Author Topic: Dalai Lama's successor?...  (Read 13496 times)

ilikeshugden

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama's successor?...
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
Dalai Lama's successor has already been appointed. The successor is the Tibetan Prime Minister. This is extremely sad as it shows how to institute of the Dalai Lamas are fading. It is a shame that it will continually fade as it had begun fading a while ago when the Dalai Lama had to speak harshly and "Lie" (Although it is for our eventual benefit).

Tibet is slowly turning into a more materialistic country. The mysticism of Buddhism from Tibet is fading. Even people from the Tibetan settlements in India do not wish to send their children to become monks. Monks are disrobing. The lineage is fading.

I think this is because the karma and the merits of the Tibetans are running out. The Dharma is spreading to Europe and America. Especially, the eastern countries like China and Japan.

I do hope that the Tibetan Prime Minister and His Holiness have long lives. I wish that the Prime Minister of Tibet will do good for his country.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
Dalai Lama's successor has already been appointed. The successor is the Tibetan Prime Minister. This is extremely sad as it shows how to institute of the Dalai Lamas are fading. It is a shame that it will continually fade as it had begun fading a while ago when the Dalai Lama had to speak harshly and "Lie" (Although it is for our eventual benefit).

Tibet is slowly turning into a more materialistic country. The mysticism of Buddhism from Tibet is fading. Even people from the Tibetan settlements in India do not wish to send their children to become monks. Monks are disrobing. The lineage is fading.

I think this is because the karma and the merits of the Tibetans are running out. The Dharma is spreading to Europe and America. Especially, the eastern countries like China and Japan.

I do hope that the Tibetan Prime Minister and His Holiness have long lives. I wish that the Prime Minister of Tibet will do good for his country.

On a secular level, yes, the sikyong/kalon tripa is the successor, but on a spiritual level, the Dalai Lama's position is a huge void. It will take a very capable lama to fill that void which traditionally it would be filled by the Panchen Lama, but since the tibetans wont accept China's Panchen Lama, it is going to be a hard and long void. But lets look at the current kalon tripa: he has 0 achievements so far since he took office, has not been brave enough to state his own opinion, has not made any major changes to the ganden phodrang, and has only been parroting the Dalai Lama's words, and effectively, using the Dalai Lama as a crutch. How can he lead the tibetans when the Dalai Lama is gone? I doubt it.

Big Uncle

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Hey people, let's face it. I think the institution of the Dalai Lama with absolute political and spiritual power in Tibet is too archaic for our time. When spirituality and politics are intertwined, its a recipe for disaster because people today have even less merits to understand and have faith in the Dalai Lama. Hence, with such an institution people would question and develop doubts and ultimately wrong views about the Dalai Lama. Therefore, the Dalai Lama has skillfully retired from office and ensured that the CTA are geared towards democracy by running elections and appointing the Sikyong Lobsang Sangay via these elections.

However, people look towards the Dalai Lama not for his politics but for his spiritual leadership, embodiment and teachings. The Sikyong does not fulfill this role at all and there are rumors that the Karmapa will be the next spiritual leader to take over from the Dalai Lama because of their close association in recent times. Actually a successor for the Dalai Lama is really unnecessary but considering how weakly the CTA is handling pressing issues, the Tibetan cause and not taking steps to lift the ban, a successor appears to be of paramount importance now to lead and reassure the people the way the Dalai Lama does for his people. I wonder who it will be still. Perhaps it is the Karmapa, perhaps it is Kyabje Ling Rinpoche or perhaps it would be Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche. At the moment, these 3 Lamas comes to mind and I don't have concrete reasons for these Lamas except for the Karmapa because the Dalai Lama did openly say he was grooming him.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
Hey people, let's face it. I think the institution of the Dalai Lama with absolute political and spiritual power in Tibet is too archaic for our time. When spirituality and politics are intertwined, its a recipe for disaster because people today have even less merits to understand and have faith in the Dalai Lama. Hence, with such an institution people would question and develop doubts and ultimately wrong views about the Dalai Lama. Therefore, the Dalai Lama has skillfully retired from office and ensured that the CTA are geared towards democracy by running elections and appointing the Sikyong Lobsang Sangay via these elections.

However, people look towards the Dalai Lama not for his politics but for his spiritual leadership, embodiment and teachings. The Sikyong does not fulfill this role at all and there are rumors that the Karmapa will be the next spiritual leader to take over from the Dalai Lama because of their close association in recent times. Actually a successor for the Dalai Lama is really unnecessary but considering how weakly the CTA is handling pressing issues, the Tibetan cause and not taking steps to lift the ban, a successor appears to be of paramount importance now to lead and reassure the people the way the Dalai Lama does for his people. I wonder who it will be still. Perhaps it is the Karmapa, perhaps it is Kyabje Ling Rinpoche or perhaps it would be Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche. At the moment, these 3 Lamas comes to mind and I don't have concrete reasons for these Lamas except for the Karmapa because the Dalai Lama did openly say he was grooming him.

However, if you want to look at the current situation, what is clear and apparent is that the sikyong/kalon tripa is incapable of making his own decision with regards to everything that goes on in the CTA. He is still hiding behind the Dalai Lama instead of making his own decisions. he has been parotting what the Dalai Lama has said instead of standing on his own feet. Not a very good indication that he will be a good leader. It is the best for the sikyong to actually stand up and say that CTA has no say in the religious beliefs of others.

Solomon Lang

• Who is d wise man? He who sees what's to born.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 06:50:46 AM »
The history and present day institution of the Dalai Lama is extremely chequered and political. We all know for example how the 5th Dalai Lama came into power - by harnessing the support of the Mongol King against the Tibetan aristocrats.

And the political nature of the institution of the Dalai Lama today extends to H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama's rime proposition.

The truth is that there are stark differences in the spiritual nature of the various Tibetan schools which cannot be changed and the problem lies in the fact that politics and religion are today mixed up in a salad bowl where most cannot tell the difference between the salad and the dressing.

Is the institution of the Dalai Lama going to continue? To me it will not if the institution continues to mix politics and religion which will only end up to the detriment of the Tibetan society at large. If this were to happen, the Tibetans themselves will create the cause for the institution not to continue.
Solomon's Judgement: 2 women came to resolve a quarrel over which was d true mother of a baby. When Solomon suggested they should divide d child in two with a sword, one said she would rather give up d child than see it killed. Solomon then declared d woman who showed compassion 2b the true mother.

lotus1

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:40 AM »
Interesting to note the point that the next dalai lama need not be a reincarnation but could be someone appointed within his lifetime. Hmmmmm ... what could this point mean for the future of the Tib Govt and all their continuing tricks?

Hmmmm…. A Dalai Lama’s successor could be someone appointed within the current Dalai Lama’s lifetime? All the while I was told that Dalai Lama is reincarnated and are the manifestations of the Avalokitesvara. Is it now will be changed by the 14th Dalai Lama?  Or this is to prevent after him, the China will recognise another Dalai Lama that will be politically affecting CTA?
Can the HH Dalai Lama or his institution please do not mix politic with Buddhism?

dondrup

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
Since the imposition of the ban on Dorje Shugden, HHDL has created the  biggest controversy and upheaval in the history of Tibetan Buddhism.
Should HHDL not lift the ban on Dorje Shugden within His present lifetime, i would expect all Shugden followers would not want the institution of the Dalai Lama to continue. The reason is obvious, who wants to continue to be suppressed by the ban if HHDL was reincarnated to continue with the imposition of the ban? If HHDL was to appoint a successor in this lifetime, the institution of Dalai Lama will fall apart as this is not in accordance with the established tulku system in Tibetan Buddhism.

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
To my understanding from a Buddhism perspective these high lamas reincarnate to achieve certain purposes not just for the sake of living among us. If they are no longer needed then it is not necessary to reincarnate. They could still get reborn but for new purposes to serve their Boddhisatva vows but does not have to continue the same line of incarnation. I just see that the May not be a reason for HHTDL to continue the political role since as head of Tibet. From a spiritual perspective, Tibetan Buddinsm is not jeopardized whether HHTDL reincarnates or not. Just my two cents.

eyesoftara

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 08:01:26 AM »
Of course a new Dalai Lama can be appointed as the "Dalai Lama" is a political position. It the "Gyalwa Tulku" lines that cannot be appointed as since the 3rd incarnations of the Gyalwa Tulku, Sonam Gyatso was conferred the tile of the "Dalai Lama" the "Dalai Lama" title has been pass to the subsequent reincarnations of the Gyalwa Tulku lineage. We must however admit that any Dalai Lama that is appointed ie not the reincarnations of the "Gyalwa Tulku" will not be considered with the same reverence.
I think this is what HHDL is trying to tell us. That the Dalai Lama institution itself is just a label and is also subject to impermanence.
I strongly believe the time is ripe for this Dalai Lama institution to cease after the passing of the 14th Dalai Lama. I sorry to say. But the question is who will take over the "reign" as leader of Tibetan Buddhism or is there a need at all?

brian

• Email
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
Does this really paths the way for Dalai Lama to so called 'step down' from his stardom? Does this mean it will path the way to Panchen Lama to succeed the throne to be the leader of Tibetan Buddhism? Does this mean to tell his devotees to doubt him by making his statements confusing? Will this make his statement on banning the practice of Dorje Shugden practice will also be in doubt? IT is really worth the ponder!