Author Topic: Dalai Lama concerned over situation in Tibet  (Read 3392 times)

DharmaSpace

Dalai Lama concerned over situation in Tibet
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has once again voiced his concern over the situation in Tibet, saying their language and religion are facing a threat.

"Hardline officials continue to target Tibetan language and religion," the Nobel Peace Prize laureate told reporters in Rotterdam, in the Netherlands, said a post on his official web site Sunday.

On being asked how long Tibetans could be expected to remain non-violent, the Dalai Lama said Saturday: "If Tibetan Buddhist culture is damaged in Tibet, who knows what will happen."

"We're Buddhists and the Buddha advised us not to take refuge in ordinary deities and spirits," the Buddhist monk remarked on ongoing demonstrations by pro-Shugden supporters against him.

"The demonstrators say I've banned this practice, but that's not so, I haven't and the monasteries associated with Shugden in South India are evidence of this," he added.

Later, addressing a gathering of Tibetans, he said: "The spirit of the people in Tibet is very strong... their courage is amazing. And they remain non-violent."

"We retain a strong dedication to our religion and culture and because of aspirations we have made in the past, we have not let our heritage down. After 60 years, the issue of Tibet is still alive. Awareness of Tibet is still growing," he said.

The Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, has been following a "middle-path" policy that seeks "greater autonomy" for Tibetans in China rather than complete independence.

The Dalai Lama has travelled across the world to garner support for "meaningful autonomy" for Tibet, promoting human values and teaching Buddhism.

Beijing accuses him as a trouble-making separatist.

The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. The Tibetan exile administration is based in this northern Indian hill town.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/dalai-lama-concerned-over-situation-in-tibet-114051100562_1.html

"We're Buddhists and the Buddha advised us not to take refuge in ordinary deities and spirits," the Buddhist monk remarked on ongoing demonstrations by pro-Shugden supporters against him.

I really like what is said which matches the refuge commitments of not relying on spirits like Nechung.  Wait a minute the CTA and Dalai Lama still consults Nechung for state matters. Doesn't that make CTA less than what qualifies as being Buddhist in nature?

"The demonstrators say I've banned this practice, but that's not so, I haven't and the monasteries associated with Shugden in South India are evidence of this," he added.

It is a sad and happy day simultaneously when Shar Gaden and Serpom were formed. Sad because monks had to divide up the dharma institution into parts, the Gelug monks are now split this situation is bordering schism, a very sad day for the Lama Tsongkhapa tradition.

Happy because Dorje Shugden practice  is now protected by qualified monks who adhere to their guru student relationships and the top gelugpa masters there are.

I wish this E-paper would do its fair share of investigative journalism before publishing this article which misrepresents the Dorje Shugden ban in India and around the world. Oppression is happening in the largest democracy outside of the US, Mother India one of the current protectors of the Buddha Dharma please address this injustice.   

Later, addressing a gathering of Tibetans, he said: "The spirit of the people in Tibet is very strong... their courage is amazing. And they remain non-violent."

The Dorje Shugden ban has split the Tibetans more than any issues in the past. Tibetans have oppressed, conducted physical and mental violence on their own people. How can oppression lead to freedom? The cause is similar to the results.

lotus1

Re: Dalai Lama concerned over situation in Tibet
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
We're Buddhists and the Buddha advised us not to take refuge in ordinary deities and spirits," the Buddhist monk remarked on ongoing demonstrations by pro-Shugden supporters against him.

Only His Holiness 14th Dalai Lama said that Dorje Shugden is a spirits while Dorje Shugden has been validated and taught by great lama such as Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Domo Geshe Rinpoche, Panchen Rinpoche, Pabongka Rinpoche, 30th Sakya Throneholder Sonam Rinchen, Kyabje LIng Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche, etc. Are they all wrong? As we all know in Tibetan Buddhism, the authentic of a lineage is very important, how could HH Dalai Lama denied all the high lineage masters especially some of them are his teachers? I am most puzzled when HH Dalai Lama asked others not to practice Dorje Shugden, but HH has allowed the current incarnation of HH Trijang Rinpoche to practice. What’s the logic?
Dalai Lama says Trijang Rinpoche can practise Dorje Shugden Small | Large

lotus1

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:34:09 PM »

However, if we check back on what His Holiness Dalai Lama has said in the earlier years, HH has strong encourages the expulsion of monks from the monasteries, should they wish to continue practicing Dorje Shugden. At around 3:55 min of the following video, he said, “I began this ban to continue the Fifth Dalai Lama’s legacy. I started this by myself and I have to continue, and carried it to the end.”
۝ Small | Large

Check out on more contradictory statements by His Holiness:
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/contradiction-in-the-dalai-lamas-public-statements/

If there is no ban, why so many Dorje Shugden practitioners are oppressed and denied on their human rights?

Please lift the ban. Please do not create any more harm and sufferings to the Dorje Shugden practitioners who are not harming anyone but merely following the teachings from their Gurus with devotion.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 02:45:27 AM »
Well, Dalai Lama, if you are who you are and you must have compassion. Therefore, you must also be concerned with the sufferings of Shugden practitioners in India, Tibet as well as all over the world. It is clear and you can easily see much evidences that the ban had created this much sufferings. If you have done this  for a greater purpose, may the purpose come to fruition quickly. Due to Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's advice, I cannot see that you did it for any other lesser reason.

Therefore, we Shugden practitioners implore the Dalai Lama to have greater concern and if necessary through your immense wisdom find other more peaceful ways to accomplish the actual goals of the Shugden ban. This is so that the sufferings of Shugden practitioner everywhere can be released when the ban comes down.