Author Topic: Dalai Lama on Knowledge, Poisons and an unlikely Father Figure  (Read 5184 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
This is an interview with the Dalai Lama where again, the Dalai Lama steers away from condemning self-immolations. He just rather "stay quiet" I wonder why people keep allowing him to get away with it??! Could he have "stayed quiet" over Dorje Shugden? I think the Dorje Shugden issue is also "a very delicate issue, with sensitive political ramifications." Yet, the Dalai Lama and CTA had no compunction in being very vocal about it, with violent results!

He also says, "right now, there is too much anger, too much hatred, things are bad." but he does not say that those who are angry should reduce their anger and hatred?

"I doubt these acts can make a difference." sounds like an admission of the futility of the self-immolations, which makes his lack of condemnation inexplicable.

I quote from one of my favourite poets, Wilfred Owen:
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest, 
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

DALAI LAMA ON KNOWLEDGE, POISONS AND AN UNLIKELY FATHER FIGURE

By Frédéric Koller
LE TEMPS/Worldcrunch

DHARAMSALA – The great monastery of Dharamshala is a rough and charmless place, a raw concrete structure swept by the damp Himalayan winds that blow though the region in winter.

The contrast with the monasteries in Tibet is striking: On the "roof of the world," in the Tibetan plateau, religion is everywhere, in the multitude of niched statues in palaces with golden roofs.

But there is another difference between Dharamsala and Tibet. In the temples of Tibet, inside the borders of the People's Republic of China, fear reigns; Here instead, in eastern India where the Tibetan leaders-in-exile are based, freedom is all around.

And so too is Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama. After waking this morning at 4:00 am, the 77-year-old Buddhist leader spent his early hours in meditation, before welcoming Le Temps for an extensive interview.
Responding to questions about Tibetan protesters, new Chinese leader Xi Jinping and growing old, the Dalai Lama spoke with simplicity and directness.

LE TEMPS: More than 100 Tibetans have immolated themselves since 2009, and to this day, you have neither supported nor condemned these acts. How can Tibet’s spiritual leader remain neutral when faced with such insurrection against the Chinese occupation?
DALAI LAMA: This is a very delicate issue, with sensitive political ramifications. At the time of the first self-immolation, I voiced my sadness. Since then I have reflected on their actual cause and consequence -- and I decided not to encourage such acts. My position remains the same. These people have consciously decided to commit suicide. They are not drunk. They have no family problems. Yet they decide to sacrifice their lives. In Tibet, there are really desperate situations. These people chose to take their life rather than endure prolonged suffering... So I stay quiet.

Aren’t sacrifices in contradiction with the teachings of the Buddha, who preaches compassion, even for your enemies?
Everything depends on personal motivations. There is no general rule. During the Vietnam War for example, several monks set themselves on fire. According to Buddhist principles, if this was done in accordance with dharma and the well-being of people, then it can be considered virtuous. But right now, there is too much anger, too much hatred, things are bad. We must judge on a case-by-case basis.

The self-immolation of a single Tunisian changed the fate of the whole Arab world. Over 100 Tibetans have done so, to no avail… What do you make of it?
I doubt these acts can make a difference. Take another recent example: Syria, where more than 70,000 people have died, including many innocent women and children. This has the whole world worrying. But because of tensions between Russia and China, the United Nations’ hands are tied. It’s political. The same goes for Tibet -- China is very powerful now, that’s the problem.

You've known Chinese Communist leaders well. You met Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai and Xi Zhongxun, the father of the Chinese Communist Party’s current Secretary General Xi Jinping.
I met him in 1954 or 1955. He was a friendly, capable man. At that time he was considered a liberal.

You offered him a watch...
Yes. In 1979, when he was governor of Guangdong province, he welcomed a fact-finding delegation of mine and showed them the watch, telling them it was a gift from the Dalai Lama… [Laughs]

Was he carrying a message?
No. But he said he hoped to see me again before he died.

He died in 2002. Maybe his son, who is now at the helm of China...?
I don’t know. In 1979 and in the early 1980s, the beginning of the Deng Xiaoping era was a time of genuine open-mindedness. In 1980, Hu Yaobang – then General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party - visited Lhasa and publicly apologized for China’s past mistakes. It was then that the democratic movement began in China, around 1986. Then Hu Yaobang was dismissed. Zhao Ziyang replaced him, but he was weak. Li Peng, a radical, took over. Then there was the Tiananmen Square massacre, and China adopted a much harder political stance, including with regard to Tibet and the Xinjiang province.

More and more Chinese people come to see you…
I meet with Chinese people every week. Today, 15 of them came especially from China. Sometimes I give speeches to hundreds of Chinese at once. Last year, there was a meeting with more than 1,000 Chinese people. Three years ago, according to a study by a Chinese university, there were 300 million Buddhists in China.

What do you tell the young Chinese who ask for an audience with you?
I always tell them: Buddhism is not only about believing or praying – it is also about training your mind. Knowledge is essential. I tell them: all the books you need have been translated, so study! Praying, making money offerings and burning incense is not enough. You need knowledge.

Last year, your parliamentary secretariat revealed that a Chinese spy had tried to poison you.
We received intelligence that the Chinese secret services had hired a woman and instructed her to put poison in her hair or in a scarf. When you come in contact with this poison, it has no immediate effect. But you die two months later. Meanwhile, we received information from the Tibetan monastery of Kalinbo: a European woman had asked for an audience with the head monk, who is a follower of my teachings, and presented him with momos [Tibetan dumplings]. As he didn’t know her, he was a bit suspicious. He gave the momos to two dogs. Exactly two months later, the dogs died. In the autonomous region of Tibet, the saying goes among Chinese officials that if you want to get rid of a snake, you have to cut off its head.

Almost two years ago, you relinquished all temporal power. How do you look back on your time as head of state?
Around 1947-1948, even before I took temporal responsabilities, I already had the feeling that Tibet was being ruled backwards – mainly because power was concentrated in the hands of a few. In 1951, I officially became ruler of Tibet; in 1952, I set up a reform bureau. The Chinese were already around at that time, and they were not happy -- but it felt more relevant for us Tibetans to carry out our own reforms. Still, it was not a success. In 1954, I went to China. I came back in 1955 after spending a couple of months in Beijing, where I met with Chairman Mao several times.  He was a wonderful man.

Wonderful, How so? Open-minded?
Always open-minded!

Did you two talk of democratization?
Democratization, no, not really. [Laughs] But of development, revolution, that sort of things… I was like a son to him. And he in turn became like a father to me.

Really!?
Really. And I think he really trusted me. The last time we met, he told me: "Oh, you have a very scientific way of thinking. But know that religion is poison." He’d never have said that if he didn’t trust me. I’m a religious leader, I’m the Dalai Lama. To tell me that religion is poison… [Laughs]

But I understood that Chairman Mao had no real knowledge about Buddhism. A true Buddhist must practice. If you turn a blind eye to that, you only see monasteries, prayers, money: that’s exploitation. Chairman Mao was resolutely opposed to exploitation. At that time, I had full confidence in him, and he made many promises. I really thought that with the help of Chinese communists, the reforms I had proposed would be implemented, and that Tibet would be able to thrive.

But in 1956 armed conflict broke out in eastern Tibet. In 1958, things got from bad to worse. Eventually, in March 1959, when all hope was gone, I decided to leave Tibet. Then in 1960, refugees from all Tibet gathered, and together we started working towards democratizing our government.

In 2011, I decided that the time had come for me to retire completely. On that night, I slept particularly well, which is unusual. No dreams. I was freed from all these responsibilities.

It was the right thing to do.
Before that, whenever I had a long flight ahead of me, I would ask myself: what if something happened to me, what if I died, what would become of our organization? Now I am at peace. I know that if something happens to me, people have been elected to take care of everything. I can still contribute modestly, here and there. But right now, as a member of a community of seven billion people, my main interest is to promote human values. There is no difference between religions, between believers and non-believers, between the Eastern and Western world, between Africans and Asians. We are all the same human beings – mentally, emotionally and physically. You want to live a happy life, I want to live a happy life. My time and energy are entirely devoted to the quest of happiness and religious harmony.

Tibetans in Dharamsala say that you will live to be 113. Does being the reincarnation of Avalokiteshvara enable you to predict the day you will die?
According to my dreams and to predictions made by Tibetan monks 200 years ago, the 14th Dalai Lama could indeed live to be 113.

Meaning 2048…
[He checks with his assistants] Ah…

Original article from http://www.letemps.ch/ (Needs subscription)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama on Knowledge, Poisons and an unlikely Father Figure
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:52 AM »
This is interesting. The Dalai Lama claims that he has resigned his role as secular leader of the Tibetans, but in reality he still has a huge influence over the Tibetans and over the government even. HHDL claims to have resigned from all roles but the ban he put against Dorje Shugden is still upheld, and the CTA still has the anti Dorje Shugden material on their website. So how is it again that the Dalai Lama has resigned from secular activities? I mean, spiritual and secular policies should have a very clear distinction. What is interesting is that "monks from 200 years ago has predicted that the 14th Dalai Lama will live until 113" -- does this mean that the Dalai Lama has been lying that Dorje Shugden will shorten his life? If he did, why did he want to lie? That little lie has caused the Tibetans to hate Dorje Shugden...

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
Of course there is no separation of church and state. I do not expect it - after all, the Dalai Lama is so firmly entrenched as the final authority in everything to do with Tibet - spiritual or secular. Even though he has ostentatiously resigned from his position as the political head of the Tibetan government in exile, now known as the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), he is still seen by Tibetans to have the final say. I do not see any change in this until after the Dalai Lama's passing.

i actually think that HH the Dalai Lama fully realises the contradiction in the ban on Dorje Shugden, which is why he says that we should not have blind faith in even what HE says. This matches the "bigger picture" hypothesis which this website champions - that the Dalai Lama is working WITH Dorje Shugden to spread Dorje Shugden to the world. As Ensapa said, Dorje Shugden practice has not shortened the Dalai Lama's life. Even if he does not live until 113, he is now a perfectly respectable age of 77. The other accusation levelled at Dorje Shugden is that his practice is an obstacle to Tibet's independence. As we all know, the Dalai Lama has not been seeking independence from China for decades. He has been asking for autonomy from China, which is a huge different ballgame from independence.

I just wish more people would realise this also and heal the painful rift between families and sangha which arose because of the Dorje Shugden ban.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »
Of course there is no separation of church and state. I do not expect it - after all, the Dalai Lama is so firmly entrenched as the final authority in everything to do with Tibet - spiritual or secular. Even though he has ostentatiously resigned from his position as the political head of the Tibetan government in exile, now known as the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), he is still seen by Tibetans to have the final say. I do not see any change in this until after the Dalai Lama's passing.

i actually think that HH the Dalai Lama fully realises the contradiction in the ban on Dorje Shugden, which is why he says that we should not have blind faith in even what HE says. This matches the "bigger picture" hypothesis which this website champions - that the Dalai Lama is working WITH Dorje Shugden to spread Dorje Shugden to the world. As Ensapa said, Dorje Shugden practice has not shortened the Dalai Lama's life. Even if he does not live until 113, he is now a perfectly respectable age of 77. The other accusation levelled at Dorje Shugden is that his practice is an obstacle to Tibet's independence. As we all know, the Dalai Lama has not been seeking independence from China for decades. He has been asking for autonomy from China, which is a huge different ballgame from independence.

I just wish more people would realise this also and heal the painful rift between families and sangha which arose because of the Dorje Shugden ban.

I dont know if you have noticed, but the Dalai Lama sometimes inserts scenarios or facts that are quite hard to believe and quite hard to logically accept. Perhaps this is a test for his followers? I read the article again and I read something strange and disturbing related with the threat of someone trying to kill the Dalai Lama by putting poison in her hair and in her khata:

Last year, your parliamentary secretariat revealed that a Chinese spy had tried to poison you.
We received intelligence that the Chinese secret services had hired a woman and instructed her to put poison in her hair or in a scarf. When you come in contact with this poison, it has no immediate effect. But you die two months later. Meanwhile, we received information from the Tibetan monastery of Kalinbo: a European woman had asked for an audience with the head monk, who is a follower of my teachings, and presented him with momos [Tibetan dumplings]. As he didn’t know her, he was a bit suspicious. He gave the momos to two dogs. Exactly two months later, the dogs died. In the autonomous region of Tibet, the saying goes among Chinese officials that if you want to get rid of a snake, you have to cut off its head.

okay....so...and we're supposed to believe a story like that? no names of the poison...and in that 2 months it could be other things that could have killed the dogs and not necessarily the momos. The story lacks substance....how did the dogs actually die? were there any symptoms? My mouth is now gaping wide that HHDL expects us to believe something like this. Because I cant. In a respectful way, to just swallow this story whole is very insulting to my intelligence.

lotus1

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
“…… But right now, as a member of a community of seven billion people, my main interest is to promote human values. There is no difference between religions, between believers and non-believers, between the Eastern and Western world, between Africans and Asians. We are all the same human beings – mentally, emotionally and physically. You want to live a happy life, I want to live a happy life. My time and energy are entirely devoted to the quest of happiness and religious harmony……”

It is very contradicting. On one hand HHDL is saying that he is spending his time and to promote human values, that there is no difference between religions, between believers and non-believers, but how come the Dorje Shugden practitioners are being cut off from the Tibetan communities and not permitted to attend the Dalai Lama’s teachings? Besides, public notices were posted up which disallowed Shugden practitioners access to public places such as shops, hospitals and clinics. All civil rights and welfare of Dorje Shugden practitioners were revoked. Monks were expelled from their monasteries if they did not renounce the practice. So, is HHDL going to change this situation? I would really hope to see it happens ASAP!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:58:00 AM »
“…… But right now, as a member of a community of seven billion people, my main interest is to promote human values. There is no difference between religions, between believers and non-believers, between the Eastern and Western world, between Africans and Asians. We are all the same human beings – mentally, emotionally and physically. You want to live a happy life, I want to live a happy life. My time and energy are entirely devoted to the quest of happiness and religious harmony……”

It is very contradicting. On one hand HHDL is saying that he is spending his time and to promote human values, that there is no difference between religions, between believers and non-believers, but how come the Dorje Shugden practitioners are being cut off from the Tibetan communities and not permitted to attend the Dalai Lama’s teachings? Besides, public notices were posted up which disallowed Shugden practitioners access to public places such as shops, hospitals and clinics. All civil rights and welfare of Dorje Shugden practitioners were revoked. Monks were expelled from their monasteries if they did not renounce the practice. So, is HHDL going to change this situation? I would really hope to see it happens ASAP!

yeah you're right. It feels and sounds very funny that HHDL is promoting equality, democracy and happiness on one hand and on the other he allows his students and followers to be unkind to Dorje Shugden followers? Is it really important that Dorje Shugden practitioners are exposed and have their names on hitlists? Or to have shops and facilities bar them from accessing? how does that actually help with making people happy? In any case, the ban against Dorje Shugden will keep generating the karma for CTA to never get Tibet back for their own and it will stay that way until CTA decides to stand up against the Dalai Lama's spiritual edict which should never have been combined with secular laws.