Author Topic: The Dalai Lama’s picture at Shar Ganden  (Read 11176 times)

Ensapa

• Email
The Dalai Lama’s picture at Shar Ganden
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
Here's a nice article on how we can be Dorje Shugden practitioners without going against the Dalai Lama. It does reflect very clearly that it is not necessary for us to hate the Dalai Lama even though he is the cause of the Dorje Shugden ban. His picture can still be on our altar, alongside with Dorje Shugden's statue. I personally find such stories to be very endearing and it shows us a live example on how to focus on Dharma practice while having our Dharma practice under siege.

Labeled by the Dalai Lama as traitors and Chinese spies, no Tibetan shopkeepers would supply Shar Ganden with their daily necessities, and often the monks had to travel as far as 54 kilometers to the nearest Indian town of Hubli to get even the most basic of provisions. For all intent and purposes, the Dalai Lama ought to have been the spiritual nemesis for monks like Tenzin. Yet in spite of all these, many monks of Shar Ganden continue to hold the Dalai Lama in the highest regard, and continue to show their devotion to His Holiness by placing his photograph on their personal altars.

A beautiful example indeed that we should all follow :)

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/the-dalai-lamas-picture-at-shar-ganden/

lotus1

Re: The Dalai Lama’s picture at Shar Ganden
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »
Thank you for sharing. I have been to Shar Gaden and I saw the monks there are very respectful to HH Dalai Lama too although they are not agreeable to the ban. For them, HH Dalai Lama is one of the lineage Gurus. It clearly shows that they are true practitioners that focus on spiritual practice and respect to all their lineage Gurus. This also proves that Dorje Shugden that they are practicing is not an evil spirit that will teach them on such nobility.

Tammy

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
Here's a nice article on how we can be Dorje Shugden practitioners without going against the Dalai Lama. It does reflect very clearly that it is not necessary for us to hate the Dalai Lama even though he is the cause of the Dorje Shugden ban. His picture can still be on our altar, alongside with Dorje Shugden's statue. I personally find such stories to be very endearing and it shows us a live example on how to focus on Dharma practice while having our Dharma practice under siege.

Thank you for your view which I totally agree.
Furthermore, I believe HHDL MUST have a reason or reasons to ban DS practice; and we would soon know why.
HHDL is and will be close to my heart as the presentative of compassion.
Namaste
Down with the BAN!!!

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
These monks of Shar Gaden still have a lot of respect for HHDL and the proof is that the photograph of His Holiness is placed on their personal altar. The fact these monks are practicing Dorje Shugden despite the ban imposed by HHDL is due to the fact that DS practice have been given to them by their teachers and not because they intended to go against His Holiness. This is real guru devotion. To me, the hatred is more on the side of the non DS practitioners and shopkeepers who refused to have any dealing with the DS followers. I have the highest respect for HHDL too, and I pray the time would come very soon that His Holiness would say it is perfectly alright to practice Dorje Shugden.

dondrup

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
His Holiness 14th Dalai Lama and the past Dalai Lamas have been the spiritual as well as political leaders of Tibet.  It has become customary for all Tibetans to have the portrait of His Holiness on the altar.  It is a sign of respect as well as an object of veneration.  The Tibetans will pay homage to HH Dalai Lama's image on the altar because His Holiness is considered an emanation of Buddha Chenrezig. 

Despite being banned and outcast by HH Dalai Lama for practising Dorje Shugden, monks at Shar Gaden still display the same veneration to HH Dalai Lama as before the ban!  This act of veneration never change during the period of the ban.  We should rejoice for this monk's devotion and veneration!  The monk had shown an exemplary Dharma practice!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
No matter what, this is the approach that I do prefer: practice Dorje Shugden while having respect to the Dalai Lama but not agreeing to his ban. It makes more sense and it does help us more with our own Dharma practice in more ways than one. It would not be wise to go to the extreme of hating the Dalai Lama and damaging his reputation because that will not benefit our own Dharma practice in any way, if any, it will only make things worse at the end of the day. I feel that the great monks and lineage holders of Shar Ganden are showing us all a very strong example of what Dorje Shugden practitioners should do.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
I would say in general all the monks and person who practices Dorje Shugden still respect HHTDL. I do not see why we should hate him and promote schism towards the Dalai Lama. After all as a true practitioner of Buddism we do not endure or promote anger or hatred among each other, so i am not surprised that are Dalai Lama's picture to be seen in Shar Gaden Monastery.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:38:26 AM »
I would say in general all the monks and person who practices Dorje Shugden still respect HHTDL. I do not see why we should hate him and promote schism towards the Dalai Lama. After all as a true practitioner of Buddism we do not endure or promote anger or hatred among each other, so i am not surprised that are Dalai Lama's picture to be seen in Shar Gaden Monastery.

There are many Dorje Shugden practitioners who are bitter about the whole issue and do blame the Dalai Lama for the cause and try to ruin his reputation in order to lift the ban, despite what is being shown here and despite what this forum champions for. We also need to differentiate between speaking up against the Dalai Lama and actually trying to bring his reputation down with rumors as these are different things and not confuse the two actions. Personally, I still respect the Dalai Lama, because without him, my Guru would not have been able to be educated at the  monasteries and not have  been able to meet me and teach as it was the Dalai Lama who established them.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
It is shown that many of these Shugden monks still respect HH DL very much. And they practice DS because it is being given to them by their gurus. It shows us what true guru devotion is.

Although these monks might be against HH DL's action about the ban, they still regard him as a lineage Guru.

From what I understand, there are still DS practitioners that attend HH DL's teaching, but they would leave during initiation as a respect towards him. And I heard that it is alright to go for HH DL's teachings, and DS practitioners are allowed to go for the teachings.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:19:17 AM »
It is shown that many of these Shugden monks still respect HH DL very much. And they practice DS because it is being given to them by their gurus. It shows us what true guru devotion is.

Although these monks might be against HH DL's action about the ban, they still regard him as a lineage Guru.

From what I understand, there are still DS practitioners that attend HH DL's teaching, but they would leave during initiation as a respect towards him. And I heard that it is alright to go for HH DL's teachings, and DS practitioners are allowed to go for the teachings.

Yes this is true. There is no problems with Dorje Shugden practitioners attending the Dalai Lama's teachings but not initiations. However, there are some Lamas out there who are overzealous to show everyone that they are with the Dalai Lama's camp to exclude Dorje Shugden practitioners from even the Lamrim teachings who are not tantric at all in nature. So if they want to follow the Dalai Lama in his ban on Dorje Shugden, why cant they do it in a way where it is not extreme or out of context? The Dalai Lama never announced that Dorje Shugden practitioners cannot attend his sutra teachings, only the tantric ones, but why are there lamas who bar Dorje Shugden practitioners from attending their sutra teachings?

kris

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
Thank you for sharing this article, I really like this and personally I have been to old monk's houses in Shar Gaden and Serpom Monastery, most of them has HH Dalai Lama's photo on their altar. The still respect HH Dalai Lama very much. It shows many of Dorje Shugden practitioners really just want to practice real Dharma and put the politics aside. But if you look at the CTA "controlled" monks, they focus on getting other monks to swear in, and have this ban and show no compassion to the other monks.

It is time for all monks to focus on spreading the Dharma instead of politicing...

jagger

• For the love of Shugden
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »

Labeled by the Dalai Lama as traitors and Chinese spies, no Tibetan shopkeepers would supply Shar Ganden with their daily necessities, and often the monks had to travel as far as 54 kilometers to the nearest Indian town of Hubli to get even the most basic of provisions. For all intent and purposes, the Dalai Lama ought to have been the spiritual nemesis for monks like Tenzin. Yet in spite of all these, many monks of Shar Ganden continue to hold the Dalai Lama in the highest regard, and continue to show their devotion to His Holiness by placing his photograph on their personal altars.

A beautiful example indeed that we should all follow :)

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/the-dalai-lamas-picture-at-shar-ganden/

True practitioners of Buddhism does not take whatever situations or teachings on a superficial level. Rather, they look into the matter on many levels to see what matters most. Of course, there is a suppression on Dorje Shugden and all its practitioners but it does not affect practitioners as much as the normal laity who have no proper exposure of Buddhism especially in the Tibetan tradition.

It is heartwarming and definitely an affirmation to know that HHDL's pictures are still worshipped within the walls and chapels of Shar Gaden Monastery. A loud statement for all followers of HHDL to know that the ban does not waver their faith in HHDL at all. Some even see how compassionate HHDL is in creating the ban of Dorje Shugden to benefit others on the long term.

With this piece of news, it is evident also that Dorje Shugden practitioners are not destruction loving people, rather, they are real spiritual enthusiasts who love the Dharma
Jaggerboy

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
Thank you for sharing this article, I really like this and personally I have been to old monk's houses in Shar Gaden and Serpom Monastery, most of them has HH Dalai Lama's photo on their altar. The still respect HH Dalai Lama very much. It shows many of Dorje Shugden practitioners really just want to practice real Dharma and put the politics aside. But if you look at the CTA "controlled" monks, they focus on getting other monks to swear in, and have this ban and show no compassion to the other monks.

It is time for all monks to focus on spreading the Dharma instead of politicing...

As we can see, the Dorje Shugden monks are much  more advanced in their Dharma practice compared to the ones who are not (in general, of course.) because they have the best conditions for them to test out their Dharma practice and for them to apply what they have learnt, and what is nice is that they do apply it by showing that they do not have any animosity towards the Dalai Lama in any way, proving once and for all that Dorje Shugden practitioners are peace loving practitioners who really do apply the Buddha's teachings.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Yes I agree that DS monks have the best place to practice dharma now. As many may not recognized what they do and even plan to assassinate them, but they practice compassion and forgive these people, praying for them to have good rebirth in their next life.

I really do not understand why some monks want to take the ban so seriously till they even ban DS practitioners to step into their temples or centres. These are supposed places to spread dharma, and by banning some people from going, what does this show?

If they really support the ban and DL, they should just say that DS practitioners to not go for tantric teachings. Instead of not welcoming DS practitioners at all.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 03:23:44 AM »
Yes I agree that DS monks have the best place to practice dharma now. As many may not recognized what they do and even plan to assassinate them, but they practice compassion and forgive these people, praying for them to have good rebirth in their next life.

I really do not understand why some monks want to take the ban so seriously till they even ban DS practitioners to step into their temples or centres. These are supposed places to spread dharma, and by banning some people from going, what does this show?

If they really support the ban and DL, they should just say that DS practitioners to not go for tantric teachings. Instead of not welcoming DS practitioners at all.

Because they believe that if they take the ban seriously, the Dalai Lama would love them and they will get more benefits, influence and power. And a happier afterlife, not for the reasons stipulated that they really want to perserve the purity of the Dharma. Thus, they would resort to non Dharma means to achieve it. That is the only reason why are they so fanatical against Dorje Shugden. It is sad to see that they are more interested in their own gains and not for Dharma and not for the growth of Buddhism