Author Topic: Tiger Woods Raised a Buddhist Will Now Actively Practise  (Read 11335 times)

icy

Tiger Woods Raised a Buddhist Will Now Actively Practise
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:18:42 AM »
(CNN) -- When Tiger Woods invoked his religious faith during his public apology on Friday, he readily acknowledged that a lot of people would be surprised.
"People probably don't realize it," he said, "but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years."

But Woods said his Buddhist faith would be a key part of his quest to put his life back together after revelations of his marital infidelity, which he admitted for the first time. Buddhist experts said Woods' summation of the tradition's beliefs was accurate -- and that his remarks likely will bring more attention to the faith in a week when its highest profile leader, the Dalai Lama, is visiting the United States.

"I have a lot of work to do, and I intend to dedicate myself to doing it," Woods said, reading a statement from Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. "Part of following this path for me is Buddhism, which my mother taught me at a young age."

"Buddhism teaches that a craving of things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security," he continued. "It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint. Obviously, I lost track of what I was taught."

A handful of Buddhist scholars said Woods' description of Buddhist teaching was spot on. "Woods was quite accurate," said Janet Gyatso, a professor of Buddhist studies at Harvard University. "Craving causes unhappiness. That's a fundamental Buddhist idea."

A 1996 Sports Illustrated profile suggested that Woods -- then in his early 20s -- took his faith seriously. He visited a Buddhist temple with his mother each year around his birthday, slept near a mother-of-pearl Buddha from his Thai grandfather, and wore a gold Buddha around his neck, according to the profile. Woods' mother, Kultilda, is a Thai-born Buddhist.

"I like Buddhism because it's a whole way of being and living," Tiger Woods told Sports Illustrated. "It's based on discipline and respect and personal responsibility. I like Asian culture better than ours because of that."

When allegations of Woods' infidelity began emerging after a November 27 car accident, Fox News Channel host Brit Hume stirred controversy by publicly advising the golf pro to become a Christian.

"He's said to be a Buddhist -- I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith," Hume said. "So my message to Tiger would be: Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world."

But Buddhist scholars say that forgiveness and redemption are core components of the faith. "You're always beginning again in the Buddhist tradition," said John Kornfield, a prominent Buddhist teacher based in California. "You see that you're causing harm, you repent and ask forgiveness in some formal or informal way, and you start again."

Some Buddhism experts said that's what Woods appeared to be trying to do today. Many Buddhists applauded Woods' statement. "The fact that people could see this kind of behavior causes suffering is an incredibly important message for all kinds of people who respect Woods," said Kornfield.

Buddhism was in the spotlight this week before Woods' remarks, with the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama -- a Buddhist -- meeting with President Obama in Washington on Thursday.
Buddhism is among the world's largest religions, with about 350 million adherents, including about 1.2 million in the United States, according to a 2009 report by Trinity College. The faith began in India about 2,500 years ago.

Rihanna

Re: Tiger Woods Raised a Buddhist Will Now Actively Practise
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »

OMG! I have just read this on http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/04/tiger-woods-now-claims-affairs-were-part-of-his-buddhist-tantric-practice/

Vanity Fair is set to reveal new details about Tiger Woods and his many affairs (the cover above is from a previous issue in which they profiled the embattled golfer prior to the scandal becoming public in November) – from mouths of the women with whom he slept.

Early Thursday morning, Woods came forward with a new explanation of his actions.

“If you will remember my recent press conference, I told all of you that I had not been living up to the Buddhist faith with I was raised,” Woods began. “Well, that’s not entirely the truth. Over the years I did move away from the Zen Buddhism of my mother and more toward the Vajrayana Buddhist tradition of Tibet. This change in my path was dictated in part by my admiration for the Dalai Lama and his clear, calm compassion.”

“But I would be lying if I did not admit that the tantric sexual practices had something to do with it. I had outgrown sitting meditations, deity visualizations, while both guru yoga and death yoga failed to advance my enlightenment. So I sought out a tantric master living in Bhutan and received a series of tantric transmissions from him.”

Woods is referring to a centuries old Buddhist practice that involves “sacred sex” with consorts who are little more than props for the male while he moves subtle energy through his chakras to purify his body and focus his mind. This is considered the highest form of tantra and is rarely practiced by anyone but the most advanced students of Buddhism.

“My initiation into tantra occurred just prior to the years of 2000-2001, when I won all four of the Grand Slams in a row. You figure it out.” His four straight Grand Slam victories are now called the “Tiger Slam” because they did not occur during one calendar year.

“Many of my fans and competitors have wondered how I achieve such diamond-point focus on the golf course. Well, this highly secret and advanced Buddhist practice has been my secret weapon over the years. The women are only tools to an end. They meant nothing to me, and I don’t even remember most of their names, if I’m being honest.”

Many of the women have claimed Tiger loved them and wanted to be with them, so it remains to be seen how they will respond to these newest revelations.

“So I apologize for misleading you, but seriously, I did not want Phil to figure this out and try it for himself.”

Woods concluded his brief statements by saying, “I am returning to simple meditation from now on, as a way to honor my wife and children. Besides, I have accrued so much power by now that there’s little I can’t do on the golf course, bitches.”

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »
One of the vows of Buddhism of every school is "No sexual misconduct". Tiger woods has obviously broken that. In Buddhism one can repent, resolve and promise not to do it again, change their motivation to benefit others and repair that damage with mantras or ritual or have the one hurts (his wife and family) to forgive him; then he can restart his practice and be a real practicing buddhist. In that way, he can move forward. Obviously, Buddhist has "solutions" for this. It is the most complete of religion.

diablo1974

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »
There's no condemnation in Buddhism. We confess, repent and make make remedy through out faith in the Triple Gems. There are many cases of misleading buddhist views by non buddhist as read in the story by the Fox Newschannel host.  Luckily it was pointed out in the later part.

hope rainbow

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
LOL
Let's be clear, this was an April's fool edition.
Tiger never actually claimed any of the below.

OMG! I have just read this on http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013/04/tiger-woods-now-claims-affairs-were-part-of-his-buddhist-tantric-practice/

Vanity Fair is set to reveal new details about Tiger Woods and his many affairs (the cover above is from a previous issue in which they profiled the embattled golfer prior to the scandal becoming public in November) – from mouths of the women with whom he slept.

Early Thursday morning, Woods came forward with a new explanation of his actions.

“If you will remember my recent press conference, I told all of you that I had not been living up to the Buddhist faith with I was raised,” Woods began. “Well, that’s not entirely the truth. Over the years I did move away from the Zen Buddhism of my mother and more toward the Vajrayana Buddhist tradition of Tibet. This change in my path was dictated in part by my admiration for the Dalai Lama and his clear, calm compassion.”

“But I would be lying if I did not admit that the tantric sexual practices had something to do with it. I had outgrown sitting meditations, deity visualizations, while both guru yoga and death yoga failed to advance my enlightenment. So I sought out a tantric master living in Bhutan and received a series of tantric transmissions from him.”

Woods is referring to a centuries old Buddhist practice that involves “sacred sex” with consorts who are little more than props for the male while he moves subtle energy through his chakras to purify his body and focus his mind. This is considered the highest form of tantra and is rarely practiced by anyone but the most advanced students of Buddhism.

“My initiation into tantra occurred just prior to the years of 2000-2001, when I won all four of the Grand Slams in a row. You figure it out.” His four straight Grand Slam victories are now called the “Tiger Slam” because they did not occur during one calendar year.

“Many of my fans and competitors have wondered how I achieve such diamond-point focus on the golf course. Well, this highly secret and advanced Buddhist practice has been my secret weapon over the years. The women are only tools to an end. They meant nothing to me, and I don’t even remember most of their names, if I’m being honest.”

Many of the women have claimed Tiger loved them and wanted to be with them, so it remains to be seen how they will respond to these newest revelations.

“So I apologize for misleading you, but seriously, I did not want Phil to figure this out and try it for himself.”

Woods concluded his brief statements by saying, “I am returning to simple meditation from now on, as a way to honor my wife and children. Besides, I have accrued so much power by now that there’s little I can’t do on the golf course, bitches.”

RedLantern

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »
As a Buddhist myself,I can tell you what he said was true that no amount of cajoling will bring him back to Christianity.Buddhists are not afraid that heaven does not exists and have spent their studies learning to be at peace with the fact that when someone dies,you'll never see them again.These are the harsh realities that most people cannot handle.I applaud for Tiger for getting back on his path.

dharmacrazy79

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
The news surrounding celebrities and their stories are often shrouded with uncertainty, speculations and, even, contamination. However, do we ignore them? We never have and we never will. In fact, much attention  is, more often than not, given to their stories.

Therefore, instead of getting entangled in the details of their story. What we should focus on is the lesson behind the gossip. Tiger Woods infidelity is wrong and he does relate it to his going astray from his faith in Buddhism or his malpractice of the teachings. This, I deduce is due to the absence of a Guru to guide and ensure constructive practice.

Therefore, instead of judging Tiger Woods, we should learn from his mistakes and find a trusted coach for our spiritual path. If we already have a Guru, then truly cherish him or her as he or she is the key to our spiritual attainment and consistent progress.

bambi

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
Yes, Tiger woods may have hurt many with his sexual misconduct but he apologized openly in public and did something about it. Lets put it this way, just because he is a star doesnt mean that we need to look at him differently nor judge him. What if the same happened to someone we know or someone close to us?
I am happy that he realized that what he did was wrong and that he wants to be more serious in his practice. Good for him. I hope that he will understand and learn more.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
There are so much distraction in samsara for a normal person just like myself, can you imagine Tiger Wood's? Young, successful, rich and famous will definitely not helping if someone without a deep strong foundation of religion in this case Buddhism practise. I am not so sure about the other article which he claimed about him practising the "sacred sex" tantric practise, no offence here Mr. Wood but i do not think you are qualify in order to do that. Anyhow, it's a good news to know that he is now refocusing his life to his family and spiritual development.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »
It is good news that Tiger Woods has decided to repractice Buddhism, the religion he was brought up with. It is true that spirituality is a pillar someone can rely on during a crisis and that it brings stability in one's life. Tiger Woods was distracted with his early fame and fortune that he has put his religious practices aside. He made some mistakes but now he is picking up his life. He is human after all. It is good that he is starting again!

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
This just goes to show how easy it can be to stray away from the correct path and make a mistake. Even if we teach our children that things like sexual misconduct is wrong, it is not as easy as we think. Even in our own practice and daily life it is one thing knowing what is right and what is wrong, it is another thing knowing what we are doing. It is about being mindful of making the right choices according to our knowledge and not letting our emotions or desires get a hold of us. That in itself is a skill that most of us forgot we are supposed to be practicing!

Klein

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 06:08:36 PM »

I find it strange that a tantric practitioner would even disclose his tantric practice that is supposed to be kept secret. There are no signs of humility in his statements which is one of the results of tantric practice. I find that it is a cover up for his infidelity. To use his religion to do this is very disturbing as it sends a very negative perception of what tantra is really about, and Buddhism as a whole.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 03:34:13 AM »
Just because Tiger is a well known sports personality, the infractions in his personal life has become the talk of the town. Would this infidelity by any other commoner be given so much media coverage?

Yes it is very easy to stray and much more difficult to admit in public and then to make amends.

I hope he is serious in his practice and hope that he moves forward.

dondrup

Re: Tiger Woods Raised a Buddhist Will Now Actively Practiseg
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 06:46:22 AM »
As a public figure, Fox News Channel host Brit Hume was very inconsiderate and insensitive and utterly disrespectful to criticize Buddhism on a live talk show.

Tiger Wood had confessed his marital infidelity and resolved to put his life back together.  He gave an eleven-minute public apology on TV to his wife, family, friends, business associates, fans and many others affected by his irresponsible behaviour. He claimed full personal  responsibility. I rejoice in his  confession and resolution.

Tiger Wood's public apology  http://bit.ly/JmlFy0

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
Why should Buddhism or any religion at all to be made into social debate or comparison or used as publicity stunt to famous public figures? I cannot see why anyone should tell anyone else that their religion should be this or that. If Tiger Woods had been a Buddhist, he would continue to be so. I won't have anyone telling me what I can or cannot belief in and its personal. Listen to our own intuition to tell us what we really need for our peace of mind.