Author Topic: NEW ARTICLE! Dharma Demystified: Trikaya – The Three Bodies of a Buddha  (Read 14290 times)

DSFriend

Great article and thanks for sharing it. The article is written very clearly to explain the Trikaya. Especially in Tibetan Buddhism, the common comment towards Tibetan Buddhism is why are there a pantheon of Buddhas with so many looks, colors, forms and names as well as the great importance we place on lamas, placing them higher in regards than even the Buddhas. This article gives very good insights to demystify this often misunderstood topic.

See I always thought that my lama was in nirmanakaya form and Dorje Shugden was in sambhogakaya form (because I cant perceive him like I can perceive my lama). But it seems according to this article he is in nirmanakaya form...I think this articles definitely more accurate than Wikipedia! It seems like their starting up a new series on DorjeShugden.com. I hope it continues because its helping me to understand Dharma topics that I never knew before.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/dharma-demystified-trikaya-the-three-bodies-of-a-buddha/

pgdharma

Thank you for sharing. This article gave a clear explanation on the Trikaya. Buddha is very compassionate and He emanates in many form to benefit sentients beings.

From this information, our spiritual guide is in the form of Nirmanakaya form as due to his compassion, he emanates in this form so that he can reach out to benefit all sentient beings.

Due to the strong aspiration of the previous incarnation of Tulku Drapka Gyelsten, Dorje Shugden is also an emanations of Dorje Shugden and we are fortunate to be connected through our Holy Protector through the oracle.

fruven

Very appreciate the author who has summarized the Buddhas forms, the Dharmakaya, the Sambhogakaya, and Nirmanakaya. The Nirmanakaya is the form the samsara beings like us, the wordly gods, the spirits, the animals can see. Even in Nirmanakaya appearing as a worldly god, for us human, we cannot perceive them. Only when they emanate in human form then we can see them directly. However in a human form, without much knowledge ourselves, can we know they are of enlightened mind?

pgdharma

I agree that not everyone can perceive spirits or Dorje Shugden, even though they can see us. However, if we have the merits and due to the kindness of Dorje Shugden, we can have a connection or contact with him through an oracle and that is the nearest we can get.
I wrote a comment on the article but Ill leave it here too, in case Steve doesnt see it there. I was wondering maybe if he could elaborate on the reasons why we cannot perceive Buddhas in their various forms? I know he said karma, affinity and attainments level but Dorje Shugden appears to us in nirmanakaya form, like our Gurus. So why is it we can perceive our Gurus, but not the Dharma Protector?

Because the Gurus are human, while the Buddhas are not exactly in human form. Even amongst humans, not everyone can perceive spirits, and Dorje Shugden's nirmanakaya form is that of one so that he is closer to us, and yet it does not obstruct  his activities to benefit. It also means that in this form, he can see us, but we cannot see him unless we have the 3rd eye or have an extremely strong affinity with him as what we can see or perceive also depends on our karma, dispositions and affinity.

fruven

I wrote a comment on the article but Ill leave it here too, in case Steve doesnt see it there. I was wondering maybe if he could elaborate on the reasons why we cannot perceive Buddhas in their various forms? I know he said karma, affinity and attainments level but Dorje Shugden appears to us in nirmanakaya form, like our Gurus. So why is it we can perceive our Gurus, but not the Dharma Protector?

Guru is in a human form in human realm. Dharma Protector is in a worldly god form. We cannot perceive god or goddess unless we have the third eye. Therefore we cannot perceive Dharma Protector as well unless we are born into god realms.

Jessie Fong

Thank you for this article giving an explanation of the 3 Bodies of a Buddha.

Our spiritual guide (our Guru/Lama) is in the Nirmanakaya form due to his compassion to benefit all beings. It is in this form that we as ordinary beings are able to perceive Him.  Just like HHDL who is Avalokiteshvara.

pgdharma

I don't see how the Protector Dorje Shugden has emanated in the Nirmanakaya form.  For clarity, the Sambhogakaya form is usually the one we propitiate in the form of a thangka, picture of statue. The protector is the Buddha Manjushri in the protector form but his is still in the Sambhogakaya form. As a protector, he is closer to beings due to the obscurations of being, similar to a government official is closer to the king's subject than the King himself.
The only possible form of Nirmanakaya is in the form of the Guru. If we regard the Guru as the embodiment of the Buddhas, Yidam and Protector, then we have the Protector in the Nirmanakaya form.

Dorje Shugden is an emanation in Nirmanakaya form can be explained by DS communicating to us humans through an Oracle. So this is an example of this higher beings being close to us.

Jessie Fong

See I always thought that my lama was in nirmanakaya form and Dorje Shugden was in sambhogakaya form (because I cant perceive him like I can perceive my lama). But it seems according to this article he is in nirmanakaya form...I think this articles definitely more accurate than Wikipedia! It seems like their starting up a new series on DorjeShugden.com. I hope it continues because its helping me to understand Dharma topics that I never knew before.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/dharma-demystified-trikaya-the-three-bodies-of-a-buddha/

We visualise our Guru as one with Yidam and Protector, then it will be also be perceiving our Protector in the Nirmanakaya form.

We are able to make our connection with the Protector through this kindness of the Oracle who is our "go-between" communicating our requests and giving us further instructions/replies.

Galen

• Email
I don't see how the Protector Dorje Shugden has emanated in the Nirmanakaya form.  For clarity, the Sambhogakaya form is usually the one we propitiate in the form of a thangka, picture of statue. The protector is the Buddha Manjushri in the protector form but his is still in the Sambhogakaya form. As a protector, he is closer to beings due to the obscurations of being, similar to a government official is closer to the king's subject than the King himself.
The only possible form of Nirmanakaya is in the form of the Guru. If we regard the Guru as the embodiment of the Buddhas, Yidam and Protector, then we have the Protector in the Nirmanakaya form.

Dorje Shugden is an emanation in Nirmanakaya form can be explained by DS communicating to us humans through an Oracle. So this is an example of this higher beings being close to us.

I totally agree that the Oracle in which Dorje Shugden communicates through confirms that DS is in Nirmanakaya form. So compassionate of the King to be near us to help us.

Ensapa

• Email
I agree that not everyone can perceive spirits or Dorje Shugden, even though they can see us. However, if we have the merits and due to the kindness of Dorje Shugden, we can have a connection or contact with him through an oracle and that is the nearest we can get.

Or, you can connect to Dorje Shudgen by being sincere in the Dharma and you will generate the merits to meet him and see him. You can also access him through your Guru when he gives you the blessings to do his Dharma practice when you request from him. But since he is not a Yidam or a Buddha, his presence and his activities can be felt faster than if you were to ask the help of Manjushri, for example. This is one of the wonders of Dorje Shugden as a Dharma protector that is all 3 forms, in reality.

goldengirl

Thanks for sharing this informative article, now i know why not everyone can perceive buddhas in their dharmakaya or sambogakaya forms unless they have certain affinity or reached a certain level of attainments. Like what some people can see  Lama Gangchen as medicine buddha  but to me, i only see him as a healing lama in human form and also HH Dalai  lama as a highly attained holy monk instead of the emanation of Chenrezig.

Ensapa

• Email
This is a very interesting writeup that you have here, Manisha. Yes, ultimately, the 3 kayas are one and the same but they are only different due to our perception and also needs. So why is exactly Dorje Shugden a nimanakaya and not sambogakaya? Because Sambogakhaya bodies are more for people with a certain amount of attainments, but not enough to perceieve a Buddha directly, to perceive them and get teachings from. Yidams are like more accessible buddhas. Dorje Shugden is nimanakaya because he is taking a form that can be easily accessible to us all.

samayakeeper

• Email
So much dharma knowledge and sharing is easily available in this website even though it may appear to some new readers that this is just only for the propagation of Dorje Shugden's practice. It is but look at the wealth of dharma information contents. Thank you!