Author Topic: Nepali reaction to self immolations there  (Read 10281 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Nepali reaction to self immolations there
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »
A monk (oh no!) has very recently self immolated there, but Nepal's reaction to it is interesting:

Body of Tibetan self-immolator still with Nepali authorities
Phayul[Saturday, February 16, 2013 17:18]

Tibetan self-immolator Drupchen Tsering in an undated photo.

DHARAMSHALA, February 16: The body of the Tibetan monk who set himself on fire in the Nepalese capital of Kathmandu on February 13 has still not been handed over to Tibetan representatives.

Our sources in the city say that Nepalese authorities, acting under the influence of China, have been creating unnecessary obstacles in the process of handing over the body.

“This is just like what is happening in China occupied Tibet where the Chinese officials bundle away the bodies of Tibetan self-immolators and carry out cremations in secrecy,” a local Tibetan activist who didn’t want to be named told Phayul.

“However, concerned people are still talking with authorities and we hope that Nepali officials will respect the sacrifice of the Tibetan monk and handover the body for cremation.”

Earlier, the Tibetan monk was identified as Drupchen Tsering (Druptse), a 25-yea-old monk native of Gyalchung village in Nupsur town of Serta, eastern Tibet.

Druptse recently escaped from Tibet and arrived in Nepal in January this year. He was staying at the Tibetan Reception Centre in Kathmandu since his arrival according to Dharamshala based Tibetan news portal Tibet Express.

Banners put in Boudha, Kathmandu.

“He had earlier told his friends and relatives that he had not been able to do anything for the Tibetan cause in the past but promised to do something constructive for the Tibetan people in the future,” Tibet Express cited sources in Tibet as saying.

Druptse had reportedly wrapped his body with a metal wire and doused his body with gasoline before setting himself ablaze in the morning of February 13 near the holy Boudhanath stupa in the heart of the city.

He passed away at around 10:30 pm (local time) same day after suffering 96 per cent burns.

Druptse is survived by his mother Tselha and father Sangnag Tenzin, who is a reincarnated lama.
Nepalese police have since increased restrictions in Tibetan areas in the city.

Further aggravating the situation, banners under the name of “Locals and Youth of Boudha” have appeared near the protest site, warning that such acts will “make life even harder” for Tibetans.

Calling the self-immolation a “hideous and sinful” act motivated by “dirty politics,” the banner announces: “No more Free Tibet in our holy land.”

“The soul of the victim will rot in hell … You want blood, we give you war,” further reads the banner.

Here's a zoom in on the banner:

By the way, that is what Buddhists around feel, monks self immolating are being a bad example to Buddhists around and it is going against the Buddha's principles. I wonder if some tibetan would self immolate in India now, would India have the same reaction as it is a very blatant way of defacing Buddhism, the community of the area where the self immolator self immolated/is staying as well as the government? interesting.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Nepali reaction to self immolations there
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »
In 1955, Nepal established diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China and exchanged resident ambassadors by 1960. In 1956, both nations signed a new treaty terminating the Treaty of Thapathali of 1856 and Nepal recognised Tibet as a part of China. So if you look at Nepal's historic relationship with China and the current support China gives Nepal because of the Maoist government, even though the Nepal government is not really stable, it is understandable that Nepal would have to be against the self-immolations of Tibetans. This is just Nepal being politically correct. In fact i think the banners are more likely to be created by Chinese propaganda as opposed to Nepali.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
I can understand their reaction - Boudhanath stupa is a holy place.  Geshe Kelsang told us the story of this stupa when he taught in Brasil in 2010 and it's sad that this holy monument was the site of such violence motivated by politics. These actions will bring Buddhism into disrepute in the future and they will achieve nothing in terms of the political goal of a free Tibet.

It's sad that some people have so mixed Tibetan politics and Buddhism in their minds that they are now indistinguishable, something that the confusing role of the Dalai Lama as a political and spiritual leader has a lot to answer for.  I do wish that the Dalai Lama would speak out against these senseless acts of self-violence so that they would end altogether.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:50:22 AM »
In 1955, Nepal established diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China and exchanged resident ambassadors by 1960. In 1956, both nations signed a new treaty terminating the Treaty of Thapathali of 1856 and Nepal recognised Tibet as a part of China. So if you look at Nepal's historic relationship with China and the current support China gives Nepal because of the Maoist government, even though the Nepal government is not really stable, it is understandable that Nepal would have to be against the self-immolations of Tibetans. This is just Nepal being politically correct. In fact i think the banners are more likely to be created by Chinese propaganda as opposed to Nepali.

I dont think it's the nepalis being politically correct, but rather they are not happy that the self immolation happened at Boudha stupa which is a very holy spot. I doubt the Nepali people are political in nature, but one thing i do know is that they are very spiritual people and perhaps, they do feel that self immolations do not justify the ends, especially when a monk does it because they represent Buddhism and as such, if they carry out acts like these it's not exactly good for the image of Buddhism as a whole. The very robes their wearing, at least in the theravardan tradition represents the banner of the arahats, the banner of victory against samsara - enlightenment...and they burn themselves for such a samsaric cause. have a think..

Namdrol

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:36:43 AM »
The Dalai Lama's office and CTA still did not send out strong message to condemn the ugly act of self-immolation despite the cases has surpassed 100. I really hope they are not betting on the self-immolation to gain international attention and to get support, it truly is ugly.

Vietnamses monk Thích Qu?ng ??c was the most famous self-immolator, but it doesnt mean anyone can emulate. If you have tried burning yourself over 100 times and still did not get the same reaction as Thích Qu?ng ??c did, dont you think it is wise to stop already?

Namdrol

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:37:24 AM »
The name of the monk I mentioned above is Thich Quang Duc

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:25:02 AM »
The Dalai Lama's office and CTA still did not send out strong message to condemn the ugly act of self-immolation despite the cases has surpassed 100. I really hope they are not betting on the self-immolation to gain international attention and to get support, it truly is ugly.

Vietnamses monk Thích Qu?ng ??c was the most famous self-immolator, but it doesnt mean anyone can emulate. If you have tried burning yourself over 100 times and still did not get the same reaction as Thích Qu?ng ??c did, dont you think it is wise to stop already?

Actually, The CTA still hopes that self immolations is the way to Tibetan independence but if you have notices, most of the self immolators are young and restless people who would want recognition. Except for a few, most of them are young people who are easily brainwashed. If the kashag and sikyong really think that self immolations are the way to a free Tibet and that they feel so strongly against the Chinese rule, why have we not heard of any of the kashag self immolating? It is becoming very clear that CTA is cold hearted to allow people to immolate themselves, at the very least. It would be very shocking soon if China reveals the source to come from the CTA with solid proof and with that, more and more countries will lose their respect for CTA.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
This may sound harsh but acts such as this one, no matter now noble in intention, is actually quite damaging to both Buddhism and the Tibetan cause. To me, not only was it a complete waste of a good life but it was a mistake to commit such anti-Dharmic acts in a holy place. If anything, Bodanath should remind a practitioner of the Dharma of the Buddha's teaching, the first rule of which is to do no harm, and that includes harm to oneself. Secondly, this could set a precedent for more self-immolations on such hallowed grounds which is tantamount to desecrating a holy place. Boudanath is known to be the centre of Buddhism - a place where Dharma triumphs, not the opposite.

As for inferring the Nepali authorities to be mere stooges of the Chinese does nothing for relations between Nepalese and Tibetans and it is really high time for Tibetan authorities to stop alleging that anyone who does not perform according to their will, is on China's side. I am quite certain that there is no value to be had by Nepal by being drawn into the fray. Not only is the Tibetan cause losing support with western friends, the Tibetan government in  exile seems determined to isolate themselves from their own neighbors as well.

So now instead of being a source of Tibetan Buddhism culture, the Tibetans seems to be exporting a culture of suicide. How does this help at all? The CTA has left it all to late to take steps to curb self immolations and any steps taken now would seem insincere. Both the Dalai Lama's office and the CTA should issue very strong statements instructions Tibetan monks and lay people to cease this foolish act if they have any hope of engaging the new Chinese leadership. As stated elsewhere in this forum, the CTA needs to create positive reasons for the new Chinese leader to drawn into a productive dialogue and more self immolations can only have the opposite effect.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 04:12:17 AM »
This may sound harsh but acts such as this one, no matter now noble in intention, is actually quite damaging to both Buddhism and the Tibetan cause. To me, not only was it a complete waste of a good life but it was a mistake to commit such anti-Dharmic acts in a holy place. If anything, Bodanath should remind a practitioner of the Dharma of the Buddha's teaching, the first rule of which is to do no harm, and that includes harm to oneself. Secondly, this could set a precedent for more self-immolations on such hallowed grounds which is tantamount to desecrating a holy place. Boudanath is known to be the centre of Buddhism - a place where Dharma triumphs, not the opposite.

As for inferring the Nepali authorities to be mere stooges of the Chinese does nothing for relations between Nepalese and Tibetans and it is really high time for Tibetan authorities to stop alleging that anyone who does not perform according to their will, is on China's side. I am quite certain that there is no value to be had by Nepal by being drawn into the fray. Not only is the Tibetan cause losing support with western friends, the Tibetan government in  exile seems determined to isolate themselves from their own neighbors as well.

So now instead of being a source of Tibetan Buddhism culture, the Tibetans seems to be exporting a culture of suicide. How does this help at all? The CTA has left it all to late to take steps to curb self immolations and any steps taken now would seem insincere. Both the Dalai Lama's office and the CTA should issue very strong statements instructions Tibetan monks and lay people to cease this foolish act if they have any hope of engaging the new Chinese leadership. As stated elsewhere in this forum, the CTA needs to create positive reasons for the new Chinese leader to drawn into a productive dialogue and more self immolations can only have the opposite effect.

You got it spot on! the acts of self immolators does not help anyone at all in any way, shape or form and in fact, it is going against Buddhism as a whole as well as against the Tibet cause because everyone knows already that the CTA is behind it, i mean, the signs are just so clear that they are behind the whole self immolation thing. the US is just turning a blind eye on that as well as their discrimination against Dorje Shugden practitioners and their fake democracy because they want to use CTA as a means to bring discord to China. Now, as of now, many people are questioning why is it that only young people are self immolating? If lobsang sanggay says it does not hurt anyone, why is he not immolating himself, if he is that dedicated to the freedom of Tibet? Buddhists around the world are disgusted with his comments that it does not hurt anyone, as it obviously hurts people.

Dulzie Bear

• Like the moon appearing from behind a cloud...
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Druptse recently escaped from Tibet and arrived in Nepal in January this year. He was staying at the Tibetan Reception Centre in Kathmandu since his arrival according to Dharamshala based Tibetan news portal Tibet Express.

He had earlier told his friends and relatives that he had not been able to do anything for the Tibetan cause in the past but promised to do something constructive for the Tibetan people in the future,” Tibet Express cited sources in Tibet as saying.

I find the statements above quite disconcerting. What I am hearing is that a young monk escaped from Tibet supposedly to tase freedom and upon finding it, decides to self immolate weeks later. That doesn't make much sense to me and my concern is that, whether directly or by cunning propaganda, there are forces that seem to be applying pressure on Tibetans to do something drastic to aid the Tibetan cause. If Druptse had wanted to do something constructive for the Tibetan cause, he should have stayed alive and help to preserve the Tibetan culture and the Tibetan Buddhist tradition.

Frankly it was a mistake for the Tibetan government in exile to have erected a statue of the first self-immolator because by that they glorified a sin and a waste of life. It would seem to be that Tibetan youth who do not take drastic measures are by inference, not doing anything constructive for Tibet. And yet, there is no news from the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:58:45 AM »

He had earlier told his friends and relatives that he had not been able to do anything for the Tibetan cause in the past but promised to do something constructive for the Tibetan people in the future,” Tibet Express cited sources in Tibet as saying.

I find the statements above quite disconcerting. What I am hearing is that a young monk escaped from Tibet supposedly to tase freedom and upon finding it, decides to self immolate weeks later. That doesn't make much sense to me and my concern is that, whether directly or by cunning propaganda, there are forces that seem to be applying pressure on Tibetans to do something drastic to aid the Tibetan cause. If Druptse had wanted to do something constructive for the Tibetan cause, he should have stayed alive and help to preserve the Tibetan culture and the Tibetan Buddhist tradition.

Frankly it was a mistake for the Tibetan government in exile to have erected a statue of the first self-immolator because by that they glorified a sin and a waste of life. It would seem to be that Tibetan youth who do not take drastic measures are by inference, not doing anything constructive for Tibet. And yet, there is no news from the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government.

Does it not sound strange? A monk escaping Tibet to find  more freedom only to self immolate himself. And he is young at 27 of age. So there's no way that someone like him would self immolate. There are so many other ways to do something for Tibet and the Dalai Lama, and that is by studying to become a qualified teacher and reach out to many people and touching their lives with the Dharma. But why self immolation? Self immolation is only encouraged by the CTA because they think it raises their awareness in the world when all it does is making people disgusted at the self immolations. A more constructive action such as lifting the Dorje Shugden ban would benefit more people.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
The more i hear about self-immolations the more i think about the jihadist suicide bombers. The jihadists think that they are getting themselves a ticket to heaven by their suicide missions. This misguided view that they will become martyrs and have a free entrance to heaven is probably the same motivation for the self-immolators. According to Buddhism, suicide will result in being born in the three lower realms, so it is sad that these self-immolators are being misled that what they are doing is for a good cause. Someone should stand up and say enough is enough. That someone should be the CTA but of course they are not going to since the self-immolators are giving publicity to the Tibetan cause. Let's see how many lives are wasted and lost before the CTA does something.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
Someone should stand up and say enough is enough. That someone should be the CTA but of course they are not going to since the self-immolators are giving publicity to the Tibetan cause. Let's see how many lives are wasted and lost before the CTA does something.

The CTA is getting publicity alright but not the sort they should want to have. Just looking at the comments on this post and elsewhere on international news sites, the question being asked is not why China is unmoved by the self immolations, but why isn't the Dalai Lama and the exiled people's government not doing anything to stop further waste of lives?

The Sikyong Dr Lobsang Sangay surely cannot be of the opinion that the CTA's soporific response to the unnecessary loss of over a hundred Tibetan lives is doing anything positive for the Tubetan cause? This is madness and beyond sheer negligence on the CTA's part. So much was said about the Tibetan culture and how Tibetans have had to suffer under the Chinese but clearly, there is not much more suffering beyond burning oneself to death and for nothing other than taking rebirth in the lower realms. If any action is being taken to stop this madness, it is by the Chinese, albeit to serve their own purpose, whilst the CTA watches on. Accordingly I strongly feel that the culpability for these suicides rests on the CTA for failing to restore hope in their people but instead seek to gain bad publicity at the cost of its own people's lives.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
The more i hear about self-immolations the more i think about the jihadist suicide bombers. The jihadists think that they are getting themselves a ticket to heaven by their suicide missions. This misguided view that they will become martyrs and have a free entrance to heaven is probably the same motivation for the self-immolators. According to Buddhism, suicide will result in being born in the three lower realms, so it is sad that these self-immolators are being misled that what they are doing is for a good cause. Someone should stand up and say enough is enough. That someone should be the CTA but of course they are not going to since the self-immolators are giving publicity to the Tibetan cause. Let's see how many lives are wasted and lost before the CTA does something.

There are the more progressive people in CTA such as some poets and such speaking out against self immolation, including both Karmapas, but obviously their cries fall on deaf ears. And look at what CTA is doing for people who immolated themselves:

Dharamshala observes global prayer service for Tibetan self-immolators
Phayul[Wednesday, February 20, 2013 23:50]

Special prayer service for Tibetan self-immolators organised by the Central Tibetan Administration at the Tsug-la Khang in Dharamshala, India on February 20, 2013.

DHARAMSHALA, February 20: The exile Tibetan administration today held a two-hour prayer service at the Tsug-la Khang, the main temple in Dharamshala as part of a worldwide prayer service, the first since the toll of Tibet self-immolations crossed the tragic milestone of 100 earlier this month.

The Central Tibetan Administration earlier urged Tibetans all over the world to organise special prayer services on February 20 to “express solidarity with all those Tibetans who have self-immolated and those suffering torture and imprisonment.”

In the exile headquarters of Dharamshala, the special prayer service was presided over by Thomthog Rinpoche, the Abbot of Namgyal Monastery.

Thousands of Tibetans and supporters, including the Tibetan Chief Justice Commissioners, Speaker Penpa Tsering, Kalons, and Tibetan MPs attended the service.

Special prayers were also offered for the recent Tibetan self-immolators Lobsang Namgyal, 37; Drugpa Khar, 26; Druptse, 25; Namlha Tsering, 47; Rinchen, 17 and Sonam Dhargey, 18.

Lobsang Namgyal, a monk at the Kirti Monastery in Ngaba, eastern Tibet became the 100th Tibetan living under China’s rule to self-immolate when he set himself ablaze near the local police building in Zoege on February 3. He passed away at the scene of his protest.

According to eyewitnesses, Lobsang Namgyal, engulfed in flames, shouted slogans for the long life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

On February 13, exactly 100 years since His Holiness the 13th Dalai Lama declared the Tibetan Proclamation of Independence, two Tibetans, on either side of the Himalayas, torched themselves.

Drugpa Khar, a father of three set himself on fire in Amchok region of eastern Tibet and Druptse, a monk set himself ablaze near the holy stupa of Boudhanath in the heart of Nepalese capital city Kathmandu. Both of them succumbed to their injuries.

Namlha Tsering, a father of four, passed away in his fiery protest on a busy street outside a cinema hall on February 17 in Labrang region of eastern Tibet.

The two Tibetan teenagers, Rinchen and Sonam Dhargey, set themselves on fire in Kyangtsa region of Zoege, eastern Tibet on February 19. Both of them succumbed to their injuries.

Addressing the prayer service, Kalon Dolma Gyari of the Department of Home, described the self-immolations as "most tragic” and urged the international community to press China to allow independent fact-finding missions and international media to visit Tibet.

"Instead of owning up to the crisis inside Tibet, the Chinese government is baselessly pointing fingers at His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Central Tibetan Administration for instigating the protests,” Kalon Gyari said.

“We maintain utmost transparency in our work and invite the Chinese government to prove its allegations.”

The Kashag (cabinet) earlier noted that despite its repeated appeals not to resort to drastic actions, since 2009, over 104 Tibetans have set themselves on fire protesting China’s continued occupation and repression and demanding freedom and the return of His Holiness the Dalai Lama from exile.

It's pretty obvious that this prayer session has another hidden meaning: Burn yourselves and be a hero for us all!

dsiluvu

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »

“He had earlier told his friends and relatives that he had not been able to do anything for the Tibetan cause in the past but promised to do something constructive for the Tibetan people in the future,” Tibet Express cited sources in Tibet as saying.

Druptse had reportedly wrapped his body with a metal wire and doused his body with gasoline before setting himself ablaze in the morning of February 13 near the holy Boudhanath stupa in the heart of the city.

He passed away at around 10:30 pm (local time) same day after suffering 96 per cent burns.

Druptse is survived by his mother Tselha and father Sangnag Tenzin, who is a reincarnated lama.
    Nepalese police have since increased restrictions in Tibetan areas in the city.

Further aggravating the situation, banners under the name of “Locals and Youth of Boudha” have appeared near the protest site, warning that such acts will “make life even harder” for Tibetans.

Calling the self-immolation a “hideous and sinful” act motivated by “dirty politics,” the banner announces: “No more Free Tibet in our holy land.”

“The soul of the victim will rot in hell … You want blood, we give you war,” further reads the banner.

I cannot believe that this young monk only age 25 has wasted his precious human life in the name of poilitcs... it is not even in the name of Buddha Dharma! How can setting yourself up on fire be something "constructive for the Tibetan people in the future” ??? Isn't it more constructive to follow the Dharma and practice to gain attainments and spreading love and Dharma to the world better??? Oh my Buddha how everything has turned upside down... signs of degeneration? Buddha did warn us it was going to be this way... Frightening.

Really what is wrong with these Tibetans??? First they teach us to love everyone and have equanimity. Then the discriminate their own Dharma brothers and sisters, they fight for status, fame and land. They kick out their own kind and say their Gurus are wrong. They burn properties, and send death threats to their Gurus and Lamas. The refuse to even allow children of a different faith to school and medicines for the sick??? Oh my Buddha... is Tibet really going backwards??? All the signs seems to show it.  If all the monks start setting themselves up in to flames soon there will no longer be monks even.

Sure sounds like some of The sixteen dreams of King Pasenadi Kosol and their Interpretations by the Buddha...

Some men replaced the strong adult bulls who were pulling the first carts In a caravan with weak young calves. Since the young ones were too weak to haul the load they refused to pull the carts. So, the caravan was unmoving.

Dear King, this dream says that future rulers overlook intellectuals and give higher positions like minister- ships, diplomatic positions and appointments to courts, to  ill-bred, ignorant people and make a mess of their governing. Intellectuals, when called finally for help, would refuse assistance and the government would fall to ruins.

Dried gourds which usually float on water sank in the water.

During the days of unjust rulers in the distant future, the low-born would become nobles because the rulers would prefer them over real nobility. Those low born nobility would be highly recognized and firmly placed in the government, and the real nobility would sink low like dried gourds with poverty. Even among the monks’ community this would happen as only the advice of the corrupted monks will be heeded ignoring the guidance of the wise.

Huge rock boulders floated in the water like dried gourds

In the future, the learned words of nobles would be laughed at and ignored. Those words won’t get to the bottom of the man’s heart. In the monk’s community too this happens as people tend to respect popular corrupted monks turning their backs on the intellectuals. The words of wisdom would drift away like the rock boulders in the dream.