Author Topic: Geshe Kelsang teaching in Portugal:)  (Read 15275 times)

Blueupali

• Email
Geshe Kelsang teaching in Portugal:)
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »
 Hi Everyone,
  Lovely teachings from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso on the Perfection of Wisdom are this week.  Updates available from:
www.kadampa.org

for festival info:

www.kadampafestivals.org

Lineageholder

Re: Geshe Kelsang teaching in Portugal:)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
Also Facebook.com/kadampa, YouTube.com/NKTIKBU, twitter.com/kadampa and Instagram/NKTIKBU

icy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
It is truly amazing, there are 7000 Buddhist attending Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's teaching in Portugal.  Here is a short clip of Geshela's talk on Empowerment.

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso - Empowerment Talk - Fall Festival 2013 Small | Large

fruven

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
One who practices Dharma with sincere motivation will be able to change the life of others.

Is Geshe Kelsang practicing Dharma? Yes.
Is he harming others? No
Is there anything wrong with doing Dorje Shugden practice? No

Q

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
Thank you for sharing!

I totally love Geshela's teachings. I connected to Tibetan Buddhism through NKT's book, Geshela's intro to Buddhism book was the first Tibetan Buddhism Dharma book that I picked out from the bookshelf in my local book store... every since then I've been practicing Tibetan Buddhism.

So, news on Geshela always touches me. May Geshela have good health, He is truly a Bodhisattva that the world needs very much.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 07:49:17 AM »
Geshe Kelsang is an inspiration to many people around the world to have fought the ban and his organization is still growing leaps and bounds. And their system of study appeals to a lot of Westerners who want to share the dharma because they have derived benefit from such teachings.

His sangha consists of many teachers lay and also monastic. For the hundred of thousands of practitioners within the Kadampa mandala practicing Dorje Shugden brings about peace, realisations and Joy from the study programs, practices and books of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.  I have read the 8 steps to happiness and it has given me a great insight into the practice of the Lojong and the 8 verses of transforming the mind.  There is also the ‘Joyful Path’ a modern way of presenting the Lamrim in a modern setting. 

I pray for their success to in touching many people’s hearts and minds through Dorje Shugden. I can’t help but compare on one hand you have NKT who is continuously bringing the dharma to the people around the globe at an exponential rate, on the other hand we have CTA who are not only losing powerful friends  (Britain, USA etc the lists grows ever longer) their only possible source of growth are their fanatical supporters who contribute to the Tibetan’s population growth?

Dorje Shugden practitioners and lamas are able to go to diverse countries and work with people of all levels and bring benefit to the community. China is such an example, that the work of Dorje Shugden Lamas have resulted in China developing a trusting bond with the Dorje Shugden lamas.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:42:36 AM »
Mahasiddha Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche explained that when we meditate on the emptiness of the body we normally perceive, we develop a an understanding or belief that the body we normally see does not exist. We ascertain the emptiness of our body in meditation, but then our problems return when we arise from meditation because we forget what we experienced; we develop self grasping doubt that believes the body we normally perceive does really exist. The same is so for our self and all other phenomena. We develop a correct view based on wisdom, then we give in to the usual doubt. We need to remember what we experienced in meditation as being the truth, then understand that appearances are their emptiness appearing as things. They are non dual - appearance and emptiness. When we gain this knowledge, appearances themselves should remind us if their emptiness and we should maintain this continually to solve our daily problems.

He also transmitted the uncommon yoga of inconceivability of Vajrayogini through which Dakiniland can be accomplished without abandoning the human body. If you have not received this, nows the time to request the Protector to arrange conditions for you to! Beautiful!!

dondrup

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
Mahasiddha Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche explained that when we meditate on the emptiness of the body we normally perceive, we develop a an understanding or belief that the body we normally see does not exist. We ascertain the emptiness of our body in meditation, but then our problems return when we arise from meditation because we forget what we experienced; we develop self grasping doubt that believes the body we normally perceive does really exist. The same is so for our self and all other phenomena. We develop a correct view based on wisdom, then we give in to the usual doubt. We need to remember what we experienced in meditation as being the truth, then understand that appearances are their emptiness appearing as things. They are non dual - appearance and emptiness. When we gain this knowledge, appearances themselves should remind us if their emptiness and we should maintain this continually to solve our daily problems.

He also transmitted the uncommon yoga of inconceivability of Vajrayogini through which Dakiniland can be accomplished without abandoning the human body. If you have not received this, nows the time to request the Protector to arrange conditions for you to! Beautiful!!

Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is truly very compassionate to expound the Wisdom Teachings on Emptiness and transmitted the Uncommon Yoga of Inconceivability of Vajrayogini. The Uncommon Yoga of Inconceivability of Vajrayogini is not commonly given by Geshe-la in NKT Festivals!  Attendees of the recent Fall Festival 2013 in Portugal are very fortunate indeed! I rejoice in their good fortunes!

Thank You psylotripitaka for sharing Geshe-la’s teaching on emptiness here.  It is very profound and useful for us to contemplate and meditate on.  In one paragraph, you had summarised the essence of the emptiness teachings by Geshe-la!

Here’s my understanding, correct me if I am wrong!

Correct View of Emptiness – the body that we normally perceive does not exist inherently.  We meditate on this view continuously until we gain realisation of it.

Post Meditation – we forget the emptiness of our body and grasps at the appearance of our body as real. We must remember the object of our meditation which is “the body that we normally perceive does not exist inherently”. The same goes for all the other phenomena.

Appearances are their emptiness appearing as things – All phenomena lack inherent existence. It is due to their emptiness that all phenomena manifest.

Appearances and their emptiness are non-dual – This means what appears to us are also their emptiness. They are the same nature. 

Hence, we should not grasp at the appearance of objects because these objects do not exist inherently. We must familiarise ourselves with this correct view continuously until we gain a realisation of it. With the correct understanding of the true nature of all phenomena even at the intellectual level initially, we can solve some of our daily problems.  Eventually we can solve all problems!

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
I heard from a source that towards the end of Geshe-la's teaching in Portugal. He mentioned he is 74 years old and he is at the same age his Lama, Trijang Rinpoche has passed away. He urged all his students to practice the dharma as he has given all teachings which is needed. He also asked his students to be kind and be emanation of the Budhha.

I cringed at the thought of what Geshe-la said. I pray that Geshe-la live for another 100 of years. If we have our lama/guru with us no matter what sect or even what religion, we should be grateful and appreciate them.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso-la is one of the many lamas who works tirelessly for dharma and for speaking up against the ban on Dorje Shugden. The result of this is the more than 1000 NKT dharma centers that have sprouted all over the world and the heroic voices of their sangha and lay people, the NKT members, in calling out for the ban on Dorje Shugden to be lifted. Please live long, Venerable Geshe-la.

Manjushri

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
If DS practise was bad, I am sure that the 3 jewels would have already stopped the growth of such centres and lamas propagating the teachings and practise of Dorje Shugden but why do they continue to grow year after year and gain many practitioners? Wouldn't the Gelugpa High lamas try to stop these lamas promoting the practise of an "evil spirit"? Why have they been unsuccessful so far? Just like how Dromo Geshe Rinpoche subdued Namka Bardzin, why hasn't any lamas subdued this 'evil spirit' named Dorje Shugden?

Lamas like Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a true lama practising a true lineage.. just look at how he is compassionately teaches others to help and benefit them... that's already an indication of a true, living lama who's goal is to spread the teachings of the Buddha so that everyone can work their way towards enlightenment. 

gohdi

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »
I heard from a source that towards the end of Geshe-la's teaching in Portugal. He mentioned he is 74 years old ....

74 years --> 84 years in a few months

psylotripitaka

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
 Drubchen Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche will be 84, and has said they are older in the Tibetan calendar. Trijang Dorjechang left at age 81 by the western calendar. Let us pray he continues to be with us transmitting the blessings through teaching, but, if he does leave, the uncommon yoga teaching is quite the send off!

The uncommon yoga has traditionally only been allowed to be given to 3 or 7 people at a time and it was very difficult to receive. I believe it was put into a booklet from an oral transmission by Geshe Rabten (?) a long time ago. However, now, not only did Venerable Geshe-la prepare the sadhana, he made his own teaching notes into a booklet, and proceeded to give a detailed transmission publicly to 7000+ people, many of whom do not even have Highest Yoga Tantra empowerment. This is not only an indication of the times or his tremendous kindness to give it so when they do have initiation they can practice, but it is an indication that many people have amazing karma to achieve Dakiniland very soon, and that my friends is a very wonderful thing indeed!

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
I heard from a source that towards the end of Geshe-la's teaching in Portugal. He mentioned he is 74 years old ....

74 years --> 84 years in a few months

Also, sometimes it's hard to understand the accents of people who are from Tibet---:).

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46:09 PM »
If DS practise was bad, I am sure that the 3 jewels would have already stopped the growth of such centres and lamas propagating the teachings and practise of Dorje Shugden but why do they continue to grow year after year and gain many practitioners? Wouldn't the Gelugpa High lamas try to stop these lamas promoting the practise of an "evil spirit"? Why have they been unsuccessful so far? Just like how Dromo Geshe Rinpoche subdued Namka Bardzin, why hasn't any lamas subdued this 'evil spirit' named Dorje Shugden?

Lamas like Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a true lama practising a true lineage.. just look at how he is compassionately teaches others to help and benefit them... that's already an indication of a true, living lama who's goal is to spread the teachings of the Buddha so that everyone can work their way towards enlightenment.

Whatever Gelugpa high lamas might or might not do, I am sure can sometimes depend on which high lamas you are referring to:).
  At any rate, we could just think, why would Trijang Rinpoche do the practice, why would Song Rinpoche and so many others do the pratice if it wasn't Buddhist?  They wouldn't have, if it wasn't an authentic practice.
  Also, we have Guru Rinpoche who hasn't bothered to subdue Dorje Shugden.  This is because Guru Rinpoche would not really need to subdue Manjushri, so he wouldn't try.