Author Topic: We need to be 21st century Buddhists: Dalai Lama  (Read 12457 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
We need to be 21st century Buddhists: Dalai Lama
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
Dear All,

another article by the Dalai Lama to share:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/We-need-to-be-21st-century-Buddhists-Dalai-Lama/articleshow/16583639.cms?intenttarget=no

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DHARAMSHALA: The 77-year-old Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has exhorted his followers to be a Buddhist of the 21st century and said that he would prefer building learning centres than monasteries or temples. The noble peace laureate pointed out that Buddhist practice is to use our intelligence to the maximum and transform our emotions. Buddhism is growing as more and more scientists are focusing on the mind in tackling emotions, he said.

"The Tibetan spirit comes from Buddhism which is more than 2500-year-old tradition in which interest is growing. Chinese communism is based on ideas that are barely 200-year-old and whose influence is declining," said the Dalai Lama, while interacting with a group of about 102 Vietnamese at his exile seat in McLeodganj on Wednesday.

The Dalai Lama said that Buddhism does not talk about a soul, but acknowledges the existence of a self that is designated on the continuity of the mind.

"More and more scientists are showing interest in the mind, in tackling the emotions. In this connection, their interest in what Buddhism has to say is growing. Buddhism describes different levels of mind, the sensory consciousness which depends on the brain, but also a more subtle level of mental consciousness," he explained.

The spiritual leader added that scientific investigation of this phenomenon has begun.

"We need to be 21st century Buddhists. Buddhist practice is to use our intelligence to the maximum to transform our emotions. For this, knowledge is very important. Western scholars often suggest that Buddhism is not so much a religion, but more a science of the mind. The concept of emptiness of intrinsic existence is also important. When we investigate reality, we cannot find something independently, intrinsically existent. Ignorance, our misconception about reality, is the basis of our destructive emotions. The counter force is reason, taking a scientific approach to correcting our view," said Dalai Lama.

When asked about current tensions between Vietnam and China over the Paracel and Spratly Islands off both their coasts, the Dalai replied that anger would not help, anger would not affect the Chinese mind. It would be far better to try to influence them by friendly means, "which is not to say that this can't be done from a position of toughness". He acknowledged that in 1979 when China sought to teach Vietnam a lesson, they were faced by a tough, battle-hardened Vietnamese army.

"I don't especially favour constructing a monastery or temple, I'd prefer to see an academic centre of learning instead, and somewhere that could be a focus for the study of Buddhist philosophy, Daoism and secular ethics. I recently told people in Ladakh that they should aim to make their monasteries centres of learning," he said.

=======================================================================

"When we investigate reality, we cannot find something independently, intrinsically existent. Ignorance, our misconception about reality, is the basis of our destructive emotions. The counter force is reason, taking a scientific approach to correcting our view," said Dalai Lama.

Indeed Your Holiness, like what HHDL says, we are here to provide information and facts in reality. On a larger level, the entire controversy is the basis creating destruction within and without the Buddhist facets which have no basis at all.

Hence, we need to provide everyone with more reasons why the ban is not valid in anyway and provide a solution. Peace, harmony with different thoughts and facets, mutual respect are virtues and qualities which we all are asked to practice. It is time to put these core values of a Buddhist loving faith into action.

CTA don't u think HHDL is trying to bring you guys up to the international arena where spiritualism will be the core driving power to sustain the world from its own destruction? why do u wanna destroy more?
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Rihanna

Re: We need to be 21st century Buddhists: Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:53:36 AM »

"I don't especially favour constructing a monastery or temple, I'd prefer to see an academic centre of learning instead, and somewhere that could be a focus for the study of Buddhist philosophy, Daoism and secular ethics".

Secular ethics?? No, HHDL could't have said that. CTA is abusing our freedom by banning the practice of Dorje Shugden. In public the HHDL is preaching harmony, secular ethics, learning and tolerance. On the other hand the CTA is practicing witch-hunt against the followers of Dorje Shugden. My opinion is that those who speak universally of freedom, harmony democracy and secular ethics, yet persecute and restrict their own people must be seen for the hypocrites that they are. There is no room in the 21st century for this form of behaviour.

AnneQ

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Although it is easy to relate CTA's actions towards all DS practitioners to HHDL's doing, it must be said that HHDL has in the past already announced his 'retirement' from Tibetan politics and is no longer a political figure, and has since appointed a secular leader Lobsang Sangey to lead the Tibetan Government in Exile. So what CTA does or does not do today cannot for sure reflect the sentiments of HHDL. To be fair, of late we have experienced HHDL taking a softer stance towards DS and supporters of the practice.
That said, despite HHDL disassociation from politics and the CTA, His Holiness as a exalted and respected spiritual leader should still have the 'power' and political clout to lift the ban. But that is not the case. Why? Perhaps because China is now considered the future of the 21st Century and seeing that the Chinese has taken to DS in such a big way, HHDL is paving the path of the future of modern Buddhism to take over the Chinese world, and in turn the rest of the world. Hence the time is not ripe yet to lift the ban, but soon enough it will be. It is just a matter of time...

diamond girl

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
Although it is easy to relate CTA's actions towards all DS practitioners to HHDL's doing, it must be said that HHDL has in the past already announced his 'retirement' from Tibetan politics and is no longer a political figure, and has since appointed a secular leader Lobsang Sangey to lead the Tibetan Government in Exile. So what CTA does or does not do today cannot for sure reflect the sentiments of HHDL. To be fair, of late we have experienced HHDL taking a softer stance towards DS and supporters of the practice.
That said, despite HHDL disassociation from politics and the CTA, His Holiness as a exalted and respected spiritual leader should still have the 'power' and political clout to lift the ban. But that is not the case. Why? Perhaps because China is now considered the future of the 21st Century and seeing that the Chinese has taken to DS in such a big way, HHDL is paving the path of the future of modern Buddhism to take over the Chinese world, and in turn the rest of the world. Hence the time is not ripe yet to lift the ban, but soon enough it will be. It is just a matter of time...

Well said AnneQ. I especially like what I have highlighted above.

Yes the CTA, or ex-TGIE, was indeed headed by HHDL when the Ban was enforced. However, it is quite obvious like what AnneQ said that HHDL has on many occasions shown a softer approach and also his teachings are staritng to make people think. So it is good that here we are highlighting this so that more can learn and be more objective. What the HHDL has said in this article is for general Buddhism and for the direction into modern 21st Century Buddhism.

I agree that learning institutions should be established where people learn about mind transformation so to manage our emotions thus reduce the suffering so many inflict upon ourselves. This would be better as many people today do not have what it takes to be a holy monk. I hear of many monks who disrobe. Where do we hear of great Lamas who are young. We still hear of previous reincarnations like Trijang Rinpoche and Pabongka Rinpoche who are the great scholars and teachers.

However, I do not think that HHDL means that monasteries are not important. It actually is even ever more now since the learning institutions will need teachers. I would prefer a monk to teach me Buddhism rather than some lecturer/professor who has no experience of holding vows. Therefore, as I agree with HHDL that more learning institutions should be built, I also place more importance on preserving the monasteries today so that they are well funded to provide for good conditions for the holy monks. This to me is preserving Buddhism for the 21st Century.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Dear All,

another article by the Dalai Lama to share:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/We-need-to-be-21st-century-Buddhists-Dalai-Lama/articleshow/16583639.cms?intenttarget=no

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DHARAMSHALA: The 77-year-old Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has exhorted his followers to be a Buddhist of the 21st century and said that he would prefer building learning centres than monasteries or temples. The noble peace laureate pointed out that Buddhist practice is to use our intelligence to the maximum and transform our emotions. Buddhism is growing as more and more scientists are focusing on the mind in tackling emotions, he said.

"The Tibetan spirit comes from Buddhism which is more than 2500-year-old tradition in which interest is growing. Chinese communism is based on ideas that are barely 200-year-old and whose influence is declining," said the Dalai Lama, while interacting with a group of about 102 Vietnamese at his exile seat in McLeodganj on Wednesday.

The Dalai Lama said that Buddhism does not talk about a soul, but acknowledges the existence of a self that is designated on the continuity of the mind.

"More and more scientists are showing interest in the mind, in tackling the emotions. In this connection, their interest in what Buddhism has to say is growing. Buddhism describes different levels of mind, the sensory consciousness which depends on the brain, but also a more subtle level of mental consciousness," he explained.

The spiritual leader added that scientific investigation of this phenomenon has begun.

"We need to be 21st century Buddhists. Buddhist practice is to use our intelligence to the maximum to transform our emotions. For this, knowledge is very important. Western scholars often suggest that Buddhism is not so much a religion, but more a science of the mind. The concept of emptiness of intrinsic existence is also important. When we investigate reality, we cannot find something independently, intrinsically existent. Ignorance, our misconception about reality, is the basis of our destructive emotions. The counter force is reason, taking a scientific approach to correcting our view," said Dalai Lama.

When asked about current tensions between Vietnam and China over the Paracel and Spratly Islands off both their coasts, the Dalai replied that anger would not help, anger would not affect the Chinese mind. It would be far better to try to influence them by friendly means, "which is not to say that this can't be done from a position of toughness". He acknowledged that in 1979 when China sought to teach Vietnam a lesson, they were faced by a tough, battle-hardened Vietnamese army.

"I don't especially favour constructing a monastery or temple, I'd prefer to see an academic centre of learning instead, and somewhere that could be a focus for the study of Buddhist philosophy, Daoism and secular ethics. I recently told people in Ladakh that they should aim to make their monasteries centres of learning," he said.

=======================================================================

"When we investigate reality, we cannot find something independently, intrinsically existent. Ignorance, our misconception about reality, is the basis of our destructive emotions. The counter force is reason, taking a scientific approach to correcting our view," said Dalai Lama.

Indeed Your Holiness, like what HHDL says, we are here to provide information and facts in reality. On a larger level, the entire controversy is the basis creating destruction within and without the Buddhist facets which have no basis at all.

Hence, we need to provide everyone with more reasons why the ban is not valid in anyway and provide a solution. Peace, harmony with different thoughts and facets, mutual respect are virtues and qualities which we all are asked to practice. It is time to put these core values of a Buddhist loving faith into action.

CTA don't u think HHDL is trying to bring you guys up to the international arena where spiritualism will be the core driving power to sustain the world from its own destruction? why do u wanna destroy more?

The thing about it is, if you examine the article without adding any context with it, the Dalai Lama doesnt speak any mistruths.

What I find interesting is the following statement: "the Dalai replied that anger would not help, anger would not affect the Chinese mind. It would be far better to try to influence them by friendly means"

Replace "Chinese" with "Dorje Shugden practitioners"...

It makes me wonder if the Dalai Lamas supporters actually read anything he says, or if their too far up their own arses chanting, "The Dalai Lama is great, the Dalai Lama is great"...which is he, but if they stopped once in a while to LISTEN to what he says, they might stand to gain something from it.

hope rainbow

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
I find it very interesting that HH encourages the setting up of learning centers in which Dharma is made available for spiritual seekers with an intellectual mind.

As HH has traveled far and wide and talked to many different groups of people and also individuals, HH must have come to the conclusion that the monasteries are already spreading to as many as they can and that to spread Dharma further it requires places of learning that are not labelled with a religious etiquette but approach Dharma with a less mystical and more intellectual approach.

The result would equate to a betterment of people's thoughts and behavior and set them up in the right direction, that is a start already.

Intellect can be an obstacle for practitioners to reach to a more "mystical" level for which a less intellectual mindset is required, that is a mindset of faith. I say less without meaning "less worthy", I say less because intellect must be tuned down a little, I think, for faith to kick in. Because faith requires for practitioners to surrender to a reality that is beyond intellect.

Faith in the fact that one's Guru knows better than the little me, that lineage holders know better, that many masters before and the Buddha Himself knows better.

When Abraham was asked by God to sacrifice his son, he had to put intellect aside and engage in a mind of faith, only when he demonstrated his faith did God stop him before he committed an infanticide.
Intellectually it was making no sense for God to ask Abraham to kill his son. It could not have made sense in Abraham's mind...
But then it made sense eventually for faith had been established in Abraham's mind, result, result, result.

beggar

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »
And indeed, being 21-st century Buddhists, surely, would not entail witchhunts against people who have differing religious beliefs and practices?

I'd like to draw your attention to this letter / article that was written by this website a while ago: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/spread-the-word/write-a-letter/make-a-difference-letter-27/ (I've reposted the article below for your reference, which can be read in relations to this recent article about the dalai lama)

The discussion here about the kind of outdated religious policies found across world history is relevant here. It's important to look at how nations have progressed and how they have positioned religious freedom within their development and progress. The most successful nations in the world have become so because of their clear distinction between the secular and religious spheres of their society. Also, because they have learnt the hard way that religious oppression cannot work. They are progressive, well-respected and forward-thinking because they understand the importance of granting citizens their fair right and freedom to choose their own religions, beliefs, practices.

This is what it means to be in the 21st-century, Buddhist or not. This is what it means to be in the 21st Century, simply as a global citizen in the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE HISTORY OF WORLD RELIGIONS
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/spread-the-word/write-a-letter/make-a-difference-letter-27/

To our friends of the Tibetan communities around the world,

We are writing to you today with a great wish for the continued success and growth of the Central Tibetan Administration and communities around the world. As you step into a new age, we understand the many challenges that you have struggled with in the last five decades as you reestablish your communities and leadership in places around the world. Your efforts are to be applauded.

However, we also believe that for a nation and its people to become truly progressive and compete on a global level, one needs to have a strong awareness of world history and issues, as well as a respect for the needs and freedoms of individuals.

We have recently come across some very powerful videos about some of the most unforgettable events in world history and current affairs. We would like to share them with you here, as an exchange of knowledge. We hope that this will help you in the development of your own policy and decision-making for the Tibetan people. It is important that we learn from the past, so we do not to make the same mistakes again in the future.

Below are six videos we have chosen specially for your viewing. We have also included here links to transcripts of each video for your easy reference. Below this are brief summaries of the videos with a few remarkable points of interest for you to consider and contemplate.

1. The Most Evil Men in History: Torquemada (of the Spanish inquisition)
The Most Evil Men in History-Torquemada (FULL)

2. The Most Evil Women in History: Bloody Queen Mary of Scotland
The Most Evil Women In History - Bloody Mary Tudor (part1/3)

3. The Last Days: a documentary by Steven Spielberg
The Last Days (Steven Speilberg,Shoah,1998)[1Maven].avi

4. Christian Persecution in Iran
CHRISTIAN PERSECUTION IN IRAN

5. Christian Persecution in Egypt
Christian Persecution in Egypt

6. North Korea has the deadliest level of Christian persecution in the world
North Korea has the deadliest level of Christian persecution in the world

As you will see from the first three videos, first-world developed nations – the UK, Spain, Germany and other major countries in Europe – had horrific histories and suffered many traumatic ordeals, pain and even thousands of cruel deaths. All this was done in the name of religion – to protect religion or to defend what they called religious purity.

The strength of these nations now lies in the fact that they have gone through horrific pasts and realized that such violent, unjust ways of suppression and conversion do not work and do not serve the people and country. These videos point to the evolutionary growth within these countries and the process that has led to them giving their citizens more freedom and personal power.

From the tragic events they suffered, these leading countries in the world now strongly promote and uphold personal freedoms – for example, the freedom of religion, speech and movement. When citizens of a free and truly democratic country have more freedoms, they are enabled, empowered and encouraged to do more for their country. They have the freedoms to learn and continuously explore new horizons. This is why these countries now produce such progressive and world-famous leaders, artists, scientists, entrepreneurs, innovators etc. Imagine how different things would be if they had not gone through such histories – what dark ages they would still be in and what limitations their people would still suffer.

In contrast, consider the last three videos on the list above, which documents the strong, violent religious persecution that is still happening in countries today around the world. Iran, Egypt and North Korean have been featured in news reports globally for their terrible abuse of human rights and for their obvious oppression, discrimination and violence towards religious minorities in their country.

Then, consider the state of those nations – they are not progressive, nor are they counted among the most successful countries in the world today. They are still in much need of progress, are far behind on development and suffer continuously from internal conflicts. Comparatively, these nations are not wealthy and there are very few opportunities in life for their citizens. In the case of Egypt, the leaders oppressed their people so much that they eventually all stood up and revolted against the leader Mubarak to force him out of power.

So which situation will it be for the Tibetans? The success enjoyed by the progressive, democratic First World countries? Or the oppressed and limited state of these other more backward, undemocratic countries? Unfortunately, we know that the modern freedoms of the First World are not observed nor enjoyed within the Tibetan communities around the world. The restrictions placed on people who practice the Protector Deity Dorje Shugden reflects the same kind of religious persecution found in these videos. They may not be as violent, but they come from the same basis: Shugden practitioners are not allowed to have freedom of religion and they are denied equal rights and liberties that are enjoyed by all other citizens.

The people supporting the ban of Dorje Shugden say that they are doing so to protect the Buddhadharma and preserve the purity of Buddhist practice. This sounds just like what Torquemada said during the Spanish Inquisition against the Jews, and what Queen Mary Tudor said to defend Catholicism as she killed hundreds of Protestant Christians. It is also what some Muslims are saying today as they destroy Christians in their countries.

People who do not give up the practice of Shugden are not given the basic freedoms and rights of all citizens – education, jobs in the CTA, medical aid and general welfare. They are not allowed to openly communicate or befriend non-Shugden practitioners. Many are even physical attacked or exiled out of the community. Isn’t this very similar to what the Jews and Protestants went through in the past? Isn’t it the same as what is happening now to Christians in places like Iran and Egypt? Just see the videos to see what discrimination they suffered or are still suffering. There are many similarities to what is happening right now with Shugden practitioners.

As you watch the videos, consider for a moment what it means to establish policies and carry out actions against your fellow people in the name of religion. Is this what religion teaches us to do? It is illogical to say we want to preserve religious purity, but we are engaging in acts that are opposite to what our religions teach. There is no religion in the world that encourages us to harm another person in any way.

We are not sending these videos and letters to you as a criticism or to insult you. We are sending this out of a concern and with care to help your administration to be more progressive, to care better for your Tibetan people. It is to help you to evolve faster, the same way that all these powerful countries have developed throughout history. It is to help you to become a very powerful people and nation, with powerful individuals who can contribute actively and freely to the world.

We have only good hopes for your administration leadership and wish you the best for your future as a leading nature in the world. Please do take the time to watch these videos and take heed of our sincere request to you to open your views to these histories of world religion. May these videos and this letter contribute to the further growth, openness and freedoms of your government and community.

Our best wishes,
dorjeshugden.com
dorjeshugden.net
xiongdeng.com

kris

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
It is said that we are in the degeneration era, and in this time, it will more and more difficult for people to practice Buddhism teachings. I can see that with my own eyes that this statement is so true. Guru devotion is such a "simple" and straight forward thing for Lamas 1 or 2 generations before us. Now I can see many can't really embrace Guru devotion. As such, people's willingness to renounce and give up all the things the society tell us are pleasurable, is less and less. This will lead to less monks in the monasteries.. This is what leads to HH Dalai Lama said, the need for more Dharma learning centers.

However, it seems like whatever HH Dalai Lama said can't really be applied to Dorje Shugden practitioners as pointed out by others here... :(

diablo1974

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »
 i agree it will be more and more difficult and challenging to get people into real Dharma in this degeneration age. Buddha Shakyamuni predicted 2500years ago there will be many obstacles for people in these centuries to meet and to learn the Buddhadharma.

The Dalai Lama focuses on using science and logic analysis as one of our benchmark in being a 21st century buddhists, which i totally agreed upon. But when comes to the issue of Dorje Shugden, i  can see 'holes' in the "logic argument" relating to the DS topic. 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
It is said that we are in the degeneration era, and in this time, it will more and more difficult for people to practice Buddhism teachings. I can see that with my own eyes that this statement is so true. Guru devotion is such a "simple" and straight forward thing for Lamas 1 or 2 generations before us. Now I can see many can't really embrace Guru devotion. As such, people's willingness to renounce and give up all the things the society tell us are pleasurable, is less and less. This will lead to less monks in the monasteries.. This is what leads to HH Dalai Lama said, the need for more Dharma learning centers.

However, it seems like whatever HH Dalai Lama said can't really be applied to Dorje Shugden practitioners as pointed out by others here... :(

Yep, it is true when they call this the degenerate age and that it is very difficult for us to practice the Dharma. There are just too many distractions around for us to practice properly and too many ideas and traditions and religions to choose from that we dont know what is right or which is right and wrong. So people often get confused. But one thing for sure is if we focus on the field that we are interested in, we will succeed.

Manjushri

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »
21st Century Buddhists do not promote discrimination, unequal rights, unequal opportunities and unjust bans. It does not promote violence, disharmony, biased decisions and ungratefulness.

Since HHDL says that we have to embrace spirituality in the 21st century, which is based on knowledge and logic, then what logic is there to the ban in today's society of practising Buddhists. Since HHDL has said that "Buddhism does not talk about a soul, but acknowledges the existence of a self that is designated on the continuity of the mind", then why not lets explore the reasons behind the continuity in the mind of Dorje Shugden and what role he has played before, and how the mindstream of DS practitioners and lamas have continued. From that basis, then we can explore the ban as a 21st century practising Buddhist. How does practising Dorje Shugden and the "science of the mind to tackle our emotions" relate to one another? Since Dorje Shugden practitioners and lamas are able to control their minds to tackle afflictive emotions, just like non DS practitioners, does it then bring no basis to the ban of a practise which is able to help one achieve the same result?

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
I agree with the Dalai Lama that Buddhists need to adapt with the 21st century. In fact many high Lamas eg HH Trijang Rinpoche is very modern and yet still held in the highest regard in the Gelupa lineage. Many high lamas live in the United States and Europe with Dharma Centers and not monasteries.

Many famous scientists like Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking have written about universal law and theory that matches with Buddhism. Modern technology such as media and telecommunication have proven to be the fastest and most effective method of spreading dharma in this modern era.

This dorjeshugden site is a perfect example. Without tapping into the modern technology availed in the 21st century, how else would Buddhist and non-Budhdist be able to discover so much about the practice of Dorje Shugden and all the issues surrounding it.

There is not point to attack or criticize the Dalai Lama for his actions or his words. HH has always appeared to contradict himself. I once ready that Buddha said the dharma has not contradiction. If one is regard the Dalai Lama as emanation iof Chenrezig, then HH is none another than a living Buddha and hence HH's actions and speech are not contradictory. It is perhaps only that we do not posses the wisdom to truly discern between truth and delusion that we see HH's act as contradictory.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »

I am all for modernisation and moving with the times, but the Dalai Lama seems too eager to secularise a very rich and ancient tradition that has been preserved for centuries and that it has been vigorously preserved and protected is why it is found to be effective even today. I am not so sure that Dharma centres can replace monasteries and neither am I convinced that knowledge of Dharma is equivalent to application of Dharma as practiced based on strict monastic codes. However, I would agree that the approach to Dharma needs to be innovative.

Now, as for the 21st century Buddhisy, the 21st Century Buddhist has to be a thinking Buddhist and one who uses the vast and readily available information resources to investigate statements and discern facts from fiction. The 21st Buddhist would not and should not abandon reason and logic and choose instead to be blindly led as if he or she is a serf owned by a feudalistic and theocratic lord, who decides what he/she should think and believe.

The 21st Century Buddhist would not accept the Shugden ban based on the rickety reason posited by the Dalai Lama and the CTA. The 21st Century Buddhist would and should question the Dalai Lama on the many inconsistencies that has come to characterise the Shugden ban and force the issue to be debated.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »

I am all for modernisation and moving with the times, but the Dalai Lama seems too eager to secularise a very rich and ancient tradition that has been preserved for centuries and that it has been vigorously preserved and protected is why it is found to be effective even today. I am not so sure that Dharma centres can replace monasteries and neither am I convinced that knowledge of Dharma is equivalent to application of Dharma as practiced based on strict monastic codes. However, I would agree that the approach to Dharma needs to be innovative.

Now, as for the 21st century Buddhisy, the 21st Century Buddhist has to be a thinking Buddhist and one who uses the vast and readily available information resources to investigate statements and discern facts from fiction. The 21st Buddhist would not and should not abandon reason and logic and choose instead to be blindly led as if he or she is a serf owned by a feudalistic and theocratic lord, who decides what he/she should think and believe.

The 21st Century Buddhist would not accept the Shugden ban based on the rickety reason posited by the Dalai Lama and the CTA. The 21st Century Buddhist would and should question the Dalai Lama on the many inconsistencies that has come to characterise the Shugden ban and force the issue to be debated.

Indeed the world has changed and is moving at a  very fast pace. So, Buddhism also have to move with times. What that has been practiced centuries ago has to change to suit this era. But the core values and teachings should remain. The Dalai Lama has always stressed that his religion is compassion, which is to be compassionate to all living beings. I think in this materialistic time, it does make a huge difference if someone is being kind to others, which is lacking. A simple gesture of helping others is being Buddhist.

bonfire

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:27:07 AM »
Yes we do aspire to be 21st century Buddhists.
And we aspire that the CTA become a 21st century organisation.
Some ideas:

1. remove itself from religious issues all together,
2. remove itself from political issues all together and become a cultural kind of association caring for Tibetans in exile, represent them (to the government of India for example) and act as a bridge between them and the Tibetans back home in China, but without political agenda,
3. care for all Tibetans in exile with equal importance, regardless of their religious choices.