Author Topic: Obama meets Dalai lama next thursday  (Read 12811 times)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Obama meets Dalai lama next thursday
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »

Pelosi and White House at Odds?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/politics-15749652/18112852

Dalai lama issue fuels China Tension

http://news.yahoo.com/video/politics-15749652/18112195

by Stephen Collinson Stephen Collinson – 2 hrs 1 min ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The United States escalated a mounting row on multiple fronts with China, refusing Beijing's demand to cancel President Barack Obama's meeting next week with the Dalai Lama.
The deepening public spat over Tibet, a row over US arms sales to Taiwan, China's dispute with Google and trade and currency disagreements, come at a key diplomatic moment, as Obama seeks Chinese help to toughen sanctions on Iran.
The White House announced Thursday that Obama would hold his long-awaited meeting with the revered Dalai Lama at the White House next week, drawing an angry reaction from China and a demand for the invitation to be rescinded.

But Obama's spokesman Robert Gibbs signaled the White House would defy China's warning that the encounter would damage already strained Sino-US relations.
"I do not know if their specific reaction was to cancel it," Gibbs said.
"If that was their specific reaction, the meeting will take place as planned next Thursday."

Obama avoided the Dalai Lama when he was in Washington in 2009, in an apparent bid to set relations with Beijing off on a good foot in the first year of a presidency which included several meetings with President Hu Jintao.

But he warned Chinese leaders on an inaugural visit to Beijing in November that he intended to meet the Buddhist monk.
China's foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said earlier that Beijing firmly opposed "the Dalai Lama visiting the United States and US leaders having contact with him."

"China urges the US... to immediately call off the wrong decision of arranging for President Obama to meet with the Dalai Lama... to avoid any more damage to Sino-US relations."

The Dalai Lama fled Tibet into exile in India in 1959, after a failed uprising against Chinese rule. He denies he wants independence for Tibet, insisting he is looking only for "meaningful autonomy."

Obama's meeting with the Dalai Lama will take place in the White House Map Room and not, in an apparent effort to mollify China, in the Oval Office, where US presidents normally meet VIPs and visiting government chiefs.

The International Campaign for Tibet said Friday it welcomed the meeting.
"We believe that President Obama understands what is at stake for the Tibetan people and has a role to play as the leader of a nation founded on universal principles of freedom and justice," said the campaign's vice president for international advocacy Mary Beth Markey.

The Obama administration has insisted disputes over Tibet, Taiwan, currency and Google will not hamper efforts to win the support of China, a veto-wielding member of the UN Security Council, on toughened nuclear sanctions against Iran.

China has yet to agree to the concept of toughened sanctions over Iran's nuclear program, calling for more negotiations, even as Russia appears closer to backing the move to punish Tehran.

US officials say that the Sino-US relationship is mature enough to override disagreements on key issues but the temperature of public disagreements has risen sharply in recent days.

The powers have clashed over a 6.4-billion-dollar US arms deal for Taiwan, with China accusing the United States of violating the "code of conduct between nations" with the sale to what it sees as a Chinese territory.

Beijing also has been angered by Washington's support for Google after the web giant announced it would no longer abide by China's strict Internet censorship rules and could quit the country over cyberattacks.

The foreign ministry denied involvement in the hacking of Gmail accounts and accused Washington of "double standards" after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton lamented the restrictions on China's 384 million Internet users.

Earlier this month, Obama said he planned to be "much tougher" about enforcing trade rules with China, and favored constant pressure on Beijing over opening markets and on currency rates.
China responded by dismissing US "wrongful accusations and pressure."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:50:10 AM by tk »

thor

Re: Obama meets Dalai lama next thursday
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:48:51 PM »
Dalai Lama is the most famous personality that Tibetan Buddhism has to offer. He is THE face of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, at least to many people who have heard little to nothing about Tibetan Buddhism before this. What will be the effect on these people when they hear about the Shugden controversy?

Tarnishing the image of the Dalai Lama will affect the reputation of Tibetan Buddhism. After all, it is the leader of the Tibetan Buddhists who is being blamed and accused of discrimination and human rights abuse. That will leave a stain in the people's minds that will be difficult to eradicate. What's more, it is only a group of Western practitioners who are speaking out. The other leaders including those practising high lamas within the Gelugpa sect say and do nothing. They will be seen to support the actions of the Dalai Lama also.

I am not talking about what these high Shugden lamas themselves think or say in private. I am referring to the impression the rest of the world will have. Like Atisha's cook says, there may be disciples of these lamas at demonstrations but no one knows who these lamas are.

Dalai Lama is lying. He has put this ban in place. Many are suffering as a result of this ban. But will discrediting Dalai Lama serve the purpose of giving religious freedom to all? Or will it damage Tibetan Buddhism in the long run?

Whether Dalai Lama is acting out of selfish self interest and political power, or if he really has a bigger picture in mind, none of us will ever know. We can argue and debate till the cows come home yet the question will remain unanswered.

But once Dalai Lama passes away, we will be free to practise Dorje Shugden openly and his practise will be BIG. Why?

ONE: No one else commands the same power as Dalai Lama to enforce this ban. When he is gone, the ban will fade away. Or it will be lifted.

TWO: Of the younger Gelugpa high lamas, most are Dorje Shugden practitioners. Some have openly declared their position, others are practising in secret FOR NOW. The key word is FOR NOW. When the time is right, and they come into 'power' and start teaching, what practices do you think they will teach? They are not holding the lineage of Dorje Shugden for nothing. And in their previous lives they were well-known for being practitioners of Dorje Shugden.

Both factors above will combine to make Dorje Shugden's practice HUGE in the near future - the time is coming. He will be a protector for our time.

The WSS protests have created more awareness about Dorje Shugden. And from this awareness has arisen more practitioners in places like China for example. I do not like the WSS taking a hard line against the Dalai Lama's policy but it has helped to create this awareness. But the protests should be a method to promote Dorje Shugden NOT to defame the Dalai Lama.

Dalai Lama has made Dorje Shugden famous in a way that no one else can AT THIS TIME. I'm am not referring to his motivation. I am just referring to the facts.

Hold Dorje Shugden close to your heart. And refrain from speaking negatively about the Dalai Lama. Showing a positive example will win more people over to this side in the long run. Buddhism is a religion of peace. No wars have been fought in the name of Buddhism. Let us not condone one.

a friend

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »

Dear Dulzin,
To go on repeating the same again and again and again will not produce the result of changing other´s minds. By the way, since you don´t like to be called Noob, it´s over, I won´t call you that again (maybe in a general way but not to you).
You know, I was reading some posts from a couple of people of your group, the n... ewbies, where they say that they don´t know in what way the Dalai Lama slandered his Lamas, our holy Lamas.
I think you should study more what really happened ... your heart would turn several times inside your chest and you would cry out of shame and sadness.
The fact that a group of people doesn´t know what really went on concerning this matter does not mean that it´s never going to be known. Everything is out there, one way or the other. And when people are going to realize what really happened, what do you think they will think of us if we try to cover up? This is not appreciated in our culture, to cover up.
You say that to speak against the Dalai Lama is going to harm Tibetan Buddhism. I don´t think so. It´s going to be a way of protecting it.
Much worse is that people think that wrong actions are acceptable because somebody gave you some type of Buddhist title. That wrong actions are accepted out of some mystical hidden intention. This indeed would produce a true destruction of the Buddhadharma. This I am going to keep repeating as long as you try to tell us otherwise.

Middleway

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:30 PM »

Much worse is that people think that wrong actions are acceptable because somebody gave you some type of Buddhist title. That wrong actions are accepted out of some mystical hidden intention.

I'm just trying to imagine using those reasons to justify someone's evil actions to 'Joe Bloggs' on the street. "No, don't worry your pretty little head about it, he's acting according to a bigger picture, he's a lama you know, we can't understand." It's a tribute to whatever kind of PR voodoo he's been working all these years that the DL hasn't been called out for a liar by the whole world already.  But - more & more people I'm speaking to are seeing through the glittering veil of lies.  Have you guys & gals seen this video?:

http://www.barackobamavideos.net/dalai-lama-meeting-with-obama

Lineageholder

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »
When Obama and the Dalai Lama meet, at least they will both have something in common.  Neither of them should be recipients of a Nobel Peace Prize in a world that knows the truth.

emptymountains

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
 :D

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »

Much worse is that people think that wrong actions are acceptable because somebody gave you some type of Buddhist title. That wrong actions are accepted out of some mystical hidden intention. This indeed would produce a true destruction of the Buddhadharma. This I am going to keep repeating as long as you try to tell us otherwise.

Dear One,

I've been reading these group of n...ewbies posts and they do seem adamant about their views which i do share in some ways.

I like to point something out to you. I don't know your background or your depth in Buddhism but i know enough that we should not critisize someone who have been holding his vows which he got from his preceptors for over 50 years now. and who are we to critisize him if he has the highest Geshe degree in Tibet all these gain him respect and also credentials to be able to lead a nation deeply steeped in the Buddha's doctrine.

It is therefore not a given title and I do believe that His Holiness does know what he is doing and he is doing it for a good reason which I won't repeat myself regarding the big picture the Buddhas have for us.

Just a pointer.

truce,
HN
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

a friend

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
but i know enough that we should not critisize someone who have been holding his vows which he got from his preceptors for over 50 years now

Dear one, I don´t know you enough to guess if you are kidding me or not. If you are not, then please go and study the history of this matter we are talking about.
Mind you, I have nothing to say about his vows that pertain to his own private life. I just want to know how you call giving up your Guru, slandering him and the Lamas of the lineage, forcing a schism in the Sangha, and all the rest. (I don´t want to go in the specific detail of which vows we are talking about here, I still feel ashamed to even have to talk about it, so please, please, don´t force me to do it again and again just for reestablishing valid conventional truth.)

Big Uncle

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
Hmmmmm! How exciting! The Dalai Lama takes world center stage once again. I do hope WSS is there ready to protest so as to allow the world to know about Dorje Shugden indirectly. I am sure the Dalai Lama had planned this. The stars are just so aligned! How kind is the Dalai Lama to let his name be smeared so Dorje Shugden can arise in the world! (Ok! I know before you guys argue about this. This is my own personal belief! Alrighty?)

Anyway, wherever Dalai Lama goes, Dorje Shugden is bound to follow due to the protests and critics. These days, it almost goes without saying.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 01:52:59 AM »
Hmmmmm! How exciting! The Dalai Lama takes world center stage once again. I do hope WSS is there ready to protest so as to allow the world to know about Dorje Shugden indirectly. I am sure the Dalai Lama had planned this. The stars are just so aligned! How kind is the Dalai Lama to let his name be smeared so Dorje Shugden can arise in the world! (Ok! I know before you guys argue about this. This is my own personal belief! Alrighty?)

Anyway, wherever Dalai Lama goes, Dorje Shugden is bound to follow due to the protests and critics. These days, it almost goes without saying.

Well then let's keep watch and wait, the meeting is ever closer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8520542.stm

I bet you though, they'll come up with the same statement as they always do - that the US understands the position that the TGIE is in, that the Dalai Lama was met as a religious leader and not on a secular basis, that China's fears are unfounded about how much support the US is giving, that the US hopes a resolution will be found to the issue soon, that Obama is trying to build bridges, etc. ;)

It's the same ineffectual, non-committal stuff we always hear...it makes you wonder what is said during the talks, surely both sides must be tired of repeating the same thing again and again!

It's not that Obama / US don't want to take a stand, but economics make it difficult to. Which is why the WSS are effective in their protests in that they are not bound by the fears of economic reprecussions. However, like duldzin said, "the protests should be a method to promote Dorje Shugden NOT to defame the Dalai Lama." Especially with the spotlight turned on to them now (because you know this meeting is going to be mentioned on the Beeb, CNN, etc) it's a good opportunity to spread Dorje Shugden's name.

Lineageholder

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
Watch the fraud Lama on religious harmony, freedom, 'human values' and on women being 'biologically' more compassionate  :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8523003.stm

Go figure!  How can he speak in that way when his actions are opposite?

Geronimo

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »
One picture says it all with Obama seems to meet the White House statement and kept it cool! He told him to respect his citizenship as a Chinese and keep his nose out of trouble and maybe he can go home. So it says to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/4367752395/sizes/l/

White House Blog:

His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama at the White House
Posted by Jesse Lee on February 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM EST

Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said of the meeting today:

The President met this morning at the White House with His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama. The President stated his strong support for the preservation of Tibet’s unique religious, cultural and linguistic identity and the protection of human rights for Tibetans in the People’s Republic of China. The President commended the Dalai Lama's "Middle Way" approach, his commitment to nonviolence and his pursuit of dialogue with the Chinese government. The President stressed that he has consistently encouraged both sides to engage in direct dialogue to resolve differences and was pleased to hear about the recent resumption of talks. The President and the Dalai Lama agreed on the importance of a positive and cooperative relationship between the United States and China.

Lineageholder

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
This article on the BBC news website is a total whitewash, it makes me cringe in its lack of balance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8521957.stm

I posted a comment about the Dorje Shugden issue which they neglected to publish. 

The BBC is repressing free speech because they pick and choose which comments they publish and obviously steer away from controversy, the result of which is a very neutered version of 'the truth'.

Lineageholder

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
Dalai Lama exits with the trash!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1251888/Dalai-Lama-meet-Barack-Obama-U-S-defies-protests-China.html

Sorry to say, but it's somewhat appropriate for the Dalai Lama to be leaving by the 'tradesman's entrance' 
If you treat people like trash and act hypocritically, what's going to happen?

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
Why does the West love the Dalai Lama? 

By Finlo Rohrer
BBC News Magazine 

A US president is again choosing to meet the Dalai Lama despite Chinese opposition. But why is this Tibetan spiritual and political leader such a popular figure in the West?

To the Chinese government and to many of its people he is an inciter of violence and a defender of a brutal, backward, feudalistic, theocratic society.

But to many politicians and people in the West, the Dalai Lama is a kind of smiling, spiritual and political superhero.

His monastic robes, beaming countenance and squarish, unfashionable glasses are the stuff of a thousand photo opportunities. To some he is in a league of international personalities that contains only one other person - Nelson Mandela.

DALAI LAMA - KEY EVENTS

Born Tenzin Gyatso in 1935
Designated 14th incarnation of the Dalai Lama in 1937
Enthroned in 1940, but his rights exercised by regency until 1950 - the year Chinese troops entered Tibet
Forced into permanent exile in 1959 after China's suppression of Tibetan national uprising
Settled with other Tibetan refugees at Dharamsala, northern India
Has since refused to return to Tibet
Awarded Nobel Peace Prize in 1989
He is well-known for his contact with Hollywood supporters like Richard Gere and Steven Segal.

Those who have met him describe an intense personal charisma.

There is a "wonderful smiling face, cherubic looks, the infectious laugh" says Alexander Norman, who co-operated with the Dalai Lama on his autobiography as well as several other works after first meeting him in 1988.

It is hard to escape the idea that the Dalai Lama is perceived almost as an avuncular "Santa Claus" figure by some, says Dr Nathan Hill, senior lecturer in Tibetan at the School of Oriental and African Studies.

"He is very photogenic. In the West we like stars. He is an extremely engaging person, and an extremely smart man. I find him extremely savvy politically, very forward looking."

There are many in the West who are seeking an unthreatening spiritual boost in an age of materialism, suggests Norman, who recently wrote The Secret Lives of the Dalai Lama.

"There is a huge desire in the secular West… a hunger for something other than the benefits that modern industrial society can supply."

Search on Amazon for the Dalai Lama's books and you see long lists of spiritual and self-help tracts.

"He is unstained by the world [to some readers]," says Dr Hill. "You want to read his books in order to find enlightenment yourself."

Tibetan mystique

And the appreciation of the Dalai Lama taps into some older Western ideas about Tibet as a remote Shangri-La.

"Tibet had a policy from 1792-1903 not to allow Westerners into the country," says Dr Hill. "That fostered a mystique. We have this nation that was almost completely closed to white people.

Friend to the stars, including Hollywood actor and Buddhist Richard Gere
"When you start to get more information you get the notion of Tibet as a mystical hidden land of magic and wonder. It is a kind of product of European adventure travel literature."

There is a sense that the Dalai Lama is politically extrapolated in a way that may not be totally grounded in reality.

"He is a sort of pin-up boy for a lot of movements - the animal rights movement, religious syncretism," says Norman. "There is a lot of wishful thinking that goes on in connection with the Dalai Lama."

Western confusion over the Dalai Lama is best illustrated by the attempts to analyse his position on gay rights.

He has expressed an aversion to gay sex, and even oral sex among heterosexual couples, and yet at other times has taken a more nuanced line, says Norman.

"He will say it's your choice, it's up to people's own conscience. He is very conscious of not giving people offence."

There is criticism of him from some Tibetan exiles for sticking to a moderate, non-violent stance, says Norman. There has also been criticism from religious opponents who say he has wrongly proscribed worship of a deity called Shugden.

Starry-eyed admirers

"Among exiles there is an increasingly vocal minority that opposes him, but it's a small minority," says Robert Barnett, director of Modern Tibetan Studies at Columbia University.

The Dalai Lama is a wolf wrapped in a habit, a monster with human face and animal's heart

Widely reported translation of comments by Zhang Qingli, the Communist Party Secretary in Tibet
"Inside Tibet there is near universal admiration for him, and for his attempts to get a non-violent solution."

There is discussion about whether the Dalai Lama and his colleagues paint an accurate picture of Tibet before the Chinese intervention in 1950, or whether any mythology is the invention of Western admirers.

There is even a belief among some starry-eyed admirers in a pre-1950 Tibet where "women enjoyed equal rights and everyone was in harmony with the environment", says Dr Hill.

But the blame for any mythologising cannot be laid entirely at the door of the Dalai Lama, says Norman.

"On the one hand you could accuse him of peddling an unrealistic picture of what Tibet was actually like. On the other hand Tibetans genuinely think of their country in those terms - this romantic image."

Chinese criticism of the Dalai Lama, while predominantly concerned with the idea that Tibet is historically part of China, also lambasts the idea of a pre-1950 Shangri-La and focuses on serfdom, and poor living conditions.

"The Dalai Lama has been one of the harshest critics of 'old Tibet'," says Donald Lopez, Professor of Buddhist and Tibetan Studies at the University of Michigan.

Cup of tea diplomacy

"He is not a purveyor of the Shangri-La Syndrome. There is evidence that he would have introduced political reforms if the Chinese had not invaded."

Unafraid to see the funny side of himself
And the idea that the Westerners who venerate the Dalai Lama are unaware of the complexities of the Tibet Question is false, despite it being "very fashionable" says Prof Barnett.

Tibet's place at the junction of three nuclear powers and with a key part in the world's water supply will always make the Tibet Question more than a Western liberal hobby horse.

There is a clear rationale for the political leaders who meet him despite Chinese pressure. For those who feel uncomfortable about Chinese human rights abuses it is a chance to irritate China without risking a full-on diplomatic incident.

"[The Dalai Lama] is an ideal opportunity for them, because as a political leader, he asks for very little - he seems quite happy to accept a merely symbolic gesture like a cup of tea and a photo," says Prof Barnett.

"The more China complains, the more Western leaders look strong and principled when they meet him."

It is perhaps understandable that he has met every serving US president since 1991.

But to ordinary people, whether right or wrong, the Dalai Lama's box office appeal is more about the charisma of the man and the ideas that they believe he is sympathetic to.

As Norman notes his Western fans see a "secular saint" or a "politically correct god for a godless world".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a selection of your comments

Your article makes it sound like the Dalai Lama is popular because of clever PR. You seem to forget that he is the legitimate ruler of Tibet, deposed by the expansionist and militaristic policies of the Chinese government, and that before the occupation, Tibetans were not subject to torture, random arrests, disappearances, and complete curtailment of all rights to free speech, assembly, or legitimate political representation. Maybe the fact that the Dalai Lama represents truth and freedom, as opposed to lies and oppression, is the reason why he is popular.
Dominic Bradley, Sheffield, England

The Dalai Lama is essentially a dictator who uses religion as a front in his quest to reinstate a system whereby the vast majority of people live in abstract poverty and are forced to give most of what little they have to the monasteries and monks who rule through religious indoctrination and violence. Just because China is a bigger and more powerful oppressor doesn't excuse the Dalai Lama in any way, and it's pathetic to see the usual ignorant, rich, western do-gooders crowd round him because their own lives are so empty they will fall for any kind of spiritualist mumbo-jumbo.
Bluenose, London

We like the Dalai Lama because he preaches compassion and believes it does not matter what your religion is as long as you follow the truth with an open mind. I met him for about an hour with 12 other people in 1981 and he was funny, understanding, knowledgeable and just great fun to be with.
Andrew Failes, Petersburg, USA

Buddhism is not a monotheistic religion like Christianity, Judaism or Islam and the DL is not seen as a prophet or god's representative on Earth. He is just a man who found himself placed in the position of guardian of a spiritual philosophy which places each man and woman as the creator of their own karma, responsible to themselves and those around them. Their "religion" is based entirely on humility, kindness and compassion without needing to reference the words of some supposedly almighty, judgemental entity.
Ross Rebbeck, Teignmouth, Devon, UK

The answer to your question is: throughout Chinese history we know that the West will do anything that will harm the integrity of the Chinese nation. Western countries and leaders will always act together to weaken China. This is just another instance of western destructive tendency towards China.
Winston, Scotland

We love His Holiness because in the world full of hatred mongers and jingoists, he is a rare voice of peaceful right of freedom. He has nurtured modernity in a tradition-driven religious order. He has never spewed vitriol against the grave injustices done by the draconian and despotic Chinese regime. Those of us who have had the luxury of witnessing his presence know the shear radiance of his face, innocence of his hapless smile, and balminess of his voice of reason. He is the last beacon of hope against our cowardice to stand up to hegemony and tyranny of an opportunist, oppressive state that continues to thrive amidst our collective greed manipulated by market capitalism.
Sanjay Mishra, Nashville, TN (USA)

I sincerely have to thank the Dalai Lama for his writings and wisdom. In times of deep confusion and unhappiness, his writings led me to find my way back to being a more rational, balanced and happier human being who can appreciate things in life many people may find insignificant. I have deep respect for the Dalai Lama and his wisdom.
E Wallace, Lanark, Scotland/UK

The West is scared of China and this article proves it. You have trivialised his dedication and courage in taking on the biggest bully in world by concentrating on his personal appeal and smartness. Their admiration of Dalai Lama is just to hide their fear of China - by showing admiration for the Dalai Lama, they sort of tease the bully and run. They are afraid of opposing China on any issue be it democracy or support of Sudan/Iran/N Korea or any other renegade regime that may require support and provide benefits to China.
Arun, Dehradun, India

I do not trust this man who "seems quite happy to accept a merely symbolic gesture like a cup of tea and a photo." He is and has been in direct league with some seriously bad people.
Louise, Holyoke MA USA

Everyone loves an underdog....especially a non-violent, smiling and charismatic one. It makes it even more so if China, a powerful communist country, is the local bully.
Sriram, India