Author Topic: A Guide to Spiritual Practice  (Read 8264 times)

DharmaSpace

A Guide to Spiritual Practice
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
A wonderful article on all the subjects and dharma texts we need to familiarise our minds to get the maximum benefit from the Je tsongkhapa tradition. This is a very good overview of the learning and practices we should cover as adherents of Gaden tradition.

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/dharma-readings/a-guide-to-spiritual-practice/

Blueupali

• Email
Re: A Guide to Spiritual Practice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
I appreciate the person writing this article seems to be trying to not take sides.  That is good activity for some of us.
  Others of us have the activity of helping people understand that you can read whatever you want, but there is no reason to bother reading the DL books in depth.  Because he is not actually, an adherent of the Ganden/Gelugpa tradition.  He rather much mixes up the traditions in a jumble, unlike real rime masters (he doesn't understand rime).
  It's good at first, to read whatever you feel like reading, then maybe later you will be able (hopefully) to pick a tradition and stick mainly to whatever they teach, though individual lamas have different paths for different lineages--- the basic tenant of the Dalai is as long as he gets to be in charge and you read something he okays, then he likes you, if his sudden attempt at being in charge is not acceded to, then he won't like you.
  I'm mentioning this because I feel it is helpful for people to understand that they have choice; they can read what they want, but it is right, not wrong when a teacher tells us to follow a path they have laid out--- assuming we have examined them long enough to trust them.  Having to constantly read new texts put out by people who won't help our particular path though, like for me, this includes the DL, is pretty much a waste of Dharma time.  (The Buddha wrote 84,000 teachings for instance, it's not appropriate to try to read and study all the different ones, we have to focus on our path).

Rihanna

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:56:41 AM »
Such a clear, simple and concise to read overview to guide spiritual seekers to the path. The section that I like the most is on where to search for Spiritual Guides. It  makes it easy for beginners. Your recommendation will be good because ds.com is a trusted site. More so, masters like H.H. Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche whose Dharma Protector is Dorje Shugden in this life and previous lives, and his present incarnation is recognised by the Dalai Lama himself is undisputably a great master.

I pray that all spiritual seekers will be able find a teacher to continue with their spiritual journey.

kelly

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »
Thank you for the writer who give us this simple yet clear explanation . Seeking a teacher in our spiritual practice is very important because this is the person be able to guide yes and explain to us on the Buddha teaching base on your level of understating, if we read a dharma text a lot of us might not be able to understand the meaning and how do we apply the teaching on our daily life. Search for the right teaching that suit you us very important because there is so many different matters we can apply to achieve our spiritual goal.

kris

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
when people hear about Dorje Shugden, many of them will immediately think about the controversy, the ban, etc... but we need to remember that why we engage Dorje Shugden practice is to learn the Dharma and gain enlightenment. This is a very good article which gives overview to start our spiritual journey.

As mentioned in the article, it is very important to have a qualified Guru, for without a qualified Guru, it is easy for us to go the wrong path..

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
Guys,  I totally agree that it is good that people look carefully and pray to all the Buddhas to help them find a spiritual guide.
  It is good, excellent in fact, to listen to our qualified spiritual guide.
  So one thing I would find is a person who follows their spiritual guides as a teacher.
  Ven. Geshe Kelsang, Ven. Trijang Rinpoche and Ven. Kundeling Rinpoche, Gangchen Rinpoche are all lamas who overtly kept their commitments to their teachers.
  The Dalai broke with his spiritual guides, and mixed the Dharma in a way that is not Ganden.
  Just saying.  Because some people commit to their spiritual guide before they understand that sort of thing, and if you notice your spiritual guide broke with his spiritual guide, well, then go ahead and  follow his example on this one thing, and break with your spiritual guide, who broke samaya with his, and then go and find, with a clear conscious, a valid and qualified guide to lead you.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Thanks Dharma Space for this sharing.
This is an important article to understand on spirituality practices. 
I like what is said in the article on spiritual practice that spiritual practices can be incorporated into our daily lives. Many people do not think that dharma is the solutions for our daily life problem. If we practice dharma and melt dharma in our daily life, we can see the solution is in dharma.

To add on, to rely on a spiritual guide is so important , it make me understand that The Guru is the root of the spiritual path and the foundation of all spiritual attainments. It is so true that without a Guru we can't even know the method to practice dharma and to purify our negative karma. Karma is not accumulated just today, but everyday, every minute. The worst part, karma always multiply.

And, it is so essential to have dharma protector Like Dorje Shugden to protect on our spiritual journey. Dorje Shugden not only protect our spiritual journey this life but life after life until we achieve enlightenment. 

May the ban lift faster to enable more people be in Dorje Shugden's practice

happysun

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
I really like this article, very simple, direct and easy to understand. It is a good article for the new people who just starting their spiritual journey. The article give us a very clear guideline step by step. I was read the article few days ago, now still thinking find some time read again.  ;D

The spiritual practice is not a easy journey for all of us who still have a lot of desires and attachments. However through reading and learning we can gain more knowledge then we will willing do more and generated a higher motivation then achieve a higher spiritual attainment.

I feel so luckily can encounter this article, then I have a more understanding picture for my spiritual path. Thank you for DS.com team.  :) :)   

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »
Thank you Dharma Space for highlighting this article. The words "spiritual practice" have a very in-depth meaning and many people new to Buddhism could be overwhelmed with so much details. The explanations given to some of the important terms are easy to understand and further reading suggestions are provided for those who are keen to know more.
Dorjeshugden.com is the best site to look for answers relating to queries on Buddhism. Thank you also for keeping us informed of the latest news on the works of the DS high lamas.

lotus1

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 09:16:24 PM »
This is a very good article! Simple and easy to read, and equipped with the important information that we need to kick start on our spiritual journey. I especially like the link of the spiritual guide. This is very important for us to know who are the authentic lineage Guru that we can follow. I also like all the link and references that we can get further information on each topic. Thank you very much dorjeshugden.com.  :)

dondrup

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 03:33:27 AM »
Thank You dorjeshugden.com for this well-written article on spiritual practice.  It has consolidated and highlighted all the essential practices within the incomparable Lama Tsongkhapa Lineage which provide the complete path to liberation and enlightenment. Useful links and references are also conveniently provided.  A must-read for serious spiritual seekers!

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »
Okay, someone please explain why they are so happy about the Dalai Lama around here?  Please.  Just explain.  Go ahead, I am listening (you guys I am serious.  Okay, explain).
  Thank you.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
A simple guide to Spiritual Practice by DS.com
The most important thing one should do before furthering one's spiritual journey is to look for a qualified Guru. Once a Guru has been identified then we must follow the Guru no matter what and also to have faith in the Guru.
An article so well written and explain. Thank you.

RedLantern

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »

A very useful simplified information on the Gelugpa spiritual practice.Lama Tsongkapa presented a special arrangement of Sutra and Tantra practice which can lead one into full Enlightenment in one short lifetime and this tradition will spread all over eventually.Dorje Shugden practice will benefit many when the ban is lifted. Thank you DS.com  for sharing this article.

Tenzin K

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
This is really a good post for beginners that seeking for spiritual practice. It gives the reason and example that easy to understand and the references help a lot.

From this post it’s like a road map guiding us step by step towards the spiritual path and can see that the Dharma Protector is also one of the important practices that help us in our spiritual practice. From the explanation Lord Shugden is a complete embodiment of the enlightened being that we can rely on to support us in our spiritual journey.

Thank you again for sharing the guide of the Gelugpa spiritual practices which so much easy to follow. More people will be benefitted and understand the practice.