Author Topic: Five-Peaked Mountain the Abode of Dorje Shugden Who is Manjushri  (Read 11338 times)

icy

Five-Peaked Mountain or Wu Tai Shan is a popular destination for Buddhist pilgrims and is seen as one of the most holy places of the Four Sacred Mountains in Chinese Buddhism.  It is  believed that Manjushri has manifested numerous times on this mountain. 

Wu Tai Shan is also home to over 600 species of plant, of which more than 150 species of grass can be used as rare herbs! It has a combination of immense richness in culture and religious history.

Famous Qing Emperors namely, Emperor Qian Long, Emperor Kangsi retreated in a Wu Tai Shan temple during the summer.  Even up to today there stands a pillar of unity in the temple with the inscription of 4 different languages i.e. Han, Mongolian, Tibetan and Manchurian to unify China with Buddhism as the unifying element.

??? (w? tái sh?n) Mount Wutai

Featuring five flat peaks, Mount Wutai is one of four sacred Buddhist mountains in China and home to some of the country’s most important temples and monasteries. Located in northern China’s Shanxi Province, Mount Wutai once hosted more than 360 temples during its peak and there are still 53 well-preserved ones standing today, including the country’s oldest wooden architecture.

In AD 68, two reverent Indian Buddhist monks, Kasyapa Pandita and Bharana Pandita, visited Mount Wutai and thought its topography resembled Vulture Peak in India, where Sakyamuni gave lectures on Buddhism. That area also was considered the earthly abode of Manjusri, Bodhisattva of Wisdom.

So Mount Wutai was chosen as the site of the Great Fu Tamawashi Temple, the second Buddhist temple in China after the Baima (White Horse) Temple built a few months earlier near Luoyang, capital of the Eastern Han Dynasty (AD 25-220). The one at Mount Wutai later became known as Xiantong Temple.

The first wave of major construction of Buddhist buildings in Mount Wutai began in the Southern and Northern Dynasties (AD 420-589). During the middle of sixth century, there were more than 200 Buddhist temples there. The second wave appeared during the peak of the Tang Dynasty (AD 618-907), when the temples surpassed 300, with over 3,000 monks and attracting pilgrims from as far as Korea, Japan, Sri Lanka and India.

However, in AD 845, Emperor Wuzong (AD 814-846) issued an edict to abolish Buddhism in China, saying it had adversely influenced politics, society and the economy. Like in many other areas in the country, most of the grandiose temples in Mount Wutai were reduced to ashes and monks were banished.

But when Emperor Xuanzong (AD 810-859) ascended the throne, he ordered rebuilding of Buddhist temples. In the following centuries, many new monasteries and temples were built in Mount Wutai.

As a result, Mount Wutai has long been deemed by both Chinese and overseas architects as a great museum to study ancient Chinese architecture.

The architectural gems there include some of the country’s oldest wooden buildings, such as the main hall of Nanchan Temple and the East Hall of Foguang Temple, built in AD 782 and AD 857, respectively.

The main hall of Nanchan Temple, the only temple that survived the AD 845 campaign against Buddhism, is the country’s oldest wooden architecture.

Without a single pillar inside the hall, it features a simple structure and a gable and hip roof with a single eave. It still houses more than a dozen Buddhist statues created during the Tang Dynasty.

The East Hall of Foguang Temple is much larger than the main hall of Nanchan Temple. It has sophisticated bracket set works and an imposing structure. It also houses several giant Buddhist statues and precious Tang murals.

Also, there are three halls without beams, one large and two small ones, in the Tongxian Temple. They were built with bricks during the early years of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), when China’s brick-making reached its zenith. The two-story halls with no beams were built with cleverly designed arches. The largest arch has a span of 9.5 meters.

In the same temple, there’s also a Bronze Hall, surrounded by numerous small pagodas. The hall is 5 meters tall and weighs 50 tons. Inside, its four walls are decorated with 10,000 miniature bronze Buddhist statues.

In 2009, Mount Wutai was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

?? (w? jià) Truss (II)

The ancient Chinese roof trusses can be roughly divided into two types, namely, the post-and-lintel construction (?????) and the post-and-baulk construction (???).

The former used two or more levels of post and lintel structure to uphold the roof and the latter used square logs to bind together pillars and posts to provide support to the roof.

The post-and-lintel construction was widely applied in official buildings, temples and folk houses in the northern part of the country, while the post-and-baulk construction was often seen in the south.

However, sometimes, both wooden roof trusses were used in the same building.

By Zhang Ciyun

Big Uncle

Re: Five-Peaked Mountain the Abode of Dorje Shugden Who is Manjushri
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »
Wu Tai Shan is well-known to be the abode of Manjushri so its no surprise that it is also the abode of Dorje Shugden. According to the Kangsol, Dorje Shugden resides also in Sakya temple of Mug Chung because he was first enthroned there as a Dharma Protector, in Gaden and under the throne of Lama Tsongkhapa as witnessed by the mahasiddha Tagphu Pemavajra, Kacho Shing or Keajra pure realm of Vajrayogini and mystical kingdom of Shambala. There are more but these are the main 5 places that we invite Dorje Shugden to come forth during the invocation part of his Kangsol. This was written by Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche himself.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Yes. Wu Tai Shan, or five peaked mountain is mentioned in Dorje Shugden's Kangso. Being an emanation of Manjushri, there is no doubt that the protector resides in this area. Manjushri in all his emanations surely resides there, so there is no doubt. I hope one day that I would be able to travel to China for a pilgrimage of this holy site. I would love to perform my Manjushri Practice there together with the Kangso. That is one of my dreams.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
Wutaishan Mountain in China is considered special for the Buddhist deity/bodhisattva Manjushri. In fact, it is a favorite place for Emperor Kang Xi.

According to oral history and Chinese literature it was Chogyal Pagpa who first talked about the five different forms of Manjushri that are represented on each of the five peaks (actually terraces): central and four directions.

For Buddhists Wutai Shan has great significance because Buddha mentioned in the sutras that Wutai Shan was a spot between his two eyebrows where Manjushri would reside, teach and benefit sentient being.

Up to today, there are 68 temples remain.
Here the link to the view of WutaiShan temples  : Buddhist Temples at Wutai Shan
Buddhist Temples at Wutai Shan ??????? Small | Large

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Wow! The Five-Peaked Mountain in China is certainly going to be my next pilgrimage destination. I am totally intrigued by the fact that Lord Manjushri have manifested and appeared to some visitors to this holy mountain. It has been said that not everyone who wished to ascend to any of the peak would have their wish fulfilled as a sudden change in the weather condition could cause poor visibility.
Since Dorje Shugden is the emanation of Manjushri in the protector form, it means that Dorje Shugden is been worshipped by the Qing Emperors. May I have the merits to be able to set foot on this very holy abode of the Buddha of wisdom.

Manjushri

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 03:10:14 AM »
It is no surprise that the Emperors, like Emperor Kangxi, retreated into temples in Wu Tai Shan during the summer. The Qing Dynasty, and its emperors has promoted Tibetan Buddhism during their time and caused the flourish in its practise during their time. It is believed that Emperor Kangxi is an emanation of Dorje Shugden, and with all that he achieved as emperor, wisdom must have been on his side. The Emperors also cultivated good relationship with Tibet, especially with the Dalai Lamas and Panchen lamas. They integrated Tibetan Buddhism within China to promote national unity.

Wu Tai Shan is somewhere I definitely would want to go in the future. Just like the Swayambhunath stupa in Nepal, where Buddha Manjushree taught, the energy at these places must be extraordinary.

Read more about Emperor Kangxi here:
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/emperors-of-china/

vajrastorm

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
Wu Tai Shan is a fascinating place at so many levels. For me it is amazing that this is the place where Tibetan Buddhism crossed paths with Chinese Buddhism.This happened mostly during the Qing dynasty. The Emperors of the Qing dynasty were thought by Tibetans to be emanations of Manjushri. Dorje Shugden, an emanation of Manjushri, also resides here.Indeed, Dorje Shugden is said to have incarnated as the Emperor Kiangsi. Furthermore, the Qing Dynasty Emperors then cultivated a close relationship with Tibet especially with the Dalai Lamas, the Panchen Lamas and the Changkya Lamas(Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche's previous incarnation). This makes for a strong connection between the Gelug Lineage and the Chinese Emperors. in days of old.

Q

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:07 AM »
Yes, just like what Big Uncle shared, Wu Tai Shan sure is a place where Dorje Shugden reside. However, I've visited the place before and I don't believe I've seen any Dorje Shugden statues there. I wonder if anyone saw a statue in Wu Tai before, perhaps they can share it here?

icy

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:35:46 AM »
Yes, just like what Big Uncle shared, Wu Tai Shan sure is a place where Dorje Shugden reside. However, I've visited the place before and I don't believe I've seen any Dorje Shugden statues there. I wonder if anyone saw a statue in Wu Tai before, perhaps they can share it here?

You are right Q there aren't any dorje Shugden statues at Wu Tai Shan now but there are Manjushri statues in temples there in Chinese Mahayana style.  When I made a pilgrimage there I left some DS brochures at some bigger temples to create causes for Dorje Shugden to arise there.  Dorje Shugden will be a big hit at Wu Tai Shan eventually as the renaissance of Dorje Shugden has started.  Hence, naturally in the near future we will see many Dorje Shugden statues in Tibetan Monasteries sprouting out at Wu Tai Shan.

bonfire

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »
Wu Tai Shan is well-known to be the abode of Manjushri so its no surprise that it is also the abode of Dorje Shugden. According to the Kangsol, Dorje Shugden resides also in Sakya temple of Mug Chung because he was first enthroned there as a Dharma Protector, in Gaden and under the throne of Lama Tsongkhapa as witnessed by the mahasiddha Tagphu Pemavajra, Kacho Shing or Keajra pure realm of Vajrayogini and mystical kingdom of Shambala. There are more but these are the main 5 places that we invite Dorje Shugden to come forth during the invocation part of his Kangsol. This was written by Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche himself.

Thank you so much for this valuable information Big Uncle.
Just for making sure I got this correctly, these are the 5 places that we invite Dorje Shugden to come forth during the invocation part of his Kangsol:

in Wu Tai Shan or Five-Peaked Mountain

in Sakya temple of Mug Chung (because he was first enthroned there as a Dharma Protector)

in Gaden monastery, under the throne of Lama Tsongkhapa (as witnessed by the mahasiddha Tagphu Pemavajra, Kacho Shing)

in Keajra pure realm of Vajrayogini

in the mystical kingdom of Shambala.

Did I get this right?

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
Five Peaked Mountain or Wu Tai Shan which is very popular because it is also the abode of Manjushri and also the abode of Dorje Shugden as well.
It is one of the world's heritage and it will be nice if everyone can visit this place once in their lifetime as this is where Dorje Shugden reside.

RedLantern

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »
Wu Tai Shan mountain has been Chin's most sacred Buddhist ground mainly because it was where Manjushri, the Bodhisattva of wisdom once lived and taught Buddhism.
May all those who set foot on this holy place be blessed by Dorje Shugden.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
Wu-tai-shan is definitely the special abode of Manjushri. The Flower Garland Sutra says,  “In a land on the northeastern boarder from here, there is a holy site called ‘Clear and Cool Mountain.’ In former times many bodhisattvas resided there. Nowadays the bodhisattva, the noble Manjushri, resides there, together with a retinue of ten thousand bodhisattvas, and preaches the holy dharma.” In addition, the Ratnagarbha-?dharani Sutra says, “The Bhagavat proclaimed to Gyelwo Kyinkang Mekyi (Vajrap??i), ‘After I pass away, on the northeastern edge of the Rose Apple Continent, there is a great holy place called ‘Five-Peak Mountain’ where the youthful Manjushri roams and dwells and preaches the dharma for the sake of all beings. Innumerable deities of the eight classes of gods and serpent spirits (naga), together with their retinues, pay obeisance to him.”

Historically, it was Drogon Chogyal Pagpa (fifth leader of the Sakya school; the first vice-king of Tibet and also the guru and spiritual advisor to Kublai Khan, ruler of the Mongol Empire and the Yuan Dynasty) who first recognized the five different forms of Manjushri to be represented by each of the five peaks. Later on, the five forms of Je Tsongkapa, based on the visions of Khedrub Je, also became associated with the five peaks, which is not surprising at all given that Je Tsongkhapa was an emanation of Manjushri. Accordingly the same can be said of the five forms of Manjushri Dorje Shugden.  The five forms of Manjushri and Tsongkapa are represented in a unique map/painting:

Another interesting connection between Wu-tai-shan and Manjushri Dorje Shugden is Changyal Rolpe Dorje who was important in giving the site a Tibetan and Mongolian Buddhist identity. The Master wrote a Tibetan guide to Wu-tai-shan, which actively promoted pilgrimage to the sacred mountains, among the Mongols and Tibetans. Changyal Rolpe Dorje spent 3 years in meditative retreat at Taming the Ocean Monastery on Wu-tai-shan, until his death there in 1786. He was buried on the mountain. His modern day reincarnation is the Great Pabongkha Rinpoche who counselled the importance of Manjushri Dorje Shugden's practice to this degenerate era.

It is also said that Tibetan astrology originated from the teachings of Manjushri while he dwelt on Wu-Tai-shan.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:06:36 PM by vajratruth »

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
For me it's interesting that this infamous Five-Peaked Mountain mentioned in the Buddhism prayers is actually a physical mountain in this realm. How does on conclude which mountains or paradises mentioned are physically in is realm and which are not? For example, many believes Shambala is on Earth and some claimed it's somewhere in Tibet but thee is no hard photography evidence of the city or people of Shambala as described in the Buddhism texts. Similarly I have read debates about the location or existent of Mount Meru on Earth.

I have also heard of lakes and forests around the world that are apparently abodes of certain deities, etc. So does that mean in actual fact all these paradises of deities are actually a place on Earth or have a parallel existence in the same space.....

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
Wow... this is such an interesting topic on the abode of Manjushri Dorje Shugden in Wu Tai Shan.

Here is a series of published articles on Wu Tai Shan and Tibetan Buddhism by the Journal of International Association of Tibetan Studies:

http://www.thlib.org/static/reprints/jiats/06/pdfs/debreczenyJIATS_06_2011.pdf

But truly, mountain sites are often perceived to be mystical and the residence of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas not only in Buddhism but also in other religions. Mount Kailash is said to be the holy abode of Shiva and his wife, Parvathi.