Author Topic: Panchen Sonam Drakpa's Hat  (Read 7575 times)

Big Uncle

Panchen Sonam Drakpa's Hat
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
Dear Everyone,

Do anybody know anything about this ceremonial hat? I only know that it is related to the incomparable Panchen Sonam Drakpa - a previous incarnation of Dorje Shugden. That's why I am asking.

Big Uncle

DharmapalasDharma

• Shugden
Re: Panchen Sonam Drakpa's Hat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
I have seen this hat to on a statue at the Ganden Shartse Prayer Hall. I have never seen Gelugpa Lamas wear them before. I know Gelugs wear yellow hats but not in that shape. It almost looks like a Kagyu or Nyingma crown.
DevoteeofDorje

DharmapalasDharma

• Shugden
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
Here is a similar image.
DevoteeofDorje

WoselTenzin

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »
Dear Everyone,

Do anybody know anything about this ceremonial hat? I only know that it is related to the incomparable Panchen Sonam Drakpa - a previous incarnation of Dorje Shugden. That's why I am asking.

Big Uncle

Really? Related to Panchen Sonam Drakpa?  That's interesting.  Have seen this hat before but don't know how it's being used.  Would be great if someone can enlighten us.

thaimonk

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:37:01 AM »

The 8 guiding monks on Dorje Shugden's entourage all wear different types of Gelug monk hats. Take a look.

:)

DSFriend

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 04:11:30 AM »
Did a search but haven't found anything much on this hat or the 8 guiding monks hats. Would be interesting to know the significance of it.

VS

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:45 AM »
I heard that not every lama can wear this hat, is it true? if yes, any idea why?

Tq

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:52:21 AM »
Hi all,

I am not if sure if this hat was adapted from the sakyas, I've seen a red version of it worn by Sakya Lamas before. GIve me some time to unearth this out and get back to u on this.

cheers
H1N1
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

dsiluvu

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
Hi all,

I am not if sure if this hat was adapted from the sakyas, I've seen a red version of it worn by Sakya Lamas before. GIve me some time to unearth this out and get back to u on this.

cheers
H1N1

Helllllooooooooooo... Okay this is bugging me cos no one seems to know...

I am still curious and I cannot seem to find the answers anywhere. Does anyone know??? What is the significant meaning of this special Panchen Hat?

The only thing I could closely get that it represent a very high scholar. We know what a great scholar and debater Panchen Sonam Drakpa is but really what's the symbology of wearing this special hat. Why would Gangchen Rinpoche wear this hat during special ceremonies?

Does it represent the middle way view taught by Nagarjuna which was expounded by PSD? Well Harrynephew... did you manage to find the answers??? Please do share! Can't wait for someone to share their knowledge here! :) Thank you in advance! 

Big Uncle

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:26 PM »
I have seen this hat to on a statue at the Ganden Shartse Prayer Hall. I have never seen Gelugpa Lamas wear them before. I know Gelugs wear yellow hats but not in that shape. It almost looks like a Kagyu or Nyingma crown.

Hi DharmapalasDharma,

That statue would most likely be the incomparable Panchen Sonam Drakpa. Gaden Shartse have his statue because they revere this great scholar for having composed great volumes of texts that are used as textsbook by all the monks in Gaden Shartse in their study to be Geshes.

With regards to the hat, I wonder if its got anything to do with the Confucius hat. It looks fairly similar to me except that its yellow in color and probably have folds that represent some Dharma meaning. Perhaps, it was adapted from the Confucius hat. Just guessing so don't quote me on this one. 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:22 AM »
I am not sure but I have heard that while the Pandit's hat represents the mastery of Sutra, The Panchen hat represents the mastery of both Sutra and Tantra. Panchen Sonam Dragpa was one of the most illustrious masters in the Gelugpa tradition, and he still is and his texts are used for debates and studies because they describe the most profound practices in ways that people can understand, study, apply into practice and gain results. So logically and also from my own naive mind, I would say that the Panchen hat represents the complete mastery of all of Panchen Sonam Dragpa's texts and people who wear it would have.