Author Topic: I am new here  (Read 8470 times)

mindyswales

• Email
I am new here
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »
WOW, there's a lot to digest on this forum.

I started reading the discussions on the subject "brochure" but it really got way too much and over my head so I thought that it might be easier to just start a new topic.

I wanted to say that I was given a brochure from someone who I guess printed it off this website and redirected it to other people. She passed it to me at a gathering at a new age shop in my town and it jigged immediately because I've been hearing all about this in the news for a long time now - usually it's about the protests and issues that seem far too complicated and convoluted for me to want to get into.

from what little I know from the initial surfing I've done, Dorje Shugden and this practice sounds very intriguing and powerful but it's a shame that somehow the politics of the situation end up getting intertwined and I've not been very keen on that.

This brochure got me curious again to find out a little more and I'm hoping some discussion on here can provide some information without the politics (to complement the reading and articles on this website - of which there seems to be an endless amount!). I'm just interested  in the practice and how I can do it, what to do, how it helps.

I've been following the info and links on the "i am new here link" which is helpful. Any other suggestions and tips would be much appreciated too!

Mindy

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: I am new here
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »

Welcome aboard Mindy. I am glad you have the affinity to be with us. Welcome!!

tk

honeydakini

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:18 PM »
ho ho Mindy!
Good to see you here (I was the one who passed you the brochure at Sarah's store!)

I know what you mean about the politics - it is hard to disentangle the two at the moment and although it can be confusing, it is also helpful to know about it as many practitioners' spiritual path and practice has seen grave interruptions and obstacles by the politics that have arisen.

I was not keen on the politics myself either - but ironically, it was through the politics that I learnt the various different debates and sides of argument that eventually lead me to understanding more about both Dorje Shugden as a fully enlightened being, and about Dharma & Buddhist practice in general.

As with all Buddhist practices, we are taught not to just jump into something and take it and then abandon it halfway. We are encouraged to read up, study and debate until we gain a firm understanding and strong enough faith to want to pursue and commit to this practice. the benefit you will receive back from the practice will then be even greater if you have a firmer basis in your understanding.

As you are a "starter", I would recommend the following:
- read the "I am new here" section, which also has links within it to other useful articles: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3556

- this might lead you to other Dorje Shugden websites also which provides much good history and background information on Dorje Shugden's lineage, his previous incarnations, explanations on his iconography and imagery.

- do read some of the articles under the section "the ban". (the nice people here have organised the articles nicely so all politics are in one section!)

- I highly recommend checking out the "Great Masters" section also for some inspiration! Lots of beautiful stories and photographs of the masters of old who were known DS practitioners and highly revered Dharma teachers.

- if you'd like to incorporate some of DS's prayers in your daily meditations, check out the section on prayers. I'd recommend prayer by the 5th dalai lama (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?page_id=341) or melody of the unceasing vajra by 14th dalai lama (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?page_id=346)

- lastly, i know it's a lot to catch up on and read, but I do recommend reading through different threads on the forum and also asking questions if you don't understand. That's the best way to learn and people here will also be keen to help answer your question - we love a good debate! ;)

Zach

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:08:59 PM »
Welcome friend you will find alot of valuable information here...I certainly have  :)

icy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:59 AM »
Dear Mindy

Welcome to the forum.! Lord Shugden brought you here.  You certainly have good fortune and affinity with Lord Shudgen.   :)

icy

DSFriend

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:01:59 AM »

I've been following the info and links on the "i am new here link" which is helpful. Any other suggestions and tips would be much appreciated too!

Mindy

Dear Mindy
A warm welcome to the site. Besides the wonderful information provided at this site couple with very knowledgeable contributors,  this site promotes and values harmony. We hope this forum will serve to provide sufficient information for your spiritual curiosities.

As a start, you may want to check out the download sections for beautiful pictures of Dorje Shugden, and spend some time reading the forum threads previously discussed. Also do take a look at the Great Master's section. Dorje Shugden has been practiced and propitiated by great masters for the past 350 years! Dorje Shugden will certainly be beneficial for us as well.

best wishes
DSFriend

happyxiao73

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
Dear Mindy

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????? :D??

triesa

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »
Dear Mindy,

If you truely believe in Dorje Shudgen, nevermind the politics. They are part of life. it cannot be avoided. Like a famous rockstar, rumours and critics aare unavoidable. Read through how to start his prayers and mantra and start the practice today. I have no regrets.

Welcome aboard!

Triesa 

Dharmapal

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »
dear Mindy,

There are also some simple prayers here that you may find helpful:
http://www.wisdombuddhadorjeshugden.org/dorjeshugden-prayers1.php

On this website, http://wisdombuddhadorjeshugden.org/, if you scroll on the right to the bottom, you'll see a lot of information about the Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden and the practice of relying upon him for protection.

love,
Dharmapal

pgdharma

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

Dear Mindy

Welcome!

You have the affinity to be with Dorje Shugdan or you wont be here. Follow the simple  instructions from the brochure which has been clearly stated and have faith in your practice.Forget about  the "politics".

pgdharma

Lord Drakpa

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
Dear Mindy,

Welcome aboard! I believe by now you would already know how to get a head start with this practice. This website is very informative and is not biased. Please read as much as you can and assess it yourself.

Once all doubts are cleared and you start doing the practice with sincerity, you'll see clear results in your spiritual path. Perhaps by then, you may want to share your experiences as a practioner :)

LXF

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 06:54:45 AM »
Dear ALL NEWBIES,

I am new here too, after browsed through the comments from others, wow, I actually read and learn more about DS.

Those seniors members do have the powerful knowledge to share with newbies about DS related topics.

Will spend more time on the forum to discover correct and non biased information through this website.

Thanks all generously and patiently shared with newbies

VS

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
dear mindy,

i totally agree with you, there's a lot to digest in this forum. :D well, where else can you go if you are thirsty for knowledge of DS! ::)

so far, this is one of the best forum and site that i feel is very informative and unbiase and not into 'politics'. i'm really learning a lot here and will continue to learn more from everyone!

thank you everyone for your knowledge and views ;)
vs

honeydakini

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
hey everyone,
just a tip for those who have just joined the forum. I've been visiting this forum for about 5 months now and find that the best way to learn is to ask questions and get involved in the many different topics. Reading is very helpful for gaining understanding and knowledge, and learning different view points. but the best way to really understand is to get involved in the debates, add your own views (and be challenged!) and ask whenever you are unsure of something.

The senior forum members are very kind to share lots of information and patient to take the time to answer our many questions (thank you!). As it is about our great protector, asking and learning can only lead to more and more good things, and a stronger, firmer practice!

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »
just to add to HoneyD's intro, do visit the main site of dorjeshugden.com too. i find the articles there very interesting and enlightening. It gives you a broad knowledge of this amazing Protector, which allows you to make up your own mind over differences of opinion which are evident everywhere and anywhere.

Welcome and i look forward to reading your posts!

Love
kate
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being