Author Topic: Question about Dorje Shugden  (Read 5999 times)

Mind_Zenith

• Email
Question about Dorje Shugden
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:53 AM »
Hi, everyone!

I'm wondering about the Dorje Shugden practice, and not having contact with a Spiritual Guide. Unfortunately, I'm in the position where I've got on to the Western Shugden Society's website, and have been very taken by the Dorje Shugden practice, yet being away from any Spiritual Guide, the closest being associated with the Dalai Lama.

I've heard that, in the WSS, there are those who are in a similar position as me, who either view Dorje Shugden as their root Guru; or who simply believe prayer and practice to Dorje Shugden will lead them, eventually, to enlightenment. I'm more inclined towards the second idea.

Is this a congruent philosophy to have towards Dorje Shugden? Can one still be a Shugden practitioner (in lack of a better term) sans-Guide?

Thanks very much for your answer!
-Sam

a friend

Re: Question about Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:34:10 AM »
The holy Dharmapala is a supramundane Dharmapala, i.e., a Buddha. That being the case, you are more than safe seeking refuge, paying hommage, etc.
But the main thing here is to remember that he became a Protector to LORD TSONGKAPA'S TEACHINGS. So if you want to have a relationship with Dorje Shugden the best is to start studying Je Tsonkapa's teachings, be it directly in Je Tsonkapa's works, or in the works of the Lamas of his lineage. I assume that you might not read Tibetan? Well, in English you have already precious resources. All of Geshe Rabten Rinpoche's books belong to this categoy. (His books have been published through different Editorial houses).  All of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tharchin's books belong to this category (Look in Mahayana Sutra and Tantra Press). All of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche's books belong to this category. (Look in Tharpa Publications). And several others.
Another best thing  :) would be to pray and pray and pray --Lord Buddha, the Protector-- to find quickly a Teacher belonging to the lineage. And Mind_Zenith, be proactive, look for the Teacher. Start practicing the Lamrim. The Protector is going to be overjoyed and is going to help you at every step.
Best to you!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
Yes Mind_Zenith, I would agree with everything a friend has said...I'd also like to add one thing - Dorje Shugden's name itself refers to his enlightened state, so he's an appropriate object to take refuge in. 'Shug' means might or power, and 'Den' means irreversible - the only being to have irreversible power in this impermanent existence is a Buddha. What a friend said is right - be proactive and create the causes for you to meet a teacher. And once you are able to begin our Protector's practice, you'll see the only thing he wants from you is for you to uphold Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings well :)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
Dear DharmaDefender,

What a great reply you gave.

Thanks alot.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
Hi, everyone!

I'm wondering about the Dorje Shugden practice, and not having contact with a Spiritual Guide. Unfortunately, I'm in the position where I've got on to the Western Shugden Society's website, and have been very taken by the Dorje Shugden practice, yet being away from any Spiritual Guide, the closest being associated with the Dalai Lama.

I've heard that, in the WSS, there are those who are in a similar position as me, who either view Dorje Shugden as their root Guru; or who simply believe prayer and practice to Dorje Shugden will lead them, eventually, to enlightenment. I'm more inclined towards the second idea.

Is this a congruent philosophy to have towards Dorje Shugden? Can one still be a Shugden practitioner (in lack of a better term) sans-Guide?

Thanks very much for your answer!
-Sam

Dear Sam,

Just to add to the great advice from A friend and Dharma Defender, I do believe that a spiritual guide is crucial to our Dharma progress but can empathise that you do not have one close to you. May I suggest that you google 'Rinpoche' and see whose teachings you have affinity with. Some spiritual guides have a lot of information on their website and probably a good way to get started. As  A Friend says, do also look for info on Lama Tsongkhapa and start to learn more about his practice. It will be a natural progression to propitiate Dorje Shugden as your Dharma Protector.

With best wishes for your spiritual progress..

Kate
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

honeydakini

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
Dear Mind Zenith,

There is also a good discussion going on on the threat "daily practice" regarding a question that newbie Mika asked about practice which gives more information about starting practice without a teacher.

Dorje Shugden is definitely a being that we can take refuge in as he is one with Manjushri who is a fully enlightened being. Also, Dorje Shugden is a particularly special Dharma Protector as he also has the same level of mind of a teaching Lama. Remember that his previous incarnations were the illustrious Panchen Sonam Drakpa and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen who were renowned and extremely highly attained Lamas who taught Dharma. Even now, when Dorje Shugden takes trance via an oracle, he gives Dharma teachings from the Lamrim and Je Tsongkhapa's teachingas, as his mind is equivalent to a Lama's. He is among the few - if not only - Dharma protectors who holds both vajra and bell when he enters through trance and does rituals, because he is highly skilled in both Sutra AND Tantra. He is definitely worthy of our refuge.

I will agree also with all that has been said by A Friend, Dharma Defender and Wisdom Being in that you can also begin to create the karmic causes and affinity to meet with a teacher by putting the teachings into practice first. Uphold the Dharma teachings well - use the Lamrim as a beautiful guide to practice - and create merit at every opportunity you can by making offerings, practising, meditation, contributing towards Dharma, participating in Dharma activities (if you have the opportunity in your area), reading books and putting what you learn into practice.

The Dharma Protectors help to create conducive conditions for your dharma practice to flourish unhindered, so if you start practicing now JOINED WITH propitiation and prayer to Dorje Shugden, all the necessities you need for practice will come swiftly - including a teacher, a conducive environment&situation to practice and even supportive Dharma communities.

Good luck!

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »
Dear Mind Zenith,

you've definitely come to the right place! Here we've got a bunch of really sincere people whom can help guide you to your spiritual path, your spiritual guide along with the mighty help of Lord Dorje Shugden.

other forumists have given most of their bit already. do browse thru this amazing website and soak yourself like a sponge the information of DS. U will gain a clarity of mind which will help u in your practice.

sarva Mangalam
HN
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:28:13 PM »
Welcome sam.

You found your home online for all information re Dojre Shugden. From history to hi-res pictures you can download to print out for you altar to even the saddhana of Dorje shugden. I'm sure you have bookmarked this site already and I hope we see you around in the forum.

Ask your questions there is more than enough people here who can answer you.
:)

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:36:55 PM »
Practising and having faith in Dorje Shugden is just so simple.  Have faith, say your prayers and then what is missing in your practice will be fulfilled.

As Dorje Shugden is the protector of Je Tsongkapa's doctrine, it is also good that we study more on this doctrine for more benefit to ourselves on our spiritual journey.

Pema8

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »

Dorje Shugden is definitely a being that we can take refuge in as he is one with Manjushri who is a fully enlightened being. Also, Dorje Shugden is a particularly special Dharma Protector as he also has the same level of mind of a teaching Lama. Remember that his previous incarnations were the illustrious Panchen Sonam Drakpa and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen who were renowned and extremely highly attained Lamas who taught Dharma. Even now, when Dorje Shugden takes trance via an oracle, he gives Dharma teachings from the Lamrim and Je Tsongkhapa's teachingas, as his mind is equivalent to a Lama's. He is among the few - if not only - Dharma protectors who holds both vajra and bell when he enters through trance and does rituals, because he is highly skilled in both Sutra AND Tantra. He is definitely worthy of our refuge.

I will agree also with all that has been said by A Friend, Dharma Defender and Wisdom Being in that you can also begin to create the karmic causes and affinity to meet with a teacher by putting the teachings into practice first. Uphold the Dharma teachings well - use the Lamrim as a beautiful guide to practice - and create merit at every opportunity you can by making offerings, practising, meditation, contributing towards Dharma, participating in Dharma activities (if you have the opportunity in your area), reading books and putting what you learn into practice.

The Dharma Protectors help to create conducive conditions for your dharma practice to flourish unhindered, so if you start practicing now JOINED WITH propitiation and prayer to Dorje Shugden, all the necessities you need for practice will come swiftly - including a teacher, a conducive environment&situation to practice and even supportive Dharma communities.

Good luck!

A Dharma Protector will create the conditions for our dharma practice to flourish unhindered. This is good to remember. Thank you for pointing this out again.

Everything we need will show up in order to have results on our way to enlightenment. We can rely on Him without hesitation.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
How many dharma protectors can give dharma teachings to tame the mind?

This puts Dorje Shugden in a most unique position and what makes Dorje Shudgen as the protector of our time. As dorje shugden manifests to provide advice and also guides us with Buddhist teachings how very amazing, hearing the dharma from an enlightened being like dorje shugden.

Most of us in our deluded state are not able to see buddhas and high level bodhisattvas, Dorje Shugden kind made that happen for most of us lowly beings, to be able to assess a Buddha. Amazing if you really think about it.