Author Topic: Segyu Monastery  (Read 11335 times)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Segyu Monastery
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Segyu Monastery, another very important monastery of our lineage.

Brief History of Segyu Gaden Phodrang Monastery

The Glorious Segyu Gaden Phodrang is not only the fountainhead monastery of the Gaden lineage’s Great Secret Tantric Monasteries, which were founded prior to the Upper and Lower Tantric Colleges of Central Tibet, but as stated in the religious history texts, its practice-tradition has for a long time been spread throughout Tibet.

It is evident that in the middle of the fifteenth century (1430-32 A.D.) this Tantric monastery of the Segyupas was founded by Jetsun Sherab Sengge, a direct and principle disciple of the incomparable Je Tsongkhapa the Great, the pioneer of the Riwo Gaden tradition, who had also empowered him to be the holder of the Great Secret Tantric teachings, and Dulnagpa Palden Zangpo, a direct diciple of Jetsun Sherab Sengge.

Historically speaking, when Je Tsongkhapa the Great was turning the wheel of the Dharma at Sera Tse in the Earth-Boar Year, 1419 A.D., and Jamchen Choje offered him a seed-contribution for establishing a Tantric monastery, Je Rinpoche asked the gathering of his spiritual sons who among them would be able to preserve and promote his Tantric teachings, such as Guhyasamaja. When asked twice and no other master was confident to respond, Jetsun Sherab Sengge stood up from the gathering, and after prostrating to Je Tsongkhapa, roared like a lion that he would do it in accordance with Je Rinpoche’s wishes. Although others were perplexed, Je Rinpoche was very happy. and as he blessed and empowered him to be the holder of the unsurpassed Secret Tantra with the gifts of a skull cup filled with inner offerings, a holy golden statue of Guhyasamaja, the Four-in-One Commentary of Guhyasamaja, two Tantric commentaries, texts of the Generation and the Completion Stages, a treasure-discovered mask of Dharmaraja, ritual dance costumes, and a club.Je Tsongkhapa advised him to go to the Tsang province and institute the study and teaching of Tantra there. He also predicted that a Yaksha would become his main patron and that he would have many fortunate disciples. including a yogi who has been taken care of by Yamantaka in many lifetimes.

In keeping with this prediction, Jetsun Sherab Sengge and his spiritual son visited Tsang and extensively taught Tantra at Lhunpo Tse at the invitation and under the patronage of Situ Sonam Pel and Dagmo Shakya Pel. Many scholars attended the teachings, including Phag Od Yunten Gyatso, the master of Lhunpo Tse monastery. Jetsun Sherab Sengge instituted there the ritual accomplishment schedule according to Je Tsongkhapa’s practice-tradition, and also the study and teaching of Tantra. He gave the mask of Dharmaraja to the monastery as its object of worship. Subsequently, at Sengge Tse, he gave Tantric commentaries and also a bare perceptual commentary of the five stages to Je Gendun Drup (the first Dalai Lama) and others.

Later, under the patronage of Se Rinchen Tse, he gave commentaries and pith instructions to many great scholars at Se Gaden Phodrang and therby founded the magnificent Tantric monastery called Upper Tantric College, or Segyu. Gradually, the fame of Segyu Monastery spread in all directions. He handed over the monastery to his spiritual son Dulnagpa Palden Zangpo and gave the Four-in-One Commentary of Guhyasamaja that Je Rinpoche has personally given him to the monastery as a study guide. After Dulnagpa, a line of Gyu-Chen or Great Vajra Masters appeared- from Jamyang Gedun Phel until the present. In light of this, Segyu Gaden Phodrang Monastery has been the lifeblood of the Riwo Gaden (Gelug) tradition, where the study and teaching of Tantra with its pith commentaries have been preserved without degeneration.

http://segyugadenphodrang.org/

kris

Re: Segyu Monastery
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
@LosangTenpa, thank you for sharing this information, and it is good to see they have a website to connect to the world. I was wondering where is this monastery now, and from their website, they are located in Kathmandu Nepal.

Does anyone knows how many monks are there in the monastery?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
It is a fairly small monastery, with about 20 monks. As many know, Segyu was instrumental in preserving many tantric lineages. They are also steadfast in keeping the lineage of Dorje Shugden.

9 of the lineage holders petitioned in the Yamantaka lineage prayer were former abbots of Segyu.

There are now raising funds to build a new prayer hall in the form of a Chenrezig mandala. The designs are quite beautiful.

See the new prayer hall here:
http://segyugadenphodrang.org/new-prayer-hall-project/

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Thanka at Segyu monastery:13 deity Yamantaka featuring Dorje Shugden.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:36:18 PM »
Thank you for posting the history. I have heard of Segyu Rinpoche who was recognized by the 98th Gaden Tri Rinpoche, as a master and holder of the Segyu lineage. Segyu Rinpoche studied Tibetan Medicine apart from traditional training. Rinpoche works on establishing Juniper as an authentic lineage of Buddhist training and healing, and teaching Juniper's founders and others to hold and perpetuate this tradition. Rinpoche is Juniper's teacher, directs the Juniper Integrative Care Clinic, and is a coauthor of Juniper’s content.

SEGYU RINPOCHE

Here is a short extract from an article that appeared in Tricycle, edition Spring 2012

Buddhist Training for Modern Life
An interview with the founder of the Juniper School, Segyu Rinpoche

Segyu Rinpoche is not your typical Tibetan monk. Born to Brazilian parents in Rio de Janeiro, he trained as an electrical engineer before becoming a master healer in Brazil’s rich healing tradition. Later drawn to the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, he studied for 25 years under the guidance of Gelug master Kyabje Lati Rinpoche (1922–2010), former abbot of Tibet’s Gaden Shartse Monastery. In 1983, shortly after arriving in the United States, he was recognized by the head of the Gelug school as holder of the Tibetan Buddhist lineage known as the Segyu.

As a Westerner, Segyu Rinpoche is unequivocal and outspoken when it comes to issues often sidestepped by the Gelug hierarchy. Women, he insists, qualify for full ordination. Same-sex relationships? They in no way contradict the Buddha’s teachings; in fact, they are consistent with them.

As a teacher, Segyu Rinpoche is highly innovative, modifying or dismissing those rituals, practices, and beliefs he considers irrelevant, and indeed obstructive, when it comes to transmitting the teachings to Westerners. Following the advice of the Dalai Lama, he has concluded that many of the traditional Tibetan practices and ways of teaching must be adapted to the cultural sensibilities of Westerners if Westerners themselves will one day successfully serve as lineage holders. At the same time, he remains rooted in his tradition.

Segyu Rinpoche has a relaxed relationship with his students—one that is more easily defined by respect than by rigid hierarchy. Together with his students he founded the Juniper school, whose apt motto is “Buddhist training for modern life.”

Tricycle caught up with Segyu Rinpoche at his home in Redwood City, California.

—James Shaheen

You received Buddhist teachings from traditional Tibetan monks, who recognized you as a tulku, a reincarnate lama. How did you come to this tradition?
Ever since I was a child in Brazil, I had been interested in the meaning of spiritual life, and I was often told I had a special gift in this area. Although I trained in the tradition of Brazilian healing, at first I didn’t pay full attention to my inner life. I graduated from college as an engineer, married and had a daughter, and worked in the computer industry for a while. But eventually it became clear that ignoring my spiritual life was a mistake.

One day a friend showed me a statue of Je Tsongkhapa, the founder of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism, and told me that I had a very strong connection with him. I recognized the statue from visions I’d had as a young boy. That was the beginning of my interest in the Buddhist path. The more I entered into the Buddhist tradition, the easier it was for me. It made intuitive sense. Eventually I was recognized as a reincarnate master and my teacher, Kyabje Lati Rinpoche—one of the great contemporary Tibetan Buddhist masters—pushed me to become a teacher myself.

What led you to set off in your own direction?
I felt the teachings were not being fully transmitted to Westerners. There were many barriers. I saw that the lamas had a difficult time understanding the psychological profile of Westerners. It was difficult for Westerners to absorb the teachings as they were transmitted and to maintain them. For example, Westerners like to question and explore, and we adapt to new information quickly. Tibetan monastic education, in contrast, perpetuates a tradition without questioning it. It rarely changes. Also, while Westerners respect monastic life, it is not significant in our culture the way it has been in others. So to transmit these teachings in the West, we have to overcome these and other barriers.

It sounds like you realized this early on, but it was a while before you acted on these insights.
I was continuing to shape my skills, particularly in healing, which is really about cultivating and applying energy for the benefit of others. And it took time to understand how to bridge the gap. I was lucky to have an unbelievable master, Kyabje Lati Rinpoche, the former abbot of Gaden Shartse monastery, under whom I studied from 1984 until his passing in 2010. But the challenge was a big one—-building a bridge between a thousand-year-old Tibetan monastic tradition and a modern world that is so different. How could Westerners become fully capable of holding that lineage and the energy associated with it? How could Westerners themselves learn to transmit the teachings?

What answers did you arrive at?
I felt that Tibetans, after a half century outside Tibet, were teaching the tantras to Westerners in an overly intellectual way. They were not transmitting the energy itself, as they did in the monasteries. Every day you can see new gurus and tantric masters showing up, giving empowerments, and moving on. Yet where are the Westerners holding this lineage energy? Why can’t a Westerner give an initiation?

Where did these questions put you in relation to the tradition?
I am within the tradition. I respect and honor it, and the work I’d done earlier in Brazil was parallel to it. But I did not blindly follow it. I was able to distinguish between the Tibetan culture and the essence of the teachings. I continued doing my healing work while teaching the classical Tibetan tradition. Eventually I had a fair number of exceptional students, but many felt there were barriers to comprehending the Tibetan tradition.

About ten years ago, some of these students came to me with questions like, “Why do we have to follow forms that are foreign to us? Is this a condition for inner growth, or would it be better to find ways more culturally appropriate?” What could I say to this? I agreed with the problem. So we began a process of challenging assumptions, discussing the teachings, their relevance to Westerners, and the cultural barriers. One thing we all agreed on was that accessibility was an issue.

Later on we saw that His Holiness the Dalai Lama had written in his book The Meaning of Life from a Buddhist Perspective, “It is important to adopt the essence of Buddha’s teaching, recognizing that Buddhism as it is practiced by Tibetans is influenced by Tibetan culture and thus it would be a mistake to try to practice a Tibetanized form of Buddhism.” And that’s exactly it. Solving that challenge is what we were doing.

From: http://www.tricycle.com/interview/buddhist-training-modern-life

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27:12 AM »
Here's a nice bio of Segyu Rinpoche that I find. I like this trend of more tulkus becoming westerners as opposed to the traditional tibetans. It shows that Dharma is a global thing, not just a Tibetan thing. And he is retrofitting the teachings into the idealogies and culture of his birth country to spread it more effectively and even formed a new lineage. That is how lineages and the Dharma grows!

Born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Rinpoche earned a degree in electrical engineering at Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro while also becoming a master in Brazil’s rich healing tradition. In 1983, Rinpoche moved to the United States and shortly thereafter was recognized by the 98th Gaden Tri Rinpoche, the spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism’s Gelug School, as a master and holder of a renowned Tibetan Buddhist lineage known as the Segyu.

Rinpoche’s primary teacher was Kyabje Lati Rinpoche (1922-2010), one of Tibetan Buddhism’s most acclaimed masters of recent times and the former abbot of Tibet’s famous Gaden Shartse Monastery. Rinpoche spent over twenty-five years studying under Kyabje Lati Rinpoche, and other Tibetan masters, and collecting the ancient wisdom and methods of Tibetan Buddhist thought. In tandem with this training, Rinpoche studied Tibetan Medicine, a tradition of healing that integrates the philosophy and practices of the Buddhist path.

Having taught Buddhism to many students throughout the world, since 2003 Rinpoche has dedicated his efforts to establishing Juniper as an authentic lineage of Buddhist training and healing, and teaching Juniper's founders and others to hold and perpetuate this tradition. Rinpoche is Juniper's teacher, directs the Juniper Integrative Care Clinic, and is a coauthor of Juniper’s content.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
New prayer hall project needs support!

The plans are to create a new prayer hall in the shape of a Chenrezig mandala. The designs are beautiful.

See website to check out the designs and read more about this exciting project!!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 04:24:25 AM »
I have a question about Segyu Ganden Phodrang tho: is Segyu Rinpoche also part of Segyu Ganden Phodrang? is he a Dorje Shugden Lama? If he was trained by Lati Rinpoche, chances are that he is. It would be nice for him to spread the Dorje Shugden teachings to the westerners in the way that the westerners expect their Dharma to be. If I am not mistaken, there is also another Segyu tantric college that is endorsed by the Dalai Lama (the clean version with no Dorje Shugden inside) how is that one doing? The website of Segyu Ganden Phodrang is impressive though. It looks very modern and progressive. I hope to hear more updates from this monastery!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:07:23 AM »
Fascinating history of this important monastery. The first tantric monastery of the Gelug tradition.

http://segyugadenphodrang.org/history/

Also a new prayer hall is in need of support:

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
This is new article on Segyu Gaden Phodrang Monasgtery

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/places/segyu-gaden-phodrang-monastery/

Segyu (or Segyued) Monastery is one of the most important historical Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in the Gelug tradition. It was founded in the middle of the 15th century by Jetsun Sherab Sengge, a direct and principle disciple of Lama Tsongkapa, founder of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. It is in Segyu Monastery that the foundation of Lama Tsongkapa’s tantric teachings such as Guhyasamaja, Heruka and Yamantaka was developed and preserved according to tradition until today.

Jetsun Sherab Sengge
Jetsun Sherab Sengge was known for his perfect moral conduct from childhood. After becoming a monk at a young age, he studied under various great masters, the foremost of which was Lama Tsongkapa himself. Known for his mental and spiritual brilliance, this eminent master was a great tantric scholar and one of Lama Tsongkapa’s eight closest disciples.

In the year 1419, when Lama Tsongkapa was near the end of his life, Tsongkapa asked a mass gathering of his spiritual sons who among them would be able to preserve and promote his tantric teachings. Such a huge task and responsibility was overwhelming even for the many great masters present except for one. Lama Tsongkapa asked the question again for the second time but still none of his spiritual sons were able to respond with confidence. Then Jetsun Sherab Sengge stood up from the crowd, made three prostrations to Lama Tsongkapa and said that he would preserve and promote Lama Tsongkapa’s teachings in accordance with Lama Tsongkapa’s wishes. It was at this moment that Jetsun Sherab Sengge was blessed and empowered by Lama Tsongkapa as the holder of the unsurpassed Secret Tantra.

Lama Tsongkapa presented Jetsun Sherab Sengge auspicious gifts of a skull cup filled with inner offering, a holy golden statue of Guhyasamaja, the four-in-one commentary of Guhyasamaja – two tantric commentaries and texts of the Generation and the Completion Stages, a Dharmaraja mask, ritual dance costumes, and a club. Jetsun Sherab Sengge was then instructed to institute the study and teaching of Tantra in the Tsang province of Tibet, where Lama Tsongkapa predicted Jetsun Sherab Sengge would have many bright disciples.

With Lama Tsongkapa’s blessings and a firm determination to spread the teachings of Tantra, Jetsun Sherab Sengge and his spiritual son, Dulnagpa Palden Zangpo, left for the Tsang province, where he gave great commentaries and instructions to many eminent scholars at Se Gaden Phodrang. It was here that the Tantric monastery known as the Upper Tantric College, also known as Segyu, was founded by Jetsun Sherab Sengge.

Since then, Segyu Monastery’s fame spread far and wide, and it became the centre of Tantric practice and education. Jetsun Sherab Sengge and his disciples had successfully established the foundation for Vajrayana practices such as Guhyasamaja, Heruka, and Yamantaka in accordance with Lama Tsongkapa’s tradition.

During the events of 1959, only 40 monks from the original Segyu monastery successfully fled Tibet to India. During this time, many of the Segyu monks faced great hardship and financial difficulties. Some of the monks were sent to do construction work while others performed religious rites for the local populace.

In 1979, His Holiness Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang visited Kalimpong twice, during which he advised the monks that it was extremely important to ordain new monks and preserve the special tradition of Segyu monastery as it was, and still is, the source of the Tantric lineage in the Gelug tradition. With Trijang Rinpoche’s advice in mind, the Segyu monks determined to find a way to rebuild the destroyed Segyu Monastery despite the challenges they would face.

In 1986, some sponsors came forward to offer a small piece of land near the famous Boudha Stupa in Nepal, on which a simple prayer hall and shelter was constructed. The new Segyu monastery was thus established in Kathmandu, where the Segyu monastic community continues the practice that was entrusted to them by Lama Tsongkapa to this day.

At present, Segyu Monastery in Nepal has not changed since it was built in 1986. Although it is one of the most important Tantric monasteries in the Gelug tradition, Segyu monastery faces tremendous financial difficulties, which are obstacles to the monastery’s growth and expansion. The monastery’s main prayer hall can only seat a maximum of 50 monks at any given time, and the constant lack of funding means insufficient housing for the monks.

It is obvious that the ban on Dorje Shugden is the major contributing factor to the monastery’s hardship. Ever since the ban was enforced in 1997, the Segyu monks in Kathmandu decided to break off from the rest of the Gelugpa community, even separating themselves from Segyu Monastery’s branch in Kalimpong, which abides by H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama’s dictates. Segyu monastery in Nepal thus became an independent monastery despite knowing the many challenges they would face both politically and socially.

In spite of this separation, the Segyu monks continue to uphold the promise that the monastery’s founder, Jetsun Sherab Sengge made to Lama Tsongkapa so many centuries ago. Their guru devotion and integrity in continuing the lineage that was once practiced in Segyu Monastery Tibet has lost them the support of the Dalai Lama and Central Tibetan Administration. The violence instigated by the ban on Dorje Shugden has also stuck terror in many of their lay supporters, causing them to stop their sponsorship in fear of being associated with Dorje Shugden practitioners. It is not difficult to conclude that Segyu monastery in Nepal is falling apart due to the discrimination caused by the Dorje Shugden ban, while Segyu monastery in Kalimpong continues to prosper.

Up till today, Segyu Monastery continues their practices, upholds the three principal pratimoksha precepts, and keeps their unique lineage alive and authentic. The traditional rituals of Segyu Monastery are still performed during the summer retreats in the same manner as the original Segyu Monastery in Tibet. Every year during the rains retreat, the monks of Segyu Monastery also perform a variety of higher tantric retreats such as Yamantaka and Guhyasamaja, and a special Dorje Shugden Kangsol offering puja.

Outwardly, Segyu Monastery today no longer has the grandeur it once had in Tibet, but the monks’ determination has ensured the continuity and growth of Lama Tsongkapa’s pure lineage and tantric teachings for future generations. It is for this very reason that Segyu Monastery is well known as a stronghold for Dorje Shugden practitioners and many acclaimed Dorje Shugden masters have visited Segyu Monastery in Nepal such as Kyabje Daknak Dorje Chang.

Today, Segyu Monastery continues to be independent of the monastery in Kalimpong and propitiates our great Dharma Protector Dorje Shugden. The great Abbot of Segyu Monastery in Nepal, H.E. Jampa Tsundu is raising funds to build a new prayer hall for the monks, replacing their current prayer hall. Financial assistance to build this new prayer hall is urgently needed to create a more conducive environment for the monks to teach and learn Lama Tsongkapa’s secret whispered lineage, ensuring the tradition that was once practiced in Tibet continues to live on in Segyu Monastery in Nepal.

We at dorjeshugden.com rejoice at the determination and integrity of the monks in Segyu monastery for their continuous effort in transmitting the pure lineage of Lama Tsongkapa’s teachings. May their new prayer hall be funded quickly for the continuation of the BuddhaDharma.

To contribute and support the monks of Segyu Monastery, Nepal, please contact the following persons:

Sonam Tsering Kansakar (Secretary)
Mobile no.: +977 9801021941
Email: [email protected]

Palden Gurung (Vice Secretary)
Mobile no.: +977 9808062366
Email: [email protected]

We fold our hands to the people who are preserving the tantric traditions in accordance to Je Tsongkhapa's
tradition and also Jetsun Sherab Sengge instructions. They do it by severing themselves from the main Segyu Monastery who is under the auspices of the Dalai Lama. They know if they keep their samaya with their Gurus and Lama Dorje Shugden they will face insurmountable obstacles and difficulties. Yet they stolidly persevere and do what needs to be done.

A great many thanks to Kyabjye Daknak Rinpoche who is watching over them and giving them support. Kyabjye Daknak Rinpoche is doing great works in many countries and keeping to the practice of Dorje Shugden.

RedLantern

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
It just amazing to know Segyu Monastery continues to do their practices,uphold the 3 principles pratimoksa precepts,and keeps the unique  lineage alive and authentic!Due to the monks determination and hard work to continue to uphold Lama Tsongkapa's pure lineage and tantric teachings and a well known as a stronghold for Dorje Shugden's practitioners and many acclaim Dorje Shugden masters have visited Segyu Monastery in Nepal.
May this Monastery always be in it's former glory as the principle holder of the tantra lineage of our precious lineage.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
What is amazing about the monks of this monastery is they willingly endure suffering to keep their commitments to their gurus. they know fully well if they give up their Dorje Shudgen practice then they will get all kinds of help and assistance. If they align themselves with the Segyu monastery under His holiness the Dalai lama then their future is assured.

But they chose the rocky road instead, I heard spiritual practitioners always picked the harder path. Very dharmic actions applied by the monks of the Segyu Monastery.