Author Topic: Dalai Lama Bashing  (Read 76552 times)

Heartspoon

Re: Dalai Lama Bashing
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »
"Monarchs who do what is against the practices
And senseless are mostly praised
By their citizens, for it is hard to know
What will or will not be tolerated.
Hence it is hard to know
What is useful or not (to say).
If useful but unpleasant words
Are hard to speak to anyone else,
What could I, a monk, say to you,
A King who is a lord of the great earth ?"

Nagarjuna

Heartspoon

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2010, 06:58:19 AM »
"If He were a real King, He should protect the people. There may not be any King such as this, who needs to be protected by the people. Is it proper to disturb the peace and harmony by causing conflicts, unleashing terror and shooting demeanous words for the sake of politics ? Does this fulfill the wishes of our great masters? Try to analyze and contemplate on the teachings that had been taught in the Lamrim [stages of path], Lojong [training of mind] and other scriptural texts. Does devoting time in framing detrimental plots and committing degrading act, which seems no different from the act of attacking monasteries wielding swords and spears and draining the holy robes of the Buddha with blood, fulfill the wishes of our great masters?
The Mahayana teachings advocate an altruistic attitude of saving all. Thus why is it not possible for Him, who acclaims Himself to be a Mahayana, to stop worshipping these dubious politics which sustain only His own well-being and His own special pride ?

Statement by an ignorant person

thaimonk

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »

" But some who are narrow minded, not understanding this point, consider this Dharmapala to be like an ordinary worldly being and, with supposed faith in the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, disparage him; or else they indeed admire this great Dharmapala but criticize the Dalai Lama or Panchen Lama. Using either one as a reason not to admire the other and speaking badly about either in any way is the conduct of an ordinary being who, under the influence of attachment and hatred, just tries to help friends and hurt enemies; it obscures the increase of these great holy Aryas' deeds and creates the karmic cause to experience unbearable suffering in the future."

- Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's advice in Music Delighting The Ocean Of Protectors:, 1967

If we belong to the lineage of Trijang Rinpoche and/or our Guru's guru is Trijang Rinpoche, I think the above advice is appropriate to remember and follow.

Heartspoon

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
Of course.
And if we are dharma followers, I think Nagarjuna's advice is appropriate to remember and follow.

Heartspoon

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
And the statement of an ignorant person is not a bad way to help transform one's own mind

thaimonk

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
 I'd rather follow Trijang Rinpoche's advice. Sorry.

Heartspoon

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
I'd rather follow all those advices...

Lineageholder

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
At last, some sanity from Heartspoon instead of denial.

I was beginning to think the world had gone mad.  ;D

Heartspoon

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2010, 02:45:56 PM »
Nowadays, some of HH the Dalai Lama's followers have their own special pride. They claim that HH the Dalai Lama is so superior that they themselves should be considered superior.

HH the Dalai Lama, it is true, is very great, but it does not necessarily follow that one who claims to be among His followers is also great. The greatness of a master depends upon his realization. Blind allegiance to a master cannot make a practitioner superior.

It is common for them to look down on the practitioners of Dorje Shugden, thinking of them
as ignorant practitioners whose practice is not supported by right understanding of the Dharma's true meaning.

Some of them claim that the Dorje Shugden practitioners don't belong anymore to their Gelugpa tradition. Others, go as far as claiming that the Dorje Shugden practitioners are not to be considered as Dharma followers.

These are attitudes commonly found among Tibetan Buddhist monks and lay people.
They may be common attitudes, but they are not Buddhist attitudes.

One who despises another Buddhist school despises the Buddha. He impairs the transmission of the Dharma. The presence of the Dharma is jeopardized by such an attitude, and one becomes cut off from its transmission. This is so because one's refuge vows are based upon reliance on the Enlightened One, His Teachings, and the Holy Community. If one rejects Dharma one breaks one's refuge vow and thereby becomes cut off from the Dharma. By rejecting this Dharma that is the only door to happiness for beings and oneself, one accumulates inexhaustible sin.

Therefore, the Buddha taught that one should also not despise the Dharma of non-Buddhists for it is their source of happiness and benefit. One should not despise or harbour contempt for the doctrines of the Hindus, Christians, or other non-Buddhist religions because this attitude of attachment to one's own side while rejecting the possibility of differences is harmful to one's own spiritual career.

Those people who harbour voiced or unvoiced contempt for the teachings and the lineage of other schools incur great sin and terrible consequences. Worst of all, this attitude is as unnecessary as it is harmful.

One whose Dharma career is tainted by narrow-mindedness and attachment to one's own interests while rejecting those of others will never overcome the many obstacles to the attainment of wisdom or insight.

Sectarianism turns the pure Dharma into poison. Through it, one accumulates great sin. In this life one will be frustrated in one's own Dharma efforts. Upon death, one will fall into hell as swiftly as an arrow shot from a bow. These are the consequences of spending a lifetime in rejecting others' spiritual efforts on such narrow-minded grounds.

Therefore be mindful not to indulge in this attitude that brings so much unsought harm upon yourself. Do not create obstacles to your own Dharma. Strive instead for pure faith and maintain that faith in all manifestations of the Three Jewels, no matter whether they are represented in one school of Tibetan Buddhism or in another. Painstakingly nurture your refuge vows and pure faith and thereby grow truly in the Dharma.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:17:03 PM by Heartspoon »

thaimonk

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
Nowadays, some of HH the Dalai Lama's followers have their own special pride. They claim that HH the Dalai Lama is so superior that they themselves should be considered superior.

HH the Dalai Lama, it is true, is very great, but it does not necessarily follow that one who claims to be among His followers is also great. The greatness of a master depends upon his realization. Blind allegiance to a master cannot make a practitioner superior.

It is common for them to look down on the practitioners of Dorje Shugden, thinking of them
as ignorant practitioners whose practice is not supported by right understanding of the Dharma's true meaning.

Some of them claim that the Dorje Shugden practitioners don't belong anymore to their Gelugpa tradition. Others, go as far as claiming that the Dorje Shugden practitioners are not to be considered as Dharma followers.

These are attitudes commonly found among Tibetan Buddhist monks and lay people.
They may be common attitudes, but they are not Buddhist attitudes.

One who despises another Buddhist school despises the Buddha. He impairs the transmission of the Dharma. The presence of the Dharma is jeopardized by such an attitude, and one becomes cut off from its transmission. This is so because one's refuge vows are based upon reliance on the Enlightened One, His Teachings, and the Holy Community. If one rejects Dharma one breaks one's refuge vow and thereby becomes cut off from the Dharma. By rejecting this Dharma that is the only door to happiness for beings and oneself, one accumulates inexhaustible sin.

Therefore, the Buddha taught that one should also not despise the Dharma of non-Buddhists for it is their source of happiness and benefit. One should not despise or harbour contempt for the doctrines of the Hindus, Christians, or other non-Buddhist religions because this attitude of attachment to one's own side while rejecting the possibility of differences is harmful to one's own spiritual career.

Those people who harbour voiced or unvoiced contempt for the teachings and the lineage of other schools incur great sin and terrible consequences. Worst of all, this attitude is as unnecessary as it is harmful.

One whose Dharma career is tainted by narrow-mindedness and attachment to one's own interests while rejecting those of others will never overcome the many obstacles to the attainment of wisdom or insight.

Sectarianism turns the pure Dharma into poison. Through it, one accumulates great sin. In this life one will be frustrated in one's own Dharma efforts. Upon death, one will fall into hell as swiftly as an arrow shot from a bow. These are the consequences of spending a lifetime in rejecting others' spiritual efforts on such narrow-minded grounds.

Therefore be mindful not to indulge in this attitude that brings so much unsought harm upon yourself. Do not create obstacles to your own Dharma. Strive instead for pure faith and maintain that faith in all manifestations of the Three Jewels, no matter whether they are represented in one school of Tibetan Buddhism or in another. Painstakingly nurture your refuge vows and pure faith and thereby grow truly in the Dharma.

What you say is very good. I fully agree. I come to the conclusion not to disparage any lama or lineage. If they others wish to disparage, then I do my practice and I do not need to disparage them. And that is what I have been saying from the beginning. I thank you for your dharmic agreement.

:)

thaimonk

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
At last, some sanity from Heartspoon instead of denial.

I was beginning to think the world had gone mad.  ;D

Always be a good sangha member wearing maroon tempered in speech even if it is on the forum.

Heartspoon

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »

What you say is very good. I fully agree. I come to the conclusion not to disparage any lama or lineage. If they others wish to disparage, then I do my practice and I do not need to disparage them. And that is what I have been saying from the beginning. I thank you for your dharmic agreement.

Should useful words be uttered, even if they are unpleasant words to be heard ?
Why does Nagarjuna utter those unpleasant words to be heard by the King ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:30:56 PM by Heartspoon »

thaimonk

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Your view and my view of what Dalai Lama is doing is different. So what? We cannot convince eachother of eachother's views. And that is ok. I choose Trijang Rinpoche's views re Dalai Lama.

How long do we discuss the differences? Do we have more similarities perhaps? Perhaps discuss those similarities in our practices would benefit?

Heartspoon

« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »
I am not a partisan of my root guru
I do not hate those who write many things
That are made to appear like a correct path
I hold as a teacher only Him
Whose word possesses reason

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:45:02 PM by Heartspoon »

thaimonk

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »

Then you surpass all the teachers,
your wisdom is greater than theirs,
you have no klesas to overcome,
hence your view is supreme

Your view of those who possess reason or not
is unbiased since you have no karmas that bind,
therefore you need no teacher, as you hear
what you deem as reason and all others are not,

You need no guru, as only those that speak with your
reason you hold.
Hence the tantras become difficult as devotion is not necessary,
all the great masters who hold their gurus supreme, must rewrite the texts.
Ashvagosha, Atisha, Tsongkapa, Shantideva all would follow not a guru
to enlightenment and their devotions are wrong.
Woe to the student who need no guru, such is a time as predicted
in the kaliyuga.