Author Topic: A Tribute to H.E. Zemey Rinpoche  (Read 6519 times)

DharmaDefender

A Tribute to H.E. Zemey Rinpoche
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
DorjeShugden.com's latest tribute has just been released! I dont know about you lot but reading about Zemey Rinpoche and the trials and tribulations of his later years as a result of his notes being taken out of context really moved me. Im not sure I would be able to respond in the same way as him, had I faced a similar situation...imagine continuing to prostrate for hours on the peripheral of the Dalai Lamas teachings, AND giving up your student to become his translator AFTER the Dalai Lama has ostracised you for whatever his reasons were. Incredible!!

From: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/great-masters/tributes/a-tribute-to-h-e-zemey-rinpoche/

A Tribute to H.E. Zemey Rinpoche

In the history of the Gelugpa lineage, no one doubts that Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche is one of the most attained and knowledgeable masters and yet Trijang Rinpoche himself stated that there is another who was his equal in all aspects of attainments. That person is none other than one of Trijang Rinpoche’s own student, the erudite Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche.

For more information about this great master, check out these links:

Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche – a biography
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/videos/lamas-teachings/kyabje-zemey-rinpoche/

Zemey Rinpoche’s incarnation receives DS initiation
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/news/zemey-rinpoches-incarnation-receives-ds-initiation-2/

Zemey Rinpoche’s ladrang and stupa
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/zemey-rinpoches-stupa-and-ladrang/

All of us at DorjeShugden.com make this virtual offering of a butterlamp to the incomparable master, His Eminence Zemey Rinpoche, requesting him to remain for another 1,000 years to continue turning the wheel of Dharma and benefiting countless beings.

The Incomparable Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche

There is hardly anyone within the Tibetan Buddhist world who is not familiar with H.H. Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche (1900–1981) – not only one of the most erudite scholars of the century but also the junior tutor and spiritual guide to H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama. So accomplished was Trijang Rinpoche that his name is synonymous with the highest attainments in Vajrayana Buddhism and indeed, few masters can compare to him.

Yet Trijang Rinpoche himself has highlighted one particular lama who he considered as equal to him in knowledge and attainments, and who held all the same lineages, transmissions and practices as Trijang Rinpoche. That person is none other than one of Trijang Rinpoche’s two closest heart disciples, H.E. Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche (the other being the illustrious H.H. Kyabje Zong Rinpoche). Given how highly revered and attained Trijang Rinpoche is, this endorsement of Zemey Rinpoche carries especially tremendous weight.

Zemey Rinpoche is the incarnation of a very renowned and high-ranking line of tulkus from Yangding, Kham in Tibet. His accomplishments drew the devotion of many disciples throughout Ganden Monastery and also the attention from the top echelons of the spiritual and political hierarchy of Tibet, including H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama. Zemey Rinpoche was one out of hundreds of tulkus and thousands of monks selected to accompany the Dalai Lama on his visit to China in the 1950s to meet with Mao Zedong and Zhou En Lai.

This visit to China by the Dalai Lama was an extremely important one. It was conducted at a perilous time when China’s subtle but definite incursion into Tibet meant that the Dalai Lama needed the highest caliber and most trusted of Tibetans to assist and provide advice to him. The other illustrious figures within the Dalai Lama’s entourage during this trip were his two tutors, Ling Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche, the Panchen Lama and the Dalai Lama’s mother. From this time onwards and throughout the 1950s, Zemey Rinpoche developed an increasingly close relationship with the Dalai Lama.

H.H. Ganden Trisur Rinpoche, Zemey Rinpoche and Geshe Tendar

The Dalai Lama’s trust in Zemey Rinpoche was again evidenced when he was asked to be a part of the group that accompanied the Dalai Lama in His Holiness’s escape from Tibet. Once out of danger, Zemey Rinpoche was quick to preserve the Ganden lineage and was a key figure in the re-establishment of the great institution of Ganden Shartse Monastery in South India. Zemey Rinpoche was also personally involved in the setting up of the teaching syllabus of the Buddhist monastic university and wrote extensively on various subject matters.

Being a highly respected lineage holder of the Gelugpas, Zemey Rinpoche was also a highly accomplished practitioner of Dorje Shugden. In fact, it was Zemey Rinpoche who wrote the now infamous Yellow Book, a manuscript of teachings from Trijang Rinpoche that tells of how Dorje Shugden preserves the purity of the Dharma according to the Gelug tradition. This book was in fact a compilation of notes that Zemey Rinpoche had made whilst receiving teachings from Kyabje Trijang Dorjechang.

The young incarnation of Zemey Rinpoche

Taken out of context, the Yellow Book came to be seen as highly controversial and was viewed by some as promoting sectarianism within Tibetan Buddhism. Others, however, see the book as being complicit with the Dalai Lama’s secret and ultimate purpose of spreading Dorje Shugden’s practice to a world that badly needs it now. By creating a great controversy, Zemey Rinpoche (and the Dalai Lama) effectively brought Dorje Shugden to a much wider, bigger audience throughout the world. He is, after all, the most talked about Buddhist deity today.

However, because Zemey Rinpoche provoked the ire of the Dalai Lama with the Yellow Book, he was quickly accused of being sectarian and was soon ousted from the Dalai Lama’s close circle. Zemey Rinpoche was no longer allowed to participate in any of the Dalai Lama’s teachings and activities. Nevertheless, Zemey Rinpoche displayed his inherent nature as a true Dharma master by always being present at the periphery (not being allowed to pass through the Dalai Lama’s guards) whenever the Dalai Lama was in the monastery giving teachings. As many hours as the Dalai Lama was present, Zemey Rinpoche would perform prostrations outside the building to ask the Dalai Lama for forgiveness. Such was the humility and high realizations of Zemey Rinpoche, one of the greatest Gelugpa lamas to have lived.

The entourage that accompanied the Dalai Lama to Beijing. Zemey Rinpoche is standing in the third row from the front, in red

Though the last years of his life were spent ostracized by the Tibetan community and in isolated retreat, Zemey Rinpoche’s impact on the Ganden tradition cannot be forgotten. Many of the greatest, influential practitioners of the world today were his students, including high lamas like H.E. Dagom Rinpoche and even the Dalai Lama’s translator, Thubten Jinpa.

Continuing his legacy in the world today, Zemey Rinpoche has returned among us. His unmistaken incarnation has been recognised by high lamas across Tibet, Nepal and India. We wish that Zemey Rinpoche will always remain with us, live for thousands of years across countless lifetimes and never stop turning the wheel of Dharma.

Ensapa

• Email
Re: A Tribute to H.E. Zemey Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:41:21 AM »
Thanks for the tribute, and it really makes me appreciate Zemey Rinpoche a lot more. The sad part of this tribute is how he was snubbed by the Dalai Lama and his  clique just because of the yellow book, he became the enemy of the state and of his monastery but yet he continue to persist on which shows his mental stability as I dont know how many people would be able to bear such discriminations and unfair treatment. But neverhenless, he has returned to teach the Dharma and to serve sentient beings with no discriminations. I hope that Zemey Choktrul Rinpoche will be very beneficial to the people and will no longer be subjected to unfair treatment

christine V

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:19:23 AM »
Dear DharmaDefender

Thanks for the Tribute. I truly appreciate this story.
H.E Zemey Rinpoche's previous reincarnate story was the role model of true Guru Disciple relationship. No matter how much suffer that H.E Zemey had, H.E still remain strong Guru Devotion. To me, as what have DharmaDefender said, I am too not sure I will be this devoted. H.E Zemey is truly amazing. Not only H.E knowledge on Dharma, H.E's contributions towards Dharma, but too the ACTION in the showing the Dharma. May I remember this story and practice strong Guru-disciple relationship.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
Thank you Dorjeshugden.com for sharing this wonderful story that reveals the amazing qualities of Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche. I couldn't help but shed a tear or two. He is truly a great master and no airs about him. He has absorbed the negative karma of future Dorje Shugden practitioners by taking it upon himself when he was treated in this manner. He has suffered a lot under the watchful hands of the Dalai Lama. His yellow book became the catalyst for the Dorje Shugden ban and has pushed the practice all over the world and to places like China where any form of religious practice would have been outlawed.

I take refuge in such a lineage lama, in such selfless sacrifice that has spread the lineage far and wide. I am sure this current incarnation would do much more. He is a brand new generation of Tibetan lamas that would take on the world and would be working with Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche in this lifetime and perhaps the Panchen Lama in China to spread Dorje Shugden all over China and the world. Lovely namthar of this great lineage Lama and inspiration for all practitioners.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
After reading such a marvelous tribute to H.E. Zemey Rinpoche, it is unbelievable that Shugdenpas are accused of worshiping spirit. Even though he was removed from HHDL's close circle and prevented from attending teachings by His Holiness, Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche remained faithful and devoted. During the teachings where he was prohibited from attending, he did prostrations outside the venue for the entire duration. This is definitely the trait to emulate. And now this highly attained master is back here to continue with the works of his previous lifes. Do take a look at this video of the current Zemey Rinpoche receiving the Dorje Shugden sogtae. http://www.dorjeshugden.com/videos/lamas-teachings/kyabje-zemey-rinpoche/

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »
After reading such a marvelous tribute to H.E. Zemey Rinpoche, it is unbelievable that Shugdenpas are accused of worshiping spirit. Even though he was removed from HHDL's close circle and prevented from attending teachings by His Holiness, Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche remained faithful and devoted. During the teachings where he was prohibited from attending, he did prostrations outside the venue for the entire duration. This is definitely the trait to emulate. And now this highly attained master is back here to continue with the works of his previous lifes. Do take a look at this video of the current Zemey Rinpoche receiving the Dorje Shugden sogtae. http://www.dorjeshugden.com/videos/lamas-teachings/kyabje-zemey-rinpoche/

Wow I was not aware of this. It only shows that Zemey Rimpoche has no ego at all and he did not suffer from not being close to the Dalai Lama, which means that he never had ego or pride or attachment to reputation from the start. To me, it is a demonstration of his attainments and also reaffirms that Trijang Rinpoche said that Zemey Rinpoche's attainments is equal to his. It is very fortunate that the current Zemey Rinpoche has come back and now is receiving sogtae again at a very young age, it is a very good start to his Dharma career. May Zemey Rinpoche continue to teach soon!

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »

It is totally unbelievable that Shugden worshippers want to see harm come to the Dalai Lama, as has been one of the accusations against the practice of Dirje Shugden. Zemey Rinpoche is not the only lama who remained totally loyal to the Dalai Lama despite being treated badly for his belief.

In fact if anyone were to go to Shar Ganden monastery which was established when a few hundred Shugden worshipping monks were expelled from Ganden without ceremony, they would see the picture of the Dalai Lama hung prominently in the prayer halls. In other words, despite being made the "enemy" they continue to venerate the Dalai Lama. All around the world, Shugdenpas conclude their pujas dedicating their merits to His Holiness as pray for his long life.

How ironic that the ones accused of wanting to harm the Dalai Lama are the ones who are practicing true Dharma and nothing can stop them from loving the Dalai Lama. In fact, nothing can stop them from loving the Dharma and all those who stand for the Dharma, such as Dorje Shugden. Reading stories like Zemey Rinpoche's tribute confirms that what this exceptional lama practices is truly the Buddha's teachings. Dorje Shugden is synonymous with Dharma.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
...in fact if anyone were to go to Shar Ganden monastery which was established when a few hundred Shugden worshipping monks were expelled from Ganden without ceremony, they would see the picture of the Dalai Lama hung prominently in the prayer halls. In other words, despite being made the "enemy" they continue to venerate the Dalai Lama. 

The spiritual father of Shar Gaden is Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang, therefore there are no pictures of the Dalai Lama 'hung prominently' as you say. The monastery has pictures of Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang, Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche, and Gaden Trisur Rinpoche hung prominently. Anyone who has seen videos of Shar Gaden can see there are no pictures of the Dalai Lama on display in the prayer halls. Not sure where you get this information.

This does not mean the monastery is 'against' the Dalai Lama. I believe it is more about keeping the focus on the Lamas who remain close to the monastery.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:08:39 AM »
...in fact if anyone were to go to Shar Ganden monastery which was established when a few hundred Shugden worshipping monks were expelled from Ganden without ceremony, they would see the picture of the Dalai Lama hung prominently in the prayer halls. In other words, despite being made the "enemy" they continue to venerate the Dalai Lama. 

The spiritual father of Shar Gaden is Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang, therefore there are no pictures of the Dalai Lama 'hung prominently' as you say. The monastery has pictures of Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang, Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche, and Gaden Trisur Rinpoche hung prominently. Anyone who has seen videos of Shar Gaden can see there are no pictures of the Dalai Lama on display in the prayer halls. Not sure where you get this information.

This does not mean the monastery is 'against' the Dalai Lama. I believe it is more about keeping the focus on the Lamas who remain close to the monastery.

But in doing so, would it be not that the monastery will send the wrong message to people? I am aware of how Tibetans tend to very easily misconstruct and skew information. Not having HHDL's pic in Shar Ganden would only reinforce in the minds of people that Shar Ganden is really against His Holiness but we all know it is not true. But I agree - it could be due to the focus that the monastery has to place:on the Lamas that are going in the same direction as the monastery as it makes sense to stick to those that will go in the same direction as you and not otherwise.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 03:36:40 AM »
Shar Gaden is beyond playing politics just to please people. The monastery focuses on what matters most, the holy Buddha-Dharma.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:06:10 AM »
Shar Gaden is beyond playing politics just to please people. The monastery focuses on what matters most, the holy Buddha-Dharma.

I like that approach to Dharma a lot because it goes in line with Pabongkha Rinpoche's no politics approach as well. However on a practical level it does plant misunderstandings in peoples' minds. Just my 2 cents which isnt that important anyway. But at the same time I am very very happy that Shar Ganden focuses completely on the Buddhadharma as opposed to pleasing sponsors or currying favor from the government. The abbot of Shar Ganden is really doing his job very well to make sure that the monastery focuses entirely on Dharma and not anything else that will distract.