Author Topic: Prince George of England Converting to Buddhism?  (Read 11102 times)

icy

Prince George of England Converting to Buddhism?
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:05:41 AM »
George can be Buddhist if he wants, says Archbishop in remarkable statement after Prince's christening

The Archbishop of Canterbury says he has no objection to Prince George converting to Buddhism.
The Most Reverend Justin Welby, speaking one day after he led the christening of the future Supreme Governor of the Church of England, said the prince is ‘perfectly entitled’ to change his religion should he so choose.

The remark is likely to alarm traditionalists. However, it is in keeping with Prince Charles’s oft-repeated claim that he wants to be seen as ‘Defender of Faiths’ instead of ‘Defender of the Faith’, to reflect Britain’s multicultural society.

bonfire

Re: Prince George of England Converting to Buddhism?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
read more on the MAIL ONLINE here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2475972/Prince-George-Buddhist-wants-says-Archbishop-royal-christening.html

This is interesting to read, as the king holds the title of ‘Defender of Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England’, so to imagine the king of the united kingdoms as a Buddhist shows a great sense of understanding and a large sense of spirituality from the part of the Archbishop of Canterbury indeed.

Klein

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
Wow! This is good news that the British royal family is evolving with times and promoting interfaith harmony. It's not the point that he may convert to Buddhism. But the essence of the message and that is, it is ok to convert as all religions encourage us to be kind and compassionate.

Many wars are created because of interpretations of religious ideologies. How can we be kind and compassionate when we encourage others to kill? There are already so much sufferings in the world. The last thing we need is more sufferings in the name of our own religion.

It's time that we all learn to co exist in harmony and embrace our differences whether it's race, religion or gender. We are all on the same planet. There is no better solution than this.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
While it remains to be seen whether Prince George would convert to become a Buddhist, I believe that it should not be forced onto a person his right to religious faith.

Whether he remains as a member of the Church of England or convert to another faith, as long as he rules his country as a great King, it does not matter.

What is important to note however, is how the Royal Family is moving with the times.

fruven

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
In my opinion one should not make an issue of converting from one religion to another religion. We should not send the message that this religion is bad and I am changing to another religion. That should not be the reason we change religion. In fact we should stick to our own religion, not hopping around. No doubt we cannot prevent people from getting the wrong idea.

We can learn from each other so much. Many people have stick to their own faith and at the same time learning from other religious. It increases their faith and do good in their own belief. Actions speak louder than words. There is no one religion fits all. Until one matures enough and dare to learn the hard truth of suffering of all sentient beings changing religion is not the priority. In fact Dalai Lama has also, many times, advised that one should stick to their own traditions.

bonfire

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
[...]
It's not the point that he may convert to Buddhism. But the essence of the message and that is, it is ok to convert as all religions encourage us to be kind and compassionate.
[...]
It's time that we all learn to co exist in harmony and embrace our differences whether it's race, religion or gender.
[...]

Klein, I think that is the point indeed.
And the point is not that the future King George converts to another religion, and pretty likely he won't; the point is that he could, freely, with dignity, without trauma and respectably.
That is the point indeed.
What a great message of peace that is!

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
Hello everyone, as a European used to hearing about the most popular royal family...this one... it is very reassuring to see that times are changing. The thing that strikes me the most is that the main comment came from the Archbishop of Canterbury. Whether or not he meant it, or just wanted to come across as a man open to change and wanting to come across as someone who accepts other religions is in my opinion not the case. What it does show however is that Britain is become an ever increasingly multicultural society. Through interaction with other peoples and religious beliefs, people may decide, after careful consideration as an adult to change their beliefs, as I have done. What we need to realise though is that the Royal family is always in the limelight and doesn't necessarily reflect what most of the people on 'the ground' as it were, are experiencing.

When i tell people I'm a Buddhist, one of the first reactions i get is "you don't look like a Buddhist." But this story is a good example of how things should change for the better. People should be comfortable with the fact that others can choose to practice whatever religious beliefs they want, regardless of race or cultural background. It is in no way going against your own so-called heritage and in my case has actually made me appreciate other religions even more.

vajrastorm

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
The Archbishop of Canterbury's declaration that the newly christened Prince George, the future Supreme Governor of the Church of England , "can be Buddhist if he wants " reflects his open-mindedness concerning religion. This spiritual leader is also indirectly commenting on the lack of spiritual interest of today's younger generation, which includes the generation of the father of the newly christened baby.

Of course the conventional-minded , the traditionalists, will be shocked by such  a declaration. There is also a trend of people not wanting to be tied down by labels of religion. However Buddhism , being about compassion and harmony, is now having a wider and wider appeal to people everywhere, including in the West.

Q

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:09:13 AM »
Wow... that's an interesting piece of news. If Prince George truly changes his religion when he grows up (could be any religion that is) it would be the first in history. Catholic Christianity has always been the English royal family's religion, but it seems to have lost touch even on Prince Charles and Prince William... well, if they have read about Buddhism, them this is what they call impermanence!

bambi

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
How interesting! Imagine if Prince George convert his religion and being a Buddhist! How many people in the world will start to notice and learn more about Buddhism. And Q, you are right! Christianity has always been the royal family's religion. And I was surprised to read that Prince William seldom goes to church. And I do hope that the spiritual leader meant what he said.  ;D

brian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »
Such a surprising news, shocking for some! If this is true, it is for sure it will ring Buddhism well to anyone who heard about this news. Curiosity will make people come into studying about Buddhism to find out more clues to why King George would want to be converting to Buddhism? Am thinking just out of fantasy, is Dalai Lama responsible for this? LOL! Well, i read about the England Prime Minister was pressured not to meet His Holiness and it seems to be quite an issue.

DS Star

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
It is still very early to say anything about Prince George's faith.

He may grow up to be a Christian, a Buddhist, or even a Muslim; or he may not even adopt any religion at all. No one can decide except himself.

However, for "survival" sake, the Church of England will ensure all future kings to be a Christian through education and regulated reminder that he is to be the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, thus Christianity is the faith he should adopt and defend.

This is very clear during the young Prince George’s christening at the Chapel Royal in St James’s Palace:

Indeed, the Archbishop had chosen in his address to urge George’s parents and godparents to help the future monarch ‘make sure he knows who Jesus is’, imploring: ‘Speak of him, read stories about him. Introduce him in prayer.’

England is now a country of many different faith, seems the controversial statement by the Archbishop 24 hours later is just a show by him to portrait himself as a 'open-minded leader' and to give a non-aggressive image to the Church of England.

diablo1974

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 04:30:56 AM »
Its always a good thing to hear when celebrities and dignities turn to buddhism as their refuge. They can play a very important role in promoting Buddhism  in a larger community especially when their news are in social media. Its also good to know that the royal family as such with their faith as born christians are open to other faiths, emphasizing on religious freedom.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 07:35:30 AM »
The deeper meaning of The Archbishop of Canterbury's remark of "George can be Buddhist if he wants", for me; is that Buddhism offers a neutral and hence comfortable reference for the Archbishop for "other religion". If the Archbishop were to say "George can be a Muslim if he wants" if he wants" then it will cause a great uproar, given the uncomfortable relationship with Islam.

For me all religions teaches virtues but it is the perception of others that is different. Buddhism is certainly the most "unthreatening" religion to other religion. That is clear.

Aurore

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
In fact we should stick to our own religion, not hopping around. No doubt we cannot prevent people from getting the wrong idea.

We can learn from each other so much. Many people have stick to their own faith and at the same time learning from other religious. It increases their faith and do good in their own belief. Actions speak louder than words. There is no one religion fits all. Until one matures enough and dare to learn the hard truth of suffering of all sentient beings changing religion is not the priority. In fact Dalai Lama has also, many times, advised that one should stick to their own traditions.

I have to disagree on this point. It's case to case. Not everyone chose their religion in the first place. They are born into it or married into it. Some chose a religion without understanding it or that particular religion served their mindset at that point of life. I myself was a Christian at a young age, my aunt took me to church. As time goes by, I can't comprehend why I have to endure so much suffering. God is my creator after all. Do I blame God or look deeper at why bad things happened to me? That was when I stumbled upon Buddhism. It gave me all the answers and more than that, the solutions to a better life.