Author Topic: Geshe Rabten and Dorje Shugden  (Read 14991 times)

hope rainbow

Geshe Rabten and Dorje Shugden
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:43:37 AM »
Quotation from:
Dalai Lama - Dorje Shugden by Helmut Gassner
Hamburg, on March 26th 1999
Full text can be found at:
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/articles/HelmutGassner01.pdf

(QUOTE)
After Geshe Rabten escaped from Tibet, the Dalai Lama chose him and Lati Rinpoche from among a select group of candidates to become one of his advisers on philosophical issues.
Upon the Dalai Lama's express wish, Geshe came to Switzerland as Abbot of Rikon Monastery, near Winterthur.
After I graduated from the Institute of Technology, I moved to Rikon to learn Tibetan and to study Buddhist philosophy, debate and meditation under Geshe's guidance.
In 1978, Geshe Rabten was invited by a group of Geshe Zopa, a Tibetan who teaches at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, and to my great joy, I was allowed to accompany Geshe.
At that conference there was another most impressive Lama from India, Zong Rinpoche, also giving teachings and initiations.
It was from him I received, together with two other people, Dorje Shugden empowerment.
I had never heard of Dorje Shugden before, even though I was studying Buddhism intensively and making good progress with my Tibetan.
After the empowerment, Geshe gave us some words of advice.
He said, "This manifestation of the Buddha has no equal. If you are determined to tame your mind, then he will even give you his heart in order to help you."

(END OF QUOTE)

See this link for more biographic info on Geshe Rabten.
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/articles/GesheRabtenRinpoche.pdf
I have extracted the following from the above link:

(QUOTE)
When Geshe passed away in 1986, his pupils were able to experience the extraordinary signs of a complete master passing away.
During the months after his death, many students had the feeling that during their meditation Geshe was unusually close to them.
Three years later, Gonsar Rinpoche, Geshe’s dearest and closest pupil discovered Geshe's incarnation, who, through various unconnected sources, amongst whom was the Dalai Lama, was confirmed to be the righteous incarnation.

(END OF QUOTE)

From the above, I have a few observations:
1.Geshe Rabten was a practitioner of Dorje Shugden
2.Yet, he re-incarnated as a Rinpoche, proving wrong the affirmation that Dorje Shugden is a demon (someone that worships a demon creates the causes for re-birth as a hell-being, and animal or a ghost, certainly not as a Rinpoche)
3.What’s more, his current incarnation was re-cognized by His Holiness The Dalai Lama!

This is yet another case of a high lama that has, in his previous incarnation, recognized Dorje Shugden as a Buddha and Dharma protector and as a valid object of refuge.
Geshe Rabten has re-incarnated and is now in his twenties.
These young lamas will become the important teachers in the near future when Dorje Shugden will be regarded as THE Dharma Protector for not only the Gelugpas, but for all spiritual practioners.

This is truly a Buddhist renaissance at our doorstep! We just need to open our eyes to see it.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: Geshe Rabten and Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »

What a wonderful post. Geshe Rabten is a great master of the highest calibre. His many deeds and works as in his bio is EXTREMELY INSPIRING.

I thank you so much for this beautiful post. Another great lama who practiced Dorje Shugden his whole life and had great attainments.

So many great lamas cannot be wrong regarding Dorje Shugden. Impossible they can be wrong.

TK

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »
Today is an incredible day. I have read two wonderful stories on this forum - first on Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=870.0)  and now Geshe Rabten.

So many Masters who are or have been Dorje Shugden practitioners are so highly attained, and exhibit so many wonderful qualities in their life. Even in their passing into clear light and return again to benefit others, they are completely inspirational and without fault.

To me, these Lamas are 100% proof that Dorje Shugden practice is pure and faultless.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

honeydakini

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
Wonderful stuff, these stories about the lamas never fail to inspire.

I think one thing we can definitely do to share the incredible lineage of Dorje Shugden with the world is to promote and bring awareness to the amazing works of these teachers.

The Dalai Lama will pass away one day and there will definitely be a void – what happens to Tibetan Buddhism as we know it then? And more importantly, what happens to the ban then? We can start to prepare now by bringing greatness into the world through these teachers, encourage people to find their own qualified teachers and begin Dharma practice of a pure, broken lineage.

The ds website has a host of fantastic biographies of many, many Lamas known not just for their practice of DS but for their incredible contribution to Dharma, worldwide. Check it out here and be inspired!

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?cat=13

VS

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »

The Dalai Lama will pass away one day and there will definitely be a void – what happens to Tibetan Buddhism as we know it then? And more importantly, what happens to the ban then? We can start to prepare now by bringing greatness into the world through these teachers, encourage people to find their own qualified teachers and begin Dharma practice of a pure, broken lineage.

The ds website has a host of fantastic biographies of many, many Lamas known not just for their practice of DS but for their incredible contribution to Dharma, worldwide. Check it out here and be inspired!

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?cat=13

I fully agree with HD, with all due respect, HH 14th Dalai Lama will pass away one day, who will then be able to fill in the void? Who will be able to spread and teach the dharma?

The task will falls on the shoulders of all these incarnated high lamas and who are also Shugden pratitioners. (pls refer to their bio in www.dorjeshugden.com)

With the current publicity of DS, more people will get to know about this powerful protector. More people will be able to benefit and blessed! by DS.

DSFriend

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
Geshe Rabten is one of Lama Yeshe's teacher.

Both Geshe Rabten and Lama Yeshe are back!

Lama Yeshe's current incarnation, Tenzin Osel was recognized by non other than HH 14th Dalai Lama in 1986 the same year Geshe Rabten went into clear light. Do notice that this was in the midst of the ban which TGIE and Dalai Lama imposed on Dorje Shugden practitioners.

If Dalai Lama's wish is to stop Dorje Shugden's practices, then why recognise reincarnated Dorje Shugden practitioners?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:46:42 PM by DSFriend »

honeydakini

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
3.What’s more, his current incarnation was re-cognized by His Holiness The Dalai Lama!

Isn't that just very amazing? Many of the highest DS Lamas have been recognised or their incarnations acknowledged by the Dalai Lama. And the even more amazing fact? These DS Lamas were also recognised by Dorje Shugden. Often, they are recognised first by Dorje Shugden and then later their incarnations acknowledged by Dalai Lama.

So who is right? or wrong? or are they both right? :p

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
So who is right? or wrong? or are they both right? :p

Hey darlinghoney, haven't you already noticed, that it does not matter. I just looked on the facebook, and it was not pretty. So, in my view, all we can do is to proclaim the truth, for nothing else matters,.Even here. All discussion has been swamped, as any discussion necessarily shows HHDL to be something else than a Bodhisattva. So even here, you are surrounded by the Big Brother. If you dig it, then take it. If you do not dig it, voice your voice. Start here. Many did.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »
The new incarnation of Khensur Geshe Lobsang Tharchin has also been recognised by the Dalai Lama... read it here:

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=894.0
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

beggar

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »

If Dalai Lama's wish is to stop Dorje Shugden's practices, then why recognise reincarnated Dorje Shugden practitioners?

haha! this is the big puzzle!

by recognising reincarnated dorje shugden practitioners, DL is going against his own logic! Because if ds was a demon or a spirit who could harm us, then why didn't he harm these practitioners? why are they back here on earth, shiny and luminous and wise as ever to bring us the dharma!!

i think the dalai lama is leaving us little loopholes and hints like hansel and gretel breadcrumbs in the forest!

yours, an amused beggar

hope rainbow

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:20 AM »

haha! this is the big puzzle!

by recognising reincarnated dorje shugden practitioners, DL is going against his own logic! Because if ds was a demon or a spirit who could harm us, then why didn't he harm these practitioners? why are they back here on earth, shiny and luminous and wise as ever to bring us the dharma!!

i think the dalai lama is leaving us little loopholes and hints like hansel and gretel breadcrumbs in the forest!

yours, an amused beggar

Anyone with clean Guru samaya should be able to understand this.
Anyone who has experienced directly how a Guru makes his students think 'out of the box' should be able to understand this.

If one stills sees conflict and contradicion, then why is it so?

Is your mind a mind of doubt or a mind of faith?
1. if it is doubt, use it as a tool to question, debate and validate the teachings by logic. Having doubts denotes of intelligence.
2. if it is faith, just spread your wings!

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »
Reading about these great spiritual Masters always give me goosebumps! They are such inspirations: dedicating their life to keep the Dharma intact for the benefit of all sentient beings. Their continuous return to us lifetime after lifetime to continue pure Dharma work show the consistent commitment of these highly attained Gurus to the Dharma and sentient beings. I feel to extremely fortunate and grateful to their kindness and generosity.

It is really powerful that more and more information about highly attained Dorje Shugden practitioner, i.e. these great Lamas, are being shared in this forum and in the Dorje Shugden website. Such factual information that are based on tangible results supports the swift and evident benefits of our Protetor's practice and worship.

Similarly, due to our own karma, we do not have the opportunity to see or receive Dharma teachings directly from the Buddhas. Therefore, the Sangha community is the only available link we have to the Buddha and Dharma. Therefore, it is vital that we crate the cause for our kind Gurus to stay with us and continue to spread pure Dharma teachings so that we will have the merit to receive Maitreya Buddha when the time comes!

Once again, thank you forum participants and posters.

thaimonk

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »

Lama Yeshe current incarnation, Tenzin Osel was recognized by non other than HH 14th Dalai Lama in 1986 the same year Geshe Rabten went into clear light. Do notice that this was in the midst of the ban which TGIE and Dalai Lama imposed on Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Makes alot of sense what you say. Dalai Lama does recognize many tulkus who practiced dorje Shugden in their previous lives. Good way of looking at it.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »

Lama Yeshe current incarnation, Tenzin Osel was recognized by non other than HH 14th Dalai Lama in 1986 the same year Geshe Rabten went into clear light. Do notice that this was in the midst of the ban which TGIE and Dalai Lama imposed on Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Sad, Lama Osel went away from FPMT when the students followed the ban, and didn't follow their guru Lama Yeshe's advice to practise Dorje Shugden. I understand the bind that Lama Zopa and his students find themselves in - their hundreds of centres would face difficulties if they lost the support of the Tibetan government, and it might rob hundreds of people the opportunity to meet the Dharma, but it's sad they had to lose their founder and root guru in the process. I don't know if it was necessary.

The Dalai Lama's recognition also contradicts the very basis of the ban - Dorje Shugden is a spirit so how do spirit worshippers reincarnate as high lamas recognised by the Dalai Lama?

Helena

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »

Dear DS Friend, I really liked what you wrote.

If HHDL recognise all these reincarnated DS Lamas and practitioners, then it validates that DS is not an evil spirit and those who practises DS do not go into the three lower realms.

What a beautiful and empowering way of looking at it.

Helena