Author Topic: NEW ARTICLE! Dharma Demystified: Trikaya – The Three Bodies of a Buddha  (Read 14294 times)

DharmaDefender

See I always thought that my lama was in nirmanakaya form and Dorje Shugden was in sambhogakaya form (because I cant perceive him like I can perceive my lama). But it seems according to this article he is in nirmanakaya form...I think this articles definitely more accurate than Wikipedia! It seems like their starting up a new series on DorjeShugden.com. I hope it continues because its helping me to understand Dharma topics that I never knew before.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/dharma-demystified-trikaya-the-three-bodies-of-a-buddha/

vajrastorm

Yes, I like this series that ds.com has started - "Dharma Demystified". Here it's the three bodies of the fully Enlightened Being that are being demystified. The three bodies are the Dharmakaya(the Truth Body), the Sambhogakaya(the Enjoyment Body), the Nirmanakaya(the Emanation Body).

Manjushri often appeared in His Sambhogaya Form to Lama Tsongkhapa  and talked to him. In this way,Manjushri gave Lama Tsongkhapa an infinite amount of teachings of both sutra and tantra. Tulkus are a manifestation of the Nirmanakaya form and they come in a line of reincarnations.  So, we have many examples of emanations of great Masters who are tulkus.

Dorje Shugden appears in various peaceful and wrathful Nirmanakaya forms. He chooses to manifest in  mundane forms so that we can connect to the Enlightened Being( that is Manjushri) more easily. We are fortunate to have an affinity with Him and to connect to Him, through our Gurus, and to enjoy his continuous care and protection. As a Protector of Je Tsongkhapa's teachings, so very necessary for this degenerate age, we are most fortunate to be of the Gelug/Je Tsongkhapa's Lineage, and to receive Dorje Shugden's practice to support our Dharma practice.

Ensapa

• Email
I really like this new article series that is based a lot on Dharma. Dorjeshugden.com needs more Dharma related articles and this series would fill in that void with the Dharma articles. We definitely need to educate more people about the Dharma in addition to Dorje Shugden, because Dorje Shugden is the Dharma and thus it would only make sense to promote Dharma alongside with him. I really applaud this move by the Dorje Shugden website to publish articles like these! more more more!

Big Uncle

It's a nice and informative article, isn't it. I think it has cleared some misconceptions about the difference between what we perceive of the deities like Dorje Shugden, Manjushri and the rest of us. Just because we cannot perceive Dorje Shugden right now doesn't mean he is in the Sambhogakaya form. I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that Dorje Shugden and the Dalai Lama are both in Nirmanakaya form. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what form the Buddha chooses to emanate, by the force of the Buddha's compassion, the Buddha will reveal his compassion and wisdom through his various emanations. Dorje Shugden is just one of millions but for our karma and time, he is one of the most effective for out time.

DharmaDefender

I wrote a comment on the article but Ill leave it here too, in case Steve doesnt see it there. I was wondering maybe if he could elaborate on the reasons why we cannot perceive Buddhas in their various forms? I know he said karma, affinity and attainments level but Dorje Shugden appears to us in nirmanakaya form, like our Gurus. So why is it we can perceive our Gurus, but not the Dharma Protector?

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
I really like this article, it educates the readers more about Dharma. I would like to read more articles like this, not only articles that are not really Dorje Shugden based. I feel that there are many out there that go to DS.com to read not only about our Protector Dorje Shugden, but also to increase in their knowledge. Getting to know more about Dharma and the Gelug lineage.

Ensapa

• Email
I wrote a comment on the article but Ill leave it here too, in case Steve doesnt see it there. I was wondering maybe if he could elaborate on the reasons why we cannot perceive Buddhas in their various forms? I know he said karma, affinity and attainments level but Dorje Shugden appears to us in nirmanakaya form, like our Gurus. So why is it we can perceive our Gurus, but not the Dharma Protector?

Because the Gurus are human, while the Buddhas are not exactly in human form. Even amongst humans, not everyone can perceive spirits, and Dorje Shugden's nirmanakaya form is that of one so that he is closer to us, and yet it does not obstruct  his activities to benefit. It also means that in this form, he can see us, but we cannot see him unless we have the 3rd eye or have an extremely strong affinity with him as what we can see or perceive also depends on our karma, dispositions and affinity.

lotus1

Thanks for sharing this informative article. Learned more about the three body of a fully enlightened Buddha – Dharmakaya ??, Sambhogakaya ?? and Nirmanakaya ??.
Dorje Shugden appears in various peaceful and wrathful Nirmanakaya forms. This shows that Dorje Shugden is definitely not a spirits. It is a Manjushri that when we pray and be connected to him, we can have the wisdom of Manjushri.
The prayer of Lord Shugden by the current incarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen says it all...  http://www.dorjeshugden.com/prayers/dorje-shugden-prayers/a-prayer-by-the-current-incarnation-of-tulku-drakpa-gyeltsen/
I am grateful to my Guru that give me the chance to be connected to him.

christine V

• Email
See I always thought that my lama was in nirmanakaya form and Dorje Shugden was in sambhogakaya form (because I cant perceive him like I can perceive my lama). But it seems according to this article he is in nirmanakaya form...I think this articles definitely more accurate than Wikipedia! It seems like their starting up a new series on DorjeShugden.com. I hope it continues because its helping me to understand Dharma topics that I never knew before.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/dharma-demystified-trikaya-the-three-bodies-of-a-buddha/

Agree . This article and the knowledge in it is definately hard to find elsewhere. The summary is very details.

dondrup

Buddha Vajradhara had said in the Buddhist tantras that all spiritual guides are emanations of Buddhas.  Buddhas have the power to manifest in whatever animate or inanimate forms necessary to benefit every single sentient being. In animate forms, Buddhas manifest as Dharmakaya, Sambhogakayas or Nimanakayas.  Dorje Shugden who is an emanation of Buddha Manjushri is the same nature with Buddha Manjushri.  Since our spiritual guide, yidam and Dharma Protector are of one nature of great bliss and emptiness, our spiritual guide is non other than Buddha Dorje Shugden appearing as in a Nimanakaya form!

Ensapa

• Email
let me just break it down in simple terms: if Dorje Shugden's previous incarnations are highly attained lamas, and whose incarnation line started with Virupa, a mahasiddha, which in turn is an emanation of Manjushri, then wouldnt it make Dorje Shugden an emanation of Manjushri as well? Besides, it also makes the claim that some people assert that Dorje Shugden is a worldly spirit because that is spitting in the face of the Buddhas teachings: if such a high practitioner can degenerate into a spirit, what else is holy?

yontenjamyang

• Email
I don't see how the Protector Dorje Shugden has emanated in the Nirmanakaya form.  For clarity, the Sambhogakaya form is usually the one we propitiate in the form of a thangka, picture of statue. The protector is the Buddha Manjushri in the protector form but his is still in the Sambhogakaya form. As a protector, he is closer to beings due to the obscurations of being, similar to a government official is closer to the king's subject than the King himself.
The only possible form of Nirmanakaya is in the form of the Guru. If we regard the Guru as the embodiment of the Buddhas, Yidam and Protector, then we have the Protector in the Nirmanakaya form.

Ensapa

• Email
I don't see how the Protector Dorje Shugden has emanated in the Nirmanakaya form.  For clarity, the Sambhogakaya form is usually the one we propitiate in the form of a thangka, picture of statue. The protector is the Buddha Manjushri in the protector form but his is still in the Sambhogakaya form. As a protector, he is closer to beings due to the obscurations of being, similar to a government official is closer to the king's subject than the King himself.
The only possible form of Nirmanakaya is in the form of the Guru. If we regard the Guru as the embodiment of the Buddhas, Yidam and Protector, then we have the Protector in the Nirmanakaya form.

The Guru is always the embodiment of the Yidam and Protector at the same time because without his blessings we would not be able to even practice the protector's teachings nor be able to even learn about his practice at all, so there is no protector without the Guru. The Guru also embodies the Dharma protector as he takes the pains to actually help us purify our negative karma or absorb them himself so that we do not to suffer, or prescribe practices that help us get rid of our negative karma. So in a way, he is OUR Dharma protector.

DSFriend

It is interesting to read about the different forms of a Budddha. In other faith such as Christianity, what i find interesting also is that the Trinity is taught as well and in Buddhism, we have the Trikaya.

The Dharmakaya - Truth Body of a fully enlightened Buddha, the mind of a fully enlightened being, beyond physical appearance and sensory perception.

Sambhogakaya form - enlightened mind takes on physical attributes and usually appears beautiful, ‘celestial’

Nirmanakaya form or Emanation Body -  appears in a gross physical body like a worldly god or a human being

One of the topics which got me thinking quite a bit and fascinates me is exactly this topic emanations, incarnations, stem from an already enlightened Buddha. As mentioned in the article,  there can be successive line of incarnations. I have also read stories of their great feats such as Lama Tsongkhapa, Atisha, H.H. Trijang Rinpoche, and even Prince Siddharta was not ordinary when he was born.

We as samsaric and unenlightened beings comes from the other tangent, seemingly having to work our way out/up..while the above mentioned beings come from a different tangent, enlightened mind coming again in just a different form to display unique qualities and carry out compassionate acts. It is wonderful to read about the great feats of these beings however, often times, it seems so impossible and to work our way out of samsara seems far away…similar to a black sheep trying to become a white sheep!Keeping in mind and having faith that the white sheep gene or rather Buddha nature in each and everyone of us is absolutely necessary and may Dorje Shugden help to keep us on the path.

Galen

• Email
Steve Lee has made this topic easier to understand. Thank you.
Now I understand that there are three forms of Buddha. Buddha is so compassionate that he emanates into various forms to help all beings. I believe that my guru is an emanation of Buddha in Nirmanakaya form as he is here to help so many people. I have also always thought that Dorje Shugden is in the form of Sambhogakaya but in actual fact, he is in the form Nirmanakaya. Maybe that's why we humans can access him through an oracle. How compassionate Dorje Shugden.

Dorje Shugden also appeared from the strong aspirations of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen (TDG), so at that time, TDG is already in Nirmanakaya form as he incarnates back until he becomes Dorje Shugden.