Author Topic: ARISEN AS DORJE SHUGDEN - KYABJE TRIJANG RINPOCHE  (Read 13818 times)

Geronimo

Re: ARISEN AS DORJE SHUGDEN - KYABJE TRIJANG RINPOCHE
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Thank you! Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche gave me a series of color plates depicting his incarnations. If I figure out how to scan them onto the web site, it will make you go goose bumps!

Given the vastness of the Masters depicted on this site is just a glimmer of the majestic evervescence one might experience in their real presence. The internet is still abstract and cannot convey the true essence of the living presence within our Master's Wisdom.
I do think the seeds have been planted to dissuade the Dalia from doing to much more harm to the sentient beings. He cannot call us Demon People and not have it thrown back in his face.What goes around, comes around. In for a penny in for a pound. We should not stop redefining this lama and wear down his halo.
 Misunderstanding Buddhism in general will be the result once he is found out to be as we say, a despot with political agendas that do not serve the dharma for the rest of us.
This is in the short term bad news for all Buddhist, not matter who wins, so to speak. There are no winners.
 As we find him guilty of persecuting others for their Religious Beliefs and their Basic Human Rights to decide for oneself is the foundation block on which he will topple and fall. Just like Humpty Dumpty, no one will be able to put this lama back together again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:22:19 PM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Midakpa

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I'd love to see those colour plates. Thank you.

Geronimo

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
Gonsar Tulku Rinpoche
       During the time of the 7th Dalai Lama, a young man from Amdo requested acceptance at the house of his countrymen in the Sera monastery near Lhasa. His appearance was so poor and shabby, that he was refused. Turning away from the house he met an old woman in the grounds of the monastery who suggested that he request admittance to Chadrel House and ensured him that he would be accepted there. He did as he was told, and after joining the monastery he showed great enthusiasm in his studies. Soon the extraordinary qualities of a great master became apparent. He became famous as Master Ngawang Thöndrup and extensively served the teachings of the Buddha as Abbot of the Sera Je monastery and as one of the tutors of His Holiness the 8th Dalai Lama. He spent a lot of time in meditation in a cave in the mountains near Lhasa, where later the Gonsar retreat monastery was built. When the people of Lhasa observed the new monastery they immediately started to call him ‘Gonsar’ which in Tibetan means ‘the lama of the new monastery'. This name has remained with the lineage of the Gonsar Rinpoches until today. The old woman that had led the first Gonsar Rinpoche to his college came to be known as an emanation of Palden Lhamo.

The fourth Gonsar Rinpoche, the previous incarnation to the present one, also studied in Sera monastery. After completing his studies with the Geshe examinations in his early twenties, he travelled to Mongolia and became one of the greatest masters amongst the later Buddhist masters of Mongolia. Teaching there for more than thirty years and frequently showing supernatural powers, he was greatly cherished by the population and almost all of the contemporary masters of Mongolia became his disciples. He returned to Tibet at the outbreak of the Bolshevik revolution and continued his vast activities there. The family of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama also belongs to his distinguished disciples.

The present Gonsar Rinpoche was born in 1949 in Shigatse, Tibet, to an aristocratic family known to be descendants of the ancient Tibetan kings. At that time his father was governor of the province Tsang, in western Tibet. At the age of three Gonsar Rinpoche was recognized as the fifth incarnation in the line of the Gonsar Rinpoche’s, which was confirmed by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. At the age of six he entered Sera monastery, the second largest Monastic University of Tibet at that time. From the very beginning he was raised and tutored under the kind care of Venerable Geshe Rabten. Gonsar Rinpoche received a great number of teachings and transmissions from His Holiness the Dalai Lama and many other masters, in particular from his root gurus Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang and the Venerable Geshe Rabten.

In 1959, when Tibet fell under the power of Red China, Gonsar Rinpoche fled with his master to India and continued his studies there. At the same time he learnt English and Hindi. In 1969 he started to translate into English the Buddhist teachings given to western students by his master Geshe Rabten.

Ever since the Venerable Geshe Rabten passed away in 1986, Gonsar Rinpoche, after spending thirty-three years as his closest disciple, has continued his master's activities. At present Gonsar Rinpoche is director of the center ‘Rabten Choeling’ in Mont Pèlerin, as well as the centers in Austria and Germany. He gives regular teachings directly in French, English, German or Tibetan.

The first Gonsar Rinpoche was famous for his particularly vast and profound teachings on the complete path of mental development to full enlightenment. The present Gonsar Rinpoche is renowned as one of the very few contemporary masters capable of transmitting every aspect of the Buddha's teachings as a clear and moving experience to Western as well as Tibetan audiences.

Midakpa

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »
Thank you for posting Gonsar Tulku Rinpoche's history and lineage.

Tibet has produced many great Buddhist masters. I like to read their biographies because they are so inspiring. They have contributed to the spread of Buddhism in the world. Many are now living and teaching in different countries and bringing happiness and meaning to people's lives through dharma. This might not have happened if they had remained in Tibet. I feel very sad about the fall of Tibet but as many have commented, Tibet's loss is the world's gain.

Geronimo

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 01:19:15 AM »
Geshe Rabten Rinpoche
      "From the time I was a small child, I met monks in their maroon robes returning from the great monastic universities near Lhasa. I admired them very much. I also occasionally visited the large monastery in our region; and when I watched the monks debating, I was again filled with admiration. When I was about fifteen years old I began to notice how simple, pure and efficient their lives were. I also saw how my own home life, in comparison, was so complicated and demanding of tasks that were never finished. In order to be counted as a qualified monk in the nearby Dhargye Monastery, one had to spend at least three to four years studying and training one's mind in the Buddha Dharma in one of the three monastic universities near Lhasa. With the thought of becoming such a monk in Dhargye Monastery, I decided at the age of seventeen to go to one of these monastic universities, although at that time I had no desire to become greatly learned in the Dharma".

Extract from Geshe Rabten's Biography, "Life of a Tibetan Monk", Edition Rabten, 2000

When he was eighteen Geshe Rabten went on a three month journey from his birthplace in Kham in the Eastern province of Tibet to Lhasa in central Tibet where he became a monk in the monastic university of Sera. Very soon teachers and fellow students became aware of his magnificent character traits. While studying and meditating he went through unbelievable hardship. Hence teachers and fellow students gave him the name ‘Milarepa’. Due to his clear and precise way of logical debate, people compared him to Dharmakirti, the great Buddhist logical thinker. After having studied for about twenty years, he passed the Geshe exam in front of monks from the three great monasteries. He was given the title of the highest rank, ‘Geshe Lharampa’. This is the greatest honor, which is given by the examiners and by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

In 1964 Geshe Rabten was chosen to be the philosophical assistant of the H.H. Dalai Lama. In 1969 the Dalai Lama first of all sent Western students to Geshe and then later, due to the amount of Western students that had accumulated he asked Geshe to move to the Tibetan monastery in Rikon, Switzerland to become the Abbot of that monastery. At that time Geshe had many students in the big monastic universities in India and as his master Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche was getting old and because Geshe did profess to have any interest in the comfort and money of the West, he would have preferred to have stayed in India. Only when his master pointed out that his teachings would be a great blessing to the people of the West did Geshe agree to go.

Geshe was the first Buddhist master to introduce the complete Vinaya-tradition and the original study of Buddhism to the West. Hence Geshe became the ‘path breaker’ of the complete and complex teachings of Buddhism in the West. Many masters, who are famous in the West today, were Geshe’s students, namely: Gonsar Rinpoche, Khamlung Rinpoche, Sherpa Rinpoche, Tomthog Rinpoche, Zopa Rinpoche, Lama Yeshe, Geshe Penpa, Geshe Tenzin Genpo, Geshe Thupten Ngwang, Geshe Thubten Trinley etc.

Almost unlike any other, Geshe Rinpoche was able to bring the essence of the thoughts of Buddha close to the listeners. No matter if the listener was from the West or the East, whoever followed his words felt all the unclearness disappear and in its place a clearness and calmness started to spread in one’s mind. His examples encouraged people to adopt a sincere way of acting. Whatever he explained, gave the pupil a feeling of hearing a description of the past, the future or of hearing deepest secrets as if all these things were in Geshe’s hand.

Geshe founded the center for higher Tibetan studies, Rabten Choeling at the lake of Geneva (originally Tharpa Choeling), the Tibetan center in Hamburg, Tashi Rabten at the Letzehof, Puntsog Rabten in Munich and Gephel Ling in Milan.

Geronimo

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
Rabten Tulku Rinpoche
       When Geshe passed away in 1986, his pupils were able to experience the extraordinary signs of a complete master passing away. During the months after his death, many students had the feeling that during their meditation Geshe was unusually close to them. Three years later, Gonsar Rinpoche, Geshe’s dearest and closest pupil discovered Geshe's incarnation, who, through various unconnected sources, amongst whom was the Dalai Lama, was confirmed to be the righteous incarnation.

In the spring of 1998 the ten year old Rabten Rinpoche gave his first teaching in front of a group of two hundred people in the monastery Rabten Choeling at the lake of Geneva. Unexpectedly and unprepared the young Rinpoche gave people advice on taking refuge. He spoke in the clear manner and way of impressing people, which had been Geshe Rabten’s own special way. The listeners were deeply moved and many of Geshe Rabten's former students had tears in their eyes.

The memory of Geshe through his incarnation, who even in his young years already showed clear traits of a great master makes one believe that there is nothing more precious that could be given to one in this life even if one were to meet the enlightened Buddha in person.

Geronimo

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:51 AM »
Buddhas! Do Not Exclude Others,
Now remind me how was it the demons were tamed?
If we are demons?
Why does the Dalia Lama threaten to destroy Lord Shugden and his Followers throughout the Universes?
If he were a Buddha, he would not say such silly things.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:13:46 AM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

a friend

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 05:06:49 AM »
If he were a Buddha, he would not say such silly things.

I dare say that this is a perfect reason ...  :D :D :D

Midakpa

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »
Lhakpa Gyaltshen has given a moving account of Geshe Rabten Rinpoche's life. From the description, it is clear that to become a "qualified monk" and especially a "Geshe Lharampa" is no easy task. Geshe Rabten studied for 20 years! It is also interesting to note that he didn't want to go to Switzerland but finally agreed to go out of compassion, to benefit people in the west.

It is not easy for these Tibetan masters to teach people from other cultures and traditions. It requires a lot of patience and above all, great compassion. This is why we must be grateful to them and support them in their work. This way, we make sure that they will reincarnate and continue their work.

Geshe Rabten's students are very fortunate to have discovered their guru's incarnation. This is because they have guru devotion. I'm very happy for them and wish them well.