Author Topic: When/why do we sometimes not depict Dorje Shugden's wisdom eye?  (Read 8862 times)

Blueupali

• Email
When/why do we sometimes not depict Dorje Shugden's wisdom eye?
« on: November 17, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
Hello everyone,
  I have noticed that sometimes on this site we depict Dorje Shugden with or without a wisdom eye.  I have always wondered when is it appropriate to depict a Dharma Protector without his wisdom eye?  The picture on the front page from the DorjeShugden.com is
 very beautiful but doesn't have the wisdom eye depicted.  I am just asking for opinions and information.

Lineageholder

Re: When/why do we sometimes not depict Dorje Shugden's wisdom eye?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
Oh, I thought that the wisdom eye would always be depicted as it's one of the signs that Dorje Shugden is a Buddha, perceiving the past, present and future directly and simultaneously. 

I've never seen a depiction of Dorje Shugden in my own tradition where the wisdom eye has been omitted.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »
I do not know the answer to the question, however, there was an explanation given about this particular image of Dorje Shugden,

This image of Dorje Shugden is unusually peaceful and has been repainted based on an old thangka from the 1960?s. Similar to another downloadable thangka, this thangka has a plain background, bringing out the main features of Dorje Shugden. Like many Dorje Shugden images, the facial features are said to resemble Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche, who was one of the most influential Gelugpa lineage masters at the time.

Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was responsible for the spread of Dorje Shugden’s practice throughout the Gelugpas, which was continued by his student, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche.

From: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/downloads/images/peaceful-dorje-shugden-plain/

You can see the original image of thangka painting from: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/downloads/images/peaceful-dorje-shugden/

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:11 AM »
The image depicted is the peaceful form of Dorje Shugden. Hence, in my opinion it does not have the Wisdom eye on the form. Being the peaceful form, it would not be logical to have a third eye. I personally have a poster of a peaceful form of Dorje Shugden and it is not the same on this website. And it does not have a Wisdom eye.

This is not to say the Protector doesn't have a Wisdom eye. It is just not depicted. We must understand that the Buddhas manifest in many forms for our perception for us to perceive their enlightened qualities. So, the peaceful form is for the peaceful visualization and also for lay people.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
The image depicted is the peaceful form of Dorje Shugden. Hence, in my opinion it does not have the Wisdom eye on the form. Being the peaceful form, it would not be logical to have a third eye. I personally have a poster of a peaceful form of Dorje Shugden and it is not the same on this website. And it does not have a Wisdom eye.

This is not to say the Protector doesn't have a Wisdom eye. It is just not depicted. We must understand that the Buddhas manifest in many forms for our perception for us to perceive their enlightened qualities. So, the peaceful form is for the peaceful visualization and also for lay people.

I tend to agree. If the ever-present Wisdom Eye is depicted on the image of a peaceful looking image of Dorje Shugden, it might not look peaceful. But then again. the Third Eye could have been depicted similar to that of the Buddha so it does not appear wrathful.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:11:25 AM »
i think that iconography is important but once iconography has been set for the traditional representations of the Buddhas, people can have variations on the theme. As raised before, i agree that in this version of the peaceful form, the third eye was probably not included to make the face of the monk more human-like and appealing to the average person. And although the third eye is not depicted, it is indisputable that Dorje Shugden is the wisdom buddha.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
The Peaceful form of Dorje Shugden... very handsome. I love this image. But this version is depicted with a third eye. I reckon the explanation given here seems to make sense as both Lama Tsongkhapa and Manjushri's iconography do not include the representation of the third eye. Even Buddha Shakyamuni does not have.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
This is very interesting and I think such an important element of Dorje Shugden's iconography must be based on an original thangka and that thangka must have been commissioned by a lama or a notable person. There's a chance that this variation in a peaceful form of Dorje Shugden may have been from a lineage of depicting Dorje Shugden in this manner. I believe that such lineages are from an authentic source and one that descended down based upon an experience of beholding Dorje Shugden in this particular aspect by a clairvoyant master. I not sure but that's what I think about this one...

dsiluvu

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »
I do not know the answer to the question, however, there was an explanation given about this particular image of Dorje Shugden,

This image of Dorje Shugden is unusually peaceful and has been repainted based on an old thangka from the 1960?s. Similar to another downloadable thangka, this thangka has a plain background, bringing out the main features of Dorje Shugden. Like many Dorje Shugden images, the facial features are said to resemble Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche, who was one of the most influential Gelugpa lineage masters at the time.

Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was responsible for the spread of Dorje Shugden’s practice throughout the Gelugpas, which was continued by his student, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche.

From: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/downloads/images/peaceful-dorje-shugden-plain/

You can see the original image of thangka painting from: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/downloads/images/peaceful-dorje-shugden/

Oh thanks Vajraprotector for the explanation! Wow I did not know that some of the peaceful form without the 3rd eye was a depiction of the facial features of Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche! That is so awesome and I feel closer to Dorje Shugden even more with this new knowledge ;) It is quite apt actually.

But in general, based on my own opinion, I think the peaceful form easier to accept to those who are new to the protector practice. The peaceful Dorje Shugden looks more welcoming I suppose LOL. Most people could get turn off with the wrathful aspect, though not for me, I like Dorje Shugden in wrathful form. I guess each to their own eh. 

psylotripitaka

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
Oh that, he just happened to be blinking when they took the photo!

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 03:28:08 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for your responses:).
  I will check out the image next to Je Pabongkapa.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 04:40:14 AM »
Oh that, he just happened to be blinking when they took the photo!

cheeky! LOL
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

thor

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 08:30:57 AM »

Oh thanks Vajraprotector for the explanation! Wow I did not know that some of the peaceful form without the 3rd eye was a depiction of the facial features of Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche! That is so awesome and I feel closer to Dorje Shugden even more with this new knowledge ;) It is quite apt actually.

But in general, based on my own opinion, I think the peaceful form easier to accept to those who are new to the protector practice. The peaceful Dorje Shugden looks more welcoming I suppose LOL. Most people could get turn off with the wrathful aspect, though not for me, I like Dorje Shugden in wrathful form. I guess each to their own eh.

Images of Dorje Shugden without his 3rd eye are NOT meant to depict Kyabje Pabongkha's features. It is perhaps just a coincidence, nothing more, maybe even just referring to that particular image or artists inspiration.

To answer the original question about the 3rd eye - there are both peaceful and wrathful depictions of Dorje Shugden and within each type, further variations. The most wrathful iconography depicts Dorje Shugden with NINE EYES:
- 3 on the face (including the wisdom eye)
- one on the back of each hand
- one on each forearm
- one on each upper arm

This iconography is shown in the attached image yet many other images of him do not depict this full iconography. What's most important is for his practitioners to understand the meaning of the eyes, but ultimately, we can use whichever image of him we prefer for our personal shrines.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
I like the most wrathful form of DS with nine eyes. For some reason, it's very energetic. Maybe I just need wrath to get me off my lazy behind and learn and practice more!!!

thor

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
Forgot to mention this earlier:

The eyes on Dorje Shugden's arms in his most wrathful form are said to represent where Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen was stabbed during the repeated attempts to kill him. Depa Norbu, who was brother to Desi Sonam Chopel the assistant of the 5th Dalai Lama had tried to stab Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen but the blade would not penetrate his skin. And wherever he was stabbed, eyes opened up to stare back at Depa Norbu. Read the account here: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/introduction/history/the-demise-of-the-great-tulku-drakpa-gyeltsen/

So every part of Dorje Shugden's iconography has a story and meaning behind it, no matter how incidental or insignificant it may seem.