Author Topic: Overcoming Obstacles - An open letter from WSS  (Read 10026 times)

jagger

• For the love of Shugden
Overcoming Obstacles - An open letter from WSS
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
Hi all,

I have found this article online from the Western Shugden Society. Do take a read!

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/news/overcoming-obstacles-an-open-letter-from-the-wss/

As we all know, the Western Shugden Society is working ever so tirelessly to lift the ban. Whether we agree with their method or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is that we are one in lifting the ban!
Jaggerboy

Big Uncle

Re: Overcoming Obstacles - An open letter from WSS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
I rejoice what WSS is doing to lift the Dorje Shugden ban. I may not agree fully with some of their reasoning but ultimately, it is to achieve the same results. However, I think WSS do have a rather effective means of working towards the lifting of the ban. I personal hope they achieve their results without damaging the Dalai Lama's reputation too much. I believe that they are not the only group doing this. I have seen on this website and heard from certain monastics that the group behind this website have been sending out massive mailers to people within the monasteries and possibly CTA and other relevant people across the board. I must say that I prefer their stance and I do pray for their success.

Why do I rather not damage the Dalai Lama's reputation? This stance is more in line with Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's advice in Music Delighting and Ocean of Protectors. I think Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche foresaw this conflict and have given relevant advice as embedded his writings and if you read closely, it is very clear and I am pretty convinced myself.

Nonetheless, I pray for WSS success in its endeavor. May the ban come down within the next few years and let Dorje Shugden as express as part of the 'Kadam' Dharma to spread all over the world without bans and any other obstacles.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »
The WSS has certainly been the only other organisation I see openly protesting the Dorje Shugden ban, aside from the administration of this website. In a way, i can see that they are both working in tandem - one online and one off line, and both will reach a different audience.

Amongst the Dorje Shugden practitioners, i notice three different groups : WSS - with its public protests, DS.com - with its online presence, DS lamas - giving teachings in Tibet and Europe.

What I admire in WSS and the group behind DS.com is that they are passionate about Dorje Shugden and though they are not personally affected by the ban, they are very vocal about the injustice of the ban and the need for the ban to be lifted.

From having read much of the articles on this site, I know that DS.com believes that the Dalai Lama is working together with Dorje Shugden and that the ban is simply an illusory play in order to bring greater awareness of this Protector to the world at large.

WSS on the other hand, is very openly critical of the Dalai Lama, accusing him of lying and hypocrisy. Yet DS.com in its article promoting this open letter, can overlook this fundamental difference of opinion and focus on the motivation behind WSS, which is to lift the ban. In that sense, I think that it is very mature of DS.com to take this stance.

The Dorje Shugden lamas are quietly doing their work - giving teachings and Dorje Shugden empowerments - and do not seem to be involved in the politics behind the Dorje Shugden ban. Perhaps I am not aware of what they do behind the scenes but it looks that way. What the WSS and DS.com do is to support the work of these lamas so that Dorje Shugden practice can flourish and benefit many.

I think it is great that all Dorje Shugden practitioners can unite in a common goal to call for the ban on Dorje Shugden practice to be lifted because Dorje Shugden is not an evil spirit, as evidenced by the great lineage lamas who practice and propagate the practice in the world. As long as the ban is in place, there is much wrong view amongst buddhists, especially those who blindly follow the Dalai Lama, and there is much suffering amongst Dorje Shugden practitioners in Tibetan communities. While we in the west are able to practice freely, we must never forget our Tibetan dharma brothers and sisters who cannot.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »
Although on a personal level, I do not really agree with some of the things that WSS has did, and neither do I agree about their stance of pinning the blame on the Dalai Lama and trying to bring him down at every turn, but I do support still because it is something that contributes to the taking down of the ban. Every effort, however small or big helps. What is more important is, and what I would like to see in the future is that WSS combining effort with the admins of this site to help make the Dorje Shugden movement grow by putting all differences aside and focus on the common goal of promoting the protector. That would be more beneficial in the long run...rather than heading onto different directions.

Lineageholder

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:17:24 AM »

What I admire in WSS and the group behind DS.com is that they are passionate about Dorje Shugden and though they are not personally affected by the ban, they are very vocal about the injustice of the ban and the need for the ban to be lifted.

Dear WisdomBeing,

All practitioners of Dorje Shugden are personally affected by the ban. I've met people from the FPMT who were drawn to my robes but when they found out I was an NKT practitioner, made their excuses and left very quickly. Shugden practitioners are, in a sense, just as ostracised in the West and I've met people who have attended other traditions who were told that NKT worships an evil spirit. What does this mean? It means that ALL Shugden practitioners are regarded as being outside Buddhism.  I'm sorry to say this but the Dalai Lama is the sole source of this view and this problem. There is no other source.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 07:05:54 AM »
Dear WisdomBeing,

All practitioners of Dorje Shugden are personally affected by the ban. I've met people from the FPMT who were drawn to my robes but when they found out I was an NKT practitioner, made their excuses and left very quickly. Shugden practitioners are, in a sense, just as ostracised in the West and I've met people who have attended other traditions who were told that NKT worships an evil spirit. What does this mean? It means that ALL Shugden practitioners are regarded as being outside Buddhism.  I'm sorry to say this but the Dalai Lama is the sole source of this view and this problem. There is no other source.

I'd like to apologize for this, but I really dont think that hating the Dalai Lama will make a difference in anything. Hate should not be countered with hate, because if we do that we're going against Je Tsongkhapa's teachings, as well as the teachings of the Buddha himself. Yes, it is very sad that FPMT members are practicing discrimination, but in the end of the day they have their own karma and unhappiness to answer to. The monks of Shar Ganden and Serpom have shown us by example of how to be at peace with the Dalai Lama and practice Dorje Shugden at the same time, and I would prefer that approach.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »
I did not see anywhere that the word 'hate' was used. This seemed to be your own imputation.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »
The WSS has certainly been the only other organisation I see openly protesting the Dorje Shugden ban, ...

Do not forget the Dorje Shugden Devotee's Charitable & Religious Society. This group is still very active and has many members here in India, including some high-profile Rinpoches.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
I rejoice to see WSS and Dorjeshugden.com continuously finding ways and means to lift the ban . I agree that violence and angersome words and tactics should not be used to put anyone down . Facts remain facts . The truth is obvious ,proven by the practice being historically embraced by high Lamas and practitioners since the 17th century until today ! The benefits obtained from this practice helped and is helping many . All of us have to consistently pursue to lift the ban and stay united in a peaceful manner !

Lineageholder

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
I did not see anywhere that the word 'hate' was used. This seemed to be your own imputation.

Dear Tenpa-la,

Thank you for making that point, I didn't use that word at all.

Dear Ensapa,

I'm sorry you feel so strongly and your imputation of hatred on my part is a good example of how things are easily misunderstood in a sectarian dispute like this.  All I am saying is that the Dalai Lama is the sole source of this problem.  It's like saying that a seed is the sole source of a sprout - that doesn't imply that I hate the seed!  Can you tell me where there is another source of this problem, apart from our karma?  I think it's correct to say that if the Dalai Lama had not spoken out against the practice and subsequently had it banned (very unwisely using law to impose a religious view) there would be no problem.  Furthermore, if he had not also undermined his own Gurus Trijang Dorjechang and Kyabje Pabongkhapa Rinpoche, there would be no problem, therefore I feel confident in identifying the Dalai Lama's pronoucements as the sole cause of this problem. 

This doesn't mean that I hate him though.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 03:58:08 AM »

Dear Tenpa-la,

Thank you for making that point, I didn't use that word at all.

Dear Ensapa,

I'm sorry you feel so strongly and your imputation of hatred on my part is a good example of how things are easily misunderstood in a sectarian dispute like this.  All I am saying is that the Dalai Lama is the sole source of this problem.  It's like saying that a seed is the sole source of a sprout - that doesn't imply that I hate the seed!  Can you tell me where there is another source of this problem, apart from our karma?  I think it's correct to say that if the Dalai Lama had not spoken out against the practice and subsequently had it banned (very unwisely using law to impose a religious view) there would be no problem.  Furthermore, if he had not also undermined his own Gurus Trijang Dorjechang and Kyabje Pabongkhapa Rinpoche, there would be no problem, therefore I feel confident in identifying the Dalai Lama's pronoucements as the sole cause of this problem. 

This doesn't mean that I hate him though.

Well, maybe hate is a very strong word to describe zeroing in to a particular person and blaming that person for the source of our problems. What about dislike? dislike is also hate but in a more subtle form. As long as we feel unhappy about something that's hate in its subtle form. But what are you going to do by targeting the Dalai Lama? what will you achieve? Even if the Dalai Lama is removed, the people he has already influenced will not change their minds. Going against the Dalai Lama will only damage the reputation of Dorje Shugden practitioners in the long run, it does not help much. However, if we stick to our Dharma practice and prove the Dalai Lama to be wrong with our results and explain to others who Dorje Shugden really is, backed up by history and logic, people will come to accept Dorje Shugden as they can think for themselves.

When you zero in on something and you cannot look objectively anymore, you're being blinded by one of the 3 poisons. Being able to look at something objectively helps in more ways than one.

Lineageholder

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
Dear Ensapa,

I'm not targeting anyone, I'm simply saying that the Dalai Lama is the source of this problem. If you deny this, perhaps that is also a type of blindness? We can say that we are objective but is that really true?

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree. Thank you for encouraging me to examine my mind.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »

Dear WisdomBeing,

Thanks for sharing that, Lineageholder. I do agree with you that the Dalai Lama is the source of this view. You are right in that there is a negative reaction to being a Dorje Shugden practitioner. I just hadn't equated it to the same level as what is being suffered in the Tibetan refugee communities but yes, i have personally experienced it online and offline. When i have participated in some buddhist online forums, i have been immediately put down as a devil worshipper and someone against the Dalai Lama, which i am not. Let's hope the ban will be lifted soon so that we can all co-exist happily :)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
Dear Ensapa,

I'm not targeting anyone, I'm simply saying that the Dalai Lama is the source of this problem. If you deny this, perhaps that is also a type of blindness? We can say that we are objective but is that really true?

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree. Thank you for encouraging me to examine my mind.

Dear Lineageholder,

weaseling and wiggling your way out with polemics and words is a very clear sign that you know very well what I am saying is true. if not, you wouldnt have been defensive and just have been honest. just because you did not say i hate the dalai lama but you imply that you do then when someone points that out you said 'i never used the word hate' isnt that a form of deception? I have read some of your past posts before and I know very well of your dislike towards the Dalai Lama. I have not denied that the Dalai Lama is the source of the Dorje Shugden issue, but i do not agree to focus on that aspect because nothing much can be done about that. If you keep insisting that the Dalai Lama is the problem, arent you insinuating something else, because there are other ways of lifting the ban such as promoting Dorje Shugden to those who are not affected by the Dalai Lama's reach. So my point between all those posts was, why cant we look at other ways and forget about targeting the Dalai Lama (if not, why would you have to raise the point that the source is from the Dalai Lama again and again? obviously, everyone knows about this and there is a reason why you want to raise this point repeatedly.)

so...if im jumping to conclusions and there is another reason as to why you want to raise the Dalai Lama is the source point so strongly, do enlighten me to rewrite my conclusions :)

gohdi

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
Hi Ensapa,
like Lineage Holder I would like to say (1) that the Dalai Lama for me is the only source of the ban and (2) that I have not any negaive intentions against the Dalai Lama. As Buddha said everybody was our kind mother in the past  :) and as Buddhists we fight against suffering and delusions, neverr against mother sentient beings.

Best Regards
Mama  ;)