Author Topic: Tibetans denied permission to protest as Premier Li lands in India  (Read 6860 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Well, if only the Tibetans were more well behaved, they wouldnt have to be told off like this. But if only they would have not been so vocal about the protests and instead think about more concrete plans and proposals to be given to China, it would have been more beneficial instead and they would not have to be prevented from protesting like this.

Tibetans denied permission to protest as Premier Li lands in India
Phayul[Sunday, May 19, 2013 23:50]

Indian policemen detain a lone Tibetan protestor staging a protest against Chinese Premier Li Keqiang outside the Chinese embassy, in New Delhi, India on May 19, 2013.(Photo/Associated Press/Tsering Topgyal).

DHARAMSHALA, May 19: In the run up to Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s maiden visit to India, security presence around Tibetan residential areas in New Delhi has been drastically increased and local authorities have rejected a request for public protest by Tibetan NGOs.

The Tibetan Youth Hostel in Rohini, where a large number of Tibetan college students reside, has been slapped a notice by the Delhi Police stating that the hostel will remain shut during Li’s stay in the capital. The popular Tibetan residential area of Aruna Nagar is also under a heavy security presence, where sleuths are reportedly on the look out for local Tibetan activists.

Moreover, local authorities have rejected a request for a public protest against Li’s visit at Jantar Mantar by Tibetan NGOs. Initially, the request by the regional chapters of the Tibetan youth, women’s, and students’ groups was accepted but local authorities, at the eleventh hour, had a change of mind.

China’s second-ranked leader, soon after landing in the Indian capital for a three-day visit (May 19-21) met with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Sunday afternoon.

Li’s visit comes in the wake of the recent border stand-off between India and China. On April 15, Chinese troops had set up camp nearly 10km inside Indian territory in the Depsang valley in eastern Ladakh and refused to vacate despite hectic military and diplomatic negotiations. The 20-day border stand-off finally ended on May 5 with China moving back to its initial position.

According to reports, PM Singh, during his meeting with Li, raised India's boundary concerns in a "firm, upfront and constructive" manner and said it is essential to maintain peace and tranquility at the border.

Dr Singh, according to government sources, said that without maintaining peace at the border, the relationship between the two countries will suffer.

It is also being reported that China, meanwhile, raised the Tibet issue. India responded by saying that the Dalai Lama is “a respected spiritual and religious leader and Tibetans are not allowed to conduct any political activity.”

The two leaders will hold delegation-level talks on Monday during which India is likely to propose an exchange of maps on the contested western and eastern sectors across the LAC. According to government sources, the Indian side will "proactively" raise the importance of greater information-sharing on trans-border rivers such as the Brahmaputra-Yarlung Tsangpo, and hope China, as an upper riparian state, will fulfil its responsibilities.

On Tuesday, Li will travel to Mumbai accompanied by a business delegation comprising more than 100 executives from some of China’s biggest companies.

Bilateral trade between India and China went down to $66.5 billion in 2012 from $74 billion in 2011, a setback to the targeted goal of reaching $100 billion by 2015. According to Chinese figures, India also faces an increasing trade deficit with China that totaled $29 billion in 2012.

DharmaDefender

Re: Tibetans denied permission to protest as Premier Li lands in India
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
"instead think about more concrete plans and proposals to be given to China" - I think that goes without saying! My experience with Tibetans is that their generally pretty shortsighted. Theres a great degree of immediate gratification rather than long-term planning. I cant say that its their fault because thats just the cultural result of centuries of worrying about whats right in front of you, and never having to think about the future.

So although their first step is to get dialogue between themselves and the Chinese, after that, what then? How do they propose China hand over Tibet to them? Do the Tibetans realise how much their land has changed since they fled into exile, and would they be able to cope and maintain the changes? How about the millions of Han Chinese whove moved into the region and set up their lives there, what happens to them? Will they be free from Tibetan persecution, as retaliation for decades of hardship? Or will they be forced to give up their lives and move back to China with nothing?

The issue of being shortsighted amongst the Tibetans extends everywhere else. Their lack of foresight about developing true leaders for their people. Their lack of foresight for putting more money into the development of their infrastructure in exile. Their lack of foresight in developing other methods of protest which dont involve petrol and a lighter. And of course it goes without saying, their lack of foresight about the ban and how they keep it up.

bonfire

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:45 AM »
Let's imagine this is a personal story.

A long time ago, I used to live harmoniously with my best friend, then we got into a heated argument, we started fighting even, it got really bad, so I left and took refuge in the house of another friend who took care of me, gave me land, gave me a place to live and room to move on.

Today, years have passed and my very friend that I used to fight with comes to visit the house of this friend that gave me refuge and support in time of needs, for decades in fact.
This visit has nothing to do with me, nothing.
Both are good friends, and for them this is a friendly reunion.

So what should I do?
Should I abuse the situation and slap my old friend as he is visiting the house of the friend that gave me so much support over the years?
Or should I give respect to the friend that gave me refuge by taking a back seat, not interfering and giving them understanding and respect, just as I was given?

Of course, this is not the time, this is not the place for me to scream and shout, it is time to give back, give back the respect, give back the support, give back the room!
Isn't it?

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:14 AM »
I am sorry but I think the Tibetans have no say Sino-Indian relations. It is obvious that the Indian government already knows this and I believe that's why they are strictly not allowing any Tibetan protests in respect to the Chinese premier's state visit. The protest is first not going to do anything for anybody except rile up tensions already simmering between India and China.

This is just incredibly silly of any Tibetans to protest during such a visit as they are only concerned for themselves and have totally no regards for the interests of India. If I was in power in India, I would ensure any protesters are arrested upon sight because my first priority would be to solve the border crisis and perhaps develop further economic ties that would mutually beneficial for my people. If I were the Tibetans, I would stay clear and be peaceful because I don't want to jeopardize anything for India and basically abuse the welcome India has accorded to the Tibetans. If India were to be nasty, they might as well deport the Tibetans back to China or another country.

Personally, I think protesting against China is a waste of time. It would be better to spend that energy and resources to the spread of Buddhadharma and/or Dorje Shugden. That would have deeper and more beneficial result.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »
The protests show once more that the Tibetans do not really care about anyone at all. They do not care if their actions would place India in a difficult situation and create more conflict in the world. All they care about is the freedom of Tibet and everything else is secondary. As long as they do not change their attitude, they will never get Tibet back no matter how hard they try or  how much work they put into trying to get Tibet back because it is their attitudes that cause them to lose Tibet and never return.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:49 AM »
Looks like some of them even refuse to respect the indian law and the wishes of the indian government:

Three Tibetan activists detained in Delhi
Phayul[Monday, May 20, 2013 15:24]

Tashi, a Tibetan activist, unfurling a banner from the roof of a petrol station adjacent to the Taj Hotel in New Delhi were Chinese Premier Li Keqiang is staying. May 20, 2013.

DHARAMSHALA, May 20: Three Tibetans were detained today by the Delhi Police for staging a protest against Chinese Premier Li Keqiang near the Taj Palace Hotel in the Indian capital where Li is presently staying.

The three Tibetans have been identified as members and staff of the Students for a Free Tibet- Tenzin Tselha, SFT Grassroot Director, Lobsang Phendey, Office manager, and Tashi, a student. They were immediately detained and are currently lodged at the Chanakyapuri Police station.

Earlier, local authorities had denied Tibetan organisations permission to hold a protest against Li’s maiden visit to India and even increased security around Tibetan residential areas.

Tashi managed to climb on the top of a filling station adjacent to the hotel and unfurled a 20-foot-long banner reading, “CHINA OUT OF TIBET, CHINA OUT OF INDIA, LI KEQIANG: TIBET WILL BE FREE!” and raised slogans calling for “Free Tibet’ and “Tibet’s Independence, India’s Security.” The two other protesters were arrested for trying to break security barricade around the hotel.

"We are here to shame Li Keqiang over the ongoing crisis in Tibet and to challenge him to end China's failed policies that have driven 117 Tibetans to light their own bodies on fire in protest,” said Tenzin Tselha, Grassroots Director of Students for a Free Tibet, India.

“If India's leaders desire lasting peace and security then they must directly and publicly raise the issue of Tibet with Li. Only a lasting resolution to China's illegal occupation of Tibet can bring about a lasting solution to India's longstanding border issues. The Indian government must also engage with other downstream nations in a multilateral effort to secure Tibet's critical water resources and to ensure these resource are not solely controlled by the Chinese government.”

As a precautionary measure, a large number of security personnel have been deployed at the Chinese embassy and the hotel where Li is staying. Also, four metro stations – Race Course, Udyog Bhawan, Central Secretariat, and Khan Market – remained closed for hours and several roads around the areas were blocked.

“China's occupation of Tibet is not only a critical issue for six million Tibetans aspiring for freedom and human rights, but also a growing security issue for India. The recent incursion by Chinese troops into Indian territory in Eastern Ladakh once again highlights China’s imperialist plans for the region," said Dorjee Tseten, National Director, Students for a Free Tibet-India.

“The situation demands bold and immediate action and we stand together with our Indian brothers and sisters in condemning China’s aggression. Many Indians also stand with Tibetans in our hope that the Government of India will raise a lasting resolution for Tibet as a priority issue during these talks with China's new leadership.”

Yesterday, the students’ group had launched a parody video titled “Li Premier League” mocking the Chinese Premier and challenging him to respond to the mounting global pressure for an end to China’s crackdown in Tibet. A takeoff of ‘Dil Jamping Japak,’ the theme of the popular cricket series T20 Indian Premier League, the video features Li making a mockery of himself over China’s handling of the recurrent order intrusion into India and Beijing’s repression in Tibet.

Li is currently on a three-day visit to India following which he will be travelling to close ally Pakistan, Switzerland, and Germany.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

A long time ago, I used to live harmoniously with my best friend, then we got into a heated argument, we started fighting even, it got really bad, so I left and took refuge in the house of another friend who took care of me, gave me land, gave me a place to live and room to move on.

Today, years have passed and my very friend that I used to fight with comes to visit the house of this friend that gave me refuge and support in time of needs, for decades in fact.

So what should I do?
Should I abuse the situation and slap my old friend as he is visiting the house of the friend that gave me so much support over the years?
Or should I give respect to the friend that gave me refuge by taking a back seat, not interfering and giving them understanding and respect, just as I was given?

Of course, this is not the time, this is not the place for me to scream and shout, it is time to give back, give back the respect, give back the support, give back the room!
Isn't it?

i like this "personal story" and it is a very good analogy! Tibetans should not abuse their very kind and generous host country to create animosity between China and India. Relations between China and India are already delicate - what right do Tibetans have to cause a rift! Instead, Tibetans should try to repair relationship with China so that the Tibetans who wish to return to Tibet are able to do so. They have to be realistic and understand that Tibet IS part of China now and how to make the best situation out of it for everyone.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »
"instead think about more concrete plans and proposals to be given to China" - I think that goes without saying! My experience with Tibetans is that their generally pretty shortsighted. Theres a great degree of immediate gratification rather than long-term planning. I cant say that its their fault because thats just the cultural result of centuries of worrying about whats right in front of you, and never having to think about the future.

So although their first step is to get dialogue between themselves and the Chinese, after that, what then? How do they propose China hand over Tibet to them? Do the Tibetans realise how much their land has changed since they fled into exile, and would they be able to cope and maintain the changes? How about the millions of Han Chinese whove moved into the region and set up their lives there, what happens to them? Will they be free from Tibetan persecution, as retaliation for decades of hardship? Or will they be forced to give up their lives and move back to China with nothing?

The issue of being shortsighted amongst the Tibetans extends everywhere else. Their lack of foresight about developing true leaders for their people. Their lack of foresight for putting more money into the development of their infrastructure in exile. Their lack of foresight in developing other methods of protest which dont involve petrol and a lighter. And of course it goes without saying, their lack of foresight about the ban and how they keep it up.

Because they are spoiled rotten and they take everything for granted. Unfortunately, this has also spilled out over to the supporters of the Tibetan cause, especially westerners infected with the white knight syndrome where they would want to fight for Tibetan independence and how they blindly demand China to return Tibet to the Tibetans when the actual fact is that the whole situation is a lot more complicated than that. I guess it is easy to demand for something when you dont have to take responsibility for all the complications that will follow.

Rihanna

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:16:25 AM »
I personally believe that these protests will bring no significant result in reclaiming Tibet from the hands of China. Furthermore, I do not see that there will be any chance for Tibet to regain its independence as the CTA is ineffective.

For the Tibetans, I feel sorry for them but at the same time feel that they should not be protesting on the streets as they are living on Indian soil.  Such action will put India in an awlward situation with China and jeopardize the relation of this two massively populated nation. The Tibetans should be grateful for India to have granted them refuge following China’s invasion of Tibet in 1959.

I agree with what Ensapa wrote:  I guess it is easy to demand for something when you dont have to take responsibility for all the complications that will follow.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:33:01 AM »
I personally believe that these protests will bring no significant result in reclaiming Tibet from the hands of China. Furthermore, I do not see that there will be any chance for Tibet to regain its independence as the CTA is ineffective.

For the Tibetans, I feel sorry for them but at the same time feel that they should not be protesting on the streets as they are living on Indian soil.  Such action will put India in an awlward situation with China and jeopardize the relation of this two massively populated nation. The Tibetans should be grateful for India to have granted them refuge following China’s invasion of Tibet in 1959.

I agree with what Ensapa wrote:  I guess it is easy to demand for something when you dont have to take responsibility for all the complications that will follow.

Sometimes, the amount of free Tibet westerners are quite ridiculous to a point where you wonder whether or not these people are for real. They keep demanding for China to free Tibet, Ughyur and inner Mongolia when there isnt really a concrete reason to do so. If they have done their research they will know that there is no point dividing China  because China is capable of governing these states at the moment. Perhaps when the time is right China will release them but not now. What is also equally interesting is also how similar do these westerners think like the Tibetans in Dharamsala and how irresponsible they are in this matter. Causing more chaos and suffering in exchange for your own happiness is not right.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
This is just another selfish act of the Tibetans. They fight so much, not caring about the consequences. They did not even take into consideration that the place where they are staying is not theirs. It is borrowed, it is lent to them with empathy of their situation back then.

If I am the Indian government, I would throw the protestants to jail for the first two times, if there is still a third time, I would chase them back to their countries. They have to keep in mind that they are staying in India as a refugee, not a guest. The Tibetans should take a good look at their own behavior and correct those mistakes they have done, creating so much mess for India. Even when letting them to take charge of a small piece of land they are not able to do so, what makes the Tibetans think that they will be able to handle the own ruling of Tibet by themselves? It would just go back to the backward self if China releases the land to them.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 11:24:52 PM »
This is just another selfish act of the Tibetans. They fight so much, not caring about the consequences. They did not even take into consideration that the place where they are staying is not theirs. It is borrowed, it is lent to them with empathy of their situation back then.

If I am the Indian government, I would throw the protestants to jail for the first two times, if there is still a third time, I would chase them back to their countries. They have to keep in mind that they are staying in India as a refugee, not a guest. The Tibetans should take a good look at their own behavior and correct those mistakes they have done, creating so much mess for India. Even when letting them to take charge of a small piece of land they are not able to do so, what makes the Tibetans think that they will be able to handle the own ruling of Tibet by themselves? It would just go back to the backward self if China releases the land to them.

India has been an extremely gracious host to the Tibetans for so many decades now. It could have clamped down on the rights of the Tibetans on india to make them more controllable but they did not. Instead they have assisted and worked together with the CTA in every way, but what has CTA or the Tibetans done to repay this kindness other than making more and more garish protests against visiting Chinese officials that may jeopardize India's relationship with China? Wake up, CTA!

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 06:57:05 AM »

So what should I do?

Isn't it?

Indeed, I agree with what BONFIRE wrote here.

If we compare the relationship between people to relationship between friends and neighbours, the behavior of some of the exiled Tibetans is indeed not exemplary and far from respectful in this instance.

Some may say that it is the doing of independent isolated people, but then why did the CTA not stand up and ask from their fellowmen to keep quite while China was visiting India because they had to pay back to India, their friend and supporter, the respect they had received for decades.

So I think this is a valid analogy indeed.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
India has been an extremely gracious host to the Tibetans for so many decades now. It could have clamped down on the rights of the Tibetans on india to make them more controllable but they did not. Instead they have assisted and worked together with the CTA in every way, but what has CTA or the Tibetans done to repay this kindness other than making more and more garish protests against visiting Chinese officials that may jeopardize India's relationship with China? Wake up, CTA!

Just from this very simple act we can see how selfish the CTA is. The CTA only cares about themselves. Even if it is said that they are fighting for the Tibetans it is also all just a bunch of nonsense that the CTA claims. It can be seen that the CTA is selfish only caring about their own gains and enjoyments. If it is not because of that, the CTA would have allowed Dharamsala to grow under their care.