. Share it on facebook, twitter, tumblr, pinterest etc
  • If you’re old school and not into social media, try printing bumf out and pop it into libraries, shopping centre information booths, anywhere interesting where people can pick up a brochure or two… be imaginative! http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/downloads/promotional/
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

thor

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »
Since we are talking about peace, harmony and interfaith getting along, I'd like to share this picture I found. Who do you think it is? Doesnt it look like Buddha Shakyamuni and Queen Maya?

Would it surprise you to know that it is actually a Persian (islamic) depiction of Jesus and Mother Mary? The similarities to Buddhist imagery is surprising. We, and our religions, are alot closely entwined that we think.

kris

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
@Thor, thank you for sharing such beautiful picture!

Yes, all religions should transcend compassionate, love, tolerance,  relieve of pain of everyone. That's why the perception of such holy beings, whatever religion they belong to, look very much the same if we look closely. In many ways, Mother Mary and Kuan Yin (Chenrezig) (especially in Chinese culture) looks very similar to me. May be they have the same mind stream :)

Many Lamas has said this before, "We should look for similarities between religions, NOT the differences. This will promote world peace."

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »

Politics change. Political agendas change. Political directions change. Nothing stays stagnant. Politicians change. So the ban can and will change.
 :)

The Dalai Lama has changed so many times within the last few decades:

First, he was pro Shugden and even composed a prayer to him,
then, nechung purportedly stopped him from taking sogtae from Trijang Rinpoche
afterwards, the yellow book was used as an excuse to demonize Shugden
Then he said that Dorje Shugden was shortening his life
and now, he says whatever we chose to practice, it is up to us

so next, would it be that, he apologizes and says that Dorje Shugden is an enlightened Buddha after all?