Author Topic: Dorje Shugden & the Guru  (Read 5602 times)

psylotripitaka

Dorje Shugden & the Guru
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
May you realize the Guru & Protector are not separate. May you realize they are not separate from your own mind but indeed, the same nature. That is where the real blessing resides, at the center of your heart pervading everything.

beggar

Re: Dorje Shugden & the Guru
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
This is GREAT Psylotripitaka. Thank you for the reminder. How often we end up creating so many problems for ourselves when we think that everything is outside of us - when we think that our problems come from the outside, or that our liberation will be granted to us from the outside.

At the heart of all our practices, i think our teacher is trying above all to make us realize that we can find this same teacher within us. All the practices - protector, yidam, lojong, lamrim - is to facilitate that, so that we can realize that same nature and qualities that we look for in our teachers. Far from it being a practice of dependency or hero worship, the teacher is actually just a mirror to us to see where we stand in relations to achieving this same Guru inside of ourselves.

The protector practices are excellent for removing the doubts and difficulties we experience as we try to see understand this concept and put it into action or realize it. In the case of Dorje Shugden, this is all the more special, as this protector is also of the same mind essence of the lineage of Gurus that stem back to Lama Tsongkhapa - both are Manjushri. So in our lineage, the protector and guru literally are one.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »
It is exactly this - the Guru and Protector as one - that makes the ban on Dorje Shugden illogical and nonsensical. The ban implies that all the lineage lamas who practiced Dorje Shugden should be banned, yet the texts by Panchen Sonam Drakpa are still being studied in Gaden Shartse and Drepung Loseling monasteries as core texts and as comparative texts in other monasteries. HH the 14th Dalai Lama's Guru, HH Trijang Rinpoche should be banned, yet he is permitted to practice Dorje Shugden. Don't people see this incongruity?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

honeydakini

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
Oh I think it's wonderful that Dorje Shugden himself is not just protector but also the lama. There are some videos on youtube of Dorje Shugden taking trance through an oracle in his lama form, as Duldzin and I have heard of this form giving teachings and initiations. How wonderful is this! Our greatest protection after all is our samaya and our trust in our teachers. So what could be more amazing that the fact that our protector is also our lama (he is after all also one and the same as Tsongkhapa, our founding lineage lama). So to take refuge in Dorje Shugden would also be to take refuge in the Guru / in Lama Tsongkhapa, which is entirely safe and protective for he is completely enlightened.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »
To me, my Guru and Dorje Shugden is one and the same in essence and they both have the same Dharma activities and qualities that I wish to have one day. So to me there is no difference. I do not need to ask the oracle for advice because I already have the best advice from my Guru, but sometimes obstacles do arise when it comes to certain things, especially with the relationship with my Guru and it is those times where i need to depend on my protector to help me protect my vows, my faith and my samaya and also my mind and also to help me repair my samaya with my Guru. That's my own experience with the protector.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 04:46:07 AM »
It is exactly this - the Guru and Protector as one - that makes the ban on Dorje Shugden illogical and nonsensical. The ban implies that all the lineage lamas who practiced Dorje Shugden should be banned, yet the texts by Panchen Sonam Drakpa are still being studied in Gaden Shartse and Drepung Loseling monasteries as core texts and as comparative texts in other monasteries. HH the 14th Dalai Lama's Guru, HH Trijang Rinpoche should be banned, yet he is permitted to practice Dorje Shugden. Don't people see this incongruity?

Agree with you, Wisdom Being. The ban on Dorje Shugden is illogical and does not make sense. Sadly, the ban was imposed by HH Dalai Lama, the head of Tibetan Buddhist and being enforced by CTA. What makes it worse is there are people who is following this directive blindly and acting out unfairly against those who choose to follow their teachers' instructions. So, Dorje Shugden practitioners are not allowed to attend teachings by HHDL but what about Dorje Shugden practitioners being refused medical treatment in hospitals? To me, this ban is getting more than religious already.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
It is said that the Protector works hand-in-hand with the Lama and in fact, the Protect acts on the vajra-command of the Lama. That means the Protector would do anything that the Lama has instructed and their work is inseparable. The Lama works to develop inner qualities within the student and the Protector words to provide favorable conditions for practice as well and clearing of outer obstacles.

The Protector would never act in ways that are contrary to the Lama's instructions even when the Lama is not attained because of the sacred bond between the student and the Lama. Therefore, Dorje Shugden would work to ensure that we always be protected and that may not necessarily means removal of all obstacles. Sometimes Dorje Shugden through his powerful clairvoyance allow the practitioners to experience certain obstacles so that the practitioner emerge stronger and develop stronger conviction in the 3 jewels.

Lineageholder

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »
The Guru, Yidam and Protector - the blessed, holy trinity and supreme field of merit  _/|\_

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:25:47 AM »
It is said that the Protector works hand-in-hand with the Lama and in fact, the Protect acts on the vajra-command of the Lama. That means the Protector would do anything that the Lama has instructed and their work is inseparable. The Lama works to develop inner qualities within the student and the Protector words to provide favorable conditions for practice as well and clearing of outer obstacles.

The Protector would never act in ways that are contrary to the Lama's instructions even when the Lama is not attained because of the sacred bond between the student and the Lama. Therefore, Dorje Shugden would work to ensure that we always be protected and that may not necessarily means removal of all obstacles. Sometimes Dorje Shugden through his powerful clairvoyance allow the practitioners to experience certain obstacles so that the practitioner emerge stronger and develop stronger conviction in the 3 jewels.

I really agree with what you have said, that it is not just that the Dharma protector, the Yidam and the Guru is one and the same, but it is also that sometimes there will be obstacles on the way like how you have put it. Not all obstacles are bad and for some, once there is a breakthrough, things will be a lot easier and it will also help advance on our Dharma practice in more ways than one. The Lama will always have good intentions to help the student although the student may not see it....if the student has bad samaya, then there is no way for neither the Lama, Yidam or Protector to help the student coz the student is denying his or her own innate nature.