Author Topic: His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche  (Read 13255 times)

DSFriend

His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
I saw His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche's picture in the Great Master's page (btw, it's a fantastic collection) but not much info is available about him.

Here's a short bio of His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche to contribute to this wonderful site.
http://www.dgtlmonastery.org/AboutUs/Teachers/KyabjeYongyalRinpoche/tabid/109/Default.aspx

Yongyal Rinpoche, similar to many others, have received teachings from 14th Dalai Lama. From this article, http://shugdensociety.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/dalai-lama-criticises-anti-whaling-protesters/, Yongyal Rinpoche sought asylum in the US when the ban was imposed.

Does anyone have any more information about what happened to Yongyal Rinpoche for him to seek asylum in the US?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:16:39 PM by DSFriend »

hope rainbow

Re: His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
It seems indeed as if information about Yongyal Rinpoche is very little to be found on the internet.
Perhaps on purpose, I don't know.
That he would be teaching in the USA is of little surprise to me, the "yellow hat tibetan" teachings will be more famously known in the future as the "Gelug" teachings, or the teachings of Lama Tsongkhapa, and it will show its "modern" and especially universal adequacy.
Dorje Shugden is a Dharma protector of all sincere Dharma practitioners, and thus his "protection" is not limited to a country or a "cultural group", in fact this would not be in-line with buddhisme.
The high lamas are spreading the buddhist teachings, they are spreading the Dharma, reaching new horizons, and this is not the end! How exciting!

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:23 PM »
Thank you for bringing this Master up. Since HE Yongyal Rinpoche is listed as one of the teachers at Dagom Gaden Tensung Ling, it is already indicative that he is a Dorje Shugden practitioner, although I did take a preliminary look through the site and did not find any textual reference to Dorje Shugden. However, there is a picture of Dorje Shugden here:
http://www.dgtlmonastery.org/ProjectsPrograms/MonthlyPractices/tabid/93/Default.aspx

There is also a resident Ven Kuten Lama there.

I hear that Dagom Gaden Tensung Ling is a wonderful centre - i can only imagine what it must be like.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

jeff Ryan

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:03 AM »
Yes Dagom Gaden Tensung Ling is a wonderful place.  :)

triesa

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
Thank you to all for sharing H.E. Yongyal Rinpoche's biography and the beautiful Dagon Gaden Tensung Ling.

I have learnt a lot in all these sharings. I guess little information is availble about Yongyal Rinpoche is also a wise decision in order to protect his well beings.

I pray for Yongyal Rinpoche's long life and may he spread the buddha dharma far and wide to benefit more beings.

Triesa

DharmaDefender

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
Yes Dagom Gaden Tensung Ling is a wonderful place.  :)

I would think so, especially since in the centre's name is 'Dagom'. Such a highly attained lama - may his blessings pervade everyone in the centre, and all who meet their students. The lamas' reincarnations are so young now, and we may not be around to receive teachings from them...so let's rejoice that we have been able to make a connection with such qualified teachers who were strong practitioners, and true vinaya holders!

hope rainbow

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
QUOTE from http://www.dgtlmonastery.org/AboutUs/Teachers/KyabjeYongyalRinpoche/tabid/109/Default.aspx:
Rinpoche completed all his tantric studies at Gyurmey Tantric University.
During that time, he also received numerous Dharma transmissions and initiations from highly qualified Tibetan masters such as:
- H.H. the Dalai Lama,
- H.H. Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang,
- Kyabje Ling Rinpoche (senior tutor to H.H. the Dalai Lama),
- and Kyabje Zong Rinpoche.
Thus was he transformed into a living treasure vase of the wisdom of the Ganden Oral Transmission Lineage.
END OF QUOTE

Yongyal Rinpoche could only be a Great Master having received transmissions and initiations from such realized Masters as those listed above.
We are very fortunate to live in a world where we can even just hear about such highly realized beings!
Just to imagine the white karma one needs for that is givng me vertigo!
But it is scary to see what most of us do with this karma, and how some of us even manage to turn fortunate karma into causes for bad karma, opportunities into traps.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:25:24 PM by hope rainbow »

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »
His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche is THE primary holder of the Gaden Nyengyu (oral lineage). This was told to me by 2 senior monks here at the monastery.

I find it strange to hear others say that Lamas who practice Dorje Shugden are not true Gelugpas. The fact is that the principal holder of the Gaden Nyengyu is a Lama who practices Dorje Shugden. In truth, Dorje Shugden is very significant in the oral tradition.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:31:31 PM by Tenzin Sungrab »

DharmaDefender

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
@TS - it is strange, especially when a great number of Gelugpa lamas practise him (including the 100th Gaden Tripa, throne holder of the Gelugpa lineage) and since Tagphu Pemavajra received the teachings in Tushita. Surely receiving the teachings in the presence of Lama Tsongkhapa is Gelugpa enough! Suppose it'll never be 'Gelugpa enough' for them though, people only hear what they want to hear.

@ hope rainbow - to quote things more effectively, use [ quote ] (without the spaces) at the start of the text you want to quote, and [ /quote ] (again without the spaces) at the end of the text you want to quote. It sets up a black box around the text, makes it much easier for the rest of us to read (yes that is a gentle hint, heh) ;)

G

DSFriend

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
His Eminence Yongyal Rinpoche is THE primary holder of the Gaden Nyengyu (oral lineage). This was told to me by 2 senior monks here at the monastery.

I find it strange to hear others say that Lamas who practice Dorje Shugden are not true Gelugpas. The fact is that the principal holder of the Gaden Nyengyu is a Lama who practices Dorje Shugden. In truth, Dorje Shugden is very significant in the oral tradition.

We have the 101st Gaden Tripa who practices. And now knowing that H.E Yongyal Rinpoche as THE principal holder of the Gaden Nyengyu, whispered lineage of the oral tradition is just double joy!

TS, thanks for all the news from the monastery.

hope you are keeping well

DSFriend

thor

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
Not only did Yongyal Rinpoche receive teachings from the previous  Kyabje Trijang Dorjechang, he was also recognised by him. And he is now one of the teachers of Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche. From teacher to student to teacher... connections seen and unseen...

These are the highlights from an old interview with Kyabje Yongyal Rinpoche back in 2006.
(original can be viewed here: http://www.bloomingtonalternative.com/articles/2006/08/13/8036)

Q1: There is so much fear and anger in the world today. What does Buddhism offer that can help us deal with these things?

A: With science and modernization, it would seem like there should be more world peace and happiness, but despite the progress, people right now are more intensely aggravated and unhappy. With all our material progress, we are still not able to achieve happiness.

In Buddhist teachings, self-cherishing and disparaging others are the cause of all our problems. Everybody thinks I need the best things, the best conditions for myself, and for others we don't have such consideration. This is the problem. Self-cherishing is the primary cause of all the wars and suffering we're experiencing.

In the mundane world we think if we kill one enemy, the enemy will be less, but that does not really help. If you kill one person, four or five new enemies will appear.

In Buddhist teachings, the enemy is not outside. The true enemy is within ourselves — anger, attachment and hatred. How you can overcome these enemies is through spiritual practice.

The real problem in war is that people have anger and fear in their hearts. Therefore, give up self-cherishing and the thought of defeating others and generate the mind of equanimity and the mind of compassion toward other beings.

Q2: All religions speak of love and compassion toward others. Yet they seem to be so much a part of the problems we are experiencing right now. So what has gone wrong?

A: All of the things that are happening in world are not really the fault of the shortcomings of religions themselves, but rather of particular people who don't follow their religions in the right direction.

Q3: So what should people of faith be doing that they are not now doing?

A: One needs to really follow the true teachings of the religion one follows.

Q4: But many religious followers think it is followers of the "other" religion who are not being loving and compassionate. We believe in love and compassion and they don't.

A: Everybody has a right to follow their own practice and religion, but it is important not to say negative things about other religions, and even if the opportunity to say negative things comes, to practice compassion and put the teachings into practice.

No matter how much negativity comes from the other side, if your response is more positive, more patient, certainly time will pass and anger will pass from the other side. This we can see in our lives. Sometimes if a person is aggravating to us and we don't respond in the same aggravated way, the other person will give up their anger or aggravation.

In the world we need to think about our interdependence. Everything we have in our lives comes through the collective actions of countless people. To survive as a world, to sustain the human race and protect all beings, we need to realize this.

A lot of disagreement comes in world because a particular group wants all the advantages for itself and doesn't care about the benefits for others. This needs to be revisited and thought about carefully at a deeper level.

Q5: Is protest a good way to get this particular message out?

A: Protest in general is not necessarily positive, but peaceful protests are preferable. Basically any form of violence is not good, whether physical protest or harsh speech. If we want peace, everyone needs to generate positive thoughts in their mind and pray from their heart for world peace, and pray especially for all the hatred, attachment and ignorance of all the people who fight in wars to subside, and once those delusions subside, naturally war will subside.

But people also need to spread the message about love, compassion and self-cherishing in their families, neighborhood, communities and so forth. And our speech needs to follow our actions ... We always talk about world peace, but our actions may be contradictory to those things. We definitely need to pay attention that our actions follow our speech. Following that is the foundation for better cooperation between all beings. If one does what one says, one develops trust from others.

Q6: Can people going about their ordinary lives in their families and communities affect the world situation?

A: Yes. In epidemics, one person gets sick and it spreads. In the same way, peace needs to start from one person and spread through the family, community and region. One person can definitely have an impact on world peace. In Tibet there is a saying: A drop of water can create an ocean. Please convey my request that everyone do whatever they can to create peace in their hearts.

I find Q4 particularly relevant to the Shugden controversy.

Everybody has a right to follow their own practice and religion, but it is important not to say negative things about other religions, and even if the opportunity to say negative things comes, to practice compassion and put the teachings into practice.

No matter how much negativity comes from the other side, if your response is more positive, more patient, certainly time will pass and anger will pass from the other side. This we can see in our lives. Sometimes if a person is aggravating to us and we don't respond in the same aggravated way, the other person will give up their anger or aggravation.

I wonder if Yongyal Rinpoche was openly practising Dorje Shugden back then? Regardless, it is relevant to us who are affected by the ban in one way or another. He advocates peace, positivity, patience and non-agression - advice that matches perfect with his point in Q3 about following the true teachings of Buddhism. Matches also with Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche's stance about the ban and Shugden's practice. (check out the radio interview on the homepage of dorjeshugden.com - scroll to the bottom)

In the world we need to think about our interdependence. Everything we have in our lives comes through the collective actions of countless people. To survive as a world, to sustain the human race and protect all beings, we need to realize this.

This got me thinking and I agree. The fall of Tibet was the collective karma of the Tibetans, nothing could prevent it, not Nechung, not Dalai Lama, not Dorje Shugden and certainly not you or me. If that is the case then the ban is also a result of our collective karma. Dalai Lama created the ban but we Shugden supporters obviously have the karma to experience the sufferings caused by it also.

It helps me when I think of it in this way. Just like if I had a road accident and banged up my new Chevy, I would be upset but when I think that I had it coming due to my karma, I get over it quick and just deal with it.

If we are to accept the pain, anger, frustration of this ban, and dedicate the merits to the speedy ending of the ban, isn't that one way of making the ban easier to live with. Just like Ribur Rinpoche happily suffered torture in prison to dedicate to others, we can adopt his example.

thor

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »

I didnt know that, is it mentioned anywhere else?

Kyabje Yongyal Rinpoche gives a teaching on tsongkhapa and lamrim here, translated by no other than Zasep Rinpoche. Neat
http://tashicholing.ca/e107/page.php?8

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 04:27:37 AM »
Thanks Dulzin for your sharing.

Q3: So what should people of faith be doing that they are not now doing?

A: One needs to really follow the true teachings of the religion one follows.

I think that all Buddhists should really focus on this - what is the core of our beliefs - isn't it peace and harmony? But others are not being peaceful and harmonious towards us, say some of those who disagree. Then if we act like them, aren't we being just the same as those we are critical of?

Q4: But many religious followers think it is followers of the "other" religion who are not being loving and compassionate. We believe in love and compassion and they don't.

A: Everybody has a right to follow their own practice and religion, but it is important not to say negative things about other religions, and even if the opportunity to say negative things comes, to practice compassion and put the teachings into practice.

A lot of disagreement comes in world because a particular group wants all the advantages for itself and doesn't care about the benefits for others. This needs to be revisited and thought about carefully at a deeper level.

I like this very much. We need to give a positive reaction to a negative cause, in order to break the cycle, otherwise we just continue going round and round in samsara without end.

We need to realise that we are all connected and we need to focus on others rather than ourselves. Such straightforward advice. Love it!

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

crazycloud

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 05:51:27 AM »
QUOTE from http://www.dgtlmonastery.org/AboutUs/Teachers/KyabjeYongyalRinpoche/tabid/109/Default.aspx:
Rinpoche completed all his tantric studies at Gyurmey Tantric University.
During that time, he also received numerous Dharma transmissions and initiations from highly qualified Tibetan masters such as:
- H.H. the Dalai Lama,
- H.H. Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang,
- Kyabje Ling Rinpoche (senior tutor to H.H. the Dalai Lama),
- and Kyabje Zong Rinpoche.
Thus was he transformed into a living treasure vase of the wisdom of the Ganden Oral Transmission Lineage.
END OF QUOTE

Yongyal Rinpoche could only be a Great Master having received transmissions and initiations from such realized Masters as those listed above.
We are very fortunate to live in a world where we can even just hear about such highly realized beings!
Just to imagine the white karma one needs for that is givng me vertigo!
But it is scary to see what most of us do with this karma, and how some of us even manage to turn white karma into black, opportunities into traps.

yes, it is sad to see people do this, turning their good fortune into a meaningless trap!
 :'(

beggar

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

This got me thinking and I agree. The fall of Tibet was the collective karma of the Tibetans, nothing could prevent it, not Nechung, not Dalai Lama, not Dorje Shugden and certainly not you or me. If that is the case then the ban is also a result of our collective karma. Dalai Lama created the ban but we Shugden supporters obviously have the karma to experience the sufferings caused by it also.

Hey big uncle - great interview! thanks for finding and posting!
this is very much a positive way of dealing with any situation and it shows more than ever the strength of these great lamas who never "take up arms" against any situation or person, but look at collective or personal responsibility.

The lamas are always an inspiration to us for this very reason - they are not the ones protesting or speaking badly against those who have harmed them, whether it is the Chinese who took away their country or Dalai Lama who took away their practice. They are showing us a perfect way of going forwards, not backwards. There is a lot we can learn from them, starting with the basic premise of understanding karma, which Yongyal Rinpoche explains clearly above.

Of course, we should not just dismiss what the shugden practitioners are suffering as "just their karma" but at the same time when we listen to what he is saying, we see how much more sense it makes to stop blaming everyone else on the outside, and look at what we can really do to make a difference to this situation and relieve the suffering of others (and therefore the suffering of ourselves also).

Bring awareness to the situation, sure, but then what? Don't just sit there moanin away for the rest of our days, but look at how we might have contributed to a collective karma, and what we can do to change that collective karma.