Author Topic: Dialogue is the key, Dalai Lama says in Atlanta  (Read 7911 times)

icy

Dialogue is the key, Dalai Lama says in Atlanta
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:01:05 AM »
DHARAMSHALA, October 9: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama who is currently on fortnight visit to the United States of America made a call to make this century a century of compassion. The Nobel Peace laureate was speaking on ‘Pillars of Responsible Citizenship in the 21st Century Global Village’ to some 10,000 people at the Gwinnet Center in Atlanta, Georgia.

“Historians say 200 million people died violently during the twentieth century, despite many wonderful developments, it was a period of bloodshed and violence. I believe that if we think of others as our human brothers and sisters there will be no room to cheat, deceive and fight them,” said the Dalai Lama.

His Holiness then reiterated the need to solve the problems and conflicts through dialogue instead of using force.

“We need to think less of ‘them’ and ‘us’ and take others into account. There will always be sources of conflict between us, but when they arise we need to talk them through not fight about them.”

The Tibetan leader further urged everyone to apply secular ethics based on common sense, common experience and scientific findings to overcome the problems.

“Society will not be changed by UN intervention or by rulings from Capitol Hill. Society is made up of individuals, so change must start with individuals. Change will come not from giving or spending money, but from changing our minds.”

Later in the day, His Holiness took part in a panel discussion on ‘Secular Ethics and Education’. He noted that many of the problems faced by human being is his own creation and that its source is not something physical.

“Destructive emotions like anger and fear destroy our peace of mind and when our peace of mind is gone, our physical well-being is gone too. Through education and awareness we can learn to reduce our negative emotions.”

His Holiness also met with key members of the Emory-Tibet Medical Science Initiative and Tibetan Medicinal Research and learned about some of the scientific researches they are conducting on Tibetan medicine.

From October 12 to 14, His Holiness will give a three-day teaching on Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life (chodjug) at Arena Ciudad de Mexico in Mexico.

Q

Re: Dialogue is the key, Dalai Lama says in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
And yet... all the ban that was instilled has ever done was... causing anger in anti ds people, and causing great fear in ds practitioners.

I think the fate of death is not as bad as having to live in constant fear of death threats. What I can't take is that so many ds practitioners are still suffering from this ban despite so many years has passed.

I do not see any DS practitioners having the chance to create any dialogue to protect our practice... and any effort that was placed to talk in peace was returned with angry stares and spitting due to the anti-ds people's inability to hold any form of intelligent conversation.

Sometimes I feel the Tibetans adore the Dalai Lama in such a wrong way... they treat Him as a celebrity icon or a chess piece that may help ease their life in exile... but not as a Guru. After all, when you spit, curse and condemn openly at people that do not agree with your point of view, that gives very poor image not to the person, but to their teacher... And then some westerner educated individuals like me will start wondering, is that what your teacher taught you? Bad bad image.

icy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
Yes you are right Q.  Where is the dialogue for Shugden practitioners? 

The Dalai Lama is right, it was a period of bloodshed and violence. If we think of others as our human brothers and sisters there will be no room to cheat, deceive and fight them.  This shall also apply to Dorje Shugden practitioners.  If everyone were to apply secular ethics based on common sense, common experience and scientific findings to overcome the problems, certainly the ban on Dorje Shugden will be lifted by now.  However, this has not being applied and Shugden practitioners.  Where is the freedom for religious practice?

icy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
It is reported here The Dalai Lama engages students and faculty in academic debates at Emory University.  Could we respectfully request also a debate session with The Dalai Lama on Dorje Shugden?

ATLANTA, Georgia – The Dalai Lama’s feel-good teachings about grounding a secular ethics in the innate goodness of human beings was subjected to respectful but rigorous conversations with Emory University students and with professors of religion, theology, psychology and ethics today, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013.
The conversation comes mid-week of the Dalai Lama’s once-every-three year lecture visit at the university as a Presidential Distinguished Professor and co-founder of the Emory-Tibet Science Initiative. The Dalai Lama, considered the reincarnated form of a line of enlightened Tibetan Buddhist teachers, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, is the spiritual leader for Tibetan Buddhists and recognized globally as a leader for peace and compassion among all groups.

The Dalai Lama, in his brief remarks before responding to questions from faculty members, repeated his disclaimer about his position as a professor.

“I am a disgrace of a hopeless professor,” the Dalai Lama said, adding one of his characteristic chuckles – which never failed to stir an answering breeze of laughter from the students, faculty and friends of the university gathered in the concert hall. “I’ve never done the homework.”

But what the Dalai Lama has done, which includes updating science curriculum in his monastery’s schools and studying himself, is to live out the Buddha’s teaching to which he alluded several times: Not to accept even religious teaching on faith alone, but to use examination and facts.

“Religious people should be realistic,” the Dalai Lama said.

Dalai Lama Emory Univ 10.9.13
Lama Tenzin Deshek, of the Losel Maitri Center in Birmingham, Ala., and, as far as he knows, the only Tibetan Buddhist monk in Alabama, was among the Buddhist monks who came to Emory for the three-day lecture series on secular ethics this week, Oct. 8-10, 2013. (Kay Campbell / [email protected])

Healthy values, healthy world

This year’s discussions and presentations at Emory centered on the Dalai Lama’s 2011 book, “Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World.” The book’s thesis is that human values such as compassion, honesty, love and connectedness are the natural bedrock on which the world’s religions have built their religious teachings, and that one way to create world peace is to teach these values in a secular way, that is, without using the language of theology or good and evil.

Following these values, the Dalai Lama teaches, naturally results in good results for the health of the individual, groups and the world itself.

But those are not the only “natural” attitudes that human beings value, noted Professor Philippe Rochat, who teaches in the Emory University Department of Psychology. Rochat summarized his findings that motivation based on positive values, such as compassion and empathy, seem to develop in human children alongside less positive values, such as selfishness and dishonesty.

“Are we born good, or are we fundamentally torn between positive and negative tendencies?” Rochat asked. “My research over the last 30 years shows the latter is closer to the truth, and that we respond to contradictory motivations.”

The Dalai Lama asked about his methodology, querying whether he had controlled for environmental factors such as poverty, wealth, rural and urban. Rochat said his findings were fairly consistent across those groups.

“There is a natural tendency for both positive and negative,” the Dalai Lama said, then referred to research that was summarized on Tuesday showing that people who give things away increase their happiness more than people who horde things. “This is where we need education, because science shows us that positive motivation seems better with the human body and negative is more destructive.”

“What about those who reject the idea of common humanity,” Rochat probed, to the obvious delight of the Dalai Lama, who seemed to love the give-and-take.

“At least at one level, even those people can’t deny the common experience of shared desire to achieve happiness and avoid suffering,” the Dalai Lama said.

“I don’t know,” Rochat replied.

“You don’t know?” the Dalai Lama teased, striking another rumble of laughter from the audience.

The Dalai Lama looked up as the laughter rippled around the room.

“Hopefully, everybody here is ignorant,” he said, alluding to an earlier conversation about the necessity of intellectual humility to make learning possible.

Dalai Lama Emory Univ 10.9.13
The Dalai Lama presents Emory University psychology Professor Philippe Rochat with a ceremonial scarf of appreciation following Wednesday's panel with Emory professors. The Dalai and Rochat shared a lively debate over what consitutes "natural" human motivations.

Q & A

Other interesting questions from the morning panel with students and the afternoon faculty panel, with the Dalai Lama’s often ambiguous responses, were:

Religion professor: If we learn to open our hearts to human suffering, how do we bear it?

Dalai Lama: First, develop courage to do something about it. Second, find strength by going to the deep roots of your own religious tradition. If you are not a believer, then you must find hope.

“And hope is better than no hope, right?” the Dalai Lama asked, directing his question at Rochat, who had identified himself as a non-believer. “Hope is what puts a smile on your face.”

Economics student: What constitutes an ethical economic system?

Dalai Lama: “I think I am the wrong person to ask. If I were involved in serious decisions about a company, I think within week would collapse. But no matter what system, it is the individual motivation that makes difference.

Religion professor: What about those who think it is in love that they attempt to convert others to their religion?

Dalai Lama: “In modern times, there are no boundaries between religions – everybody all together” (referring to modern diverse societies). So you have to accept several teachings in your society. In individual case, yes: You must make one choice, one religion, in order to keep one’s center of faith. But it is an old way of thinking to impose your own faith on others. The principle of non-interference is good.”

Ethics professor: Why do you avoid the discussion of “good” and “evil” in your book?

Dalai Lama: Discernment is less about good and evil than about what is beneficial and what is harmful. A fundamental human desire is to seek happiness and avoid pain. Education can help people see that some initially painful choices, say to quit taking drugs, can lead to long-term happiness.

“If you find purpose in suffering, then the physical pain is no problem,” the Dalai Lama said.

Student: What does it mean to be useful?

Dalai Lama: “To give some help. If that not possible, at least harm not. If harm another, sooner or later you feel a little uncomfortable. If you help someone, the other gets satisfaction and you get inside satisfaction of happiness.”

Ethics professor: How do you counter the American idealization of individualism?

“If you really push individualism too far, do you really want to be alone? How would you eat? Find clothes?

“We are a social animal. Our happiness depends on other – this is reality. But precisely? I don’t know.”

lotus1

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
I always wonder why HH Dalai Lama would not want to engage in any dialogue or debate on Dorje Shugden. I read about article that he urged the use of dialogue as a method to tackle difference (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/controversy/videos-controversy/dalai-lama-on-how-to-deal-with-dorje-shugden-practitioners/).
However, until now, there is not any dialogue on the Dorje Shugden issue despite request to HH Dalai Lama. For example, http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=839.0.   Is it possible that his main intention is to create more controversy, curiosity and publicity for more people to get to know more about Dorje Shugden then practice Dorje Shugden?
 ???

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »
Dialog for everyone but not for Dorje Shugden practitioners. What is the message here. I offer 2 scenarios:

1) Dorje Shugden practitioners must listen to the Dalai Lama because the protector practice is a spiritual issue, hence there is no dialog. But then, for the individual practitioner, spiritual matters are between the Guru and the practitioners. Unless your Guru is the Dalai Lama or his direct disciples. In any case we just follow the Guru. Hence, I agree dialog is not needed.
2) This spiritual matters has directly been exploited as a political issue and affects the lives of millions of Dorje Shugden practitioners and their families. It has cause families to breakup and friends to become enemies. In this case, dialog is needed. As much as the "occupation" of Tiber by the PRC has "caused" much sufferings, so have the ban. If the HHDL expect dialogs with PRC, he much also expect dialog with DS practitioners.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 03:55:38 AM »
The Dalai lama said:
 Religion professor: What about those who think it is in love that they attempt to convert others to their religion?

Dalai Lama: “In modern times, there are no boundaries between religions – everybody all together” (referring to modern diverse societies). So you have to accept several teachings in your society. In individual case, yes: You must make one choice, one religion, in order to keep one’s center of faith. But it is an old way of thinking to impose your own faith on others. The principle of non-interference is good.”

So, I am saying.  Those of you that take him as your guru but also like Shugden, could you please debate him on this?  (I don't think he'll agree to talk to the rest of us, and he was never my guru).  Because if he really thinks this, and I presume that's why he's saying it, then how does this make any sense with regard to Shugden? 

fruven

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
Dalai Lama: “To give some help. If that not possible, at least harm not. If harm another, sooner or later you feel a little uncomfortable. If you help someone, the other gets satisfaction and you get inside satisfaction of happiness.”

Aren't Dorje Shugden practitioners being harmed by anti-Dorje Shugden people? It that is not harm I don't know what is harmless and what is harmful anymore. People can choose what they believe in. With Dharma knowledge one can learn to discern what is good for you and what is harmful for you. Is Dorje Shugden harmful to other people? Isn't the people who enforce the religious prosecution the most harmful? Why put the blame on Dorje Shugden? Are the religious prosecutor get satisfaction from doing that their job therefore they won't think their actions are harmful to others.

icy

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
Yes, Dalai Lama, no more war but peace and dialogue for Shugden practitioners.  Declare there is a mistake banning Dorje Shugden.  Peace and unity is the way to go by Dialogue.  I absolutely agree with you Your Holiness!  So when is the dialogue for Peace and freedom for Shugden practitioners to avoid suffering for millions of people?  It is within your capacity to lift the ban. 

Dalai Lama calls for peace at Nobel Peace Summit

The Dalai Lama has told the Nobel Peace summit in Warsaw urged that the world's conflicts "should not be solved through violence but dialogue".

"Violence only increases suffering," the Tibetan spiritual leader said at the summit - which brings together several winners of the Nobel Peace Prize - now in its third day in the Polish capital, including the 1983 winner Lech Walesa.
The Dalai Lama was speaking at the 'Solidarity and Reconciliation: no more war' session being held at the Palace of Science and Culture.

Former Nobel Peace Prize winners Dalai Lama and Bangladeshi banker and economist Muhammad Yunus in Warsaw: photo - Leszek Szymanski/PAP

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
DHARAMSHALA, October 9: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama who is currently on fortnight visit to the United States of America made a call to make this century a century of compassion. The Nobel Peace laureate was speaking on ‘Pillars of Responsible Citizenship in the 21st Century Global Village’ to some 10,000 people at the Gwinnet Center in Atlanta, Georgia.

“Historians say 200 million people died violently during the twentieth century, despite many wonderful developments, it was a period of bloodshed and violence. I believe that if we think of others as our human brothers and sisters there will be no room to cheat, deceive and fight them,” said the Dalai Lama.

His Holiness then reiterated the need to solve the problems and conflicts through dialogue instead of using force.

“We need to think less of ‘them’ and ‘us’ and take others into account. There will always be sources of conflict between us, but when they arise we need to talk them through not fight about them.”

The Tibetan leader further urged everyone to apply secular ethics based on common sense, common experience and scientific findings to overcome the problems.

“Society will not be changed by UN intervention or by rulings from Capitol Hill. Society is made up of individuals, so change must start with individuals. Change will come not from giving or spending money, but from changing our minds.”

Later in the day, His Holiness took part in a panel discussion on ‘Secular Ethics and Education’. He noted that many of the problems faced by human being is his own creation and that its source is not something physical.

“Destructive emotions like anger and fear destroy our peace of mind and when our peace of mind is gone, our physical well-being is gone too. Through education and awareness we can learn to reduce our negative emotions.”

His Holiness also met with key members of the Emory-Tibet Medical Science Initiative and Tibetan Medicinal Research and learned about some of the scientific researches they are conducting on Tibetan medicine.

From October 12 to 14, His Holiness will give a three-day teaching on Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life (chodjug) at Arena Ciudad de Mexico in Mexico.

When Dorje Shugden Protestors requested the Dalai Lama to stop lying, I wondered on what basis did the Protestors have.

Above is a speech by the Dalai Lama on peace and harmony and that is not what it is from the Dalai Lama to us, Shugdenpas. 

Please STOP LYING. 

grandmapele

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 02:50:56 AM »
Yes, I agree with the Dalai Lama - dialogue is the key to peace. But that must be applied to all not just a few high profile cases. There must equanimity in applying that, it must be universal just as the Buddha taught universal truth and equanimity. No 'buts' in any case or anywhere.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 04:25:23 AM »
I agree Grandmapele, that amicable dialogue as advised by the Dalai Lama must be practised and not verbalised without responsibilities.  As such why not amicable dialogue with China and Shugden practitioners.

So the question is why is the Dalai Lama being flippant in what he says and what he does?  And it is from hence that I understand the protestors' slogan of STOP LYING.

Maybe the better terminology is PRACTISE THE MIDDLE WAY for a win/win situation on both less international and attention seeking issues. When actions will speak louder than words.

fruven

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 01:09:35 AM »
Where is CTA coming into the picture? CTA is also very much responsible for enforcing the ban. If CTA has leadership they must do more than just keeping quiet. It is time they rely more on themselves instead of HH Dalai Lama.

eyesoftara

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 05:13:14 AM »
Isn't dialog always the key? The Dalai Lama and the CTA must realise that if this problem is resolve it will serve their agenda, what that is better as everyone can then have peace to further their own goals. Simple common sense doesn't yet prevail here.
I am in the opinion that in line with the ban by HHDL is the first place, there is a reason why Dialog has happen yet. Or just a statement from the Dalai Lama will solve this situation. But somehow, I also feel it will eventually be resolve but I am not sure how that will manifest.

kris

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »
Until today, this is still one of the things which puzzles me the most. HH Dalai Lama advocates dialogues to resolve issues. He has said it many many times, but at the same time, He knows very well the Shugden communities are requesting for a dialogue, but yet He is not even interested in sending His representatives to meet & resolve this issue (at least at this stage).

Why? He is a Buddha Chenrezig, why is He not having compassion? I am very puzzled...