Author Topic: Dalai Lama Says No Need for Successor  (Read 12411 times)

icy

Dalai Lama Says No Need for Successor
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:40 AM »
The 14th Dalai Lama said he would be the last of the Dalai Lamas but I think China will not let this rest.  China will pick the 15th Dalai Lama to control the stability of Tibet and the 15th Dalai Lama will practise the protector practice of Dorje Shugden by which time the practice will flourish strongly in Tibet and China proliferate by all great Shugden lamas.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama, during a news conference after the final session of the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Chicago. (Charles Rex Arbogast, AP)

2014-09-07 21:20

Berlin - The Dalai Lama has told a German newspaper that he should be the last Tibetan spiritual leader, ending a centuries-old religious tradition from his Himalayan homeland.

His comments to the Welt am Sonntag newspaper echo his previous statement that "the institution of the Dalai Lama has served its purpose", but were even more explicit.

"We had a Dalai Lama for almost five centuries. The 14th Dalai Lama now is very popular. Let us then finish with a popular Dalai Lama," he said.

"If a weak Dalai Lama comes along, then it will just disgrace the Dalai Lama," he added with a laugh, according to a transcript of the English language interview.

He also said: "Tibetan Buddhism is not dependent on one individual. We have a very good organisational structure with highly trained monks and scholars."

China has governed Tibet since 1951, a year after invading, and the Dalai Lama fled across the Himalayas to India after a failed 1959 uprising against Chinese rule.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner in 2011 retired from political duties and has upgraded the role of prime minister of the Tibetan exile community.

But he is still the most powerful rallying point for Tibetans, both in exile and in their homeland, and remains the universally recognised face of the movement.

Asked by the German newspaper how much longer he may carry on his advocacy duties, the 79-year-old said: "The doctors say I could become 100 years old. But in my dreams I will die at the age of 113 years.

"I hope and pray that I may return to this world as long as sentient beings' suffering remains. I mean not in the same body, but with the same spirit and the same soul."

On the question of whether he may ever be able to return to Tibet, he said: "Yes, I am sure of that. China can no longer isolate itself, it must follow the global trend towards a democratic society."

fruven

Re: Dalai Lama Says No Need for Successor
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:47:21 AM »
We never know for sure what China is planning for in the near short future but China has chosen the Panchen Lama many years ago. China is one of the most populated country in the world. One could wonder if Chinese promotes the idea of the next Dalai Lama in China what would the Chinese people do? Will they start believing in the Dalai Lama?

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:39:39 AM »
Let's hope that China is smart enough not to pick another Dalai Lama; we don't need anymore one guy in charge of everything dudes for religion, we don't need it for anything else either--- I don't want to listen to the theocracy going on in the next lives.
  It would be really smart if he went unrecognized; that would be IMMENSELY helpful to all living beings.  Also, I hope he has a long time to live so he can do lots of Vajrasattva or they are going to have to find him in the lower realms...

Ringo Starr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »
That is interesting. It takes a special one to know when his job is done.

The First Dalai Lama:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/1st_Dalai_Lama.jpg

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:19:35 AM »
I'm not sure if China will "choose" another Dalai Lama once the 14th Dalai Lama passes away, or even if they do... I doubt they'll do so quickly. The reason being that they already have chosen a Panchen Lama. Once the Dalai Lama passes away, I believe that they will bring the Panchen Lama to the forefront in an attempt to bring stability to the region and promote the current political situation as best.

If the recognized line of Dalai Lamas ends with the 14th Dalai Lama it will be a great shame as their religious works have been instrumental within the Gelugpa tradition. However I believe that Chenresig as the Buddha of Compassion would appear in human form again and again to benefit beings through the practice of the Dharma. Perhaps if indeed the line of Dalai Lama's end, then maybe there will be another line of incarnate masters that comes to the forefront of Tibetan Buddhism...     

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 04:24:26 AM »
Ah let us not forget that China chose a Karmapa in addition to a Panchen lama, I guess to keep their control of the Tibetan people open.
  So, I think what would be most awesome for everyone involved, is if China would like, get out of the recognition process and instead make a rule that nobody involved as a head of a religous school or organization can be a political leader, because otherwise it will be like, Chinese authority over some semi-feudal puppet dictator over the the Tibetan people and you know, nobody wants all that authority in any life.
  The Dalai Lama can't pick religion and boss us all around; China can't pick religion and boss us all around, and also, since I am an American, I would just like to say that I really don't appreciate the U.S. government trying to use the Dalai Lama as an icon of perfection and democracy because we all know what an oppressive uh....word monks can hear... dictator he has been, and would be.  Like the American government would not say anything the Catholic Pope (who really is a Pope, unlike the DL) is just fine.  So if the Pope said, oh, I'm the only guy in charge of all of Christainity, would the American government believe that?  Nope, because almost every U.S. President has been a Protestant.  So, I really wish they'd stop trying to use his "perfect faultless" image in their brainwashing against communism; I don't think communism is really a threat to the U.S. anymore, so maybe they could stop doing it.  It would be greatly appreciated, as I feel they are trampling on my Constitutional rights when they act like the Dalai Lama is so perfect or something.  I hope to all that is holy we have no successor to him, and we keep religion and politics separate--- whatever exact form of government Tibet ends up with--- I mean we just really don't need those to mix, it never, ever, helps anybody.

icy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:58 AM »
CTA disputes the report on Dalai Lama's last incarnation.  CTA says whether the Dalai Lama reincarnates will depend on Tibetan people and this has always been the Dalai Lama's stance.

VOA News
September 09, 2014 4:36 PM

Tibetans are disputing a report in a German newspaper in which the Tibetan spiritual leader is quoted as hinting that he may be the last Dalai Lama.

An official at Ganden Phodrang, the official institution of His Holiness the Dalai Lama based in Dharamsala, India, told VOA Tibetan the quote in Welt am Sonntag is incomplete and only part of a much longer and fuller response to a question about reincarnation.

The paper quoted the Dalai Lama as saying, “We had a Dalai Lama for almost five centuries. The 14th Dalai Lama now is very popular. Let us then finish with a popular Dalai Lama."

But the official in Dharamsala says the Tibetan spiritual leader went on to say the ultimate decision on whether the institution of the Dalai Lama should continue or cease to exist will be up to the Tibetan people.

They say that position is not a new one and in fact has been stated many times by the Dalai Lama over several decades.

The Dalai Lama and his predecessors have historically been critical political figures in addition to their position as spiritual leaders. The current Dalai Lama says he has ceased his role as the political leader of the Tibetan people.

icy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »
From this report of China,  I strongly believe China is waiting for the right time to pick the 15th Dalai Lama. 

China tells Dalai Lama again to respect reincarnation
Source: Reuters - Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:17 GMT

BEIJING, Sept 10 (Reuters) - China repeated a call on the Dalai Lama on Wednesday to respect what it said was the historic practice of reincarnation, after the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader implied in a newspaper interview he may be the last to hold the position.

The Dalai Lama, in an interview with German newspaper Welt am Sonntag, said the tradition of the post could end with him, adding the Tibetan Buddhism was not dependent on a single person.

The Dalai Lama, 79, has stated previously that he will not be reborn in China if Tibet is not free and that no one, including China, has the right to choose his successor "for political ends". China has previously warned the Dalai Lama he has no right to abandon the tradition of reincarnation.

China, which regards the Dalai Lama as a dangerous separatist, has ruled Tibet with an iron fist since Communist troops marched in 1950. The Dalai Lama fled into exile in India in 1959 after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told a daily news briefing that when it came to the reincarnation of living Buddhas, including the Dalai Lama, China had a "set religious procedure and historic custom".

"China follows a policy of freedom of religion and belief, and this naturally includes having to respect and protect the ways of passing on Tibetan Buddhism," Hua said.

"The title of Dalai Lama is conferred by the central government, which has hundreds of years of history. The (present) 14th Dalai Lama has ulterior motives, and is seeking to distort and negate history, which is damaging to the normal order of Tibetan Buddhism."

In 1995, after the Dalai Lama named a boy in Tibet as the reincarnation of the previous Panchen Lama, the second highest figure in Tibetan Buddhism, China put that boy under house arrest and installed another in his place.

Many Tibetans spurn the Chinese-appointed Panchen Lama as a fake.

Traditionally, high lamas, Buddhist priests, can take years to identify a child deemed to be a reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, a search usually limited to Tibet.

Tibetans fear that China will use the issue of the Dalai Lama's religious succession to split Tibetan Buddhism, with one new Dalai Lama named by exiles and one by China after his death.

China says its rule has brought much needed development to poor and backward Tibet. Exiles and rights groups accuse China of failing to respect Tibet's unique religion and culture and of suppressing its people. (Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
China can give the Dalai Lama a run for his money on doublespeak and lies.  You know, it seems like a result similar to the cause that China would try to pretend that they can force the 'recogintion process to be respected," when in reality, they have totally destroyed the recognition process by picking their political people to be in charge. (Pretend Panchen Lama, Pretend Karmapa)
  So, from the actions of the Dalai Lama against the authentic Karmapa and against Dorje Shugden, I see that the Dalai Lama's choices are not to be trusted.
  Imagine that the 15th Dalai Lama is chosen by some messed up Chinese way, like they did with the China/DL Karmapa--- some kid that is raised in the communist school, that China can control.  Then, he picks whomever China wants for all the successors, since the 14th Dalai Lama has dangerously tried to pretend that he is in control of all of Buddhism.
  Upshot--- maybe the Dalai Lama IS a Buddha you guys, seriously, teaching completely in a wrathful or undercover backwards way--- no kidding--- DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DALAI LAMA RECOGNITIONs ANYMORE, including the 14th on... nothing they say with their mouth can be trusted.  THEY WILL NOT MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS EVER AGAIN.  The current one shows us that he isn't making the right decisions now, which helps wean people off him.... I mean, he doesn't like DOrje Shugden???  He says Trijang Rinpoche and Phabongkha Rinpoches are bad....???  He picked this communist raised boy to be the Karmapa and ignored the real one (which also eliminated his rival?) 
  Let's not listen to any Dalai Lamas ever again.  That's what I am getting from it.  Not the China picked one, not the Tibet picked one, both are political and corrupt....

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »
The Dalai Lama has no problems to find a new incarnation or be born in the place that is most beneficial for him to reappear. Perhaps in a way the Dalai Lama's position has outlived its usefulness, and the Dalai Lama being most compassionate can once again serve the dharma and sentient beings just not as a person called the Dalai Lama.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »
The Dalai Lama has no problems to find a new incarnation or be born in the place that is most beneficial for him to reappear. Perhaps in a way the Dalai Lama's position has outlived its usefulness, and the Dalai Lama being most compassionate can once again serve the dharma and sentient beings just not as a person called the Dalai Lama.

Well I think he may have more difficulty than that, as his actions involve two Sangha Schisms, going against his root guru, and since it doesn't look like he was anywhere near enlightened to begin with.  If he changes some actions, applies all four opponent powers, then you know he has MET enlightened beings before, like Trijang Rinpoche and Shamar Rinpoche, so one of them can help powa him to a pureland, but he needs to purify his karma, otherwise there is only so much they can do for him, just like for any ordinary sentient being.

icy

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
China snubs Dalai Lama, says it can appoint his successor.  Dalai Lama is indeed in great demand.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/42341462.cms?&utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Ringo Starr

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
All of this reminds me of how the Dalai Lama line of incarnations came about - it started when the then King of Mongolia Altan Khan, recognised Sonam Gyatso as (the 3rd) Dalai Lama.

It was rather political then and it could very well be political now. It could very well be that the Dalai Lama line of incarnations is ended by the current 14th Dalai Lama. And to me it would be a brilliant (political) move.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
You know, it's impossible to get away from all the lies in this--- the Panchen lama is not the 2nd highest figure in Buddhism; nor is the Dalai Lama the first--- the Dalai Lamas have not been enlightened since the time of the 5th obviously-- how are people going to find an unenlightened temporal leader again and again--- obviously it's difficult when a lot of their misdeeds, misascribed as "wrathful actions" would obviously land them in the lower realms.
  So, just like China wants to pick the Karmapa--- then too China wants to pick the Panchen lama and also the Dalai Lama.  Is the Dalai Lama surprised?  I mean he tried to trick everyone into the pretend Karmapa (his rival school) but then had a problem when China picked the pretend Panchen lama from his own school; obviously China isn't respecting re-incarnation if they are going to find a Dalai Lama or have someone find a Dalai Lama--- and the Dalai Lama has said he doesn't want that.  I am sure their picking a pretend Karmapa and a pretend Panchen lama are supposed to help them find a pretend Dalai Lama or something.... the basic issue is that the Chinese don't understand about Buddhism, but see it as a means to control in this instance....
  like they don't believe people re-incarnate, so who cares who you pick or something?
  Like I am saying this is the result similar to the cause for the Dalai Lama for interfering with the Karmapa and splitting his own school by disavowing Shugden--- both to further his own political agenda.

kris

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
I too agree that China will not let this rest. If the current 14th HH Dalai Lama do not name a successor, China will almost for sure "appoint" another HH Dalai Lama, and if this happen, then it is going to be very "ugly", where there will be a lot of disputes, disagreements, confusion, etc. I really pray we won't get into this sticky situation, because it will really degenerate Buddhism especially Tibetan Buddhism.

I pray that there will be a smooth transition, but before that, HH Dalai Lama needs to settle this Dorje Shugden issue...