Author Topic: TYC apologies to Dalai Lama for past mistakes  (Read 9733 times)

DharmaSpace

TYC apologies to Dalai Lama for past mistakes
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
n a rare gesture in the 40-year-long history, leaders of the Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC) - the largest pro-independence group in-exile - has apologised to the spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, for the mistakes they had made in the past.

With this sudden change in the stance on policies advocated by the Dalai Lama, the TYC has hinted to re-evaluate the stand of the orgnisation on various prominent issues, including future activities.

The TYC is holding its 15th general body meeting that started in Dharamsala on Sunday.

Over 130 delegates representing more than 40 regional chapters from the Indian subcontinent, the US and Canada are taking part in the highest decision-making body of the organisation, which meets every three years.

In his inaugural address, TYC president Tsewang Rigzin expressed the organisation's profound gratitude to the Dalai Lama for his tireless efforts in leading the Tibetans.

Calling the Dalai Lama the “strength behind the Tibetan people's unity and the life vein of Tibet's courage,” Rigzin clarified that TYC would never intentionally do anything directly, indirectly or otherwise to upset the spiritual leader.

“TYC as an organisation has never intentionally slandered or belittled His Holiness and the Tibetan administration in -exile,” Rigzin said.

“If unknowingly, TYC made any mistake by going against His Holiness, caused even the slightest of offense and slander or belittled him, through this meeting, we apologise from depth of our heart,” he added.

The TYC leader also promised to follow the Dalai Lama's guidance, co-operate with and support the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA).

Paying tributes to those who have lost their lives protesting Chinese repression, Rigzin said the courage and strength of the martyrs and those suffering under the repressive rule had shown would be the basic route of the Tibetan struggle.

The TYC apology came after the Dalai Lama's recent remarks concerning the organisation and the demand for complete independence, following which a handful of regional chapters had made calls for a change in the position of TYC from independence to seeking genuine autonomy.

However, sources said a resolution reinstating TYC's goal for complete independence of Tibet was adopted on a majority vote. In the next five days, the meeting will deopleiscuss issues related to the organisation's working objectives, and its future plans and programmes.

Special discussions will also be held on the critical situation in Tibet and aspirations of over 100 Tibetans, who have self-immolated protesting against the release of 11th Panchen Lama Gedhun Choekyi Nyima and measures to counter and prevent threats to the security of the Dalai Lama.

The people they should apologize to  those monks and lay people who are still practicing Dorje Shugdem.

Ensapa

• Email
Re: TYC apologies to Dalai Lama for past mistakes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »
This is funny. This came right after the Dalai Lama expressed his unhappiness and displeasure against a parliamentary member for equating his middle way policy with independence in order to appease, perhaps, certain Tibetans who keep demanding for independence when the Dalai Lama has already made it very clear that autonomy is the way to go, and TYC has been organising rallies demanding independence and influencing international groups to do the same. It is only now that they realize what they have been doing is wrong and is against the Dalai Lama's wishes. ( a bit too late?) Whatever actions they do for independence counters the Dalai Lama.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
This is a good direction for pro-independence people within CTA and the Tibetan community at large. Hmm... They have been active in their stance for a long time and only now does the Dalai Lama seemed to have been reining in support for his self-autonomy stance. I wonder why... I am not thinking there's anything bad but I am thinking what else is the Dalai Lama thinking and planing right now. First of all, the Dalai Lama with the deepest respect is aging and has retired from political office. He has proclaimed that he will stop condemning Dorje Shugden and I wonder what's next.

If I were the Dalai Lama, I think I would be starting dialogue with China again to discuss a possible pilgrimage to Tibet, to see his homeland, holy places in Gaden, Tashi Lhunpo, Kumbum and so forth. Now, the Chinese would probably seize this opportunity to request the Dalai Lama to stop making any political statements and perhaps retire completely from public appearances and state visits. Only then will they approve of his visit to China. I wonder if this is what's transpiring and the Dalai Lama is of course doing his best to appease the Chinese in this manner. Perhaps, even the Dalai Lama might have to retract the Dorje Shugden ban too. That would be so wonderful! I am fantasizing about this right now.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:23:34 AM »
This is a good direction for pro-independence people within CTA and the Tibetan community at large. Hmm... They have been active in their stance for a long time and only now does the Dalai Lama seemed to have been reining in support for his self-autonomy stance. I wonder why... I am not thinking there's anything bad but I am thinking what else is the Dalai Lama thinking and planing right now. First of all, the Dalai Lama with the deepest respect is aging and has retired from political office. He has proclaimed that he will stop condemning Dorje Shugden and I wonder what's next.

If I were the Dalai Lama, I think I would be starting dialogue with China again to discuss a possible pilgrimage to Tibet, to see his homeland, holy places in Gaden, Tashi Lhunpo, Kumbum and so forth. Now, the Chinese would probably seize this opportunity to request the Dalai Lama to stop making any political statements and perhaps retire completely from public appearances and state visits. Only then will they approve of his visit to China. I wonder if this is what's transpiring and the Dalai Lama is of course doing his best to appease the Chinese in this manner. Perhaps, even the Dalai Lama might have to retract the Dorje Shugden ban too. That would be so wonderful! I am fantasizing about this right now.

The Dalai Lama will have to personally lift the ban on Dorje Shugden, saying that he has made a mistake on his stance on Dorje Shugden due to the errors, and explain that Dorje Shugden is a Buddha after all and he apologizes to all the Dorje Shugden communities out there. That is the most likely way that the ban will end, because even if the Dalai Lama passes on, the impression of Dorje Shugden will still be strong in their minds unless the Dalai Lama smashes them up and creates a new impression of Dorje Shugden in their minds. Then, the ban will be truly lifted.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »
The Dalai Lama will have to personally lift the ban on Dorje Shugden, saying that he has made a mistake on his stance on Dorje Shugden due to the errors, and explain that Dorje Shugden is a Buddha after all and he apologizes to all the Dorje Shugden communities out there. That is the most likely way that the ban will end, because even if the Dalai Lama passes on, the impression of Dorje Shugden will still be strong in their minds unless the Dalai Lama smashes them up and creates a new impression of Dorje Shugden in their minds. Then, the ban will be truly lifted.

Well, I personally don't think that the Dalai Lama would just simply make an announcement that he had made a mistake and retract the ban. I don't think that it is a good idea at all because that would undermine his other instructions and teachings. I think what the Dalai Lama would do would be to say that in line with his policy of seeking self-autonomy, all religious governmental policies would have to be abolished in favor of self-autonomy. Hence, the Dorje Shugden ban would immediately be abolished because of this. That would be a better transition for the Dalai Lama. However, everything remains a speculation until the ban enforced is revoked.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
Well, I personally don't think that the Dalai Lama would just simply make an announcement that he had made a mistake and retract the ban. I don't think that it is a good idea at all because that would undermine his other instructions and teachings. I think what the Dalai Lama would do would be to say that in line with his policy of seeking self-autonomy, all religious governmental policies would have to be abolished in favor of self-autonomy. Hence, the Dorje Shugden ban would immediately be abolished because of this. That would be a better transition for the Dalai Lama. However, everything remains a speculation until the ban enforced is revoked.

The Dalai Lama has already said he was wrong about Dorje Shugden before and thought that he was good and then suddenly he realized that Dorje Shugden was bad. He even composed the prayer melody of the unceasing vajra for Dorje Shugden too. If he can be wrong back then, he can be wrong again now. If he can be wrog back then, then all his instructions and teachings since then would also be undermined, but his popularity and fame can easily eclipse that. People can easily follow what he says due to his fame and popularity so I dont really think it is a problem at all for him if he changes his stance on something all of a sudden. We can only speculate how the ban will be lifted, but we can also zero in on the most likely way that it will be so that we can have some hope :)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »
Another thing occurred to me about this: that any Tibetan who works for the independence of Tibet actually is going against the Dalai Lama's wishes directly and it also at the same time makes the Dalai Lama looks like a liar. The reason why China does not believe in the Dalai Lama's words of wanting autonomy and calls him a splittist is because  while the Dalai Lama champions for autonomy, the Tibetans, TYC and even CTA champions independence, making the Dalai Lama look like he is not sincere about his request and talks for autonomy. With this act, the CTA and TYC is directly making the Dalai Lama look like a liar, and they should really stop rangzen before it makes the Dalai Lama look worse.

bonfire

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »

The Dalai Lama has already said he was wrong about Dorje Shugden before and thought that he was good and then suddenly he realized that Dorje Shugden was bad. He even composed the prayer melody of the unceasing vajra for Dorje Shugden too. If he can be wrong back then, he can be wrong again now. If he can be wrog back then, then all his instructions and teachings since then would also be undermined, but his popularity and fame can easily eclipse that. People can easily follow what he says due to his fame and popularity so I dont really think it is a problem at all for him if he changes his stance on something all of a sudden. We can only speculate how the ban will be lifted, but we can also zero in on the most likely way that it will be so that we can have some hope :)

The Dalai lama indeed has already lost credit and made contradictory statements before, especially regarding the topic of Dorje Shugden, so why not being contradictory once more, but this time to fix things up, make peace with China and therefore participate to the effort from China to bring civil peace in Tibet once and for all!

hope rainbow

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »
The Dalai lama indeed has already lost credit and made contradictory statements before, especially regarding the topic of Dorje Shugden, so why not being contradictory once more, but this time to fix things up, make peace with China and therefore participate to the effort from China to bring civil peace in Tibet once and for all!

The very thought that His Holiness would give up his credibility and look like a fool, maybe a traitor by some extremists so that he could:

(A) definitely lift the ban,
(C) bring civil peace to his people in Tibet (and outside) for good (by undermining any further effort from any party fighting for an independance of Tibet),
(C) and then go to China (Tibet) to bless its people and the land before he leaves this world...

that very thought makes me rejoice, for it would be the last expression of the skillful enlightened actions of Chenrezig himself.
It would be a sacrifice of his reputation, it would be a huge clash... fo some time, but if properly done, it could be a stand for peace, it could be a stand for Dorje Shugden to come into the light.
Just as the last stand of the Dalai Lama, for we don't know if Chenrezig may or may not make his next rebirth relevant as a Dalai Lama...

But how? How could he do that?
This is only speculation of course, but he could negotiate with China for a pilgrimage back to Tibet (as discussed here above on this topic already), and therefore China would ask from him a number of things, amongst them perhaps:
(1) the removal of the ban,
(2) complete surrender of Tibetan affairs to the Chines governement,
(3) recognition of the Panchen Lama recognized by the Chinese authorities,
(4) why not even to remain in Tibet for the rest of his life?

The reality is that, FOR SURE, after His passing there is NOBODY, there is NO PARTY that can continue representing the Tibetan exhiled community when it comes to discuss Tibet with the Chinese authorities.There is NOONE!
My worry is very simple, in the future, if there is noone, but if we still have some extremist tibetans in exhile, the only way to "communicate" the cause (lost cause) of an independant Tibet would be terrorism, and that would hurt and damage the Tibetan culture, it would create ressentment towards ethnic Tibetan in China, it would also hurt Buddhism in the world because a lot of foreigners equate Tibetans and Buddhism and therefore watch their actions to form an opinion on Buddhism.
This would be ugly!

The Dalai Lama will not be there anymore, He would have to find a way to prevent this before he passes away.
Well... I don't know at all what will be done, I only speculate, but I am impatient to see what His Holiness next move will be, and I watch with faith.

hope rainbow

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »
Something else just crossed my mind, the Chinese authorities could also ask the Dalai Lama to make a statement that he would not take rebirth as a Dalai Lama anymore, making Him the last holding this title.
This would not contradict earlier statements made by His Holiness actually and would prove helpful to secure peace in Tibet.
Chenrezig would still take rebirth and emanate (He is a bodhisattva), but otherwise.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »

This is an interesting thread. I like what Big Uncle said - that all religious governmental policies would need to be abolished in order to be in line with the Chinese government's requirements for autonomy. This would be a diplomatic way out for the Dorje Shugden ban. The Dalai Lama would be seen to lift the ban to appease the Chinese, but the result would be that people will be able to practice freely.

Yes, everything is speculation for now. Who knows what Chenrezig would have planned... i am sure there are interesting developments coming up.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DS Star

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
This is indeed very interesting thread...

This is funny. This came right after the Dalai Lama expressed his unhappiness and displeasure against a parliamentary member for equating his middle way policy with independence in order to appease, perhaps, certain Tibetans who keep demanding for independence when the Dalai Lama has already made it very clear that autonomy is the way to go, and TYC has been organising rallies demanding independence and influencing international groups to do the same. It is only now that they realize what they have been doing is wrong and is against the Dalai Lama's wishes. ( a bit too late?) Whatever actions they do for independence counters the Dalai Lama.

Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC) is formed by young Tibetans for political reasons, not exactly for spiritual reason. Spiritual to these youths are more of a life style, an identity, which can be easily replaced by newly introduced Western cultures/ trends like rock songs, etc.

They are eager to tell the world of their struggles, the abuses and sufferings of their fellow country men and women. It is of survival and political matters, so they of course will not heed what Dalai Lama had been preaching since the beginning i.e. the Middle Way, and later to ask for greater autonomy instead of demanding for independence.

Now that the international political scene has changed, and China getting more influential due to its strong economy presence, the only way to go is to make peace with the China authority. To save some face, TYC is now changing the story to apologize to HHDL and to say that they had make mistakes, etc.

As for the Dorje Shugden's ban issue, in my opinion, HHDL is using it to make this practice more popular even to non-Buddhists. The communists Chinese never really encourage any religious practice but since this DS practice is becoming some sort of "anti-Dalai Lama" movement, they encourage it and even granted financial sipports to the temples that practice it. So, this situation is benefiting to the practitioners & followers of DS in China, though those in India and other parts of the world do suffer from this ban. Nevertheless, DS originated from Tibet and eventually all Tibetans would want to go back or at least visit their home land, so this core practice must has strong hold there, in order for this lineage to continue to future generations.

I believe in very near future, HHDL will lift the ban... when the time is right. Everything is about the timing.

whitelion

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »
TYC as the biggest NGO of Tibetan, they should know how the system works with CTA or HHDL. TYC will have no choice to make any decision because CTA or HHDL will use the spiritual cum political power to overwrite everything that doesn't goes their way and this is democracy as CTA claims.

Even though majority of Tibetan is not happy with CTA's policy but for this moment they dare not do anything that against HHDL, even though they know it's wrong. But this will not stay long, HHDL is consider in his high age, even though, HHDL is the emanation of Chenrezig but his holy body will still grow old, just imagine if one day HHDL enter clear light in this incarnation, the CTA will lost all their power to control the Tibetan inside and outside Tibet.

The best way to win peoples' heart or trust is to keep the promise to the people or bring benefits to the society but CTA have failed to performed these above, hence the noise from the Tibetan community is getting louder and louder.

Even though the situation seem control now and TYC seems agreed on the middle way policy for the moment but what will happen after HHDL passes ? (I'm not cursing HHDL but this will eventually happen one day much later) If the CTA not doing anything beneficial and unite the Tibetan, one day the will vanish.

Actually come and think about it, HHDL's is the only way to go for now and future, that's impossible to challenge China. If HHDL's wishes is to bring Dharma to all over the world, his dream have fulfilled, that's no point to go against the China as they are one of the fast growing country in the world. Instead of against their policy and Tibet will never get back what they want, why not goes along and follow China's requirement, it will be much easier for Tibetan for the future.

dsiluvu

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

The TYC apology came after the Dalai Lama's recent remarks concerning the organisation and the demand for complete independence, following which a handful of regional chapters had made calls for a change in the position of TYC from independence to seeking genuine autonomy.

However, sources said a resolution reinstating TYC's goal for complete independence of Tibet was adopted on a majority vote. In the next five days, the meeting will deopleiscuss issues related to the organisation's working objectives, and its future plans and programmes.

Special discussions will also be held on the critical situation in Tibet and aspirations of over 100 Tibetans, who have self-immolated protesting against the release of 11th Panchen Lama Gedhun Choekyi Nyima and measures to counter and prevent threats to the security of the Dalai Lama.

[/quote]

Hi DharmaSpace... would be good for you to state the source of this info and also exactly which date  this happened cos it is too coincidental this came up as soon as ds.com site put up the article of Dalai Lama losing Control http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/dalai-lama-loses-control/

If it is really right after that, I would say wow... the CTA must be watching this website closely. But if this happened before the recent events with TYC which is not agreeing and following HHDL's policy of autonomy. Then I would say... this news has no effect because TYC is indirectly going against HHDL wishes - period!

However it is interesting that HHDL is pushing for autonomy, perhaps a long term plan he has for Tibetan's future. Because if HHDL does not surrender/lose face to the Chinese for the sake of millions of his people, why not? He is after all Buddha of Compassion! The chances for Tibetan culture to survive and continue is higher if you become friends with China. When you become China's friend, they will allow you to build your monasteries, allowing us to spread Dharma... isn't this a much bigger objective then "independence"? I am sure HHDL have had it all worked out.

In this sense, Tibet being under China's ruling which allows freedom of religion and allows the practice of Dorje Shugden... there is nothing HHDL or CTA can say... and well the ban will be automatically be dissolved.  NO MORE BAN!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »

Hi DharmaSpace... would be good for you to state the source of this info and also exactly which date  this happened cos it is too coincidental this came up as soon as ds.com site put up the article of Dalai Lama losing Control http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/dalai-lama-loses-control/

If it is really right after that, I would say wow... the CTA must be watching this website closely. But if this happened before the recent events with TYC which is not agreeing and following HHDL's policy of autonomy. Then I would say... this news has no effect because TYC is indirectly going against HHDL wishes - period!

However it is interesting that HHDL is pushing for autonomy, perhaps a long term plan he has for Tibetan's future. Because if HHDL does not surrender/lose face to the Chinese for the sake of millions of his people, why not? He is after all Buddha of Compassion! The chances for Tibetan culture to survive and continue is higher if you become friends with China. When you become China's friend, they will allow you to build your monasteries, allowing us to spread Dharma... isn't this a much bigger objective then "independence"? I am sure HHDL have had it all worked out.

In this sense, Tibet being under China's ruling which allows freedom of religion and allows the practice of Dorje Shugden... there is nothing HHDL or CTA can say... and well the ban will be automatically be dissolved.  NO MORE BAN!

The incident really happened after the Dalai Lama spoke up against Karma Chopel for saying that the middle way approach is a mask for independence. It was then where the Dalai Lama has reaffirmed his policy on middle way (but why not before? Especially when everyone seems to be rallying for an independent Tibet and even using the Dalai Lama's name for it?) but only now? And TYC apologize now, almost immediately after that incident, and after disregarding HHDL's middle way approach for decades and basically causing whatever progress the CTA or HHDL has with talks with China to be undone. They also harmed HHDL's reputation by making him look inconsistent (well, China would assume that HHDL has say and influence over the TYC) so yeah, their actions help delay the independence of Tibet.