Author Topic: What Do You Mean By Mental Peace?  (Read 4616 times)

icy

What Do You Mean By Mental Peace?
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
If you reduce anger and attachment, you reach a point when your mind always remains calm or stable. It is as simple as that. Strong anger and attachment create waves in your mind. People may not realize when they yield to desire or develop attachment that it will cause them mental unrest. But actually, when a strong desire or attachment occurs, during that moment mental peace is lost. To reduce attachment, especially anger or hatred, leads to mental calmness. This is what we call mental peace.

bambi

Re: What Do You Mean By Mental Peace?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »
It does sound easy when said. Doesnt mean that I am not trying though. I have been trying and practicing it very much as my attachments still overwhelm me at times. I just had anger issues and yes, it totally blew my mental calmness at that time and of coz it is wrong! Its not an excuse to let my selfish attachment cause unhappiness to people around me. I used to have very strong attachments and now I am learning to let go as days pass. Reduce reduce and reduce... I read this post at the right time...

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »
Without mental peace there is no foundation to gain true happiness.Mental peace has relationship with dropping of conscious efforts. The more one presses the mind to reject the idea,thought more firmly will it be rooted deeper.These attention is focusing and concentrating on what should not be done.
This has relation to our breathing process .There will be no thoughts and emotion .That is the state of nothingness.Sit quietly in a corner of your home or any other place where there is little or no disturbance.
It is we who,propelled by our own whims,fancies,omissions and etc get entangled in activities and pursuits aimed at satiation of our senses and ego.Some of them ,however end up disturbing and destroying peace in our lives.Take a deep breath and be calm.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »
Let me start with a story I once heard. "There were two monks travelling through the Jungles, heading for the monastery at its end. One of them was an aged and wise Master Monk. The other was his young pupil, still under training. On there journey across a stream, flowing through the forest, they came across a beautiful maiden with her cloths in tatters. She had been robbed and was unable to walk. Upon further enquiring, they discovered that her village lied on their path. She begged them to help her. The young monk was captivated by her beauty, but knew it was against their code to touch a woman. The Master Monk, not wasting much time, lifted her and carried her to her village. They safely brought her to her village, and then left for their destination. Throughout the journey, the young pupil was filled with questions and condemnation for his master’s actions. Upon reaching the monastery, the pupil asked the master, “Master, Why did you carry that women with you, back at the stream And then leave her till her village?" The young monk felt cheated and was quite rude in his questioning. The Old monk calmly answered, “My young apprentice, I have left that girl behind at her village because she needed my help, but have you left her yet?" "
This story made me really understand the concept of letting go clear as crystal. It's all about doing what you have to do or bearing with what you have to and then just letting it go. Releasing all energy, thoughts, emotions and feelings associated with it. Clearing the mind of its shackles and finding that elusive obvious Mental Peace.

pgdharma

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
Modern psychology and medicine can alleviate physical and mental pain but only Buddhism can cure mental suffering.  It is from the mind which is the cause of all sufferings or happiness. Our delusions can be eradicated and or suffering diminished. Lasting peace and happiness are always available if we guide our own minds.

However, genuine practice should not just rest on words but to practice it diligently and consistently in order to achieve the results. It takes training and discipline. Practicing patience and non attachment will help us transformed and developed a true sense of peace and calmness.