Author Topic: Dalai Lama Leaves for Europe  (Read 9802 times)

icy

Dalai Lama Leaves for Europe
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

DHARAMSHALA, April 8: The Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama today left his exile hometown of Dharamshala for ten-day European tour.

The Tibetan Nobel Laureate is scheduled to give a series of public talks, teachings and discussions.

The Dalai Lama begins his current tour from South Tyrol in Italy, with a public talk in Palatrento on April 11. The five-time president of South Tyrol, Dr Luis Durnwalder, invited the Tibetan leader.

The 77-year-old Tibetan leader will later travel to Switzerland, where he will give teachings on Atisha's Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment (Jangchup Lamdron) and will confer a White Tara Empowerment followed by a public talk on Ethics Beyond Religions at the Forum Fribourg. His Holiness is expected to meet with the speaker of Swiss parliament and Tibetan supporters.

On April 15-16, His Holiness is also scheduled to take part in a science and humanism exchange forum on Living and Dying In Peace at the University of Lausanne and will give a talk on Towards a Sustainable Future at the University of Bern.

In the final leg of the tour, His Holiness will visit to the United Kingdom at the invitation of Richard Moore, the founder of Children in Crossfire, who His Holiness calls 'my hero'. He will meet with kids at the Children in Crossfire and will speak at the Culture of Compassion in association with Bright Brand New Day on 18th April 2013.

The Dalai Lama will give a talk at the Global Scholars Symposium to discuss Non-Violence for Conflict Resolution and another talk at St. John's College of Cambridge University on April 19-20.

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama Leaves for Europe
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:57:51 AM »
More tours? Although the Dalai Lama works tirelessly, its not exactly good to push His Holiness to fly everywhere to give teachings, his private office should know better. Even the previous pope and the pope before him did not work as hard as the Dalai Lama does. As much as I rejoice for the people who is receiving his teachings, CTA must really look after HHDL as he is aging and he cannot travel as much as he used to be able to travel. In any case, HHDL's tenacity in carrying out Dharma work and having to fly everywhere despite his age (young people can barely bear a 10 hour flight due to the jet lag and whatnot) is something to be reckoned with.

Q

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »
More tours? Although the Dalai Lama works tirelessly, its not exactly good to push His Holiness to fly everywhere to give teachings, his private office should know better. Even the previous pope and the pope before him did not work as hard as the Dalai Lama does. As much as I rejoice for the people who is receiving his teachings, CTA must really look after HHDL as he is aging and he cannot travel as much as he used to be able to travel. In any case, HHDL's tenacity in carrying out Dharma work and having to fly everywhere despite his age (young people can barely bear a 10 hour flight due to the jet lag and whatnot) is something to be reckoned with.

You can't stop a Buddha from benefiting others, the whole purpose and reason the Buddhas are here is to benefit others, take away that, and what's the reason HHDL to be here. Of course we must take care of our Gurus, just like how HHDL's Private Office would take care of HH, but really I dont think they have any control over where HHDL wishes to go to teach the Dharma... lol...

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:45 AM »
You can't stop a Buddha from benefiting others, the whole purpose and reason the Buddhas are here is to benefit others, take away that, and what's the reason HHDL to be here. Of course we must take care of our Gurus, just like how HHDL's Private Office would take care of HH, but really I dont think they have any control over where HHDL wishes to go to teach the Dharma... lol...

Haha i dont think anyone can control what HHDL does because he is a Buddha, but he still has a human body and there are limitations and it is still up to HHDL's private office to decide where and when he goes and to process the applicants and process them accordingly. However, I really do wonder if the nations that invited HHDL will subject HHDL to disrespect like how the White House did to make HHDL go through the back lane of the white house where all the garbage is and how Switzerland declares how they will not give HHDL a dignified welcome as they do not recognize CTA. HHDL's influence is waning although these nations are inviting him, but we do not know if they will treat him with respect.

Lineageholder

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
http://www.childrenincrossfire.org/news/would-you-like-the-opportunity-to-ask-his-holiness-the-dalai-lama-a-question

unfortunately, there are questions we could ask, but they won't be asked and they won't be answered  :(

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
http://www.childrenincrossfire.org/news/would-you-like-the-opportunity-to-ask-his-holiness-the-dalai-lama-a-question

unfortunately, there are questions we could ask, but they won't be asked and they won't be answered  :(

Hahaha that is true Lineage Holder... perhaps the question I would like to ask is...

1. Is there a difference between Children whose parents Dorje Shugden practitioners and those who aren't?

2. If there is what is the difference and is that the reason why  they are being shun by others and deprived of education for they are not allowed to enter public schools in their own Tibetan Community in Dharmasala?  Is this what we call fair and compassionate?

I know these questions will never be asked and never be answered but then again there is nothing stopping us from posting these type of questions up to [email protected]

All questions are to be given by Friday 12th April.

dsiluvu

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »

Haha i dont think anyone can control what HHDL does because he is a Buddha, but he still has a human body and there are limitations and it is still up to HHDL's private office to decide where and when he goes and to process the applicants and process them accordingly. However, I really do wonder if the nations that invited HHDL will subject HHDL to disrespect like how the White House did to make HHDL go through the back lane of the white house where all the garbage is and how Switzerland declares how they will not give HHDL a dignified welcome as they do not recognize CTA. HHDL's influence is waning although these nations are inviting him, but we do not know if they will treat him with respect.

I do not think HHDL's private office can really "tell" His Holiness what to do but more propose and I believe His Holiness is still the one that makes the final decision whether or not He will travel and tour. I think His Holiness is going all out as much as He can to still spread as much positivite wisdom as He can to others... I just wished His Holiness would do the same for His own people even though they practice a Dharma Protector He does not approve of now which He himself practiced in the past.

If His Holiness does this, it would create such a huge wave of impact to all Tibetan Buddhist around the world that His teachings on compassion, tolerance, harmony, kindness, unity amongst people will all be REAL and many would fold their hands even more!

Because like it or not I think His Holiness influence is still very strong and can change millions of minds, stopping them from collecting many more negative karma. For sure this will boost His reputation even more and in this even, it is natural and automatic that His current Government will also move up in reputation. So if the CTA was smart, they would ask His Holiness to remove the ridiculous ban that have cause the world to look at HHDL and Tibet with more skepticism, precaution and disenchantment from the whole spiritual loving charade due to the ban. Isn't it funny though, the ban has impacted and actually brought "down" the HHDL's and the Tibetan Govt's reputation and increase the awareness on DS globally?! His Holiness is truly a skillful Buddha!

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
Yes, dsiluvu, I am very curious to read the answers to your questions too. These are some of the many questions that most of my dharma brothers and sisters here would like answered too. We are also wondering if Shugden practitioners are allowed to attend his magnificent teachings and public talks. It would be real meaningful if I could attend His Holiness teaching on Atisha's Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment. I have read about it but it must be some experience to be in the audience and listening to the words coming out of His holy mouth. Rejoice for all the fortunate ones at the teachings. May HHDL live for a long long time and continue to turn the dharma wheel for all sentient beings.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 03:59:19 AM »
there has been a lot of open letters addressed to the Dalai Lama that has gone unanswered for a very long time (probably filtered out by his private office) and among them are a few very interesting and juicy open letters from Geshe Keslang Gyatso, Dromtrung Rinpoche and Kundeling Rinpoche that highlight many incidents that was blamed unfairly on Dorje Shugden that went unanswered, which in an ordinary situation would mean that the person the open letter was directed to conceded and admit to the wrongdoings and the faults pointed out in that letter. So yes, the Dalai Lama may choose to answer the simple ones but he will try and avoid all the Dorje Shugden related ones, because he knows he is wrong about the ban and he cannot lie or answer for his ban.

Manjushri

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:32 AM »
Wow! At 77 years old, HHDL is still so physically fit and mentally very well. Able to give teachings, confer empowerments and speak for hours, travel, meet people...all in the name of Dharma. How many 77 year olds do we know that has the tenacity and energy comparable to HHDL?

Look at how sharp, alert, stable, aware and "well-maintained" minds of older monks are. Meditation, Recitation, Practising, and studying the Dharma, really shows something. That our mind and our bodies are seperate from one another. The mind cannot grow old unless you allow it to. or let it to. or created the karma for it to.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »
Wow! At 77 years old, HHDL is still so physically fit and mentally very well. Able to give teachings, confer empowerments and speak for hours, travel, meet people...all in the name of Dharma. How many 77 year olds do we know that has the tenacity and energy comparable to HHDL?

Look at how sharp, alert, stable, aware and "well-maintained" minds of older monks are. Meditation, Recitation, Practising, and studying the Dharma, really shows something. That our mind and our bodies are seperate from one another. The mind cannot grow old unless you allow it to. or let it to. or created the karma for it to.

This is also another proof that attainments that you get from practicing the Dharma lasts forever. It is not something that will disappear over time or become weaker. In any case, they are living proof that Dharma attainments are something that you can take with you to your next life. Compared to their Christian counterparts, Buddhist Lamas do more work and are generally more lucid and work harder because they have genuine compassion and love for their students. Due to their compassion, they are willing to go at any length and work extra hard just so that their students can learn and gain attainments. these are the difference between Buddhist lamas and the nonbuddhist ones.

lotus1

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
Rejoice to know that HHDL are going around with very tied schedule in Europe to spread the Dharma. This is really showing how compassionate HH that despite old age, he still travels around to spread Dharma.

Found a live stream http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3650101/events/2034614/videos/16703797 on one of his talk during ‘Culture of Compassion’ at Children in Crossfire on 18th April 2013. An article on his talk can be found here too: http://www.dalailama.com/news/post/934-working-for-peace-educating-the-heart-and-cultivating-compassion-in-derry

In his talk, HH stressed on being non-violence, warm heartedness, respect all religions and respect non-believers in order to have a healthy mind for a healthy body, healthy family and healthy community. I really hope CTA will really follow HH teachings and be warm heartedness and compassion to all the Shugden practitioners.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »
Rejoice to know that HHDL are going around with very tied schedule in Europe to spread the Dharma. This is really showing how compassionate HH that despite old age, he still travels around to spread Dharma.

Found a live stream http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3650101/events/2034614/videos/16703797 on one of his talk during ‘Culture of Compassion’ at Children in Crossfire on 18th April 2013. An article on his talk can be found here too: http://www.dalailama.com/news/post/934-working-for-peace-educating-the-heart-and-cultivating-compassion-in-derry

In his talk, HH stressed on being non-violence, warm heartedness, respect all religions and respect non-believers in order to have a healthy mind for a healthy body, healthy family and healthy community. I really hope CTA will really follow HH teachings and be warm heartedness and compassion to all the Shugden practitioners.

HHDL stressed on those qualities, but why cant those qualities be applied on Dorje Shugden followers as well? Why is it that Dorje Shugden followers have to be demonized and discriminated against while everyone else should be respected? Dorje Shugden followers have that same equal right to be respected for their beliefs too...how can the Dalai Lama ask everyone to respect the beliefs of everyone else BUT Dorje Shudgen practitioners? And to top it all off, the discrimination is being hidden and cloaked by the CTA's lies who mislead people who listen to them in good faith further....

icy

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
Dalai Lama visits Londonderry & Cambridge       

[22 April 2013] The Dalai Lama visited the UK in mid-April as part of a whirlwind 10-day European tour. During his two days in the UK (18-19 April), he visited Londonderry and Cambridge. He was also interviewed by Channel 4 News.

The Dalai Lama's only public engagement during his UK trip was in Londonderry where he spoke to 2,500 people on the value of compassion at an event organised by Children in Crossfire (pictured right). Whilst in Londonderry he also met with Protestant and Catholic leaders and said, "There is no other alternative to the peace process, there is no other choice, you have to work and live together so we should not act like animals.."

In Cambridge, the Dalai Lama spoke on the topic of non-violent conflict resolution to the Global Scholars Symposium (pictured left), an organisation that brings together students from around the world to find solutions to the planet's most challenging problems.

During a press conference in Cambridge, the Dalai Lama talked about the importance of religious harmony and the need for education about moral ethics. He said, "I think there is some hope that within this century humanity, through education, can be more compassionate."

The Dalai Lama gave his only interview whilst in the UK to Channel 4 News. He answered questions on the new Chinese leadership, self-immolations, the future of the Dalai Lama lineage and recent violence by Buddhists in Burma and Sri Lanka.

On China, the Dalai Lama said, “Nowadays the world trend is towards greater openness, democracy and the rule of law; if China wants to participate more fully in the world it will have to follow this trend. The harmonious society that Hu Jintao aspired to create is admirable, but it can only be created on the basis of warm-heartedness, not fear; fear is the opposite of harmony.”

With respect to the situation in Tibet, the Dalai Lama there had been positive developments in terms of economic infrastructure, but added that freedom is also important. “We are not animals. If you give animals food and shelter they are happy. Tibetans have a rich and ancient Buddhist culture, which is of value, but which is presently under dire threats to its existence.”

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 05:36:50 AM »
The Dalai Lama's visit did nothing to improve the awareness of the Tibetan campaign with britian, it seems.

Britain repects China's sovereignty over Tibet: PM
English.news.cn   2013-05-09 19:35:45                  
LONDON, May 9 (Xinhua) -- Britain does not support Tibetan independence and respects China's sovereignty, Prime Minister David Cameron told members of parliament on Wednesday.

"Let us be absolutely clear. This government has not changed the long-standing British policy towards China and Tibet," the prime minister said.

"The Chinese government is aware of our policy on Tibet. We recognize Tibet as part of China. We do not support Tibetan independence and we respect China's sovereignty," Cameron said.

The prime minister said Britain wants to "have a strong and positive relationship with China," which he believes is in their mutual benefit.

"When I spoke to Premier Li (Keqiang) recently, we both looked forward to both countries working very closely together in the months and years ahead," he said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-05/09/c_132371038.htm